So Bioware, about people bypassing the locked part on Ziost to fight the OP Boss etc.

MeNaCe-NZ

If I was actually concerned with how I was viewed by internet people, I'd be hurt by that sentiment.

We were all warned against exploiting after the Ravagers thing. I listened, they didn't, they got a hammer upside the head for their troubles.

I bet they'll listen next time.

Yet it IS hypocritical of you to be amused and gleeful and think bioware did the right thing by taking their gear away when you got to keep the gear from your more egregious exploiting, which Ravagers most definitely was (walking through a door and clicking a box to get BiS 198 Gear, a Set Bonus item, and a chance at 198 implants and other gear), unless you deleted all your ill gotten gains after you were warned since Bioware said removal of gear was supposed to happen- it just didnt for some reason.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are going to be flaws in any game. Yes they could have made it in exhaustion zone, or set it to require it to port you out if you made it in. Perhaps the reason they didnt do either of those things would have meant another patch on Monday which they didnt want to do. But just because the design they came up with didnt prevent players from accessing the area doesnt excuse the exploiters. It was quite obvious that it was an area that people werent allowed to get to. People werent hunting for datacrons. The people that went and did it were the same ones that did it on PTS and they knew exactly what they were doing. Bioware fixed the area they knew about, these people just decided to find another way. They are completely to blame.

Looks like that's (exhaustion zone/Teleport) what they needed to do... and how do you know what everyone who did this was doing? How many might have followed by curiosity as well??

Looks like that's (exhaustion zone/Teleport) what they needed to do... and how do you know what everyone who did this was doing? How many might have followed by curiosity as well??

I agree that it would have been the smart thing to do, but the reason why they didnt was probably to avoid having to do another patch. Probably would have been the best option.

And I'm sure that there were people who were curious that were trying to figure it out too. But considering who was posting on reddit this time and who was talking about it on PTS I think its a very safe assumption that the biggest offenders (the ones who turned around and started selling summons for millions) were ones who knew it existed on PTS and were trying to see if it would still work in live.

Yet it IS hypocritical of you to be amused and gleeful and think bioware did the right thing by taking their gear away when you got to keep the gear from your more egregious exploiting, which Ravagers most definitely was (walking through a door and clicking a box to get BiS 198 Gear, a Set Bonus item, and a chance at 198 implants and other gear), unless you deleted all your ill gotten gains after you were warned since Bioware said removal of gear was supposed to happen- it just didnt for some reason.

maybe I wasn't clear before. I don't 'care' about how people see it.

Without dragging it out into a stupidly long dissertation on intent and established patterns of behavior, it goes something like this:

BW didn't act like exploiting was a big thing until the Ravagers thing was a month old and some of us had been doing it for weeks. They ignored the Nefra exploiters and simply fixed the problem. Once they loudly and repeatedly said that future exploiting would be harshly punished, that changed the equation. The smart people stopped exploiting the Ravagers thing and believed them when they said that they now sincerely cared about exploiting.

They said it, I believed it. Do I feel 'bad' about doing it? lol no. The gear I got has made my gaming that much easier and more fun. I'm not stressed about not getting gear. I'm not stressed about making sure I get all my comms. I play when I feel like it. It basically short-circuited the gear grind for a few months for me. And yay for that.

It won't last, though. Eventually, another tier will come along and I'll be back on the rat wheel again. But, for now, it feels good to not have to worry about loot drops for a few months.

I agree that it would have been the smart thing to do, but the reason why they didnt was probably to avoid having to do another patch. Probably would have been the best option.

And I'm sure that there were people who were curious that were trying to figure it out too. But considering who was posting on reddit this time and who was talking about it on PTS I think its a very safe assumption that the biggest offenders (the ones who turned around and started selling summons for millions) were ones who knew it existed on PTS and were trying to see if it would still work in live.

Assumptions are the mother of all ********! Did you know that if you find your old "Nintendo and games" they'll send you new ones? Think of all the games you can play that you wouldn't have to QQ on a Forum about...

