Guide on positioning and AoE attacks

Hi everyone,

I wrote a guide on how positioning works in SWTOR and which kind of AoE effects there are, specifically when it comes to 3D. If you are interested in game mechanics or just want to know more about the game, feel free to read it. :)

You can find it on Dulfy here: http://dulfy.net/2015/03/17/positioning-aoe-attacks/

Let me know if you have any questions about it!

Awesome guide! Never knew about the AOE and Max range difference mostly because I play meele.

I do have one question: How do they calculate Carbine burst and its conal? It seems like no matter how close I am it seems like a crap shoot every time whether I hit something lol.

Edited by FerkWork

Most of the combat articles have always been about crunching numbers and getting the best out of your characters via gears, but this is not. This is one of the examples that you can improve your play without actually improving your characters.

Great read, very informative and new things have been learnt. Thank you Theho for sharing this with us.

Edited by Loufu

I do have one question: How do they calculate Carbine burst and its conal? It seems like no matter how close I am it seems like a crap shoot every time whether I hit something lol.

I know that feeling. Whenever I hit Blaster Volley (the Smuggler equivalent) while moving, it won't hit any mobs. I believe that when you hit the ability while moving, it will fire off in the wrong direction, even when you hold the right mouse button to point toward the mobs. Therefore, I now always stand still when hitting Blaster Volley, that way it is guaranteed that you hit the mobs.

Most of the combat articles have always been about crunching numbers and getting the best out of your characters via gears, but this is not. This is one of the examples that you can improve your play without actually improving your characters.

So true. Most players don't look at the fights with such a close detail but they are just as important as having the right gear. You can definitely kill the bosses without it but then you will always have the situations where the boss does something strange and wipes you because you don't know what went wrong.

Edited by Jerba

I know that feeling. Whenever I hit Blaster Volley (the Smuggler equivalent) while moving, it won't hit any mobs. I believe that when you hit the ability while moving, it will fire off in the wrong direction, even when you hold the right mouse button to point toward the mobs. Therefore, I now always stand still when hitting Blaster Volley, that way it is guaranteed that you hits the mobs.

So true. Most players don't look at the fights with such a close detail but they are just as important as having the right gear. You can definitely kill the bosses without it but then you will always have the situations where the boss does something strange and wipes you because you don't know what went wrong.

The problem comes with what direction you're facing. If you turn/strafe at all, your character is no longer pointing in the same direction as your camera. It's a unique problem for scoundrel/operative (although to a lesser extent with overload on inquisitors/consulars) since you're really the only mobile cone.

How does TOR work for conal AoE channels, specifically of the pulse cannon/flamethrower variety? Does it create a at the tick cone and take a snapshot of where it is (meaning between ticks it can be repositioned), or does it fix the position at the initial channel. Just interested as I've not played the pt/mando much at all

How does TOR work for conal AoE channels, specifically of the pulse cannon/flamethrower variety? Does it create a at the tick cone and take a snapshot of where it is (meaning between ticks it can be repositioned), or does it fix the position at the initial channel. Just interested as I've not played the pt/mando much at all

Damage is calculated at the tick. So you can turn the cone to follow a moving target and still hit it. Flamethrower has a very slight delay from the 'travel time' of the flame but it's minimal.

Edited by Izisvi

Great guide.

I put this on our guild website for people to peruse. I always assumed people knew this... wrong. :)

This is excellent for people not in the know, or for some new to the game.

Edited by Pirana

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.