leveling past 50/story is boring

ibervang

First of, this is my personal opinion. Some might agree and some won't.

I have been here since beta/pre-release, and have leveled one of each classe (8 chars). When Makeb was added, it took me quite some time, to bother leveling all my chars, because there where no divecity in the process. When you had done one faction quest chain, it would be the same again. The reason I have 1 of each class, is because of the class story's.

now with the latest expanion, there isnt even a difference in the faction missions and story. The only difference is a few cutscenes, and a single class mission that takes about 5 mins, which could have been much longer, considering how they did the original class missions. I feel partial forced to do both rishi and yavin 4, just so i can get the class mission, and level my chars. The process is just so mind-numbingly boring. I have leveled 6 of my chars to 60, and worked on a 7th, but I just can't get my self to it, because it is so boring. And it is not if i havent had the time. It feels more like a job.

I get the creating class missions is alot more work, but going to easy path is a bad idea. There are so many mmo's out there. It makes me think of some of those motivation videos "If you won't put in the work, someone else will". If they arent planning on creating more class missions, then atlease give us different leveling areas, like there is in every other mmo.

If they create another expanion like this, i will be completely convinced that they donøt care about the players, and think of us as fools, and i guess that would make me cancel my subscribtion. I am thinking about it now. I have just put so much time and quite a bit of money into the game, and i have played if for so long. Its the mmo I have played the longest... And its Star Wars :)

It has nothing to do with them not caring about the players. It is only for economical reasons. Story content is non-repeatable content. Just think about how people rushed through the Ziost missions and then complained that it was only an hour of game time. BW have to pay writers and voice actors as well as the devs who make the cutscenes for months to produce one hour of game time. Non-repeatable content will not create long term subscriptions and therefore it will not make up for the high production costs. Less story, more repeatable content + grinds are just so much more efficient.

I love the stories myself and I wish there would be more class stories. But I can see why they brought story content to a minimum.

Edited by Rithoma

Makeb is boring i think the republic story is much worse than the imp (pub story is just snooze ville) And i agree that it is way harder to lvl a character through it in fact some of my characters i have bypassed it and gone straight to SOR.

Sor well at least we have a class sotry true its small like makeb but at least it means that running it through with another class means there is some verity.

I get what you're saying, but why level all those others?

Just do what lots of other people do, have 1 main on either faction that you can do all the new stuff as it comes, and just leave the others at 50.

A friend of mine is not even getting them to 50, he finishes chapter 3 at 47ish then deletes them and makes another as he doesnt have the spare slots to keep them. :p

It has nothing to do with them not caring about the players. It is only for economical reasons. Story content is non-repeatable content. Just think about how people rushed through the Ziost missions and then complained that it was only an hour of game time. BW have to pay writers and voice actors as well as the devs who make the cutscenes for months to produce one hour of game time. Non-repeatable content will not create long term subscriptions and therefore it will not make up for the high production costs. Less story, more repeatable content + grinds are just so much more efficient.

I love the stories myself and I wish there would be more class stories. But I can see why they brought story content to a minimum.

But thats the whole point. If you have story content it should be at least diversive enough for each class so it WILL become repeatable. Not just one line of dialogue. Of course when its done than its done but mixing it up and making it different a bit for each class will bring that diversity and the content will be repeatable.

But thats the whole point. If you have story content it should be at least diversive enough for each class so it WILL become repeatable. Not just one line of dialogue. Of course when its done than its done but mixing it up and making it different a bit for each class will bring that diversity and the content will be repeatable.

That was the launch model with extensive class stories, and it didn't work for BW at all. Too many people just left.

I agree with you OP, and the fact that you HAVE to run through Rishi and Yavin to advance the ongoing story this year makes it worse.

Recently, I leveled to 60 with dailies and PvP on a character, only to learn I couldn't run the Yavin daily zone, and Ziost wasn't accessible either.

So, for a game that encourages so many alts, with 12x XP even now, it is a bad model to make it a requirement to play the expansion story on every single character in order to enjoy the updates in 2015.

That is on top of what you pointed out, that there isn't much variety to running your classes through. That is a budget concern, I think, for the most part. BW doesn't get enough funding from EA to do much else.

