New Anni is Awesome in PVP

I actually played 3 matches last night as watchman, with no previous experience with it other than on the dummy and I did decent damage and felt sturdier, doing 470 HPS and 1900 dps(in combat dps), over an 8 minute stretch.

In Combat and Focus I'm mostly just fodder for the other team.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The flaw here is their raw survivability isn't low at all, it may not be the most survivable class in the game, but it is still better than most. Marauder's PvP issues stim from the hyper mobility meta leaving them behind and easily kitable. Oh and it has a higher skill requirement which means the majority of players can't use it effectively, and this was true even when marauders where the top class.

Can I have some of the drugs that you're doing?

More utility than Awe, Predation, raid-wide heals and, in a WZ at least, Bloodthirst? Okay.

Awe is on a minute long CD, is affected by resolve, and is shared across the Warrior/Knight class, so Juggs/Guardians have it as well. Not a Sent/Mara exclusive.

Predation is on a 30 second CD, and unless you're specced into it, you have to give up one of your major DPS boosters to take it. I will grant you though that this is an awesome ability, and that most take the talent point.

Raidwide heals....that are a joke for healing done. Over the course of a WZ you may have a couple hundred thousand healing in ideal dot spread and ops positioning arrangement, if you're pocket healed, and not focused by the other team. It's rare that your supposedly uber raid wide healing will make any profound impact.

Bloodthirst is on a 5 minute CD and lasts for what, 10s? Uberleet utility brah.

Meanwhile, we have the lowest mobility/rooting ability of any melee class. We cannot taunt to help healers. We have to spend a talent point to get a root. We have 1 interrupt. We have the weakest dot spread in the game of classes that can dot spread. Watchman has a long ramp up time from a cold start. We wear medium armor, and we're melee, which means we're in the thick of all of it, affected by every dot known to man thanks to all the fotm Sorcs and Sins out there spreading their STDs all over the place.

Edited by sloasdaylight

No. It's still much worse than Carnage and Fury. Maybe not in overall numbers you can pull in regs, but in terms of single target pressure it sure is.

The old Watchman (pre. 2.0 with 2% heals) was actually good, as you could get a noticeable burst of healing. The new self heal changes were a homogenization. Simply a boring mechanic, copied from Hatred/Madness. The crit healing we had, was a fun mechanic that let you decide when you wanted a burst of healing.

We also have a HORRIBLE DoT spread. One of the worst in the game. We CANNOT keep our DoTs constantly spread as it's simply impossible to spend 2 focus every 6 seconds without totally killing your single target damage. Sorcs, Sins and Snipers for example can, without the slightest problems. This has nothing to do with challenge as you put it, it's just plain dumb and awful balancing, leaving DoT spreads so insanely different between different classes.

Quick comparison between Mara and Sin/Sorc DoT spread for better understanding:

Sin/Shadow/Sorc/Sage DoT spread aka Deathfield/Force in Balance:

• high internal damage
  • 10/30m range
  • INSANE diameter (bigger than guard range)
  • part of single target rotation
  • places debuff on all affected targets
  • has a negligible cost that won't affect single target damage

Mara/Sent DoT spread aka Smash/Force Sweep:

• extremely low kinetic damage
  • no range
  • pathetic diameter
  • not part of single target rotation
  • doesn't place a debuff on affected targets
  • has a high cost that will completely kill single target damage if used every 6 seconds like it would be needed to keep up the spread constantly

I'm assuming you're talking without having played other classes like Sorcs, Sins or Snipers. Or without knowing what this spec was like in past times. Or without much PvP experience.

Either way, Anni is the worst out of the 3 specs for PvP. And even if it weren't, it's still horrible compared to other DoT specs.

Edited by DynamiCtagez

I've tried out Watchman and you do get some mild healing but it's obviously not going to save you under focus fire and the rotation requires a tad bit of thinking wrt refreshing force melt, combat is much easier, just spam blade rush till dispatch procs then hit precision (and be stunned) and hit zen, dispatch, clashing blast, master strike and go back to spamming blade rush :cool:

I also don't think I've managed to actually spread my burns in Watchman much, if at all.

Edited by Romeugues

I've tried out Watchman and you do get some mild healing but it's obviously not going to save you under focus fire and the rotation requires a tad bit of thinking wrt refreshing force melt, combat is much easier, just spam blade rush till dispatch procs then hit precision (and be stunned) and hit zen, dispatch, clashing blast, master strike and go back to spamming blade rush :cool:

I also don't think I've managed to actually spread my burns in Watchman much, if at all.

I tried to do that when the patch hit, and I would get like 2 ticks of Cauterize on like 1, maybe 2 other people. It's such a joke to try to do it's not even funny.