Assumptions are the mother of all ********! Did you know that if you find your old "Nintendo and games" they'll send you new ones? Think of all the games you can play that you wouldn't have to QQ on a Forum about...

Again can you prove that it was just someone who was acting on curiousity who then got back there, the same way if not the same path from pts, and decided to sell it for millions? And it just so happened that the people bragging about killing the new WB on reddit were the same ones who had mentioned it from PTS?

Again can you prove that it was just someone who was acting on curiousity who then got back there, the same way if not the same path from pts, and decided to sell it for millions? And it just so happened that the people bragging about killing the new WB on reddit were the same ones who had mentioned it from PTS?

Didn't I just ask you that?

If they'd come down on "the biggest offenders", that would be one thing. From what they said, they treated those who did it several times to those who did it once.

All the people whining that they are getting schmacked by BW for using an exploit, especially after Ravagers, reminds me of the following thought I have on occasion.

What is it about an MMO that makes people forget about the common sense rules we follow irl. As examples...

-Guy runs into convenience store quick to get his coffee. Leaves car running in the parking lot. Stranger hops in and drives off. Does the stranger not get arrested?

-You are walking by a house and see the front door wide open. Do you walk in the house and simply take what you want?

Here we have a similar issue but even worse. It was clear and obvious that the portion of Ziost in question was locked. This was not a matter of walking in a wide open door. This was the equivalent of seeing a house with an open widow and the screen down and cutting the screen to climb in the window. Yes you could get into the locked area but you had to work at it to figure it out (unless someone showed ya).

There is also really no ability to claim ignorance here. First the intended lock was obvious. Second it was noted on the Dev tracker. For those that continued after it was announced be glad you actually have the right to rationalize you exploitation publically. Not too long ago in another game they told people who used an exploit "you will get a temporary suspension IF you go to this thread on the on the Official forums and publically apologize for knowingly using an exploit. You will not complain about this requirement directly or indirectly. You will acknowledge that it is indeed proper. If you do not you comply with all of the above you will be permenantly banned."

It would be one thing if with a straight face people could claim "I thought this was WAI.". You can't. They specifically said the next half on Ziost would not be released until May 4th and then when they found out people were finding a way around the lock said it was an exploit. It would be one thing if this didn't happen so close to the Ravagers exploit. However to bypass a clear lock with Ravagers still in recent memory... Well sorry the only person to blame is yourself.

All the people whining that they are getting schmacked by BW for using an exploit, especially after Ravagers, reminds me of the following thought I have on occasion.

What is it about an MMO that makes people forget about the common sense rules we follow irl. As examples...

-Guy runs into convenience store quick to get his coffee. Leaves car running in the parking lot. Stranger hops in and drives off. Does the stranger not get arrested?

-You are walking by a house and see the front door wide open. Do you walk in the house and simply take what you want?

If the stranger hops into the car and drives it off, the guy who ran into the convenience store is royally and truely (bad word) - he's out a device that cost many many thousands of dollars that he'll have to replace if it isn't found, he may have personal items in the car that are also gone, there are papers in the car that can be used for identity theft. And at a minimum, the meeting he was rushing to, he can't get to.

If you walk into the house, again you are taking things away from someone else. They will have to replace them. It's also terrifying and can leave people afraid about "what if they come back".

Ravagers, arguably it caused a competitive disadvantage, but nobody was worse off or missing any gear because someone else engaged in the exploit. And in this one - these people just got a one week head start on seeing the full 3.2 experience and participating in some of the activities, just like the rest of us will be able to do on Monday.

I'm not saying exploits shouldn't be blocked, but please. The analogy is ridiculous.

Here we have a similar issue but even worse.

Worse? Seriously? Other people getting gear or going through content before you do is worst than having your car stolen or someone getting some rich loot?

