Unreal, this game has the most content MMO wise right now.

Killance

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newsflash. This isn't a true MMORPG either.

I would ENTIRELY agree with you at launch though. It has housing, far more instances... the only difference I see from this and the other MMORPG I play, Rift, and the last one I played in a dedicated fashion, EQ2, is that it doesn't have a game wide LFG tool and EQ2 had NO such tool when I left (that is probably my least favorite "innovation" from WoW, I think it takes the community out of an MMORPG.) On top of it, at least for the first 50 levels, you have a class specific storyline...so it is arguably an MMORPG with something "extra" even if the extra doesn't go all the way to end game.

If you would care to tell me what it lacks I would be interested to hear it.

Edited by Ghisallo

Marvel heroes is indeed doing quite well. But the game itself has far fewer creative challenges. They are releasing a new hero every few months with new features and content to go with.

If I remember correctly, WoW had a very low content output during the year prior to the launch of the most recent expansion. It seems like the new Garrison feature was a big hit but everything else is rather old. Personally I think the issues WoW and other MMOs like are facing is by and large due to WoW's own success.

WoW has always taken new concepts and features from other games and added its own version. With fewer and fewer companies producing new games with fresh ideas, and the companies in the market looking to the market leader, Blizzard for inspiration, we've got a circle effect of MMOs trying to copy each other.

Personally I think Bioware should look towards their own titles in the RPG genre. Dragon Age Inquisition's agent system could be applied to SWTOR, with several changes and improvements.

Well if your dream content is content you can kill using only no energy/force basic attacks to defeat

or even go afk while the NPCs fight the boss for you and all you need to do is run a few globes here and there

Then yeah I guess you would like SW:TOR PVE

Personally I want better, bigger, more challengeing

Im all for solo content but jesus, make me work a little to defeat the content

Make me think even occasionally

As it stands I can do ever fight on Yavin (Speaking the weeklies other then Walker) on my commando by using ONLY hammer shot attack, nothing else

IMO Thats NOT content

Thats actually rather insulting

Sorry, not all of us want "bigger, more challenging". I play video games to relax. It's interactive digital entertainment. If I wanted a challenge from a computer, I'd be playing chess against Deep Blue.

Yes it does have a lot of content and is a great game. Of course there are always going to be things people don't like and don't find a challenge and always want more and more. Can't please everybody though. Even though there are those that are very critical of the game recently, they are still here on the forums which means I would think they are still playing the game. They are probably hoping something happens that renews more interest.

I feel as though when a person is highly critical of something it shows from the outside that the person doesn't really like it. Sometimes that is true and for whatever reason they are still here. However, in certain circumstances they are being critical of that "something" because they see potential in it and are frustrated by the fact they want stuff to happen but it's not happening to the way they want it. It all comes across the wrong way though with people being too critical. I personally tend to view highly critical people defensively and think they should use their energy of the critiquing and put it to positive use instead of negative use. See passed "what you want" and take the thing for what it is.

A lot of the time it's misunderstanding and frustration but I do agree with the statements sometimes that tell the person if they don't like something then why do they continuously go back to it? That's getting into a whole different thing though which I don't want to type a wall of text on people's behavior antics and psychological profiles. So I'll leave it at that :p

Yes, SWTOR has a lot of content to keep you busy for a long time. Especially if you don't rush and especially if you are a new player. It could do with more and I believe they could scale some ops up to 60 but I'm not the one in charge of doing that so I don't let that bother me. I take the game for what it is and so should you. More stuff will come in time. See through the frustrations and critiques and just enjoy yourself! We are all here together obviously because we like the game :)

Sorry, not all of us want "bigger, more challenging". I play video games to relax. It's interactive digital entertainment. If I wanted a challenge from a computer, I'd be playing chess against Deep Blue.

There should always be a choice between the two. Content enough to satisfy the more hardcore players while having casual content for people who wanna relax.

Edited by Killance

There should always be a choice between the two. Content enough to satisfy the more hardcore players while having casual content for people who wanna relax.

That is a difficult balancing act...

