People who undersell by 1 credit.

VixenRawR

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never get why this is such a hot button issue for people.

I pretty much make all my money off the GTN. If your items are not listed first, i.e. cheapest, they will not sell. Period.

Exactly

I always undercut whats listed by a small amount

unless whats listed is just greed and then Ill list my own goods at a reasonable amount, regardless how much less it is then listed.

GTN is pretty simplistic

Buy Low

Sell High

Pocket the profit in between

I don't get the tantrums about this either.

Not like its costing you anything if it doesnt sell

so just relist at lower price afterwards

It's just buisness.

Hate these people that undercut by a big number and devalue an item by a lot.

You want to sell stuff? You want to make money? Then undercut by 1 credit.

So true, I always undercut somewhere between 1-1000 credits depending on my mood. It's always best to keep values high for the best profits. And if they have one guy way undercutting, I'll just buy his and flip for a higher profit.

meh, I put it on for what i roughly think its worth. Taking into account other items that are the same, how long theyve been on there ( i keep an item for a day or so to see how quick it moves on the gtn) and what id be willing to pay for it. Some of the prices are just crazy for stuff that a week previous was a tiny percentage of its current price).

But if someone undercuts me by 1 credit, 10 credits 100 credits, hell 10k credits it really doesnt bother me, except when 5 or 6 people do that (10k+ cheaper) and said item is now almost worthless and ends up taking up room in your vault for a week or so, just because someone cant be bothered to wait. But long story short, if it doesnt sell then it goes back on. Really dont see the drama, far more things to moan about that that.

Really? Honestly that is a huge *****bag move. Putting an item up for 10 mil for someone to 9,999,999 under me. 1 Credit so t hey can get their item sold first. I personally always buy the person who costs 10 mil and leave that 1 credit person waiting. That's not a deal, thats just cutting out the other persons chance at a sale. If you are going to put something up at least make it 5% cheaper than the original price, or the same price. It's stupid to get back on the GTN to find an item ex: 1,000 credits, then 999, 998, 997, 996...like really 1 credit?

What's everyone elses opinion on this? I think its a weak move, if you want to sell, make a better offer or list the same cause 1 credit out of a 10 mil item is nothing.

People underprice by 1 credit so they come up first in the price sort on the GTN. I expect many people buy the first item, which would be the cheapest, without looking at the others.

Having said that, I usually undercut by 25 to 100 credits depending on the price of the item. Undercutting is an art form in the sense that you do not want to start a price drop or price war but want to come in at the most attractive price since pricing is really the only differentiation of goods for sale. I would rather have someone undercut me by 1 credit than by thousands.

A lot depends on how quickly an item sells as well.

So true, I always undercut somewhere between 1-1000 credits depending on my mood. It's always best to keep values high for the best profits. And if they have one guy way undercutting, I'll just buy his and flip for a higher profit.

If an item is 20 mil, and someone sells for 18 mil and you bought it and sold....the market fees alone would kill any profit you dreamed about. If someone sells for 3 mil well duh anyone would buy it. Idk I just look at it like this.

GO to the store and you pick up their coupon ads, and everything in it just says "SAVE A PENNY" like OMG I need to get shopping PRONTO! :D

20lb bag of dog food $27.98 NOW $27.97.. What a deal!!

Really? Honestly that is a huge *****bag move. Putting an item up for 10 mil for someone to 9,999,999 under me. 1 Credit so t hey can get their item sold first. I personally always buy the person who costs 10 mil and leave that 1 credit person waiting. That's not a deal, thats just cutting out the other persons chance at a sale. If you are going to put something up at least make it 5% cheaper than the original price, or the same price. It's stupid to get back on the GTN to find an item ex: 1,000 credits, then 999, 998, 997, 996...like really 1 credit?

What's everyone elses opinion on this? I think its a weak move, if you want to sell, make a better offer or list the same cause 1 credit out of a 10 mil item is nothing.

Lets see:

1) Whines about someone selling for less than him

2) Buys the more expensive item

You should move to Vietnam, capitalism is not for you :p

This.

I see it a lot with augments. Sometimes you're selling them for about 120k, but then 2 people undercut for a lot and then they drop to like 70k in one hour. Everyoby loses, even the ones doing the undercutting for such big margin.

i love doing this. too much fun to see the traders rage when i've dropped prices by half

glad to know it is an option here as well.

i love doing this. too much fun to see the traders rage when i've dropped prices by half

glad to know it is an option here as well.

