How hard is it to pvp? Any tips for a new player?

FreyaParker

I am completely new to pvp - it's basically a challenge - and I hope someone could give me some basic pointers about getting started. Please understand that I am not new to the game, as I have been playing a sage for a long time, but only for PVE :o

I have tried to read some of the sticky threads, but there is just so much information :confused:. How exactly do expertise work?

I am starting a new character and on a new server (pvp tomb of freedon nadd). My brother has advised me to try an Operative (never been empire before, should also be interesting).

I'm At work and don't have time to give you a detailed answer but I'm sure others will. I suggest checking out a thread in the pvp section called a pvp a day by Domisoto. It's a very long thread but has some excellent tips and suggestion.

In my opinion, playing a concealment operative for PvP is REALLY hard until you reach level 51. They are just too easy to kite before then with the rampant slows everywhere and you may struggle to put up any above average numbers while level 30-50. Exfiltrate solves this problem. And even then, your very best attacking move is given at 57.

Just mentioning it so you don't feel like you wasted your time leveling the op while low level. They only get really good when reaching 60, so you have to stick with it.

As for tips, honestly just play a lot of PvP between 15-29 so you get the hang of it. You should try PvPing with your sage, they are a really good class for PvP.

As for expertise bolster, there are a lot of topics going in depth about it, but what's really important is to have all your slots filled with an item (including relics, implants, etc) and to use gear up to level 162 for best results once you reach 60.

Do you have a brain? if yes then you are already ahead of atleast 80% of the player pool that is in this game.

Are you willing to learn? if yes then you are even further ahead than most everyone else

Are you a programmed machine that can only preform certain routines? if No then you are going to rule pvp in this game

Though you may think its a joke what i just wrote is honestly a serious thing about how it is to PVP in this game. Alot of players will only in PVP to do RDM(random death match) with the people that they are in que with, they dont care about how they do in the match, just that they kill someone. Is someone taking an objective away from you? Doesnt matter there is someone closer that i can hit, that is how alot of players play the game. Many also dont take the time to learn the other classes around them or even their own class, going in with the same rotation for EVERY situation, there is no finesse with alot of these player and if you bring just a little of that finesse then you are a cheater

-edit-

i just noticed you mentioned youre making an operative for pvp, and all i can say is it is very hit or miss for many people, youll have to be willing to go through a bit of struggle to make it work but if you can youll love it.

Also youre on ToFN? ill enjoy killing you at lvl 60 ;) and maybe in some lowbies as well:p

-edit #2-

go to the operative and soundrel forums, there you will find the most help, from the relatively small community, its ok we dont bite.... hard

Edited by Adovir

I am not familar with your choice of server as I play on PoT5, but PVP can be hell on the newly christianed. It literally is a trial by fire. Most servers tend to lean heavy in Imp, so you already have one strike against you if you go play Repub. on most servers. This is one of those things you try to feel out before dedicating time into a character you may find is difficult to play simply because of the player base on your server.

Two, low level pvp isn't as bad as mid level. But mid is likely to kick you in the teeth regardless. When you are in your low level 30s facing off against people in their 50s it is a very humbling experience. It was a bad bracket choice by BW and frankly we all have to live with it. But save up your comms in mid bracket so you can get your level 60 gear quicker.

Three, research classes. Playing an Operative is fine, but are you going DPS or healer route? Going healer means a slower level grind in PVE, but you tend to have more of a purpose in PVP. Going DPS on the other hand means your level grind will likely go quicker, but in PVP you are just another DPS in a field full of DPS.

Four, look at steath. Not all classes have it, but it is almost a requirement to have it in many PVP scenarios. Stealth players have more rolls to play than none stealth classes. This may not be something you consider immportant currently, but in PVP you need to consider it.

Five, ask people what they think about specific classes. Some are on the bottom of the PVP class of choice for a reason. Those classes are at the bottom usually because they lack a focus break. Playing one of these poor PVP classes will lead to quite a bit of frustration because you will be the first focused player and you will die quickly most times.

Six, don't do ranked until you have a full PVP set with augments. Go in early only angers your teammates.

