The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So Bioware, about people bypassing the locked part on Ziost to fight the OP Boss etc.

MeNaCe-NZ

Hey folks,

As I mentioned earlier this morning, we very quickly isolated what the exploit entailed and began an investigation into players who have participated. As of now, we have identified those unique accounts which have gone into the blocked off area of Ziost, and killed one of the two bosses present. For each of these players, they will receive a minimum of the following action:

• Multiple day suspension
  • Removal of all gear earned through defeating those bosses
  • Removal of all achievements earned through defeating those bosses
  • Reduction in Elite and Ultimate Commendations

We will continue to monitor the blocked off area of Ziost throughout Monday, May the 4th, which is when it opens officially. Any player who is found to participate in this exploit beyond today’s notice will likely receive more aggressive action. Thank you all for bringing this to our attention.

-eric

great (based on previous inaction this is surprising to see and I applaud it) but one question EA?

What will the punishment be for those players who exploited the Ravengers exploit AND this one?

Above is finally the right step for someone knowingly exploiting the first time

but I submit that those who got a slap on hand doing the Ravengers exploit are NOT first (or even 5th ) time exploiters.

I'd be interested to hear how THOSE PLAYERS are being dealt with.

Edited by Kalfear

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity... why wasn't the instance door just disabled till a set time for release?

Also, one of the great things about this game is exploring and people getting to previously thought inaccessible places e.g. tops of the cliffs around yavin base, is it so surprising that people did whatever it was to access the "blocked off" area?

Yes people have "exploited" but if Bioware can't do simple things like the above or understand that there are segments of the community that just like to explore... They made datacrons, what part of the customer base does that cater to in reality... surprise!

Oh please. Its one thing to try to explore, its another to actively try to get into an area you KNOW you arent supposed to get. People knew what they were doing because they actually did it on the PTS and knew it was a cordoned off area, and before anyone whines "well its not our fault they knew it was broken, they should have fixed it!" Bioware did fix it but the exploiters did everything in their power to find another way in. This wasnt people just trying to explore, and thats a lame *** excuse to cover up what they were doing. But lets say, just for ***** and grins that someone was just playing around and trying to explore, guess what. Bioware has said, and its in the ToS everyone agreed to, that if you discover an exploit to STOP AND REPORT IT. Unless you seriously expect us to believe these people were exploring for datacrons, and just happened across the world boss and the ops entrance, and decided that Bioware must have decided to hide these so only certain people could find them.

Its a tired excuse because some people wanted to go in and get "World First" before everyone else had access to the content. Well guess what. The precious "World First" got you a 3 day ban, any ill gotten goods taken away, AND your achievement stripped all for a meaningless claim that no one is actually going to recognize as legitimate.

Stop with all the excuses that these people were just hunting for datacrons though. Its a stupid excuse, especially when everyone knows you are lying. Man up, accept the consequences for getting caught CHEATING, and move on. If it pisses you off that you cant cheat and get access to gear and content before anyone else, then just **** and dont let the door hit ya on the way out.

Oh please. Its one thing to try to explore, its another to actively try to get into an area you KNOW you arent supposed to get. People knew what they were doing because they actually did it on the PTS and knew it was a cordoned off area, and before anyone whines "well its not our fault they knew it was broken, they should have fixed it!" Bioware did fix it but the exploiters did everything in their power to find another way in. This wasnt people just trying to explore, and thats a lame *** excuse to cover up what they were doing. But lets say, just for ***** and grins that someone was just playing around and trying to explore, guess what. Bioware has said, and its in the ToS everyone agreed to, that if you discover an exploit to STOP AND REPORT IT. Unless you seriously expect us to believe these people were exploring for datacrons, and just happened across the world boss and the ops entrance, and decided that Bioware must have decided to hide these so only certain people could find them.