So: my request to the developers would be to lift the requirement to run SoR to enjoy the new story updates/FPs/whatever comes along the rest of the year. I am currently sitting at 14 characters, 11 are at 60, and 10 have run through SoR. I can't do that all over again on the rest, but would like to have the remaining characters still able to do any new content that is released (they are generally between lvl 57-60, and are just used for crafting or crew skills. Maybe a few months from now I can level them through SoR, but even then it will be mind-numbingly tedious to do so).

BW allowed you to skip Makeb to get to 55, with the only dailies missing being on Makeb. It didn't lock you out from Oricon. That is not the case in SoR, and it should be changed.

Edited by arunav

This is the truth that many simply cannot see.

People seem to think that every hour of storyline content takes about an hour to produce.

And they also seem to think that people work for free :D

You're forgetting that making that one hour of story diverse for 8 classes will effectively turn it into 8 hours of story which means they'll have to work 8 times as much and pay people 8 times as much.

For something that plenty of their customers will only play through once. (not to mention all of those who simply spacebar through everything)

Ziost is the conclusion of SoR, so it makes no sense to make it available without doing SOR.

Except there are operations located on the planet that you can't access otherwise. That is utterly retarded. Once you have unlocked the area on your main you need to be able to get your raid alts to the door of the damn monolith without having to pay to be summoned.

Imagine if the Ziost Shadow was only accessible if you have completed your class story, or if you couldn't get to Ravagers or ToS without doing those story missions.

This is a huge oversight and they need to fix it soon.

I tend to agree, I'll have an imp and rep main to run the post story stuff, and the rest sit at makeb. I didn't even feel a need for my bh to go past makeb really, given what marr says, i think he'd rather just keep doing regular bounties and let the empire deal with all that. I imagine its the same for the smuggler, the end stories are so much more faction specific.

Actually if the story content is good like it is for 1-50, people will repeat it. I've done it 22 + times on one server alone, and I'd keep doing it, if I could get more character slots. Ziost was a let down, and the area and dailies are boring and not exactly enticing to go back once the story is completed.

It's obvious *good* story is repeatable content, because of the number of people who want to play out the stories. It's why 12X is such a success. Most people seem to enjoy the stories, but not the dull side quests. Especially people like me who've done all the side quests a kagillion times.

I'm sure if they made quality class stories, people would play. Shadow of Revan wasn't too bad, but they did drop the ball in a few areas, mainly with Scourge, because he should have had more to say and do in that storyline. It's just jaw dropping how they thought they could squeeze through that chapter and never have him say one single thing.

Grinds are more cost efficient, I get that, but I think for playability and enjoyment factor it's vital they continue to create class stories and companion stories, as they did 1-50. I would practically throw money at them to sell me this type of content. :)

Edited by Lunafox

Except there are operations located on the planet that you can't access otherwise. That is utterly retarded. Once you have unlocked the area on your main you need to be able to get your raid alts to the door of the damn monolith without having to pay to be summoned.
First you say you can't access and then in very next sentence you admit you do have access with summons.

Takes less than a hour to do Ziost after the first time and you get to jump around on silly speeder. Do Ziost and get weekly or don't and use summons. Of course third opinion is moan about it. :p

Actually if the story content is good like it is for 1-50, people will repeat it. I've done it 22 + times on one server alone, and I'd keep doing it, if I could get more character slots. Ziost was a let down, and the area and dailies are boring and not exactly enticing to go back once the story is completed.

It's obvious *good* story is repeatable content, because of the number of people who want to play out the stories. It's why 12X is such a success. Most people seem to enjoy the stories, but not the dull side quests. Especially people like me who've done all the side quests a kagillion times.

I'm sure if they made quality class stories, people would play. Shadow of Revan wasn't too bad, but they did drop the ball in a few areas, mainly with Scourge, because he should have had more to say and do in that storyline. It's just jaw dropping how they thought they could squeeze through that chapter and never have him say one single thing.

Grinds are more cost efficient, I get that, but I think for playability and enjoyment factor it's vital they continue to create class stories and companion stories, as they did 1-50. I would practically throw money at them to sell me this type of content. :)

x2...

I too think the story went downhill after the 1-50 story arch...

TRHT was a so-so story... and not very interesting really...

