The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

S.A. and specially Brazil are both forgotten to BW/EA.

henriquecorseuil

Yes. Exactly what the title says. South America and specially Brazil is just forgotten by BW/EA, and I will tell you why.

The game is entirely based on english. Here in the site, there only 3 options for the language choosen (english, french and deutsch). As you see, not even spanish exists.

I know SWTOR is all about voice-action cut-scening game. But they can, of course and without doubt, translate the dialogues and subtitles into portuguese (and spanish). The menu's, in-game stuffs and all, they should get them into these both 2 languages.

Regargless that, everyone knows that Brazil is a big market of gaming and gamers. Also, people here are very consumers and spenders. Most of TOPs MMOs have an option for playing the game into portuguese and the one's still don't have, I'm sure will soon.

This is different when you enter in USA and you're foreign. If I go to USA, OK, fine, I'm entering where the native language isn't mine, so I need to speak in their language, of course, this right with no doubt. But that's not the case. You are selling and trying to sell a product to people AROUND the entirely world.

Here are my concerns:

1st - There aren't any type of discount for S.A. players (R$ 30,00 per month is too expensive to us).

2nd - SWTOR is the most expensive MMO I've ever experienced (to sub or to buy things inside the game).

3rd - There aren't a real marketing and deals distribution in S.A., specially in Brazil. No promotions, no movies, no nothing to show the game features and stuffs.

4th - As I said, the entirely game is english. No even the subtitles could be changed to portuguese. Bring portuguese to us, it will attract much more fans of Brazil with no doubt.

5th - The Cantina Tour is set into USA only. Why you don't bring this with promotions, rewards and else around the world? Come to S.A., Brazil. Go to Asia. Go to Australia.

6th - Expand your horizons beyond USA and Europe. South America, in special, have a large community that may support and enjoy the game.

7th - Make conditions to players who don't use dollar as your 1st coin, like S.A. players, like me, like us all which lives far from USA and need always to be caution about the coins variations on the global market.

8th - Game promotion rewards? To the hell "4 color crystals". Make rewards like setting up a discount on subbing, on Collection Unlock price and also CM stuff (not these 25% that is always up).

However, the two most important thing to me is the subbing price for S.A. players (specially us Brazilians) and the portugueses needed subtitles which may be included. We don't want to hear the voice-action in portuguese, but only the subtitles, menu's, in-game things... like most of others MMO's do.

Regardless that, I don't exactly know why I'm here, because nobody from BW/EA staff will read this and they won't change nothing about all I've said. But I need to come here and write those things, because this was stronger than my will to not do this.

More and better subbing conditions to S.A., portuguese subtitles and better worth rewards from promotions... PLEASE!:o

they don't translate to Chinese and Hindie either....Or Russian, Japaneese, Spanish (spain or mexico), Norwegian, Polish...

Perhaps they should... Especially if all the OP is specifically asking for in that regard is for them to translate the subtitles. There's no request to translate all of the forums on the Web site, the patch notes, or even change the language of the voice acting to a currently unavailable language. It seems to me that this request, at least, is very reasonable. Is there a time investment to be made there? Sure, but more subs could potentially make that investment negligible, and probably even pay for itself.

Perhaps they should... Especially if all the OP is specifically asking for in that regard is for them to translate the subtitles. There's no request to translate all of the forums on the Web site, the patch notes, or even change the language of the voice acting to a currently unavailable language. It seems to me that this request, at least, is very reasonable. Is there a time investment to be made there? Sure, but more subs could potentially make that investment negligible, and probably even pay for itself.

That and a cheaper sub for S.A.from what I read.

As a native Portuguese speaker and professional translator, I'd *love* to make a deal with Bioware to translate all the subtitles

(hint, hint :cool:)

As for the OP critiques: yes, the sub fee is quite hefty for us here, since the dollar-to-real rate went nuts these past months. Now, I don't think a discount is the way to go, but maybe charge us in local currency instead of US dollars? Is that even possible for Bioware? I know WoW does it, and it's no wonder why that MMO has so many paying customers here in Brazil.