FWIW: I am in Kalfear's court... I want the bigger/badder/more challenging content. I was a bit let down when I completed SoR... Revan requires almost no interaction from the player (save the orb phase), if it weren't for that ... you wouldn't have to do anything. I do like the challenge of the new ops... not sure if I am challenged by the mechanics, or the broken mechanics tbh.

Heck, while the orbs were broken it required 0 interaction. Just dies twice revive and go make a sammich, come back and turn in the mission...

Same thing can be said about Jesus-Bot.

I absolutely despise Tactical Flashpoints.

That all being said, I do see the need for both the easy... relaxing play and challenges to be overcome... people relax in different ways I suppose. Yet... the wide variety of tastes are very difficult to develop for... this game I do not believe has done it successfully.

Edited by Drockter

WoW is having a serious drought in content.

Rift's Nightmare tide just sucked.

Tera's expansion takes 3 weeks to get 5 levels with lack of raids/world content.

Maplestory and Runescape are just too old.

SWTOR and Final Fantasy 14 ARR have the most content and for that I tip my hat off to these two. Well done and continue reviving the games that USE to be dead!

Most content, or most broken content?

Say whatever you want, but there's a reality you'll be forced to contend with.

Reality is, we have crap for content right now. Nothing is rewarding, or challenging, for PvE except the 2 new Ops, which can be run in 60 min on Tuesday night.

For PvP, balance has never been so jacked up and we haven't seen a new game type in 2-1/2 years.

Reality sucks.

Why are you here again? There are plenty of other games that will fulfil your wishlist without having to bring your special kinda of apathy to the rest of us.

Personally I find playing the game itself reward enough as I am having fun doing it.

If you are playing this game so much and think how you seem to imply you think from your post in terms of this game then I think I you've got some real life issues to deal with if you actually want to punish yourself so much playing this game.

Marvel heroes is indeed doing quite well. But the game itself has far fewer creative challenges. They are releasing a new hero every few months with new features and content to go with.

If I remember correctly, WoW had a very low content output during the year prior to the launch of the most recent expansion. It seems like the new Garrison feature was a big hit but everything else is rather old. Personally I think the issues WoW and other MMOs like are facing is by and large due to WoW's own success.

WoW has always taken new concepts and features from other games and added its own version. With fewer and fewer companies producing new games with fresh ideas, and the companies in the market looking to the market leader, Blizzard for inspiration, we've got a circle effect of MMOs trying to copy each other.

Personally I think Bioware should look towards their own titles in the RPG genre. Dragon Age Inquisition's agent system could be applied to SWTOR, with several changes and improvements.

Balancing over 45 heroes isn't easy, but they're doing it. And I compared the two because they're both F2P, even though swtor is only barely F2P.

LMAO, you make unsubstantiated statements about teh game based ONLY on your opinion (a clearly uneducated one in terms of MMORPG genre btw) and then bad mouth others for countering your un-factual opinion statements with actual FACTS??

WOW kid, you really need to get over yourself

Here is a bit of truth for you, the MMORPG genre in genre right now is considered at its LOWEST point in genre history because of the uninspired crap being pushed out in all MMORPG games (including SW:TOR). The ganre is hurting and does NOT have a good feeling around it and much of that has to do with companies putting out the very content you claim to be so great.

Given you devoted a significant portion of your post to (ostensibly) delineating between 'fact' and 'opinion', the way you try to pass off a purely subjective claim about the genre being at its 'lowest point' as being 'truth' is... interesting (all the more so because you start off the post talking about 'unsubstantiated' claims).

(I'm actually assuming that when you talk about a 'lowest point' you're talking about game quality, because if you meant 'lowest point' in terms of revenue then even though you would actually be making an objective claim that claim would be false. In neither case are you providing 'a bit of truth'.)

You are certainly entitled to your opinion of what makes a quality MMO, but just as valid are the opinions of those of us who vastly, vastly prefer the current state of MMOs to the 'hand draw your own maps, no such thing as group finder' days of yore, or who prefer narrative-driven MMOs to sandbox MMOs. The current state of MMORPGs is pretty darn good for a lot of us.

FACT: Yavin and Rishii are about 1/4th the size they should have been and thus create bottlenecks and anti social behaviour that ruins the experience for a great many people

Side note: That's actually a normative statement, not a fact.