Its a tired excuse because some people wanted to go in and get "World First" before everyone else had access to the content. Well guess what. The precious "World First" got you a 3 day ban, any ill gotten goods taken away, AND your achievement stripped all for a meaningless claim that no one is actually going to recognize as legitimate.

Stop with all the excuses that these people were just hunting for datacrons though. Its a stupid excuse, especially when everyone knows you are lying. Man up, accept the consequences for getting caught CHEATING, and move on. If it pisses you off that you cant cheat and get access to gear and content before anyone else, then just **** and dont let the door hit ya on the way out.

Clearly missed the point of my statement

haha what a joke cant wait to do this tonight gotta love bioware and a slap on the wrist

Go ahead. Since anyone caught doing it AFTER they announced it was an exploit, punished people, and said dont do it I'm sure the game wont miss you when your account is actioned against, whether its for the same amount of time or longer since you knowingly did it AFTER you were told not to.

haha what a joke cant wait to do this tonight gotta love bioware and a slap on the wrist

Any player who is found to participate in this exploit beyond today’s notice will likely receive more aggressive action

-eric

Let us know how that works out.

This problem is Bioware's making. I'm not talking about bugs that make it possible like Ravagers. This is Bioware doing the little marketing they do to play up how wonderful Ziost would be when it shipped on August 28th, how you'd face the emperor, for weeks played it up and gave this launch date. Launch date comes and "well because it's part of our marketing most of it is locked away until May 4th". OF COURSE some players, having been sold a bill of goods by Bioware, tried to get to it when Bioware SAID it was going to be available. And now big daddy Bioware is going to come down hard on them. If you come down equally hard on those at Bioware who decided to split this, and split without telling anyone, fine.

No, I didn't partake. I was so annoyed that I did what was there and logged off, to stay logged off until May 4th (and maybe longer). But this was badly played by Bioware, this was abusive to their players by Bioware, this was Bioware lying to its players, and to punish players who did the natural thing seeing an option to get what Bioware told them they'd have, is outrageous.

great (based on previous inaction this is surprising to see and I applaud it) but one question EA?

What will the punishment be for those players who exploited the Ravengers exploit AND this one?

Above is finally the right step for someone knowingly exploiting the first time

but I submit that those who got a slap on hand doing the Ravengers exploit are NOT first (or even 5th ) time exploiters.

I'd be interested to hear how THOSE PLAYERS are being dealt with.

This interests me too. With the Ravengers exploit it was conisdered "the first time this has happened". If someone who exploited that has now also exploited Ziost then they are obviously persistent.

On neother Ravengers or Ziost can you have "accidentally exploited". So what about those people for whom Ziost is the second time they have exploited?

I'd hope that these would be harsher penalties - if they got a slap on the wrist for Ravengers and a second slap for Ziost, well you know they will just continue to exploit going forward.

This problem is Bioware's making. I'm not talking about bugs that make it possible like Ravagers. This is Bioware doing the little marketing they do to play up how wonderful Ziost would be when it shipped on August 28th, how you'd face the emperor, for weeks played it up and gave this launch date. Launch date comes and "well because it's part of our marketing most of it is locked away until May 4th". OF COURSE some players, having been sold a bill of goods by Bioware, tried to get to it when Bioware SAID it was going to be available. And now big daddy Bioware is going to come down hard on them. If you come down equally hard on those at Bioware who decided to split this, and split without telling anyone, fine.

No, I didn't partake. I was so annoyed that I did what was there and logged off, to stay logged off until May 4th (and maybe longer). But this was badly played by Bioware, this was abusive to their players by Bioware, this was Bioware lying to its players, and to punish players who did the natural thing seeing an option to get what Bioware told them they'd have, is outrageous.

1) TOR has a history of staggered content. This is hardly the first time that content was released in 'stages.'

2) Exploiting is not the 'natural' thing to do.

3) 'Most of it' is not locked away behind the May 4th wall. It's some cinematics, a new daily area and two WBs.

