The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Do you guys hate Thana Vesh?

lawszepie

Hence the "male testosterone" reference I made earlier. :D

She's the pinnacle of comical relief, as far as the Sith are concerned.

This whole "male testosterone" thing in the thread is -almost- as hilarious as all the lowbie inqs i see waxing poetic on how much they would do Zash... :D (oh the hindsight backpedaling they then do.... :p )

Edited by XiamaraSimi

This whole "male testosterone" thing in the thread is -almost- as hilarious as all the lowbie inqs i see waxing poetic on how much they would do Zash... :D

Before or after the big showdown in the innermost chamber of the Dark Temple?

If the latter, that's seriously disturbing. :p

It's funny that Skadge should be brought up, because this topic made me think of him too. They have a similar attitude in many ways, though Skadge is a big ugly lump and Thana is a pretty young woman so she is generally more tolerable. But I just can't take either one of them seriously, which is why I find them more hilarious than annoying.

Actually, Thana brings to mind the tsundere trope. You only really see a "tsun" side, but I imagine some people like to think she has a "dere" side too. I bet if she was a companion, she'd have some crew skills lines to this effect: "I-it's not like I wanted to get these purple mats just for you, I'm so awesome it just happened!" :p

Edited by Gwena

Thana, on the other hand, always surprises me how she's able to ignite her lightsaber without beheading herself. Her character is that dumb in my eyes. :p

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder (Megalomania)

Unfortunately, due to the limited writing, she comes across more as just terminally (terminatably?) stupid. It would have been nice to have a choice besides killing her or letting her go (like taking her as a companion or secret apprentice or something).

Part of people's fascination with Thana may be due to masculinity, but 99% is a wee bit insulting to men :-)

That said, Gayem Leksende is probably the male version of Thana and doesn't seem to generate as much interest.

Gayem Leksende is one of my most favorite characters. I would start a fan club. :D I almost always let him live and his follow up email is worth it. Another haughty Sith chick I really like is Vaverone Zare from the smuggler quest. Also a fantastic follow up email.

Edited by Karaiblis

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder (Megalomania)

Unfortunately, due to the limited writing, she comes across more as just terminally (terminatably?) stupid. It would have been nice to have a choice besides killing her or letting her go (like taking her as a companion or secret apprentice or something).

I seriously doubt her character was ever written or thought of as someone who suffers from NPD.

At the end of the day, she's just a play, a parody if you will, at how utterly stupid and incompetent the Sith can be, possibly akin to Lord Vanithrast, but far more fleshed out.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I view Thana Vesh as a prime example of why the Sith eventually get defeated by the Jedi. She's far too concerned with her own personal glory and not the goals of the Empire. I also find her irritating as all hell. The near-constant "look at me I'm awesome" pretty much guarantees that I will choose to kill her every single time.

It's funny that Skadge should be brought up, because this topic made me think of him too. They have a similar attitude in many ways, though Skadge is a big ugly lump and Thana is a pretty young woman so she is generally more tolerable. But I just can't take either one of them seriously, which is why I find them more hilarious than annoying.

Actually, Thana brings to mind the tsundere trope. You only really see a "tsun" side, but I imagine some people like to think she has a "dere" side too. I bet if she was a companion, she'd have some crew skills lines to this effect: "I-it's not like I wanted to get these purple mats just for you, I'm so awesome it just happened!" :p

I am 100% convinced there is no nice side to Thana. Still, you otherwise have my point exactly. Even though Thana has absolutely no likable qualities, since she looks pretty, people who find her attractive completely blind themselves to what a horrible person she is and how she is NOT someone you'd want in your crew. This attitude of ignoring a character's horrible qualities just because they look pretty tends to annoy me. On a related note, the matter of "male testosterone" that has come up also brings another thing to mind. Thana is one of the few female characters that one can flirt with for an extended period of time, but never blossom a romance. I suspect there may be an element of longing with her popularity, with people on some level just refusing to accept that there could be, *gasp*, a girl who doesn't like them, and thus longing to have her with them so they could blossom a proper romance.

Yes, I do hate Thana.

She's brash, not terribly intelligent, and the most unforgivable - she's incompetent. Anakin was whiny and brash, but at least he was competent. He managed to kill Dooku and win many major battles during the Clone Wars. Thana couldn't beat a cathar.

She's as much of a threat to the Imperials as she is to the Republic.

