The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

I honestly hope not, I love the lore and environment of this game, it blows that other mmo that I wont' name out of the water in that regard.

You're just letting the hipsters win by doing that.

You mean World Of Warcraft. Don't let the hipsters scare you out of free speech.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Troll??? Idiot???? one or the other.

Your calling me a troll? The problem was completely solved for me 100% by changing the queue and Thatguy said to me that it was not. What response was expected?

You, my friend, are the troll or the idiot. My problem was solved, I was simply defending my position.

If you still have the issue, I hope whatever the cause is for you is solved. In my case, the queue was entirely the issue.

Lore and environment are nice I won't argue.

But personally I'm only really interested in high-end Ops and PvP. Battling through this obtrusive combat system is not worth the hassle for me, so :-/

To each their own.

No, I wholeheartedly agree, as things stand, it's not worth the hassle for me either.

You're right on the intelligence of gamers, I spoke too soon and out of passion but I would regard the intelligence level of this discussion above average and perhaps the MMO gamer or Hardcore Gamer is what I meant.

Yeah, I've been remarkably surprised on the thread thus far. It's really one I can honestly say is a good read for a Swtor dev to go through, it really is. We can only hope one trips into it and stumbles his way through the whole thing.

Are there any people watching this thread that having programming experience and could shed some light on what might be going on here? I'm really perplexed by this.

I would have thought a sensible way to assign damage and animations would be once a skill has been pressed there's a delay timer set off for the damage, and then the animation is played. So, even if that animation is changed to the next skill, the delay on the damage would never be affected, it would always hit a certain time after a skill is used.

Whereas what seems to be happening is the damage isn't assigned to the end of the animation, and if you're using a ranged weapon, it's not until that particle hits the enemy.

Is it possible they've just got the delay wrong between skills or would they have actually linked to the animation length?

I could care less what the thread says. My issue was fixed by the queue, and thatguy was trying to say it wasn't. Do you have something useful to say?

Your issue is/was not the issue being described by this thread. Take your ignorant posts elsewhere if all you're gonna do is spout out "it worked for me though!!" in a 130page thread where the real root of the problem has already been found and discussed. Seriously.

At this point, I too would recommend reading through 20-50 pages first. I know its a pain but the discussion and understanding of this issue has been analysed quite well and evolved over the course of 120+ pages.

When you have hundreds, perhaps thousands of players Brainstorming (once again, gamers are generally quite intelligent) you can't help but bear fruit at the end of a serious discussion.

Ignoring the past 120+ and next pages would be very foolish of Bioware, a response to open the lines of communication would be their best course of action.

Pointless to me. The issue was fixed for me with the queue, end of story for me, I was just reporting my success. I respect your civil response though.

I could care less what the thread says. My issue was fixed by the queue, and thatguy was trying to say it wasn't. Do you have something useful to say?

Yes, and have been for awhile now. You coming in to derail the thread on purpose isn't helpful to anyone but your own ego.

If your problem has suddenly resolved itself why don't you enlighten the rest of us by explaining how and list some examples.

Your move.

At this point, I too would recommend reading through 20-50 pages first. I know its a pain but the discussion and understanding of this issue has been analysed quite well and evolved over the course of 120+ pages.

When you have hundreds, perhaps thousands of players Brainstorming (once again, gamers are generally quite intelligent) you can't help but bear fruit at the end of a serious discussion.

Ignoring the past 120+ and next pages would be very foolish of Bioware, a response to open the lines of communication would be their best course of action.

Truth is spoken here and really for anyone else that stumbles across this thread and reads the very first post and then starts vomiting out a post.

They have really uncovered the problem about WHY the combat feels the way it does in SWTOR in this thread!

Somehow it needs to be resummarized and consolidated down into a new post with the salient points and videos that have been brought up in this thread!

Are there any people watching this thread that having programming experience and could shed some light on what might be going on here? I'm really perplexed by this.

I would have thought a sensible way to assign damage and animations would be once a skill has been pressed there's a delay timer set off for the damage, and then the animation is played. So, even if that animation is changed to the next skill, the delay on the damage would never be affected, it would always hit a certain time after a skill is used.

Whereas what seems to be happening is the damage isn't assigned to the end of the animation, and if you're using a ranged weapon, it's not until that particle hits the enemy.

Is it possible they've just got the delay wrong between skills or would they have actually linked to the animation length?

There was some programming analysis I believe somewhere page 10-50? may be a bit higher but below 70-80... though no professionals I don't believe chimed in.

Your issue is/was not the issue being described by this thread. Take your ignorant posts elsewhere if all you're gonna do is spout out "it worked for me though!!" in a 130page thread where the real root of the problem has already been found and discussed. Seriously.

Again, this is irrelevant to me, who was reporting on my success with the exact issue described by the OP. I don't care what evolved in the thread, I was responding to the OP.

Again, this is irrelevant to me, who was reporting on my success with the exact issue described by the OP. I don't care what evolved in the thread, I was responding to the OP.

You know, if this thread was so irrelevant to you (something you've joyfully touted about 6 times now) one would think you would've left by now. So what's keeping you here?

Yes, and have been for awhile now. You coming in to derail the thread on purpose isn't helpful to anyone but your own ego.

If your problem has suddenly resolved itself why don't you enlighten the rest of us by explaining how and list some examples.

Your move.

My character was unresponsive as hell particularly in flashpoints as a tank, I changed the queue to 0.0, my character responds perfectly (except when my framerate is taxed or my connection is lagging). The problem described by the OP has been eliminated for me.

I'm not derailing the thread, I was reporting my success with regards to the OP. That is all I came here to do irregardless of what the rest of the people in the thread are discussing.

I know the point of the video, I saw what you did. And this confirms what I figured lots of folks in this thread want; they want to be able to "load" moves onto one another; some apparently want to flat-out rapid-fire button-mash stuff. They want to click a button, and have instant gratification of damage. Then they want to click-click-click a whole bunch more.

TOR has consciously not taken that approach.

Thing is, when it works, ToR sure does take it into approach.

I can chain Ambush and Snipe with Explosive Probe to get THAT EXACT BURST on my Sniper. It has to do with the animations on THAT AC and moveset actually working fine.

I can chain a few BH moves as well. Not so much with my Shadow, Sentinel, and Sorcerer.

Your calling me a troll? The problem was completely solved for me 100% by changing the queue and Thatguy said to me that it was not. What response was expected?

You, my friend, are the troll or the idiot. My problem was solved, I was simply defending my position.

If you still have the issue, I hope whatever the cause is for you is solved. In my case, the queue was entirely the issue.

Please read the first 50 pages of this thread. I called you a troll because the argument that you bring up has be disproved about 30 times already in this thread and it has been shown that this setting has nothing to do with the delay we are referring to. If you have read the first 50 pages, maybe you wouldn't have posted such a retarded response and I could have avoided calling you a troll. :)

There was some programming analysis I believe somewhere page 10-50? may be a bit higher but below 70-80... though no professionals I don't believe chimed in.

Another option mentioned (though messy) would be to extend the cast bars to allow the entire animation to run its course. Now this has several implications such as damage over the cast time, and would actually lead to changes to the channeled abilities (because of the now longer cast time), but this of course only fixes the casting problems, not the back-to-back ability usage.

I honestly think if all the animations were cut short for the sake of game play, the game would still alright.

I was really enjoying playing this game when i come from work but honestly for two days(since the issue become obvious and starts to annoy me too much) I started to play another games and just checking SWTOR forums to find about if there is any official respond.Since, there is none I am goin back to CoD hehe:D