As a native Portuguese speaker and professional translator, I'd *love* to make a deal with Bioware to translate all the subtitles

(hint, hint :cool:)

As for the OP critiques: yes, the sub fee is quite hefty for us here, since the dollar-to-real rate went nuts these past months. Now, I don't think a discount is the way to go, but maybe charge us in local currency instead of US dollars? Is that even possible for Bioware? I know WoW does it, and it's no wonder why that MMO has so many paying customers here in Brazil.

Is there any research about this to prove (the translation part)? Cheaping the prices with some promo would be enough to bring tons of players, there are many, many star wars fans here (check major Anime/Geek events), and i know many of them would play the game. Our gear is being updated (at least some of the medium class/elite anyway ;p) so there are many players with decent hardware/connection to new games, also most gamers know english. If they don't, they end up learning, specially when it's about an amazing game in an amazing universe with an amazing cheap price*(one can dream).

There are tons of players here wasting money in LoL and Dota2, don't you wish some of that money could be yours, EA? I dare you, i double dare you. mother buahaha.

Some of the reasons these games profit way better than swtor: it's not pay to win, it's pay to get cute/awesome/even more awesome/godly awesome. It's truly free to play (Dota2 excels in this aspect).

The prices aren't that high; we suffer a bit from conversions, but not from taxes, although the content is so good most ppl don't care. I have a group of close friends which some of them have wasted more than 1000 R$ in dota2 items easily, I, myself, have waste near 500 R$, maybe a bit more. How much money did all of us togheter waste in mmos, including swtor? No more than ~600, and that's me, mostly. Guess it's about time a true, ONLINE RPG comes here and steal away all the power from that kids game called wow of lolcraft or something. :cool:

Specially when it's a mmo that was firstly designed for it, amiright?

And no, i believe they can arrange deals with local distributors so they won't lose money at all from selling cheaper. But first, they have to invest in it, probably... Guess I will call a friend that studies Admin, he probably knows the mechanics and can help posting here, since he played swtor when it was launched.

Also im talking mostly about Brazil, I don't know much about other countries around here.

Bluntly...not much money to be made south of texas. Yea it sounds bad but its true, more ppl die in mexico each year from cartel fighting than the combined fighting in the middle east, not to mention all the south american nations are under developed and brazil ,which is the most likely for mmo servers to be placed, has such a high tarrif on imported goods that its simply not cost effective, so yea europe, jappan, australia and canada are easier to work with as far as mmos go

hell have you seen what ANY game equipment costs down there? its outrageous I agree but it is your own various governments that either impose taxes or dont have the media infrastructure to support what is the standard for gaming in the us

so you may see bioware as the bad guys but in all honesty its not their fault in this case

so

get your ***** together south america and dont blame the US for your problems

Edited by oked

Bluntly...not much money to be made south of texas. Yea it sounds bad but its true, more ppl die in mexico each year from cartel fighting than the combined fighting in the middle east, not to mention all the south american nations are under developed and brazil ,which is the most likely for mmo servers to be placed, has such a high tarrif on imported goods that its simply not cost effective, so yea europe, jappan, australia and canada are easier to work with as far as mmos go

hell have you seen what ANY game equipment costs down there? its outrageous I agree but it is your own various governments that either impose taxes or dont have the media infrastructure to support what is the standard for gaming in the us

so you may see bioware as the bad guys but in all honesty its not their fault in this case

so

get your ***** together south america and dont blame the US for your problems

No one mentioned mexico ;p it's not even in south america.

But yes, BR has high taxes for importation, THAT'S WHERE a third preferably Brazilian company enters, one that can sell store as local content. Or something like that. The word im looking for is, EA/Bio have to outsorce the selling service. I know many companies do it somehow, as i said, blizzard is selling wow for 15 BRL, which is like 5$. WOULD THEY DO IT, IF THEY WERE LOOSING MONEY? hehehe :cool:

Edited by James_Mcturney
clearing/fixing.

My gosh, too many answers to reply and quote! I wasn't expecting this post will have more than one reply. Well, that's good.