Seven, learn your classes utilities. Some utilities (CC) you may never even use in PVE. This becomes a different game in PVP. You use all your CC or at least try to. And it becomes a game of experience then when to use it and when not too. You probably have never even noticed your resolve bar in PVE. But your life may depend on that little white bar more often than not in PVP.

I also wanted to mention that you can get away with clicking on PVE and moving with your keyboard, especially with a Sage since they are a turret, but to be successful in any way with an Operative you need to use your mouse for running and keybind everything

Just wanted to add on - just have fun.

I mean that in the way that this game is a lot more fun when you don't take it too seriously and can shrug off its problems (of which it has a lot). It's super easy to get down with the community mindset that everything is going to hell (especially on this forum).

Don't get too frustrated with your losses (you'll encounter a lot) and play what's fun, not what's powerful. What's powerful during the patch you start leveling a character may not be powerful when you hit endgame and start gearing up. So, if something is fun and enjoyable, stick with it and learn it to the best of your ability.

I can't offer you any specific advice for your class, just general advice...

• Relax!!! Don't panic, don't whirl your mouse, don't freak out - stay calm and just work through things logically

• Everyone started out where you are, don't get frustrated

• Everyone dies in PvP - it's the main objective - don't get frustrated

• Forget "rotations", it's all about improvisation

• Always call incoming...1 or 8, call it.

• Even if you're stunned, call incoming

• Even if someone is capping, call incoming

• Never forget to call incoming

• PvP is the most challenging and difficult content any game can offer

• PvP is the most fun type of content any game can offer. EVERY fight is unique!!!

• Have fun!

We've all had our rears handed to us, we've all kicked the **** outta someone else...be a good sport, win or lose, because the people you just fought, they're your PvP content.

Welcome to PvP :)

Edited by TUXs

I think everything that's been posted is good. But I'm going good to add my "5 first steps to.pvp", because I think it might be useful to start with the really basic basics for a brand new pvp person.

1. Learn that dieing is OK. In pve dying is bad. In pvp you will die. A lot. It's OK.

2. MOVE!!! In pve you can.often stand still and just do rotations. In pvp if you stand still you die. While dieing is ok, you don't want to if you can help.it. so move!

3. Key bind so that you can.move.

4 stick with the crowd. Accept that you don't really know what to do yet. Find someone that seems to have some idea. Follow them and help them do whatever they are doing. Expect don't follow a lone stealth.

5. Don't attack cc'd people unless you've already seen the cc broken by someone else.

There. That's probably not the best list. But if i had to pick 5 things i wish someone had told me when i started those would all.be on it. Oh, and 6. When you get your first huttball you are given a new general "throw huttball" ability.

There. That's probably not the best list. But if i had to pick 5 things i wish someone had told me when i started those would all.be on it. Oh, and 6. When you get your first huttball you are given a new general "throw huttball" ability.

It's an awesome list!!!

If you want to know how to bolster you can find out how on my YouTube channel below. You can find a thread on the subject here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=797369&highlight=bolstering.

I also do PvP tips on my videos. I'm definitely no pro and I am learning new things the more I play so the tips I am giving are good for ppl new to PvP.

The most important thing is to have fun with it. Don't become an elitist douchbag. Learn at your own pace. Watch videos on YouTube and you will pick up little things off there all the time. The thing is getting good at PvP does not happen overnight, so be patient and stick with it and as long as you keep learning then you will have plenty of lols along the way :)

It will take a while to contribute much with *any* class, because the number and nature of things you have to pay attention to is greater.

Learn the maps. Playing in the lowbie bracket gives you a good chance to understand the basic objectives, the terrain, and some basic strategies without people raging at you for stinking. You probably won't see more than rudimentary strategy, because coordination in this bracket is usually nonexistent. Learn to keep an eye on your minimap. Even if you are pretty bad in the actual fighting, being in the right place at the right time can help your team greatly (and is something that will only get more valuable as you become better).

Eventually you have to learn the wrinkles of your class and everyone else's class, but understanding the objectives is foundational.