I do this all the time. I only craft and collect stuff to try to "ruin" the market. Of course the buyers don't think it is ruined.

I don't see it as a douche bag move anyone selling anything does so with the desire to SELL what they are selling. As such in order to sell an item you want to be the lowest price available as that is where buyers will look first. so whether someone undercuts the next lowest priced item by 1 credit or 1 million credits it makes no difference because that is what anyone selling something is going to do.

I can't really see a buyer caring much either way about a 1 credit difference though as one credit saved is neither here nor there. The only difference that would make to a buy decision if any I'd guess is the simple fact when sorting by lowest price it will appear first and therefore be seen first.

If you are that worried about being undercut OP then simply keep tabs on your sales if someone lists something cheaper take the listing price hit and end your sale early and RE-LIST it at a price below theirs.

I do this all the time. I only craft and collect stuff to try to "ruin" the market. Of course the buyers don't think it is ruined.

how long will it take me to get where i can have fun with this? i am dl'ing the game right now

GO to the store and you pick up their coupon ads, and everything in it just says "SAVE A PENNY" like OMG I need to get shopping PRONTO! :D

Not even close to the same thing. Once again, we advance the Inapt Internet Analogy counter by 1.

This.

I see it a lot with augments. Sometimes you're selling them for about 120k, but then 2 people undercut for a lot and then they drop to like 70k in one hour. Everyoby loses, even the ones doing the undercutting for such big margin.

No. You're wrong, the shoppers win!

If an item is 20 mil, and someone sells for 18 mil and you bought it and sold....the market fees alone would kill any profit you dreamed about. If someone sells for 3 mil well duh anyone would buy it. Idk I just look at it like this.

I wouldn't buy the 18 mil item, because that's still in range of the higher price. When I say way low, I'm talking about market disruptor pricing, such as your 3 mil example. I agree about the pennies, we have been thoroughly trained to get all excited about a penny. "OMG look it's only 89.99!"

Edited by Holocron

ill undercut by 1 credit if the person themselves undercut by almost nothing OR if the person who is the cheapest undercut by a stupidily high amount. At the same time if an item is worth like 100 credits per unit im not gonna undercut by more than a credit, a volatile price like that doesn't need the market ruined. (to be fair I can mainly only point to grade 1 mats for volatile / low market prices)

This word, you keep using it, I don't think it means what you think it means.

A volatile price is one that changes often, however much it is. A low price is one that is, well, low, whether or not it changes. Volatile prices can be high or low, or in-between.

Undercutting is actually a subtle form of pvp. I love when people do it to me. It's part of a free and healthy market.

A little story where I first witnessed undercutting and people getting mad was on a small server in WOW and there was a player who controlled the auction house. If people undercut him he would mail them and chew them out. I thought it was hilarious. Things like this make the game fun.

If he had mailed me like that, I'd have just deleted the mail and moved on. If he did it often, Report -> Harassment.

I'd like to quote Gordon Gekko for this :

"Greed is ... for the lack of a better word ... good."

No. "Greed ... for the lack of a better word ... is good." It's just one word, but moving it like that makes all the difference in the world. In your version, he isn't sure about "good". In Oliver Stone's version, he isn't really happy with "greed" as the word he's using.

All the difference in the world, and totally changes the meaning of the statement.

Economics 101. Sell just low enough people will buy from you instead of competitor and keep as much profit as possible. The 1 credit lower follows this code by offering a slightly cheaper item and loses a meager amount of profit. It is the perfect sale.

They have fixed the harassment problem in FFXIV. They give you retainers (whom you must name) and they sell the things for you. That way on the listing, the retainer shows up and not you. As I am typing this, i have logged in to see that i have sold nothing overnight. I'm willing to bet the things i was trying to sell (these items had no representation on the market) have been flooded with uncutters lol.

@OP: You need to realize that A) it's not personal, it's merely meant to ensure the maximum amount of profit possible while having the lowest price and B) it's a good thing because it keeps the economy healthy. People undercut by too much and prices plummet. Do it by 1 credit less than the lowest price and prices stay high.

I was correct.So what I do is pull my items and wait for them to disappear, then try to sell them again at my original price. I'm counting on what I like to call "the sweet spot". It's basically the time frame in which my item has to sell before some scrub sees it up there and tries to undercut me. I mean yeah, I could relist lower but then they could just do the same thing and unlike FFXIV these items don't stay up indefinitely.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.