I have never let her live, even on my lightside toons.

The only reason she has fans is because she's a chick and has a nice voice actor. Like someone previously stated, if she were a whiny male in his 20s, she'd be universally hated.

Edited by CaulderBenson

The few times I re-played Taris Empire planet quest line was only to troll and kill Thana Vesh.

She's awfully incompetent, insecure, unreliable and tries too hard. Even a light side character as Vette approved Thana's demise :D

I always attribute her incompetence as being the fault of her "master". Clearly she needs a REAL master to teach her the proper lessons. :p

I always attribute her incompetence as being the fault of her "master". Clearly she needs a REAL master to teach her the proper lessons. :p

Gravus seemed to be a pretty smart and competent guy. I'm sure that the reality is that Thana simply won't listen to the proper lessons. If she doesn't like your idea, then rather than consider it, she'll just up and leave. That's one reason she'd be a bad companion; she is not teachable.

Edited by rashencyberspeed

I enjoyed her, I'll be honest. I thought she had a short .. Life in the gameplay so I created a realistic character of her. I like to think she survived Taris and went to conquer a different planet, or kill anyone she crosses without mercy.

I wish they would bring her back though

I enjoyed her, I'll be honest. I thought she had a short .. Life in the gameplay so I created a realistic character of her. I like to think she survived Taris and went to conquer a different planet, or kill anyone she crosses without mercy.

I wish they would bring her back though

Considering the amount of people who admit to killing her no matter what alignment their character is, that would be a monumentally impossible task to pull off.

She is a character that -screams- kill me. And most are only too happy to oblige. I have, and will continue to, kill her on every single character that goes through Taris.

Part of people's fascination with Thana may be due to masculinity, but 99% is a wee bit insulting to men :-)

That said, Gayem Leksende is probably the male version of Thana and doesn't seem to generate as much interest.

I think Gayem Leksende is the opposite of Thana. Where as Thana is attractive and criminally stupid, Leksende is homely and criminally smart :p I'm pretty sure if Leksende was a good looking flirt option he'd have a much bigger fan base than he has now.

I dislike Thana rather than hate her. She might be salvageable with a master that can properly control her (and make her wash her face!), but as is she is a rabid dog that needs to die.

Her most likable quality is the sexy Laura Bailey voice. Haven't been to Taris in a really long time, but I'm pretty sure that's who the VA was. Pretty much any character voiced by Laura Bailey is going to seem way hotter. Without that, I think she would have been just another annoying generic Sith. Edited by Kryand

Her most likable quality is the sexy Laura Bailey voice. Haven't been to Taris in a really long time, but I'm pretty sure that's who the VA was. Pretty much any character voiced by Laura Bailey is going to seem way hotter.

Laura Bailey voiced both Thana Vesh and Ki Sazen on Taris. :D

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Oh I also forgot the outfit. I'm remembering the first time I went to Taris back in the first month of release, and my first thought upon seeing her was "damn that's a cool outfit". I hoped it would be in the game for players, but of course it wasn't until like a year+ later with the cartel market. Pretty much the only reason she was memorable at all is because I spent months saying "I want those boots and that chest piece!". So when I think Thana Vesh, the two things that come to mind are 1) Laura Bailey so sexy, and 2) awesome outfit. Doesn't really say much for the character, though. Edited by Kryand

Considering the amount of people who admit to killing her no matter what alignment their character is, that would be a monumentally impossible task to pull off.

She is a character that -screams- kill me. And most are only too happy to oblige. I have, and will continue to, kill her on every single character that goes through Taris.

Just bring her back as a cyborg, the implication being that she survived you killing her or something actually literally blew up in her face this time.

"Good to see you again, Thana. You look different."

Thana: :mad:

I was happy I could kill her. I did not feel like there was anything to her meddling that elevated my character in any way by defeating her, but she was one of those annoying characters that are good to finally see the end of.

Now, Skavak actually was a fun competitor and a kill! Particularly if you lead him on, then knee him as an opening to the fight. That would have been an amazing out of party rival romance if they’ve managed to continue it through Ch 2 and 3 in the same upbeat fashion. :)

Hunter would have also been gazillion times better than Thana if the female character did get to see the cool ending that the males get.

I guess, I just find a competent rival that actually bests you a few times more appealing as a video-game romantic prospect than someone who loses every step of the way.