It was clear and obvious that the portion of Ziost in question was locked. This was not a matter of walking in a wide open door. This was the equivalent of seeing a house with an open widow and the screen down and cutting the screen to climb in the window. Yes you could get into the locked area but you had to work at it to figure it out (unless someone showed ya).

How many datacrons are put in places that it's "obvious" you can't get there, but you can figure out a way there. Yes, going around doors and so forth.

There is also really no ability to claim ignorance here. First the intended lock was obvious. Second it was noted on the Dev tracker. For those that continued after it was announced be glad you actually have the right to rationalize you exploitation publically. Not too long ago in another game they told people who used an exploit "you will get a temporary suspension IF you go to this thread on the on the Official forums and publically apologize for knowingly using an exploit. You will not complain about this requirement directly or indirectly. You will acknowledge that it is indeed proper. If you do not you comply with all of the above you will be permenantly banned."

It was noted on the Dev tracker hours after the content opened, after people were looking for the missing step to finish the content. The Dev tracker which requires special action to check and see if there's anything there, unlike the blog which generates emails telling you about the posts (and there was a post about 3.2 that didn't mention it) and the launcher. Apparently, some people were invited to a group and teleported in, never seeing the gate or anything like that.

It would be one thing if with a straight face people could claim "I thought this was WAI.". You can't. They specifically said the next half on Ziost would not be released until May 4th and then when they found out people were finding a way around the lock said it was an exploit. It would be one thing if this didn't happen so close to the Ravagers exploit. However to bypass a clear lock with Ravagers still in recent memory... Well sorry the only person to blame is yourself.

They said the next half of Ziost would not be released until May 4th many hours after the content unlocked and in a place that isn't in the immediate data path used by most players.

Your first response pretty much proves my question has validity. Yes I used "biggies" but what you are trying to do is create a "relativistic" argument. If in your opinion the "violation" is minor then why bother with a punishment. This argument alone pretty much shows that you are not arguing from an objectively logical position but rather are in search of a self serving rationalization to justify the act.

In the rest of the argument you completely dodge the obvious point. It was ridiculously clear how you were supposed to proceed and that it was blocked off on multiple levels. First when you finish the last current quest it tells you "go to station". You click on the terminal and you get a BIG scripted message in red saying that you can't proceed. Then if you decide to try and move forward any who you hit a WALL. The comparison of this to datacrons is so disingenuous that it gives me a head ache. This is simply a rather transparent (and fail) effort to dodge the window analogy I raised.

Next the WB there, gives an advantage akin to the Ravagers one you grudgingly admit to.

Lastly your whole attempt to dismiss the Dev tracker is equally disingenuous. Your logic (actually lack there of) can be applied to ANY way thedevs communicate with us. "How many people actually read the emails?", " how many people watch the live streams?" etc. The way the devs communicate such things is via the forums. If you don't use the forums it is on YOU.

If it looks like an exploit and feels like an exploit it is probably...an exploit. I don't know at this point which is the worst possibility as I read the rather weak rationalizations.

1. That people honestly didn't think this was an exploit to begin with.

2. That people actually thought after Ravagers that an exploit would not be punished and that if after Officially stating it was an exploit the devs would not apply harsher penalties.

3. That people think, while they exploited, that anyone other than others who actually exploited will buy the transparent rationalizations.

The first shows a colossal lack of common sense. The 2nd and 3rd show a complete lack of any sense of accountability and the third adds insult to injury by those who believed they would not be held accountable trying to paint themselves as a victim.

Edited by Ghisallo

Here we have a similar issue but even worse. It was clear and obvious that the portion of Ziost in question was locked. This was not a matter of walking in a wide open door. This was the equivalent of seeing a house with an open widow and the screen down and cutting the screen to climb in the window. Yes you could get into the locked area but you had to work at it to figure it out (unless someone showed ya).

This.

Your first response pretty much proves my question has validity. Yes I used "biggies" but what you are trying to do is create a "relativistic" argument. If in your opinion the "violation" is minor then why bother with a punishment. This argument alone pretty much shows that you are not arguing from an objectively logical position but rather are in search of a self serving rationalization to justify the act..

