Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

And yes, for the most part the GCD in WoW is a second and a half.

Except for Rogues. And Feral Druids. And I think some casters with obscene amounts of haste.

Its similar in Rift too. 1.5 secs for 3, and 1 sec for rogues. I can immediately tell the difference going from warrior to rogue there. But, there's still a connection to pressing flame spear, and seeing a spear of flame shoot at the bad guy.

Okay, I have a feral almost-main, so I know what you mean. I was just double checking for my own sake :)

Thanks!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why TOR is so successful? No. It doesn't. What explains why it's so successful is because it's Star Wars. Also, people are putting up with it waiting for a fix. Just like people waited for a fix on LOTRO. But that still died. Like this will eventually if it takes the same approach.

LOTRO 'died' because people didn't wait for a fix, people generally don't. People get bored and quit when the game isn't enjoyable.

Yes, keep telling yourself that i'm a troll and that I think the game is perfect. Your baseless accusations are pure fiction. I have made several arguments throughout beta and since release against many of the design choices Bioware made. I choose one to support and all of a sudden i'm a fanboy/troll/Biodrone. No, the truth is that while people act like they appreciate objectivity and people act like they want to solve the problem, really all they want to do is to complain and conform. You have achieved both, congrats. Now go back to WoW.

What sense is there defending a design flaw with the game? If an extremely wide-range of players are dis-satisfied with it and obviously a large amount of people (which I have found both on the forums and in-game and this thread has gotten 5 stars and 20k views in less than 24 hours) are aware of this issue than it needs to be fixed.

Why does he have to go back to WoW to get fluid and responsive gameplay?

Why can't he get fluid and responsive gameplay in SWTOR?

It was actually a joke and the combat is fluid in responsive if you understand it. I blame BioWare for implementing a system so close to WoW's and then changing it subtley and not telling anyone. The combat system works and is smooth once you figure out how it works.

You can wipe cos of this issue at least from tanks and healers point of view...

Yeah, I'm a tank/meleer at heart, and after getting some quality time with my Powertech, I just dropped her and went Sniper. Ranged just seems to play better for some reason.

Of course, now I decided to go Repub and focus on my Shadow. With the possibility of tanking. Because I'm a masochist.

Any one mind telling me/showing me if they are going to fix the NPCs that look like they are talking but aren't it' not gamebreaking but when you notice it in upcoming mmos coming out next year it can get bothersome knowing this one doesn't have that :(

It was actually a joke and the combat is fluid in responsive if you understand it. I blame BioWare for implementing a system so close to WoW's and then changing it subtley and not telling anyone. The combat system works and is smooth once you figure out how it works.

Oh great guru, tell us how it works then.

Its clunky and unresponsive and disconnected from any real sense of input to output. I've self cancelled I don't know how many attacks because I thought they were finished and really weren't. I've clipped channeled abilities because the queueing system doesn't work properly.

Its just not as fluid or responsive as it could be.

Any one mind telling me/showing me if they are going to fix the NPCs that look like they are talking but aren't it' not gamebreaking but when you notice it in upcoming mmos coming out next year it can get bothersome knowing this one doesn't have that :(

A bit off topic here, apologies but I really would like everyone to stay on topic of this Ability Delay and Responsiveness...

Valid concern btw just saying that I think its best if we continue to gather voices in this thread for a specific issue.

I do hope that we get an official Bioware statement, explanation or simply open communication so that we may resolve this.

A bit off topic here, apologies but I really would like everyone to stay on topic of this Ability Delay and Responsiveness...

Valid concern btw just saying that I think its best if we continue to gather voices in this thread for a specific issue.

I do hope that we get an official Bioware statement, explanation or simply open communication so that we may resolve this.

Ahh your right, just it came to my mind and felt like posting it sorry about that.

LOTRO?

Yeah, it's really successful, actually, I'm happy for it.Their numbers and profits went up when they did the F2P/microtransaction model.

I played it back when it was a subbed game, and even then, the amount of developer interaction, polish, unique class mechanics (mmm, Warden), and attention to detail in every aspect of the game, from PvP, PvE, Skirmishes, Raiding, Personal Story...

It's a ridiculously polished and underrated MMO, and they're doing really well for themselves. New expansion just recently hit, too.

