Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started calling this the "Why the heck didn't my med probe go off?" problem during beta.

Despite the fact that this affects all levels of gameplay, this can most potentially make or break healing in the future. I sincerely hope we see a post from BioWare regarding this in the near future.

This is a matter of responsiveness above anything else. Even EverQuest, despite its age, was always completely responsive per the cast time of a spell.

Ya, healing is where this problem became the most frustrating for me. At first, I thought I was just failing or that it could have been an FPS/latency issue, but after checking to make sure all that was good and seeing this thread I quickly realized how much the animation delay was effecting my game play.

It's bs. Just couldent finish a flash end boss due to not being able to interupt his healer. I won't keep paying for this if it isn't fixed soon, nor will i spend my money on another e.a./bioware produst. But i WILL go buy the WoW xpansion.

Woah now you mean you won't buy Mass Effect 3 either?

Dont understand whats going on in this thread honestly. My and my brother find the combat in this game to be amazing. Dont really see what the issue is, I have a 43 Assassin and having a blast.

Have you ever played WoW for long enough? I am serious, you have to compare with that since it's the best MMO concerning responsiveness so far. It's an industry standard, other companies (e.g. GW2 ad) talk about their game's responsiveness level by comparing to WoW.

If you haven't played WoW, then it's expected to think responsiveness is fine. It's like so many other cases, where one thinks something is fine, but only because he hasn't yet experienced anything better to compare with. If you have played WoW for long enough and you still think that swtor is as responsive, then wow, I can say only that.

Edited by Lord_Indomitus

Yes, don't get used to this... there is no excuse to have this in the game, it serves no realism, it is not a feature... demand better. How else will we evolve the standard of MMOs? Adapting is one thing but you should not adapt to failure...

Indeed! I didn't want to appear whiny but yeh it does make the game feel sluggish and out of sync.

They will need to fix this, also there are times where I am sure an ability does not go off its like a double GCD or something.

This has been one very few things that I don't like about the game, all the minor bugs and glitches I have faith they will be fixed as Bioware seems to be rolling micro-patches out for gamebreaking things and already have one patch releasing. The sluggish feel of combat is just strange. One of the posters above mentioned rail shot for the bounty hunter which is one of the abilities I agree just feels clunky due to a bad link between activation and execution.

Xcore you literally are a god this post needed to be made and i completely appreciate it thank you.

Thanks, we are all still anxiously awaiting Bioware's response and communication in regards to this issue.

I should point out that 99.9% of the praise should be spread through so many posters from Page 1-150, I mean if you actually read through, the discussions evolved our understanding of the problem and even potential solution so much... there are some very intelligent people who have helped define this elusive characteristic/feeling, I am merely the .1% who created the thread :)

Ty for the kind words and support though! Boosts my ego :p !

I'm very impressed with how generally civil this thread has remained. Well done folks. Hopefully bioware can address this issue.

The forum enforcers have been cracking down all night, I insulted one person several times for being as dense as a brick and all of my relevant posts were deleted, I was given several warnings. Do not mistake hard-handed forum policing for civility. I see way worse things in game chat, but saying "You are an idiot" got me a warning, or two.

Agree with OP.

What's the point of a gcd if i can't use the next ability till the previous animation is done? I was wondering why i had to keep slamming interrupt button 3-4 times b4 it would actually go off. How r u suppose to interrupt a 2 sec cast that way? Same thing with ANY reactional ability. Ridiculous.

I think you people are too used to your WoW and other like games. You need to get used to watching the ANIMATIONS and not the cooldowns! This game is anything but sluggish if you are actually watching your CHARACTER and not your abilities.

Memorize your key bindings for your abilities and watch the GAME and not your ability BAR.

1) Then the game won't "feel" sluggish because you are watching the wrong thing.

2) Makes the game FAR better by actually watching what you are playing instead of a bar.

Edited by iResist

This post deserves an upvote.