Edited by flem

I suggest checking out a thread in the pvp section called a pvp a day by Domisoto. It's a very long thread but has some excellent tips and suggestion.

I have! I have read a lot of her journey and it's one of the reasons I am even going to try this.

but what's really important is to have all your slots filled with an item (including relics, implants, etc) and to use gear up to level 162 for best results once you reach 60.

Thank you, that is very specific. I will do that.

Do you have a brain? [Sadly not always, or so I have been told. :)]

Also youre on ToFN? ill enjoy killing you at lvl 60 ;) and maybe in some lowbies as well:p

go to the operative and soundrel forums, there you will find the most help, from the relatively small community, its ok we dont bite.... hard

I think I get the general gist of what you are saying. Oh and I will not be anywhere near level 60 on this character for a very long time hehe. But some day (I hope!).

Two, low level pvp isn't as bad as mid level. But mid is likely to kick you in the teeth regardless. When you are in your low level 30s facing off against people in their 50s it is a very humbling experience. It was a bad bracket choice by BW and frankly we all have to live with it. But save up your comms in mid bracket so you can get your level 60 gear quicker.

Three, research classes. Playing an Operative is fine, but are you going DPS or healer route? Going healer means a slower level grind in PVE, but you tend to have more of a purpose in PVP. Going DPS on the other hand means your level grind will likely go quicker, but in PVP you are just another DPS in a field full of DPS.

Four, look at steath. Not all classes have it, but it is almost a requirement to have it in many PVP scenarios. Stealth players have more rolls to play than none stealth classes. This may not be something you consider immportant currently, but in PVP you need to consider it.

Five, ask people what they think about specific classes. Some are on the bottom of the PVP class of choice for a reason. Those classes are at the bottom usually because they lack a focus break. Playing one of these poor PVP classes will lead to quite a bit of frustration because you will be the first focused player and you will die quickly most times.

Six, don't do ranked until you have a full PVP set with augments. Go in early only angers your teammates.

Seven, learn your classes utilities. Some utilities (CC) you may never even use in PVE. This becomes a different game in PVP. You use all your CC or at least try to. And it becomes a game of experience then when to use it and when not too. You probably have never even noticed your resolve bar in PVE. But your life may depend on that little white bar more often than not in PVP.

2) Yes I have been told to perhaps avoid mid-level pvp altogether. I will try it (eventually) and see how bad it goes.

3) DPS yay! I have been a healer on my sage for sooo long, that I have almost forgotten how to kill things. Just hit level 8 and having fun blasting pve stuff atm!

4) See 3 - sneak and hit, that's the plan. I think having stealth is good to start with.

5) Not sure I understand you here.

6) No worries. I will stay clear forever (I think). At any rate it's very far into the future.

7) This will take some time getting used to. I already have 2 stuns heh.

I also wanted to mention that you can get away with clicking on PVE and moving with your keyboard, especially with a Sage since they are a turret, but to be successful in any way with an Operative you need to use your mouse for running and keybind everything

This (finally!) is something I understand. All my skills are usually keybound or bound to my mouse. I rarely, if ever, click. All my new skills are already bound, but I can not move with my mouse. I move with WASD (rarely backpedal, don't worry) and I turn with the mouse. I can only hope that is sufficient, because this is far too ingrained at this point.

Just wanted to add on - just have fun.

I will try :D

I can't offer you any specific advice for your class, just general advice...

• Relax!!! Don't panic, don't whirl your mouse, don't freak out - stay calm and just work through things logically

• Everyone started out where you are, don't get frustrated

• Everyone dies in PvP - it's the main objective - don't get frustrated

• Forget "rotations", it's all about improvisation

• Always call incoming...1 or 8, call it.

• Even if you're stunned, call incoming

• Even if someone is capping, call incoming

• Never forget to call incoming

• PvP is the most challenging and difficult content any game can offer

• PvP is the most fun type of content any game can offer. EVERY fight is unique!!!

• Have fun!

We've all had our rears handed to us, we've all kicked the **** outta someone else...be a good sport, win or lose, because the people you just fought, they're your PvP content.

