Double XP is ruining the game -- please stop it

Bjond-Sain

Rather dramatic tittle, but that's actually what's happening for me. All my characters are too high level to get XP on the planets for their class stories. Entire planets that I've never visited will be incredibly dull. The greatest risk of death comes from falling off a world boss or attacking a cliff -- sooo thrilling watching Treek solo an HM4 I'll never have the chance to do as a challenge. ><

I realize that long-time players might not want to re-experience low level play yet again, but this is the first time through for me and regular XP alone is already too high. This is why I think the game badly needs a way to seriously curb XP, but not necessarily for everyone.

There are many ways to do this: zero bonus (not even rested) by default with options to enable things, free bonus XP items for logging in during that week instead of a flat boost for everyone, either self-imposed or automatic level scaling of the player while in each area (similar to KDY), etc. etc.. There are many simple ways you can permit old bored players to skip content while also not destroying it for new players.

And, if rational arguments don't convince, there's always monetary: destroy too much content and I'll cancel my sub. There's likely no immediate danger there from me -- I'd have just canceled instead of posting if there was -- but I am already avoiding open-world play because it's so dull. Yeah, that makes it worse by leveling my chars even deeper into the trivial grey area, but I'd rather do just about anything than a grey world. Not good. World story-lines are Bioware's strength and y'all are killing it. ><

Thank you for your opinion. I disagree. I have a lot of alts, enjoy playing all of them and double xp is immensely helpful for me, and has a significant positive impact on my enjoyment of the game. I'm sorry it upsets you.

Cheers.

On edit: If you want a challenge I suggest soloing a 2 man heroic, or doing quests at or a level/two at the most above yours.

Edited by Narasil

If you don't like it Don't use it... I used the 12 times xp and completed a total of 14 characters giving me a total of 18. I was tired of the grind. I powered the others to 55. I was Glad I was done with those slow grinds. I leveled 4 characters the hard way. I'm guessing your going to say people don't know how to play. They will learn just by doing the dailies.

Honestly, you're entitled to your opinion and I don't mean to be rude, but if they stop doing double XP altogether they are going to piss a *lot* more people off, than are currently pissed off *because* of double XP.

There are tons of ways you can avoid double XP if you personally don't want it. It's only a couple of days every month or two (this full week coming up is certainly an anomaly). You could hang out with IRL friends and simply not play during those times. You could do dailies, WZs, FPs or ops on a max-level character who is unaffected by the double XP (you might not have any of those yet, but you should very soon, if you're actively complaining about how fast getting XP is). You could quickly level a main just to have it when it *is* double XP (since having a 60 is important just for making credits, if nothing else), and then level an alt of the same class when it's *not* double XP if you want to go back and see the story. You can dedicate time to leveling professions and RE'ing for blue/purple schematics during double XP, so you're still playing but not actually getting any XP.

Also, if you're soloing HM4s with Treek, I assume you're familiar with keeping her mods up-to-date, and you probably have a fair number of orange pieces yourself which you are also keeping up to date. If you want more of a challenge leveling, try using nothing but the green gear you get as quest rewards.

I don't mean to undermine your opinion and all, and it *would* be nice if the game had an option to disable XP gain for multiple reasons... I'm just saying that, since they're not likely to implement that sort of option anytime soon, in the meantime it's not really fair for the vocal minority to try and take double XP away from the many people who do want it, when you have multiple options for not partaking in it while we really don't have a way to simulate double XP when they *don't* give it to us (Hell, I'd be happy if they just gave us a more expensive 2x XP coupon in the Cartel Market; a piddly 25% just doesn't compare!).

"I'm going to claim that I play for the stories but unless I get XP for them they're a waste of time."

That's pretty much what I got from this.....

Some people consider the difficulty part of the story, to varying degrees. I'm one of them on the lesser end. It doesn't bother me in TOR though to have things be rollover easy.

Thank you for your opinion. I disagree. I have a lot of alts, enjoy playing all of them and double xp is immensely helpful for me, and has a significant positive impact on my enjoyment of the game. I'm sorry it upsets you.

Cheers.

On edit: If you want a challenge I suggest soloing a 2 man heroic, or doing quests at or a level/two at the most above yours.

Heh, I'll all for you and anyone else who wants it getting their 2x XP, 12x XP, or instant-60 if that's what they want. I just don't want it FORCED on me. Give everyone little bonus 2x buff items to click instead of a global forced bonus. Let people choose. I might even want it myself after I have a full set of 60s.

BTW, your suggestion about Heroic Missions is a good one, but, uh, I've already solo'd every HM2 and HM4 in the game up to ~L34 on every class, though some of the recent ones were "grey" and thus rather unsatisfying. I avoid guilds to dodge the 10% XP bonus and probably should also avoid the rest bonus, but it's just so damn convenient to keep my chars logged out in the stronghold.

Heh, I'll all for you and anyone else who wants it getting their 2x XP, 12x XP, or instant-60 if that's what they want. I just don't want it FORCED on me. Give everyone little bonus 2x buff items to click instead of a global forced bonus. Let people choose. I might even want it myself after I have a full set of 60s.

BTW, your suggestion about Heroic Missions is a good one, but, uh, I've already solo'd every HM2 and HM4 in the game up to ~L34 on every class, though some of the recent ones were "grey" and thus rather unsatisfying. I avoid guilds to dodge the 10% XP bonus and probably should also avoid the rest bonus, but it's just so damn convenient to keep my chars logged out in the stronghold.

I appreciate the fact that it CAN be easy to solo 4 man and 2 man heroics. However I absolutely guarantee you that if you go high enough in level you'll find a challenge in them :) After all, remember that you don't HAVE to have the quest for many of them, you just have to know where the heroic area is and what level it is. I quite often go to these areas without a quest to hone skills, RP, farm, and a host of other reasons (including xp :p) Hope that helps.

Edited by Narasil

Rested XP is disabled during double XP weekends, so if you are already used to playing with rested XP, the double XP weekends arent really changing much for you

You want to make the game harder? Fight with empty shells instead of gear with stats

OP...do you play with rested exp? If so there is littl difference. I just finished leveling my JK. With my other toons I was always careful to log out in rest areas. I saw NO difference. 12xp....now that is a different story....if you do more than just the class quests then yes you will find yourself over leveled quite easily.

The new announcement of an indefinite 12xp for class missions has just caused me to unsub. Sick of being ignored.

If they never added it in I'd feel ignored. I'm glad they listened and that reason has prevailed. Sucks that you're on the other side of the fence.