The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Haha

They've been doing this for a while now...that said, I agree that it's a rip off. For the price you pay for some of these things, they should include at least one change in the price, so that it seems free.

Agreed, it should just apply the change as you consume the unlock, should be no need to visit the appearance designer at all for that very first time.

It costs CC to change any appearance, even to the ones available in the character creator. Not sure why your though buying access to another option would give you a free change.

Idk maybe because I'm already subscribed and then paid further real money to them for eyes that were deceptively marketed to me at 100 cc but really are 120. I think they lose a huge portion of playerbase with their overzealous cash shop. This angers me further when I only need 20 cc to change it but I currently only have 15 meaning I'll have to buy another $5 for the 5 cc I need to change. They have potential to pick up a lot of new players with the new movie coming out, but if they don't improve on their f2p model they can hang it up.

Edited by LordLaevinus

DUDES! Read what Rankyn said!

It costs some amount of CC to unlock eyes, extra hairstyles, extra hair colours, interesting tattoo patterns, etc.

It costs some other amount of CC to change aspects (different amount depending on what you change) of your character in the Appearance Kiosk; this other amount is the same whether you change to a base version that is available to all accounts or to a version that is available only to accounts that have unlocked it.

The two services are completely separate. And they'd have to mail a free-change object to every character on your account, in case it's --> those twelve characters that the purchaser wants to change, and the CCs effectively given away for that are a bit scary - I've heard of people with 37 characters just counting the ones above level 55!

So no, this is not the problem you're looking for...

Idk maybe because I'm already subscribed and then paid further real money to them for eyes that were deceptively marketed to me at 100 cc but really are 120. I think they lose a huge portion of playerbase with their overzealous cash shop.

This seems unlikely. In general (of course with individual exceptions), the players who are driven away by such a thing are not the target group for these items and they also don't buy these items in the first place. If you want these cosmetics, you pay for them. It is as easy as that.

If you ("you" meant generally here) have the mindset that 120 CC instead of 100 CC is upsetting, then I am sure that if not this thing, then you would find something else which upsets you. This is not intended as a judging comment. I only want to point out that it is about mindsets.

Coincidentally, I changed the eye colours of my main today as well, because Cyborgs can now finally have these nice shiny green eyes. I clicked the "apply" button and paid the 20 CC without even hesitating a millisecond. I didn't see a problem with it.

Idk maybe because I'm already subscribed and then paid further real money to them for eyes that were deceptively marketed to me at 100 cc but really are 120. I think they lose a huge portion of playerbase with their overzealous cash shop. This angers me further when I only need 20 cc to change it but I currently only have 15 meaning I'll have to buy another $5 for the 5 cc I need to change. They have potential to pick up a lot of new players with the new movie coming out, but if they don't improve on their f2p model they can hang it up.

special snowflake award....you get one.

You should be able change the Cartel Market items free of charge from the designer kiosk (If I buy Green eyes, I should be able to switch between Green and yellow eyes free of costs). Never gonna happen but buying things twice is gonna seem really stupid to people. As is the case right now.

You should be able change the Cartel Market items free of charge from the designer kiosk (If I buy Green eyes, I should be able to switch between Green and yellow eyes free of costs). Never gonna happen but buying things twice is gonna seem really stupid to people. As is the case right now.

Only because they don't realize that buying the item from the CM and changing your eyes within the kiosk are two completely different services.

What industry to you work in where they do not charge you both for the product and the service. Get oil changed charged for both the oil AND the change. get car serviced, charged for the parts AND the labor.

The point you are missing.

You are unlocking the ability to have green eyes on ALL toons across your entire account on any server. You are THEN paying for the ability to change your eye colors of which ONE of the options are green. If you changed it to say Red, or Yellow from blue, you would still need to pay the fee.

not quite sure where you got the idea that doing the unlock also gave you the free privilege of changing your current eye color.

Unlocking a new species also requires you to pay to change species.

I honestly never liked that changing appearance at the kioks used cartel coins. It's the only MMO I've ever played that didn't offer an in game credit option for appearance changes. And that includes multiple F2P games. At the very least subscribers should have a credit option. It's just greedy. It's not so bad since we get free cartel coins. It just means I can't change my hair every week like I do in other games.

It is what it is and we just have to deal. :p

I honestly never liked that changing appearance at the kioks used cartel coins. It's the only MMO I've ever played that didn't offer an in game credit option for appearance changes. And that includes multiple F2P games. At the very least subscribers should have a credit option. It's just greedy. It's not so bad since we get free cartel coins. It just means I can't change my hair every week like I do in other games.

Guild Wars 1 has an equivalent to the Appearance Kiosk, and you have to pay using a micropayment-only item. In GW2, it is simultaneously better and worse - you can buy Gems (CC equivalent) for in-game gold or real money and then use the Gems to buy the appearance-changer, but there is no way to preview a change without buying the item.

Runes of Magic's character re-shaping system is paid for using "diamonds" (CC equivalent), and while it *is* possible to buy them for in-game currency, they are expensive and you cannot buy more than 15 a day. RoM is a nominally f2p game, although surviving at end-game is very hard without spending some real money.

In both GW2 and RoM, however, you can change sex but not species. (The opposite of SWTOR, in effect.)