Welcome to PvP :)

No panic? There will be panic and lots of it!

Rotations... this is a big one I fear. I am very accustomed to proper rotations so...

Call for incoming! Yes I will absolutely do this. I have read enough to understand the importance of this - I just hope people will come when I call. That is how it's suppose to work yes?

I think everything that's been posted is good. But I'm going good to add my "5 first steps to.pvp", because I think it might be useful to start with the really basic basics for a brand new pvp person.

1. Learn that dieing is OK. In pve dying is bad. In pvp you will die. A lot. It's OK.

2. MOVE!!! In pve you can.often stand still and just do rotations. In pvp if you stand still you die. While dieing is ok, you don't want to if you can help.it. so move!

3. Key bind so that you can.move.

4 stick with the crowd. Accept that you don't really know what to do yet. Find someone that seems to have some idea. Follow them and help them do whatever they are doing. Expect don't follow a lone stealth.

5. Don't attack cc'd people unless you've already seen the cc broken by someone else.

1) I suspect that will happen very fast and quite naturally :rolleyes:

2) I move a lot already. I love to move. People have even commented on this when we do ops. The question is rather if I move correctly. ;)

3) Check!

4) I will hide behind the nearest tank.

5) Stuns will be wasted I am certain.

If you want to know how to bolster you can find out how on my YouTube channel below. You can find a thread on the subject here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=797369&highlight=bolstering.

I will check it out, thank you.

Learn the maps.

I have watched some matches here and there, and I have a bit of live coaching (and mockery I am certain!) here at the beginning, but yeah. Understanding where and when to do what is crucial, it get that.

Thank you all for the massive feedback!

I will absolutely try to capture some of my matches. Only way to improve is to accept critical feedback yes? :) Edited by FreyaParker

Probably already mentioned but:

- Join a guild with VOIP/have friends with VOIP to pvp with - this makes the experience far much better.

- People may call you out on your/their mistakes, just ignore them. Everyone had to start somewhere.

- Key map your stuns and stun breakers and stuff off the GCD, finger twitch movement is crucial (though key mapping everything is much better too) I've seen a ton of really bad PT/VGs stop DPSing so that they can use all 7 of their shoulder rockets. This usually indicates they are clickers, as the rockets are off the GCD.

- If you're outnumbered and guaranteed a death, do anything that can help your team, such as a raid wide buff, or stopping a cap with an AoE.

- Play other classes to get a feel on how they might attack your main. Knowing how another spec works is half the battle in how to stop them. For example, if I see a fury mara with 3 stacks of shockwave, I know they're going to follow it up with furious strike (or w/e that move is called), stunning, stealthing out, etc is a great way to slow them down.

Edited by MasterFeign

No panic? There will be panic and lots of it!

Rotations... this is a big one I fear. I am very accustomed to proper rotations so...

Call for incoming! Yes I will absolutely do this. I have read enough to understand the importance of this - I just hope people will come when I call. That is how it's suppose to work yes?

No no no lol, you can panic internally, but learn to stay calm over time...it's adrenaline packed :) I can't stress how important being fully aware is. Know where you can run to (team/healers/DPS/obstacles), know where your opponent is leading you...

Rotations are a thing for PvE. You can certainly TRY in PvP, but you'll never get into a 'rhythm'.

Good!!! Calling is all we ask...if someone comes, great...if they don't, you can only do so much. Nobody faults you for dying, just not calling.

You're going to do just fine in PvP :)

You're definitely better than a lot of folks in PvP, even if you don't know anything yet because you know how to ask and (I'm assuming) how to learn. Adovir already mentioned it, but a lot of people in WZ PvP honestly just don't care about anything other than how many coms they get or just death matching the specific guy in front of them. Eight people working together, selflessly, have a tremendous advantage over eight people all doing their own thing, and I've been in 6v8 matches where we won because the other team was all over the place (and vice versa).

Do you have a brain? if yes then you are already ahead of atleast 80% of the player pool that is in this game.