4) You have a strange definition of 'abusive.'

see be glad I don't work for them. If I'd read this then found out you did in fact use the exploit as you said you'd do I'd ban your account permanently.

1) TOR has a history of staggered content. This is hardly the first time that content was released in 'stages.'

I haven't been in the game from the start. Every expansion since I joined, everything in that part was fully released. Yes, there were sometimes extra bits added weeks to months later, and SoR clearly had a "more coming soon" aspect to it, but in all the time I've been in the game they never launched something live and artificially said "part of it unlocks later". And certainly not with the push that they gave to Ziost without letting anyone know it would only be half released.

3) 'Most of it' is not locked away behind the May 4th wall. It's some cinematics, a new daily area and two WBs.

Yeah, basically, the interesting part of 3.2. The part that gives any sense of finality to it. The part that EVERYONE outside of Bioware was expecting us to get on Tuesday.

4) You have a strange definition of 'abusive.'

Lying about when 3.2 would be released, Leading players on. Yeah, that's my definition of abusive.

Where exactly was the lie? They said the new stuff would come in 3.2. 5/4/15 is IN 3.2. Its not Biowares fault you interpreted what they were saying to mean it would be available on day 1, even after they implied at the Cantina it wouldnt be

I haven't been in the game from the start. Every expansion since I joined, everything in that part was fully released. Yes, there were sometimes extra bits added weeks to months later, and SoR clearly had a "more coming soon" aspect to it, but in all the time I've been in the game they never launched something live and artificially said "part of it unlocks later". And certainly not with the push that they gave to Ziost without letting anyone know it would only be half released.

Yeah, basically, the interesting part of 3.2. The part that gives any sense of finality to it. The part that EVERYONE outside of Bioware was expecting us to get on Tuesday.

Lying about when 3.2 would be released, Leading players on. Yeah, that's my definition of abusive.

you poor delicate flower you.

See here's what they should have done:

Everything like they did. Bans, removal of stuff, etc...BUT they should NOT have cleared the lockout on their screen!! hehe :cool:

So come Monday, yes the bans are removed, they can enter the new area, but they can NOT enter the 2 new ops. :D :D :D

The people in this thread who are still screaming for the Ravager exploiters heads' are endlessly amusing. It's like the inquisition. :D

Relevant....maybe.

Anyway, I think people are taking the whole thing too seriously. Bioware has said what they're going to do so let them do it.

Edited by Bluerodian

tehy didn't do anything wrong.

maybe if bioware did what they said they would and released the whole thing or you know fix what's broken this wouldn't happen.

They DID fix the exploit reported to them in the PTS this one is a new one that they didn't know about and yes they did do something wrong. If they know they are not supposed to go there and do it anyway via an exploit then they deserve what they get and they should be lucky the punishment they are getting is so light.

If you really want to discourage exploiting, you need stiffer penalties. Permabans get attention. The few people who get pissed and leave are more than offset by the silent majority that doesn't feel they get nothing by continuing to play by the rules. Exploiters in video games are like children and need to be spanked, hard.

The Developers / Community Staff have spoken!

Cheating is indeed cheating; just desserts all around! Woo-hoo!

Glad I don't do these things.

Yet there will always be players who say "Hey, it's no big deal," usually the ones who have done it. The "rules were made to be broken" mentality.

Yet there will always be players who say "Hey, it's no big deal," usually the ones who have done it. The "rules were made to be broken" mentality.

yeah and when they keep doing it and eventually get perma banned they will be the first ones to make a new account and sub just to ***** about getting banned for doing something THEY KNEW was against the rules and did it any way.

See here's what they should have done:

Everything like they did. Bans, removal of stuff, etc...BUT they should NOT have cleared the lockout on their screen!! hehe :cool:

So come Monday, yes the bans are removed, they can enter the new area, but they can NOT enter the 2 new ops. :D :D :D

Who is to say the lockout was removed? I would assume anyone 'caught' is still banned to be able to check.