Actually, there's nothing self serving in it. Didn't do Ravagers, didn't do this. I was so disgusted after I realized the message meant "come back in a week" I logged off and only logged back in to transfer basics to an alt (Makeb still has armor mods that cost 10 basics).

And yes, there is a relative issue in play, there are in fact SEVERAL relative issues in play. The attitude of some in the thread, from permabans to remove all gear and don't let them group, is crazy. It's insane. It's a fricking GAME. For the most part, it's a PVE game so Joe over there getting some goodies maybe he shouldn't doesn't hurt you at all.

And second, the comparison between this and Ravagers is laughable. Ravagers was a way to generate really high end loot with no effort, and they could create a LOT of loot with it. There's never been a way in the game to get loot that good that easy and never will be. This issue lets them do content early, the exact same content we'll be doing on the 4th. It wasn't any easier for them to get it then it will be for us, they didn't get any better loot than we'll get. They just got it early. And yet they're being punished more severely than those who exploited Ravagers.

And no, the error message when you try to use the planetary status monitor is NOT clear that "content is over for now". There's lots of content where, using a device, you get error messages like that, meaning you missed a step so go back and find it. I spent 20 minutes, including checking the forum, and all I learned was that others were equally stuck and confused. It was only after that time, someone who had used it on beta said that the content died there on the beta so they hadn't fixed it. It was only some time later, after logging off, I found out it wasn't a bug, but intentional. 20 minutes spinning my wheels looking for a solution makes me annoyed. And for them to only announce later "oh you're not supposed to go any further" - I almost uninstalled the client at that point.

I'm not good at the datacron hunt, I get very few, because when I can spot some, my reaction generally is "you can't get there from here". Even following walkthroughs, I tend to fall at some point or another (there's a reason I'm playing this game instead of Super Mario Brothers). Granted, I haven't looked at the wall in question. But seeing the contortions you go through to get them, yes, I can believe someone thinks that working around the wall is the right thing. Hell, there are parts in the climb up the people's tower where you're getting past theoretically impassable blocks.

And yes, sometimes when there's new content, I'll get invites to jump right into an op or flashpoint or something. In the past, yes, I had to make my way to the mission point, but after having been transported to other op locations in these past few months, it wouldn't surprise me to be teleported to a place to fight a big boss.

I get that for some people they really, REALLY want to see people lynched. They really, REALLY want to see the witches burn. And I won't deny, there are some I'd like to se lynched - but they work for Bioware for doing this in this incredibly lousy way. (Lynch in an allegorical sense not literal.)

Actually, there's nothing self serving in it. Didn't do Ravagers, didn't do this. I was so disgusted after I realized the message meant "come back in a week" I logged off and only logged back in to transfer basics to an alt (Makeb still has armor mods that cost 10 basics).

I didn't say you did it. A self serving argument can be made to defend a position that is otherwise untenable.

And yes, there is a relative issue in play, there are in fact SEVERAL relative issues in play. The attitude of some in the thread, from permabans to remove all gear and don't let them group, is crazy. It's insane. It's a fricking GAME. For the most part, it's a PVE game so Joe over there getting some goodies maybe he shouldn't doesn't hurt you at all.

When I refer to relativistic I mean degree of "wrong". You are trying to turn an argument of " right/wrong?" "exploit yes/no?" into one of degree to minimize the initial question, which is the most important. Its like the person stopped for blowing a red light right in front of a cop saying "don't you have real criminals to chase?"

And second, the comparison between this and Ravagers is laughable. Ravagers was a way to generate really high end loot with no effort, and they could create a LOT of loot with it. There's never been a way in the game to get loot that good that easy and never will be. This issue lets them do content early, the exact same content we'll be doing on the 4th. It wasn't any easier for them to get it then it will be for us, they didn't get any better loot than we'll get. They just got it early. And yet they're being punished more severely than those who exploited Ravagers.