SoR, was a little better and more intriguing... But the quality of the writing could have been a little better.

I do miss the Clas Story + Planet Story...

I gladly throw them money if they give us another 10 levels of story... but with quality writing...

Best Regards,

LPC

The 1-50 content or the vanilla game rather was developed over a period of 5 years with a staff of over 200 people with a budget of somewhere between 150 to 300 million dollars. You're never going to get content like that again. Ever.

This game was not the WoW like success they planned on it being. This game was designed with the expectation that they would always have somewhere between 3 million to 5 million players at the very least. When that didn't happen, any type of "super significant" update to the game basically went out the window. Class Quests, diversity, etc, gone. New Classes, never going to happen, and so on.

What people can't figure out for the life of them is that the financial requirement for the type of content they want to see or expect out of this game has no chance on turning a profit. Not even remotely. The type(s) of content that people are requesting from this game would easily require another 100 million to be dumped into the game, but that amount of money/content is only going to satisfy the existing player base, it's not going to magically pull in 2 million new subs.

This game isn't financially viable enough to do that. Something like WoW is, infact WoW is the only MMO currently that can afford to put out that type of content at that sort of cost because their game pulls in like a billion dollars each year.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

The 1-50 content or the vanilla game rather was developed over a period of 5 years with a staff of over 200 people with a budget of somewhere between 150 to 300 million dollars. You're never going to get content like that again. Ever.

This game was not the WoW like success they planned on it being. This game was designed with the expectation that they would always have somewhere between 3 million to 5 million players at the very least. When that didn't happen, any type of "super significant" update to the game basically went out the window. Class Quests, diversity, etc, gone. New Classes, never going to happen, and so on.

What people can't figure out for the life of them is that the financial requirement for the type of content they want to see or expect out of this game has no chance on turning a profit. Not even remotely. The type(s) of content that people are requesting from this game would easily require another 100 million to be dumped into the game, but that amount of money/content is only going to satisfy the existing player base, it's not going to magically pull in 2 million new subs.

This game isn't financially viable enough to do that. Something like WoW is, infact WoW is the only MMO currently that can afford to put out that type of content at that sort of cost because their game pulls in like a billion dollars each year.

gosh darn expurt done learned us good.

But, yeah, I'm not so sure that making the observation that release product is much better than the expansions equates an inability to grasp the financial limitations to putting out the same quality with expansions. Could they do better? I'd like to hope so, but I'm just one of them there simpletons.

That is very true...

But them again... there are 500.000 users playing the game (estimated guess).

If half is subs or better yet... if 250.000 did purchase The rise of the hutt cartel...

Well 20 bucks x 250.000 = $5.000.000 so 5 Millions just for a expansion...

there are games that are made under 5 million dollars! And im talking about AAA games!

So keep this in prespective... 5 Millions are more than enought for a good quality expansion pack...

Keep them comming and ppl will keep purchasing... just don´t let the quality go down...

Best Regards,

LPC

gosh darn expurt done learned us good.

But, yeah, I'm not so sure that making the observation that release product is much better than the expansions equates an inability to grasp the financial limitations to putting out the same quality with expansions. Could they do better? I'd like to hope so, but I'm just one of them there simpletons.

The problem is not just money but time. You want new class stories? Are you willing to accept a two year or more drought of content to get it? Because that is what it would take. Do you really think SWTOR would survive long enough for that new individual story content to be released? I don't.

That is very true...

But them again... there are 500.000 users playing the game (estimated guess).

If half is subs or better yet... if 250.000 did purchase The rise of the hutt cartel...

Well 20 bucks x 250.000 = $5.000.000 so 5 Millions just for a expansion...

there are games that are made under 5 million dollars! And im talking about AAA games!

So keep this in prespective... 5 Millions are more than enought for a good quality expansion pack...

Keep them comming and ppl will keep purchasing... just don´t let the quality go down...

Best Regards,

LPC

$5 million gets us SOR. Multiply that by 10 and you would get five levels of individual class stories and planet quests, and side quests like 1-50

Edited by psandak

The problem is not just money but time. You want new class stories? Are you willing to accept a two year or more drought of content to get it? Because that is what it would take. Do you really think SWTOR would survive long enough for that new individual story content to be released? I don't.