Are you willing to learn? if yes then you are even further ahead than most everyone else

To add to what everyone else said, I'd say to make sure to develop a thick skin. Don't ignore the chat box completely, but don't take it too terribly seriously, either. There's a lot to learn, but everyone started where you are and even if some people forget that, oftentimes the guys complaining the loudest are the ones who contributed the least to the win (even if they were in the top ranks for medals).

Yes I have been told to perhaps avoid mid-level pvp altogether. I will try it (eventually) and see how bad it goes.

Everyone's experience is different, and honestly... I'd suggest doing mid level PvP just so you get the mid-level abilities down. You can do all the PvE in the world, but getting to know instinctively when to activate a particular ability is key to excelling in PvP. I made the mistake of doing PvP content at low levels, skipping a lot of the mid levels, and then trying to get back into PvP at 55 (back when 55 was the limit). I wouldn't recommend it, unless you have a masochistic streak. Also, you can save up Warzone Commendations (and buy Ranked Warzone Commendations at valor level 40+ or "saber stack" at level 14+), which will allow you to buy a lot of PvP gear when you hit the end game. By skipping mid-game PvP, you're handicapping yourself in that regard.

Not sure I understand you here.

"Focus" is all about multiple people hitting someone at the same time; five players pounding the hell out of a poor, defenseless Sentinel who never hurt anyone and really, why can't we all just along?

Seriously, though, the idea behind a focus break is something that allows you to escape that. Force Camoflage, for example, allows that Sentinel to disappear from combat for a few seconds, forcing those five bullies to go find someone else to pick on. At least until they see you come back. Some classes have more abilities to do this than others.

This (finally!) is something I understand. All my skills are usually keybound or bound to my mouse. I rarely, if ever, click. All my new skills are already bound, but I can not move with my mouse. I move with WASD (rarely backpedal, don't worry) and I turn with the mouse. I can only hope that is sufficient, because this is far too ingrained at this point.

You know, you say that...

I would recommend keeping your mind open on this. If you find that a particular set of keybinds works well for you, that's great, but as you get higher in level, you're going to get a lot more abilities and you can handicap yourself by just going with the default setup that SWTOR provides.

Personally, I like to set my UI up in a "U" shape, with quickbar 1 and 2 in the lower middle of the screen, standard 12 x 1 setup, with quickbar 3 on the left (2 x 6), quickbars 4 and 5 on the right (1 x 8, each), and 6 on the far right (4 x 3). All my stuns/interrupts are in one area, AoE in another, attacks in another, buffs in another, etc. At a glance, I can quickly see what buffs are ready to pop (aka "off cooldown"), what attacks I can use, what medpacs/adrenals I have ready, etc. Granted, my performance still sucks, but it's a lot better than it used to be, and I'd be completely worthless without that setup.

That's also likely the 8th or 9th UI / button setup I've used, by the way. I'm always looking for a tweak that will bring particular abilities that I want to use more often closer into my visual range, and also consistently rethink my button setups in case there's a better way to pop abilities. It sets me back every time I do it, as I have to then relearn each control scheme, but it's less and less each time, and my performance gets better with each revision.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, because I definitely do suck at execution, but I almost want to disagree with this advice. I think it's important to know what the proper rotation is, given that it's optimized to provide the best possible damage output, but it's kinda like a creative writing teacher told me once; you need to know how to write proper English and be familiar with the rules of grammar before you throw them away in your writing. If you know what you're throwing away and why, your writing becomes much more effective. In PvP terms, it really seems to me that what it boils down to is knowing what combinations to use and when. If you learn the rotation, you'll know what abilities buff what other ones, and as you get more experience, you'll see what you can get away with in different situations.

In any group that cares about winning, definitely. It doesn't always happen, though. As has been mentioned previously, a lot of groups don't, and even in groups that do care about winning communication can often be a huge challenge. One group of players wants to go west and east on Novarre Coast, for example, while another wants to go west and south. Guaranteed loss there, IMO. Don't take it personally if that happens.

Oh, and a few tips with regards to guarding:

- Get familiar with "West" and "East" or "Grass" and Snow." Please do not call out "Left" and "Right," as this leads to confusion; "Left" as I'm spawning, or "Left" as I'm looking at the map. I might assume "Left" as I'm spawning, but that doesn't mean you did.