If you are in a competitive OPs force the weapons that the WB drops will be an edge...204 main hand weapons. Farming that can be the difference between a server or a world first. It is directly analogous to the motive behind the Ravager's exploit. Maybe you didn't know about the 204 main hands. If you did know then again a disingenuous rationalization has been presented.

You also ignore that the reason they are punished more harshly. First the devs did punish people for the Ravager's exploit. So those who exploit after are basically calling BW's bluff. Second the people getting punished more harshly are those who exploited this NOT only because they did so after Ravagers but because they did so after the devs specifically called this an exploit. Essentially calling a bluff twice.

And no, the error message when you try to use the planetary status monitor is NOT clear that "content is over for now". There's lots of content where, using a device, you get error messages like that, meaning you missed a step so go back and find it. I spent 20 minutes, including checking the forum, and all I learned was that others were equally stuck and confused. It was only after that time, someone who had used it on beta said that the content died there on the beta so they hadn't fixed it. It was only some time later, after logging off, I found out it wasn't a bug, but intentional. 20 minutes spinning my wheels looking for a solution makes me annoyed. And for them to only announce later "oh you're not supposed to go any further" - I almost uninstalled the client at that point.

Sorry but if you have an ounce of common sense it definitely says that. Tell me...how often in this game have you gotten a scripted red letter Message telling you the "clickie" for the next stage if a text is not working because it is simply bugged? No, no...don't tell me I know the answer...NEVER...if it is a scripted response then that should make you think. THEN add the fact the wall exists and well... Logic > than rationalizations imo.

Edited by Ghisallo

Only ran into this thread by chance. So treating it like everyone should know feels wrong. If you're going to punish violators, why not make it an official announcement? A lot of people never visit the forums or only if they need something, some not even then.

I believe I almost got into the area through the spirit of exploration, but seeing this thread was the ultimate deciding factor to stop exploring at that point. I wonder if just getting inside through exploration (just to look) would have punished me.

Of course I see 2 areas that could be meant, entering one of those looks impossible through normal exploration techniques and would probably require a bug to exploit, so I would almost say it should be common sense not to enter that one. But also neither for any rewards.

So much for them wanting us to go off the beaten path.

---

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for punishing exploiters, but there are people out there that will not exploit but may get punished. It all depends where they mean.

---

And I just saw a place I feel urged to try to climb to, but this scares me off in case that's part of the exploit. Guess I'll wait with that till next week when it's drowning in lag even more.

Edited by Lyshar

Only ran into this thread by chance. So treating it like everyone should know feels wrong. If you're going to punish violators, why not make it an official announcement? A lot of people never visit the forums or only if they need something, some not even then.

I believe I almost got into the area through the spirit of exploration, but seeing this thread was the ultimate deciding factor to stop exploring at that point. I wonder if just getting inside through exploration (just to look) would have punished me.

You can't get inside through exploration. Not anymore after they blocked the path. The path that was reported on PTS.

Edited by Halinalle

Of course I see 2 areas that could be meant, entering one of those looks impossible through normal exploration techniques and would probably require a bug to exploit, so I would almost say it should be common sense not to enter that one. But also neither for any rewards.

So much for them wanting us to go off the beaten path.

---

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for punishing exploiters, but there are people out there that will not exploit but may get punished. It all depends where they mean.

---

And I just saw a place I feel urged to try to climb to, but this scares me off in case that's part of the exploit. Guess I'll wait with that till next week when it's drowning in lag even more.

The "exploration" path was pointed out on PTS and closed....there is/was another way that is not about exploration but rather, to a critical thinker, "how do I get around the obvious invisible wall."

It matters because of 204 main hands...it matters because if they don't continue to slam people after the Ravagers issue and THEN after publically saying this to was an exploit as well...that BW might as well never punish people for exploiting again.