The most important point is the conditions for subbing. Like my fellow countryman said above, they can at least set the subbing price for R$ BRL 15,00, same way in WoW. They will lose money with that? No, I'm they won't. Because this is just the same price as set there in USA, but with OUR own coin.

Most, maybe all of my friends and people I know just don't start playing because subbing is far too high for them, and there many other options in the moment with lower prices and better payment conditions.

Believe me, set the subbing for 15,00 BRL, and translate the subtitles to portuguese. DO this and you will gain an absurd of players from BRA, I'm no doubt of it. Also, this is not hard to do and won't make BW/EA lose money.

If you can't see these changes will only improve the game and bring much more players-fans to SWTOR, then you are totally blind man.. lol.

The most important point is the conditions for subbing. Like my fellow countryman said above, they can at least set the subbing price for R$ BRL 15,00, same way in WoW. They will lose money with that? No, I'm they won't. Because this is just the same price as set there in USA, but with OUR own coin.

I'm not opposed to Adding subtitles in more languages, or having local pricing for different regions. That said, BioWare Austin and EA are both based in America, and they have no offices in South America at all. That means they have to deal with the exchange rates, and possibly foreign transaction fees from their Credit Card processed. These factors might make it not worth while for them to offer local pricing.

I'm not opposed to Adding subtitles in more languages, or having local pricing for different regions. That said, BioWare Austin and EA are both based in America, and they have no offices in South America at all. That means they have to deal with the exchange rates, and possibly foreign transaction fees from their Credit Card processed. These factors might make it not worth while for them to offer local pricing.

You have a point fella. I'm pretty sure about that. BUT, if don't try something different you'll never know the results of it... don't you think? I mean, they can give it a shot and try for a month or two to watch the results. Some ideas must get out of paper to let Dev's know if it will be or not worth....

alright, from my BR point of view:

atm, the rate of Real to Dollar is $3,10~ atm

the 60 days pack should be costing at least 95~100,00

we are still paying 67.00, which was set when dollar was only $1,90

DONT CRY ON THAT, we must be very grateful that they still haven't updated the prices, and i'll remain a sub to that day, cause more than we already pay is no-go for us

also because we can pay on our own currency since mid 2013, instead of searching for 3rd sellers

second, what i love on swtor is the lack of HUEHUEing around

there are so many games where we are IP blocked, and when swtor was launched, BRs couldnt even download, althought we werent actually prohibited to play

we all know the bad behaviour of our BR fellows, and having them around would only make everything crappy for everyone

THINK OF THE HORDS SAYING GIB MONEY I REPORT U AND STEALING OUR DAILY OBJECTIVES!!!! (more than people already do)

BW would work on banning us from the game cause they would pollute chat more than the credits bots do

Now, I don't think a discount is the way to go, but maybe charge us in local currency instead of US dollars? Is that even possible for Bioware? .

not sure how they are screwing you, but yes we can pay in reais, they have a deal with GlobalCollect

alright, from my BR point of view:

atm, the rate of Real to Dollar is $3,10~ atm

the 60 days pack should be costing at least 95~100,00

we are still paying 67.00, which was set when dollar was only $1,90

DONT CRY ON THAT, we must be very grateful that they still haven't updated the prices, and i'll remain a sub to that day, cause more than we already pay is no-go for us

also because we can pay on our own currency since mid 2013, instead of searching for 3rd sellers

not sure how they are screwing you, but yes we can pay in reais, they have a deal with GlobalCollect

Still the game is overpriced for S.A., this is a fact because we can compare it to other games, and if you take into account people here are not as rich as in EU /N.A., it's even more overpriced.

So, buying 2 months for 33.50 is a nice deal!? Well, it could be worst, but just because something could be worst it's no reason to not complain about it being bad. If you research some history, you will see that people who complained or made rebellions didn't care about "it could be worst".

Also nice self sabotage by being xenophobic to your own country and people. :eek:

Agreed. Most regions pay based on our exchange rates at the time. And also in regards to the original posters the Cantina Tour is based in US only. Yet thousands of people from all over the world find the time and money to come see it. And it would probably cost too much to convert it to Portuguese, based on the fact that then other Nationalities would go "why isnt my language in there?" And would cost them more money than they bring in to convert them to the languages demanded.