- NO MATTER WHAT, call INC. Even if you've been hit by a stealth and are 5 seconds from dying, a quick [enter] "w1" [enter] can mean the difference between keeping the node and losing it.

- When you call INC, your job is not to take out the enemy. It's nice if you can, but your job is really just to stay alive as long as possible until reinforcements arrive and kill the enemy. Don't be afraid to run away; the enemy might follow you, which delays his capturing the node. Stay close enough to interrupt a node capture attempt if the guy attacking you isn't alone.

- Don't focus on the guy attacking you. If you're attacked by two guys and you're the only guard, focusing on one allows the other to cap (if they're smart). In such an instance, you should be switching attacks between them (or using AoE attacks to deny the capture).

- It will also help you, immensely, to learn some of the stuns & roots that your enemies are throwing at you and to NOT pop a defensive break as soon as you're stunned. The better players, especially, will throw a four-second stun at you, hoping you'll pop a break right off the bat. If you do, they'll then throw a much longer stun on you and cap the node, completely ignoring you while they do. If you instead ignore the shorter stun (and use that time to call INC), they are then forced to use up a longer stun, which you can then break. They are then forced to pay attention to you, instead of capturing the node. When in doubt, ignore the stun and watch them cap, but break when they're a second or two away from doing so. You'll see the status bar fill as they capture the node, but it takes 8 seconds to do so (IIRC), and you'll have time to either wait out the short stun and then interrupt them, or break it a second or two before they finish, and interrupt them.

I suspect that will happen very fast and quite naturally :rolleyes:

It really does, actually. Unless you're like me and have really bad reflexes and a short attention span. Keep at it, though, and you'll get better.

Edited by georgemattson

It's an awesome list!!!

LoL. Thanks. I saw yours right after I posted mine, and I was going to go edit mine and put in "TUX said it better". But it's a little late now. :D

For the original poster, I guess it sounds like you are a bit beyond a *complete* beginner, since you've been researching things already. I'll add a couple more to my list that maybe are not so complete-beginner-ish. Here's my "most common/basic offensive and defensive mistake" for each WZ. All IMHO, of course. Sure, there might be subtle reasons why some/all of these are actually a GOOD idea in some cases, but I think for a beginner, they are better off NOT doing these things at all. And offense/defense might get a little mixed here. Also a lot of these "cross pollinate", as in, you can apply them to more than just the WZ I put them under.

Huttball:

• Defensive: standing on the ledge to the pit at your own endzone and letting the enemy leap to you for an easy score, don't do that.

• Offensive: (this is for stealthers, since you said you were going to be stealth) Not unstealthing when someone throws the ball to you. You have to unstealth to catch it (and stay visible, if you stealth the ball resets).

Hypergates:

• Defense : Trying to delay their pylon cap. In this one, it does no good (directly) to delay them in capping their pylon at the beginning of a round. There are reasons it can be beneficial, yes, but leave that to people more experencied than you are. All most people do by going to delay the cap is get killed, which in this game DOES directly benefit the other team. This is the one WZ where you try really hard to not die, since that directly gives the enemy points.

• Offense : Chasing. Be really careful about chasing that guy that's almost dead out of mid and around the corner by yourself. If the rest of your team is there, fine. But by yourself you are probably going to round the corner to find 3 of her team mates coming out of respawn, and then you die, and give them points.

Ald. Civ. War

• Defense : Not calling inc. This has been covered in other posts already.

• Offense : "helping to cap" - the only WZ where you cap faster with more people is Nov. Coast. Any other "cap the node" WZ, if you see someone has already started capping, watch for incoming enemy and ****CC**** them.

Nov. Coast.

• Defense : Not calling inc (see Ald. Civ. War and a whole bunch of other posts that already said it).

• Offense : Dying like a lemming. That is, by yourself rushing over and over to an enemy controlled node which is being defended by two or more enemy (or, lets face it, when you are new, even one enemy that can crush you like a bug :) ), die, rinse, repeat. Wait for some team mates, and then go do something as a group.