I get that some people want to "get ahead.". I get that others just like finding ways to " get around the system.". Tbh I would bet that more than a few of the exploiters did it on purpose. Look at the obvious anger/annoyance over the fact all of Ziost was not released at once. If anyone thinks a fair number of the exploiters didn't go looking for a way around the "wall" so that they could say "well we stuck it to them didn't we. They should have given it to us all it once any who...ha ha we got what we wanted in the end...f u BW", well I think that's just being niave.

You put out a planet which people were excited for & some came back for to then tell us to wait till may the 4th. Now i'm not saying i agree with exploits at all, but while you punish fans who were to excited to wait what about your punishment? I'm still waiting for the Christmas apology over the month of unplayable gaming. Maybe make things more clear before you rush an empty patch and relax a little on "Over excited fans" otherwise good luck on trying to keep the game up with just F2P players.

You put out a planet which people were excited for & some came back for to then tell us to wait till may the 4th. Now i'm not saying i agree with exploits at all, but while you punish fans who were to excited to wait what about your punishment? I'm still waiting for the Christmas apology over the month of unplayable gaming. Maybe make things more clear before you rush an empty patch and relax a little on "Over excited fans" otherwise good luck on trying to keep the game up with just F2P players.

It still comes down to taking responsibility for your own actions. I don't give a **** if they were "over excited" or that they "couldn't wait" the fact is they knowingly went into an area they were not supposed to go into.

It still comes down to taking responsibility for your own actions. I don't give a **** if they were "over excited" or that they "couldn't wait" the fact is they knowingly went into an area they were not supposed to go into.

I totally agree on that side, kinda why i don't exploit and why i ain't a fan of people who do, but the devs need to take responsibility too. I'm kinda bored with there bugged and half baked patches, maybe banning people is what the exploiters want so they can laugh and stick there fingers up. All am saying is that the devs need to answer to the community than banning there only remaining income.

Their only remaining income? :lol: This game is still extremely profitable for EA and yet you act like they are barely surviving. These exploiters make up such a small percentage of their revenue stream that they probably COULD permaban them and not really notice it. I guess people are just hoping if they spread their doom and gloom enough people might start to believe it.

Their only remaining income? :lol: This game is still extremely profitable for EA and yet you act like they are barely surviving. These exploiters make up such a small percentage of their revenue stream that they probably COULD permaban them and not really notice it. I guess people are just hoping if they spread their doom and gloom enough people might start to believe it.

http://www.swtornetwork.com/articles/electronic-arts-quarterly-report-old-republic-revenues/ well on there last major EA profits report, SWTOR was down. I was not fully pointing out that there income is from exploiters, i also meant subbers who may leave due to the half baked patches and there unwillingness to work with the community, especially ignoring the month of hell at the end of last year.

http://www.swtornetwork.com/articles/electronic-arts-quarterly-report-old-republic-revenues/ well on there last major EA profits report, SWTOR was down. I was not fully pointing out that there income is from exploiters, i also meant subbers who may leave due to the half baked patches and there unwillingness to work with the community, especially ignoring the month of hell at the end of last year.

Before you say "last profits" make sure you check the dates okay? That was based on earnings prior to Sept of Last year (prior to SoR launch). In January they had the earnings call for the Quarter that included SoR (Q3 2015). In that earnings call instead on noting decreased revenue the CFO noted that SWTOR helped to contribute to a 47% increase in the segments revenue. (You can find the call on EA's web site.)

Edited by Ghisallo

• Dev Post
I'd love to here the update on weekend exploiters. I know that the BW Austin staff are making sure the 12xXP is activating so get to us when you can.

Excellent request! I am happy to report that throughout the whole weekend we had exactly zero new exploiters. We really can't express how happy we are to see that all of our players continued to play fair and without the use of an exploit. In the future, it will continue to be our goal to respond to, and act quickly to curb use of any exploit. A special thank you to all of you who avoided this issue and to everyone who reported this to us privately. Get back to leveling!

-eric