How about both?

Keeping this small incremental updates and then a major version uptade later on...

I don´t care if one costs 20$/€ or the big one 50$/€... Good quality content with real value will allways sell...

Thats why WOW still use the sub scheme and ppl pay... good support will allways get the ppl to cash in.

Bad service, lack of contents will be the start of the end...

I see potential for greatness on this game if Bioware do whats need to be done here...

This is one of the best IP´s ever... and this have the potential to rise above mediocricy if they star working out their flaws...

Things like starship missions starfighters, etc... was a waste of money and time...

Sure... we like to have everything... but then again... mmo RPG are more about the characters, storyes, adventure and epicness....

Being special on the world and make a difference is what will engage the ppl (im excluding here pvp).

I for one do miss the right/wrong choices with meangfull significance in the game...

I do miss the companions back storys and how they interacted with us...

Miss the story pontential romances... With main char and the companions...

Lets hope that in the future Bioware see what the ppl want and try to get their stuff together...

Best Regards,

LPC

Edited by LordPaulusCobris

Eh, gamers are a fickle bunch. I was here at launch and yeah the game was missing some keys items and had bugs out the ying yang, but of course the gamers, who are usually the ones who don't know WHAT they want, complained and left for the new shiny.

I see it like this. If you love this game and I mean love it with ALL your heart and soul and rp in your head and go woohoo star wars, you'll stick with this game when it's awesome and when it sucks.

If you're like the large majority of fickle gamers, something won't go right and you'll skip off to the next new thing.

It's like people with a perfectly good working cell phone, but the second the latest and greatest comes out, even if they don't necessarily need all the new fancy bells and whistles or that cool metalic finish, people will drop kick their perfectly good working phone for the iPhone 10 with spinning head and holographic breezes...even if their iphone 6 works perfectly fine.

I love how everybody cries for a level cap increase, blitzes the content, then cries that there is nothing to do. What did you expect would happen? New class missions for every class? What history can you point to which would indicate that?

Have fun repeating the same content to get your characters to 60, suckers.

The problem is not just money but time. You want new class stories? Are you willing to accept a two year or more drought of content to get it? Because that is what it would take. Do you really think SWTOR would survive long enough for that new individual story content to be released? I don't

There is a lot of little things the could do. Maybe its correct they did the best they could, but I think they could have done a few dialogues extra for the different classes. Hopefully, when they said they were going to get back to the story, they mean just that.

Eh, gamers are a fickle bunch. I was here at launch and yeah the game was missing some keys items and had bugs out the ying yang, but of course the gamers, who are usually the ones who don't know WHAT they want, complained and left for the new shiny.

I see it like this. If you love this game and I mean love it with ALL your heart and soul and rp in your head and go woohoo star wars, you'll stick with this game when it's awesome and when it sucks.

If you're like the large majority of fickle gamers, something won't go right and you'll skip off to the next new thing.

It's like people with a perfectly good working cell phone, but the second the latest and greatest comes out, even if they don't necessarily need all the new fancy bells and whistles or that cool metalic finish, people will drop kick their perfectly good working phone for the iPhone 10 with spinning head and holographic breezes...even if their iphone 6 works perfectly fine.

Funny I've never considered myself a "gamer," because I only enjoy maybe, what, three games total (this, Magic: The Gathering, and maybe Mario Kart Wii), and I'm not competitive as a rule?

I DO RP IN MY HEAD and I do love Star Wars, so I'm sticking around for the duration. Like, until they make a new and better Star Wars MMO-type duration.

Also, I still have a flip-phone, I don't need all the extra stuff including the inflated monthly bill just so my phone can do what my computer can do anyway. When it eventually breaks, I'll see about getting a smart phone, but I'm certainly not in any hurry.

I don't want to demonize an entire "community," but the hyper-competitive try-hard "gamers" who play every game like it's their life just aren't needed here. They are (mostly) a blight on every MMO "community" I've run into. It's why I don't even go anywhere near games like MOBAs. If all those people left for other games, I'd count it as a blessing. Luckily I haven't run into nearly as many a-holes here (even with the "toxic" community "scandal") as I did any given day in WoW. I'd be perfectly happy if this game was "casual/fan based"-only.