The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

beginning to see why people buy credits

i just spent 90 dollars to buy two hypercrates specifically because i wanted the jet pack. i couldn't care less about anything else in the pack, that was the sole and only item i wanted. i did not get one. 90 bucks shot to ****. the next time i want an item, i am not buying a hypercrate, i'm not buying a single crate, i'll be buying it off the gtn, and i won't say where the credits will have come from, because i don't want to incriminate myself, but i can tell you this, bioware will never be getting another dollar of my money for hypercrates full of useless garbage.

is this sour grapes? am i just venting because i'm disappointed? yes....but its still true

I'm not an expert on the whole Pack stuff as I never buy them, but I think the idea is that you can sell whatever you did get on the GTN to get the credits for buying a jetpack.

No idea if that's feasible, though, as I'm unfamiliar with how expensive the stuff you get in these Packs are.

buy hypercrates for CC sell hypercrates for credits, buy item with credits.

/thread

if you want something specific and are willing to wait, selling the crates is your best bet. If you want something day one and not willing to wait, take your chances with crates/packs. Its been pretty common knowledge the entire time.

1 crate sells for about 6-8 million depending on server and demand. the jet pack will probably be between 2-5 million opening day. You could sell one crate and buy 2 or 3 jetpacks potentially.

Open packs because you enjoy opening them and/or like to collect items. otherwise, just sell them for a quick turn around.

i did not get the only two items in this crate worth selling, the voranticus mount and the jetpack, the rest of it is garbage no one wants

Well, I'll take the B-100, Revanite, and Powered Exoguard sets, then. Tell me where and when and I'll take them off your hands for you.

Yes, you are exactly right. People buy credits because they are lazy, selfish, greedy, and spoiled. The idea of not instantly getting what they want is so anathema to them they are willing to risk their financial security and safety in exchange for theoretical instant gratification. If you lack the common sense and maturity to deal with disappointment for not getting the virtual items that you want, then yes, obviously handing over your credit card and personal information to illegal sweatshops in third-world countries is clearly the right answer.

I didn't get a jetpack either, by the way. I did, however, have lots of fun with my guildies opening the crates and setting aside stuff to give away to other people. That's why I buy packs. Your mileage (clearly) may vary.

Your first mistake was buying the packs expecting that one item. You second mistake was not selling the Hypercrates. Your third mistake was coming here looking for pity and/or someone to come along and tell you that they will change how the packs work. Good day.

While I do agree the OP should just sell the packs outright, I for one think it's like Bioware's Creative team is like Hey lets make two cool things and put em in this pack and then lets come up with the most stupid looking stuff to pad out the pack to make the consumers wasted hundreds upon hundreds Dollars trying to get it. That is kind of a Hyperbole, but still feels that way. Yes, I also understand they make most of their money from Cartel Coin sales that way and it's probably the point, but still.

i just spent 90 dollars to buy two hypercrates specifically because i wanted the jet pack. i couldn't care less about anything else in the pack, that was the sole and only item i wanted. i did not get one. 90 bucks shot to ****. the next time i want an item, i am not buying a hypercrate, i'm not buying a single crate, i'll be buying it off the gtn, and i won't say where the credits will have come from, because i don't want to incriminate myself, but i can tell you this, bioware will never be getting another dollar of my money for hypercrates full of useless garbage.

is this sour grapes? am i just venting because i'm disappointed? yes....but its still true

The sensible thing to do is to not let that 90 bucks go to waste, even though you were aware of the risks of spending that much real cash on an item lottery.

Sell whatever you got in these hypercrates on the GTN for legit credits and then buy a jetpack that someone will inevitably put on the GTN with those credits. You will likely get more than enough credits that way if you sell your stuff at a decent price. If what you want to sell is super low on the GTN because tons of people are trying to sell the same thing and undercutting eachother, don't lose your money on that. Hold onto the items and wait for the market to clear or the prices to get higher.

If you play your cards right, you will be space-rich in a matter of weeks, and there is much less risk involved on the GTN than in a hypercrate purchase.

Hypercrates are like slot machines or lottery tickets, they are exciting and always a surprise, but you're doing it wrong if you start thinking you can to "win" anything from them.

Hypercrates only offer a guaranteed value when you do NOT open them and instead sell them on the GTN to people willing to pay [a lot of] credits for a thrilling but uncertain surprise.

I'm in full agreement I spent 40 and then 20 and never received a jetpack/ I may end up just giving up on cartel packs, seems randomly I get F**ked over and end up with S#$T items

It's a lottery. Do you get frustrated like that each time you buy a lottery ticket and don't win anything? At least the packs always give you something, even if it's not what you wanted. Good news: it's likely that someone else will want what you got, so you can sell to them to make up for at least part of your "loss".

If cartel packs offered a guarantee, you'd have a good reason to be pissed. However, you got exactly what was advertised : a chance-based roll.

Anything that involves risk should never be taken for granted.

Failure to understand this is one of the reasons why people develop gambling problems.

I'm in full agreement I spent 40 and then 20 and never received a jetpack/ I may end up just giving up on cartel packs, seems randomly I get F**ked over and end up with S#$T items

I gave up on them when the Thana set came out. It's the worst thing in any Store in any game.

Buying credits 'out of game' is fraught with danger - A guild mate in another game tried this route- and the gold sellers got hold of all his personal data , Credit cards, bank details, social media passwords, e-bay account, everything. - He had to start over with a clean computer and lost a lot of money- and his credit rating with the banks tanked. - He spent Several days spent getting his life back on track and many sleepless weeks stressing. In the end the MMO company discovered his out-of-game purchase and perma- banned him.

Easier to team up with someone and grind dailies, do some crafting, or sell the contents of the hypercrates. It's legitimate and a lot less dangerous TBH.

Buying (or more specifically buying and opening) packs for the purpose of getting a particular item is foolish, as you, OP, discovered. Using BC prices, you could have purchased (at a very rough estimate) 30 packs, resold them and bought the jet pack with the creds.