Well of course their numbers went up, it's F2P, it means all the kids can play it. And their profits went up because those hxc players, the few, pay a lot of money per month to be, well, hardcore. And it's easy to make money instead of good and fulfilling content when you have the janitors on level design, and everyone else is either long gone, hardly working, or just doing PR work.

And the "expansion" is crap, and any further ones will be too. The same goes for EQ2 and their "expansions" since they went F2P. I mean, just look that them. It's pathetic, even if it is 'free'.

Again, the chance of Bioware actually saying anything about this is low. Chance of them saying something and it being helpful, damn near impossible. They'd have to admit fault first, which absolutely won't happen. IF they come in it will be something along the lines of "well, you see, story, working as intended, story, I heard about a MMO once, story, re-roll"

I'd love to have them prove me wrong, then maybe I'd think the game would actually last longer than 6 months before it caves.

Edited by Arkimor

Well of course their numbers went up, it's F2P, it means all the kids can play it. And their profits went up because those hxc players, the few, pay a lot of money per month to be, well, hardcore. And it's easy to make money instead of good and fulfilling content when you have the janitors on level design, and everyone else is either long gone, hardly working, or just doing PR work.

And the "expansion" is crap, and any further ones will be too. The same goes for EQ2 and their "expansions" since they went F2P. I mean, just look that them. It's pathetic, even if it is 'free'.

Having also played City of Heroes and Champions Online, I understand your points.

I suppose we can both come to the agreement that we'd love Bioware to reply on this issue, so we know that they're taking ToR's future seriously.

What sense is there defending a design flaw with the game? If an extremely wide-range of players are dis-satisfied with it and obviously a large amount of people (which I have found both on the forums and in-game and this thread has gotten 5 stars and 20k views in less than 24 hours) are aware of this issue than it needs to be fixed.

I don't have a problem with it nor am I dissatisfied. It's a common mistake to assume that the squeaky wheel represents the majority. It does not. Even if all 20,000 of those views were people with complaints, that's a relatively small portion of the game population.

Again, the chance of Bioware actually saying anything about this is low. Chance of them saying something and it being helpful, damn near impossible. They'd have to admit fault first, which absolutely won't happen. IF they come in it will be something along the lines of "well, you see, story, working as intended, story, I heard about a MMO once, story, re-roll"

I'd love to have them prove me wrong, then maybe I'd think the game would actually last longer than 6 months before it caves.

Yeah, the fact that it went so long like that in beta is a mystery to me. I'm sure people complained about it in Beta. Not going to say more about that though.

I'll leave it at this: I doubt they'll change it unless they read threads like this and look at sub numbers and in-game complaints. Because, internally, everything has been Working As Intended, save for the bugs they've mentioned so far.

Build on Hero engine, plays like Hero engine. Sad truth. I hope it one day feels as responsive as WoW does. The delay in something as simple as jumping can be incredibly immersion breaking.

God, there's a Datacron on Hutta that requires pipe jumping and it just would not happen for me until I completely betrayed my innate gaming instincts/reaction times.

Oh great guru, tell us how it works then.

Its clunky and unresponsive and disconnected from any real sense of input to output. I've self cancelled I don't know how many attacks because I thought they were finished and really weren't. I've clipped channeled abilities because the queueing system doesn't work properly.

Its just not as fluid or responsive as it could be.

I've already explained it countless times. The only reason it feels disconnected is because you are focusing on the GCD. I had the same problem the first 9 minutes of playing the game, so I understand.

I think they will respond in time. This thread and issue itself is growing too fast both in and out of the game.

I'm not sure it will get fixed though, but I think a big part of it can. The animations and responses seem like it could be changed and it would make things a lot easier.

I recommend everyone in this thread to go on the preferences menu in game > controls > scroll down to combat skill delay and change it from 0.5 to 0.0.

It makes a huge difference and makes the issue everyone is talking about much less noticable. Overall the combat feels alot better. I just dont know why Bioware decided to leave that 0.5 sec delay as the default. Maybe they were trying to reduce the strain on the servers at launch.

either way, dont listen to anyone else, just go in-game change the option and try for yourself. Everyone who did it has noticed a considerable improvement.

The issue with animation reset is still there but it becomes alot less noticeble.