Voidstar

• Defense : Taking your eyes off the doors. I don't know why, but this WZ more than any other people seem to get tunnel vision and stop watching the door. I, as a stealth myself, can often go up to the door at the start of our attack, and then just wait a few seconds, so that the enemy gets engaged by my team - THEN unstealth and plant, even while 5 of the enemy are there "defending". Just keep repeating to yourself, "8 seconds is a LOT shorter than I think it is". :D

• Offense : "helping to cap" (see Ald. Civil War)

Arenas

• I only have one basic "mistake" here - the team agrees to focus attack XXXX, and you attack YYYY instead. Don't do that. :D

Edited by Banderal

Welcome to the exciting world of PvP. You are very welcome to come and hang out with us in the PvP a Day.

So, as someone with a lot of experience in being a new player :o, here is my essay on PvP:

General Ideas:

PvP is a competitive game. The moment you feel negative or resentful about anything at all; the moment you feel like a martyr or the only **** Sapience on the whole planet, log out the character, go do something else. If you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong.

Ask questions, be curious, chat, and make yourself comfortable.

The thing that I remember the most about getting into PvP is that it has a completely different time scale. Have you seen people recently having an emotionally charged discussion about a certain CD being 0.5 second vs 1 second vs 1.5 second? A second is nearly an eternity in PvP.

You need either extremely fast reflexes to access, analyse and respond, or a drilled-in memory of “things to do when”. Until you acquire either/or, or both you will find yourself often running around doing nothing much or being continuously thwarted (i.e. killing yourself off ‘cause you’ve channeled, and he popped a Saber Reflect). Substitute it for spamming something.

PvP are wargames, and there are very few of them; they are more like Ops than Flashpoints because they have objectives secondary to simply killing what’s in front of you. Just like in ToS, your best DPS/HPS on the Underlurker are meaningless if you don’t make it into the cross.

Try watching videos of each zone (Novare Coast, Alderaan Civil War, Ancient Hypergate, Voidstar, Huttball, Queshball) before you load it for the first time to understand what you are trying to achieve as a team.

Spend your first few warzones exploring the maps.

DCDs. Know them better than the offensive spells.

CCs, Interrupts, Cleanses, PvP Medpacks & Adrenals and Level 20 Seismic Grenades are super-easy to forget about with the sky falling down every second.

Set your zoom to 100% and play at the max zoom out.

Mouse-turn, bind and practice moving around the obstacles while simultaneously casting. Preferably at a partner. I know you said you want to stick to the AWSD, but give it a shot. You will see how fluid people are.

Divide your rotation into a few short sequences (2-3 spells) that do as powerful bursts as possible and set up your utilities to proc immediate attacks/no cost attacks/auto crits etc. If you find yourself sitting at range and casting more than 5 things one after another while nobody is hitting you, pinch yourself to wake up.

Review your Utilities and your character equipment. Things like accuracy and defense are almost useless in the zones.

Learn the lingo of the zones and the PvP crowd. If you don’t know what the “inc Snow 3” means in the chat, come and ask here.

Find a buddy to queue with in the same role, and do what the buddy does (target the same player for example). If you don’t have a buddy, watch a player that has the same class as yours and see what s/he is doing.

Memorize the names of the folks you often play with and get used to what they do. Also, knowing the top players on the server helps, ‘cause if they load the same zone you do, you are in for a treat and you don’t want to miss it.

Don’t be a Hero in a great Barbaric tradition. Be a legionary, a part of the unit. What worked for the Roman Empire works in SWTOR PvP.

Play your role. With limited communication if you start stepping too far outside it, you might be duplicating someone or thwarting the collective effort.

Are you starting a brand-new character on a PvP server? If that’s true, you are at a disadvantage because everyone there will have the Legacy unlocks, and in PvP the tiniest advantage is important. I would suggest starting and gearing the character at the server you have the Legacy on, and then moving it to a PvP server fully geared if you feel like checking out the truly competitive scene and carrying all the benefits of your legacy with it.