FACT: SoR advertised new storylines for each class and while TECHNICALLY thats correct, it was intentionally misleading because what people got was a 1 off 10 minute single quest on Rishii. Hardly what was suggested or implied

Side note #2: Huh? From the very beginning they were clear it was going to be a single mission:

Additionally, each player class will be given one unique Class Story Mission as part of the storyline; these are entirely different from one another.

As many of you know, in SoR there is a Mission you receive which is a unique Classs mission, meaning there is one for each Class. What I wanted to let you know is that in order to go on this Mission, you must have completed Act 3 on that character. That unique Mission is a continuation from Act 3, so you must have progressed your story to that point.

Note that this Class Mission is separate from the "critical path" of Shadow of Revan, so if you don't want to do this Class Mission, you can still progress through the expansion storyline. Although, it is of course highly recommended that you play through that Class Mission as well :rak_03:

Given you devoted a significant portion of your post to (ostensibly) delineating between 'fact' and 'opinion', the way you try to pass off a purely subjective claim about the genre being at its 'lowest point' as being 'truth' is... interesting (all the more so because you start off the post talking about 'unsubstantiated' claims).

(I'm actually assuming that when you talk about a 'lowest point' you're talking about game quality, because if you meant 'lowest point' in terms of revenue then even though you would actually be making an objective claim that claim would be false. In neither case are you providing 'a bit of truth'.)

You are certainly entitled to your opinion of what makes a quality MMO, but just as valid are the opinions of those of us who vastly, vastly prefer the current state of MMOs to the 'hand draw your own maps, no such thing as group finder' days of yore, or who prefer narrative-driven MMOs to sandbox MMOs. The current state of MMORPGs is pretty darn good for a lot of us.

Side note: That's actually a normative statement, not a fact.

Side note #2: Huh? From the very beginning they were clear it was going to be a single mission:

Goodness logic.. How refreshing. The thing is there is A LOT of projection and failing to take things in their full context going on around here. People saw "story" and assumed it meant class story. They projected their definition of a word onto a single comment, said "yay!!!!" And stopped reading then get bent when what they expected didn't happen. Rather than going back and rereading the whole thing it must be Bioware lying or engaging in hyperbole, not that they applied a false definition to a statement taken out of context.

Then you have people placing personal value judgments and treating it as fact (the normative statement you pointed out.)

I am assuming they don't teach the differences between subjective opinion and values, objective facts and the use of critical thinking in framing the former and evaluating the later in schools these days.

Edited by Ghisallo

I am enjoying it. SOR I have completed with 18 chrs , Oricon 4, and Makeboring 1. It is rewarding to me because I am having fun. Oh well. Does it have some issues. Sure. I don't know of any game that doesn't. Ok maybe Pong. I really like the content. I took a short break which helped. I was a bit burnt out. Sometimes that is what you need to do. It wasn't because of SOR it was because I been at it a long time. You can take Wow,ME3,DA2, and Diablo3 and I have played SOR more since I have been back that those combined together. It is about the fun factor.

I hope BW doesn't use this logic to justify future content and Rishi and Yavin as an obvious "success." The fact is, you HAVE to run your characters through the story to access Yavin as a daily area, and, generally, for materials and other endgame needs.

I liked Makeb a lot, though the Empire story was a little better, and probably ran 2 characters thorough it on each side. The rest I ended up leveling with dailies, because it saved on upgrade costs. For SoR, I've run just about all characters through it now, but thought that Makeb was a much better expansion planet, with way more quests, areas to explore, and visually the most stunning zone in the game.

Basically, SoR is set up so you have to play through it to get the most out of endgame, including accessing the Operation entrances if I'm not mistaken. If BW ends up stating this is proof players liked the no-faction story approach with tiny planets that offered the easiest leveling since the starting zones, it's certainly not a good metric to go by, in my opinion.

Edited by arunav

On topic, though, it does have a lot of content, but unfortunately, "endgame" doesn't include almost all of it at the moment.