And it would probably cost too much to convert it to Portuguese, based on the fact that then other Nationalities would go "why isnt my language in there?" And would cost them more money than they bring in to convert them to the languages demanded.

You can't win money without investing, Brazil is full of people eager to live more star wars in many ways. This game would be a good option.

But i guess making deals for cheaper sub through negotiation of taxes or convertion rate mechanics etc... Investing that is, while getting some marketing done (maybe give discounts/bonus to people who promote the game in their communities?) would gain them tons of players.

Edited by James_Mcturney

Wait, you're paying the old prices, as listed on the game's page? Because I'm pretty sure my credit card charges US$ 14,99 per month, at whatever rate of dollar to real it is on that day. Edited by Dbohrius

Ok, translations into other languages I can see a need for, if there was sufficient players from that region to justify the expense.

However, asking a company to give you a discount on their, far from essential, service because you can't afford it. That seems a bit off to me.

I just wish the price in my local coin as the same way WoW does (15,00 BRL). Because US$ 15,00 costs me at the end 30,00 BRL, that's the point.

Also, the translation of subtitles, menu's and else to portuguese.

They need, of course, to do a research if all this would be financially viable. Eventually, if not, that's fine... patience, but I would like to see the numbers of this possible research about the subject above.

I just wish the price in my local coin as the same way WoW does (15,00 BRL). Because US$ 15,00 costs me at the end 30,00 BRL, that's the point.

They need, of course, to do a research if all this would be financially viable. Eventually, if not, that's fine... patience, but I would like to see the numbers of this possible research about the subject above.

Nope, it cost us near 46 R$ plus importantion taxes, probably 50 R$ if you pay with the card.

Also yes, every country that has a good player base + financial difficulties when talking $$ (dollars) should have some attenuating mechanism... thats what a smart global company does to increase sells in times of hard economy.

Edited by James_Mcturney

Also yes, every country that has a good player base + financial difficulties when talking $$ (dollars) should have some attenuating mechanism... thats what a smart global company does to increase sells in times of hard economy.

It's also how they lose money. People use VPN's to buy cheap sub's in bulk and sell them on via third-party sites.

• 5 months later...
It's also how they lose money. People use VPN's to buy cheap sub's in bulk and sell them on via third-party sites.

hmm ppl wouldn't do that if it was cheap, therefore hard to profit with?

Another thing, sometimes i may run out of leisure money because of girlfriend or something, therefore i won't sub and i refuse to play preferred; therefore, if bioware/EA made this game subscription price more viable (even for a bit) for brazilians, they would keep more players for more time; losing a good player can have a cascate effect as its friends may leave the game as well.

Mathematically/hypothetically speaking: if sub time was 50% cheaper (33 R$ for 2 months, which is equivalent to the money i spend eating (i cook for myself, only a few meat options) in a week), i would be able to buy 4 months and play those 4 months, but since i can only buy 1 month with it, i will only play 1 month. So, it will be 3 months that my friends will lack my presence in completing Operations / Pvping /hanging out*... This can have very negative results in a larger scale and WILL reduce the playerbase.

*And i'm #worthTt btw :cool:

Edited by James_Mcturney

If the conversation I just check is right. I seriously don't think what you are asking for is practical. 15 BRL is 3.78 USB. Without knowing the figures they might actually lose money on that end of the deal. Bioware has to pay bills in it's local currency which is what they use to set the price of subscriptions. For your idea to even come close to be practical. It would have to generate 5x the subscriptions while not increasing server or bandwidth load.

If the conversation I just check is right. I seriously don't think what you are asking for is practical. 15 BRL is 3.78 USB. Without knowing the figures they might actually lose money on that end of the deal. Bioware has to pay bills in it's local currency which is what they use to set the price of subscriptions. For your idea to even come close to be practical. It would have to generate 5x the subscriptions while not increasing server or bandwidth load.

Well, Blizzard makes it work somehow. Ofc they would initially lose money but a large increase in playerbase on the longrun is always profitable.