I don't really have much new to add to the discussion, it's all there in the OP, but I wanted to show my support.

Animations are pretty and all, but when they interfere with gameplay, it goes from being pretty to being an annoyance.

If it's built into the engine, then what needs to be done is to simply look at all the animations for all the skills, and make them all equal or less than their casting time, or the GCD, which ever is longer. As long as the animation finishes playing before the next skill is usable, this problem should simply go away. That should fix the issue quite simply without delving into engine mechanics.

Edited by UnDefiler

This post deserves an upvote.

I don't really have much new to add to the discussion, it's all there in the OP, but I wanted to show my support.

Animations are pretty and all, but when they interfere with gameplay, it goes from being pretty to being an annoyance.

If it's built into the engine, then what needs to be done is to simply look at all the animations for all the skills, and make them all equal or less than their casting time, or the GCD, which ever is shorter. That should fix the issue quite simply without delving into engine mechanics.

Bingo. But, if they do run long because of small mathematical inconsistencies, they need to be clipped.

I have to agree with OP on this. While SWTOR is not one of the worst sinners in this field by far (ground missions in ST:O anyone), your character still feels somewhat "disconnected"

Oh wow, I thought I would never be forced to remember... I recall when the game came out and I first got on a ground mission... I didn't know whether to laugh hysterically or weep like a little child.

Good post but a few things are just absurd.

I am in no way shy to say that, the reason Warhammer Online, EQs, Rift, SWG etc. etc. could never "ever" get to anything near WoW subscriptions is the Character Responsiveness.

This is just a lie. Its not even an opinion it so incorrect.

Second this is... the ability delay is not the only part of character responsiveness. The movement of my characters is superb. When im jumping around trying to get the datacrons it feels great.There is no sluggishness or delay.

Third is... I do not get 0.5 seconds of delay on my abilities. I feel bad for anyone who does. Maybe .1 or .2.

Fourth is... it will not kill the game. sounds like some fox news sensationalizing. The delay of my abilities isnt much concern for me and is sometimes 100% eliminated when using the queue. I set my queue to 1 second and always push while its activating. That said I can see how it is a huge problem for other classes and in pvp. It definitely needs to be fixed and sure be a priority.

Edited by Oldhead

I think you people are too used to your WoW and other like games. You need to get used to watching the ANIMATIONS and not the cooldowns! This game is anything but sluggish if you are actually watching your CHARACTER and not your abilities.

Memorize your key bindings for your abilities and watch the GAME and not your ability BAR.

1) Then the game won't "feel" sluggish because you are watching the wrong thing.

2) Makes the game FAR better by actually watching what you are playing instead of a bar.

yeah but it is the Ability that does the damage it is disconnected from the animations, also heatlh coming off the mob before the animation has even got close to hitting the target.

It feels totally out of sync, maybe you are ok with it but by the looks of this thread others are not. I can't even remember a post complaining about this in WoW..

yeah but it is the Ability that does the damage it is disconnected from the animations, also heatlh coming off the mob before the animation has even got close to hitting the target.

It feels totally out of sync, maybe you are ok with it but by the looks of this thread others are not. I can't even remember a post complaining about this in WoW..

True enough about that. But the responsiveness of the character is not a problem. People are just too used to watching the ability bar instead of watching what they should be watching (the game).

I think you people are too used to your WoW and other like games. You need to get used to watching the ANIMATIONS and not the cooldowns!

You need to re-read your post, or rethink your theory. From an interaction standpoint, watching animations is pointless if they don't do one of two things:

1. Precisely sync up with the cooldown of an ability, or

2. Yield to the animation of a succeeding ability via clipping (WoW) or merging (EverQuest).

Edited by HansBrolo

True enough about that. But the responsiveness of the character is not a problem. People are just too used to watching the ability bar instead of watching what they should be watching (the game).

I keybind everything, the mechanics are broken.