I don't think it would be unwelcome by most to upgrade older content to level cap. Currently, for PVE there are 2 Operations, and 6 HM FPs, 1 of which almost everyone drops in groupfinder (Blood Hunt). There is great level 50 content, especially the FPs, that go unused - barely anyone does the HM versions while leveling, and sometimes even SM is hard to get a group for. I would really enjoy doing these FPs at 60, as well as the older Operations that weren't in the level 55 cycle.

The game had more to do at endgame in early 2012, and that was when even the developers acknowledged the lack of endgame content was a problem. There were more HM FPs, varying by faction, and 1.2 brought in a 3rd Operation. In addition, PvP was still exciting and new, and the Denova map was added in 1.2 as well. That aspect of the game is really hurting - it's kind of sad that only 2 WZs have been added since, one of which is another Huttball, and the map before that arriving in Dec 2012.

It's my opinion this isn't ever really going to turn around, and we'll slowly see less and less new content made. 2014 was slow on playable updates, and the release schedule for 2015 is even slower. I don't see how anyone can claim there's a lot to do in SWTOR right now at level cap, unless they are a new player. If that is the case, the main game is 1-50, and, yes, there are a ton of great quests and storylines to play through there.

Edited by arunav

Basically, SoR is set up so you have to play through it to get the most out of endgame, including accessing the Operation entrances if I'm not mistaken. If BW ends up stating this is proof players liked the no-faction story approach with tiny planets that offered the easiest leveling since the starting zones, it's certainly not a good metric to go by, in my opinion.

You don't have to do any of the SOR to access the OPs. I only did it one level 60 character. My others haven't even started the quest line and have gone through ToS and Ravagers. The only lame thing is you can't use the quick travel terminals to get there. You have to either fly your ship manually or get a guild summons. Not a big deal to me and it will be even better when the cool down for personal ship warp is reduced to 0 in the next patch.

Edited by Papazmurf

Except that blog is complete BS. An oppinion is a judgement not necessarily based on fact.

Often formed based ON reactions.

"There were too many lense flares." is exactly that.

Seriously.

I tried to give that article the benefit of the doubt - that maybe he was genuinely drawing some meaningful distinction and had just adopted those words in a new way to categorize the ideas - but by the time I got to the line: "You’re expressing your reaction when you say “I don’t like the lens flares.” You’re expressing your opinion when you say “there were too many lens flares.”" it seemed pretty clear that the author was just talking out of his... posterior.

Why are you here again? There are plenty of other games that will fulfil your wishlist without having to bring your special kinda of apathy to the rest of us.

Personally I find playing the game itself reward enough as I am having fun doing it.

If you are playing this game so much and think how you seem to imply you think from your post in terms of this game then I think I you've got some real life issues to deal with if you actually want to punish yourself so much playing this game.

What do you think my "wishlist" consists of?

I play the game because:

1) Star Wars

2) people I play with

3) I enjoy it

Good for you. I'm not so blindly addicted to the game though, so I'm able to remain objective.

Huh? Are you seriously saying I have real life issues because I can be critical of the game?! Or you think I punish myself by playing it? What the flock?! I don't understand your last part at all...

What do you think my "wishlist" consists of?

I play the game because:

1) Star Wars

2) people I play with

3) I enjoy it

Good for you. I'm not so blindly addicted to the game though, so I'm able to remain objective.

Huh? Are you seriously saying I have real life issues because I can be critical of the game?! Or you think I punish myself by playing it? What the flock?! I don't understand your last part at all...

You hardly come across as objective. It's not that you can be critical it's that you almost always are critical.

All you seem to do is whinge and complain almost all of the time I read posts by you and the post I quoted just really makes me wonder why you bother playing something that must be so painful for you to play that it causes you to make a statement of "reality sucks". Thus the real life problem comment, those with real life issues often cause themselves harm on purpose.

You hardly come across as objective. It's not that you can be critical it's that you almost always are critical.

All you seem to do is whinge and complain almost all of the time I read posts by you and the post I quoted just really makes me wonder why you bother playing something that must be so painful for you to play that it causes you to make a statement of "reality sucks". Thus the real life problem comment, those with real life issues often cause themselves harm on purpose.

Why speculate over someone's real life? Issues or no, you have no right to say what they are or aren't when it comes to their personal life. You just look like a jerk when commenting on things like that.