Stealth DPS classes have unique role in PvP, and often sail on their own. You might do better playing a class that is more integrated into the group until you get the objectives. Unless you are going to heal, in which case, Hottie’s guide was published a few days back in the class forum, and it has an unmistakable PvP lean.

I know, a lot of people suggest playing different characters in PvP to learn the classes. I am on the fence about it. I did a few, but I find is that the muscle memory is a paramount, and I turn blind whenever I switch a character, and lose all feel for it within a few days. Plus, there is a distinctive “My Other Character is a Tank” syndrome when you switch from a role to role.

Sorry it’s long.

Edited by DomiSotto

I am completely new to pvp - it's basically a challenge - and I hope someone could give me some basic pointers about getting started. Please understand that I am not new to the game, as I have been playing a sage for a long time, but only for PVE :o

I have tried to read some of the sticky threads, but there is just so much information :confused:. How exactly do expertise work?

I am starting a new character and on a new server (pvp tomb of freedon nadd). My brother has advised me to try an Operative (never been empire before, should also be interesting).

Start pvp early... Don't wait till LVL 60 which is full of the most experienced players in the game... I start at LVL 15... It allows you to learn your class and what actually works in PVE doesn't always work in PVP

Currently there is a small problem with the mid bracket being too hard at LVL 30... I would suggest missing pvp from LVL 30-45... Then start pvping again... It will still be hard... But not as bad as LVL 30... As you get closer to lvl 59 it will get easier... But when you get to lvl 60 it can be a coulture shock as it may feel like your LVL 50 again playing against the more experienced LVL 60 people

Here is a link on how to gear up and why expertise is the most important pvp stat -http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=795518

Lastly, ask questions, good pvpers will generally be happy to give you advice... If you pop regularly with more experienced players, listen to the strategy and advice... But keep an open mind... Strategy is constantly evolving and once you know the basics... You can refine the more advanced ones or even come up with some yourself

EDIT: Don't death match in objective pvp... Only death match in arena... But even then there is a strategy

Edited by Icykill_

Thank you all! - so much valuable information here.

@georgemattson

I have tweaked my UI on several occasions and I think the current setup works okay. Time will show :)

@Banderal

My very first game was Huttball! I have recoreded the horror and will try to upload it soon. It was a... strange experience. Confusing for certain, but perhaps not as terrible as I imagined. To clarify: I was terrible for certain, but the experience was better than expected. The next warzone was an Arena Match, and it was pretty miserable and it made we want to turn of chat...

@DomiSotto

The first Arena Match was not a lot fun, and made want to log out :/. But I did another match later on, and not only did I survive but we won :D

The thing that I remember the most about getting into PvP is that it has a completely different time scale. Have you seen people recently having an emotionally charged discussion about a certain CD being 0.5 second vs 1 second vs 1.5 second? A second is nearly an eternity in PvP.

Someone stunned me in a fire trap. It sure felt like an eternity.

Set your zoom to 100% and play at the max zoom out.

Check.

Learn the lingo of the zones and the PvP crowd. If you don’t know what the “inc Snow 3” means in the chat, come and ask here.

We did a Alderaan Civil War and someone wrote "g3" in chat while others used east and west. Confusing, but I'll get the hang of it eventually. I hope.

Are you starting a brand-new character on a PvP server? If that’s true, you are at a disadvantage because everyone there will have the Legacy unlocks, and in PvP the tiniest advantage is important. I would suggest starting and gearing the character at the server you have the Legacy on, and then moving it to a PvP server fully geared if you feel like checking out the truly competitive scene and carrying all the benefits of your legacy with it.

Yes I had completely forgotten about all of that, but now I feel kinda committed to this character. Besides I used to play on TRE and I wanted (_was dared!_) to pick a PVP server for this purpose. I have no idea how hard it will be to level this character through the class story on such a server (TOFN). Do people often attack you out in the open?

@Icykill_

I started at level 10 :D

I have now done 7 Warzones in total. I am missing the Coast one and some of the Arena Matches I think.

just be aware of whats going on around you. dont expect games where you dont die. protect and peel for healers bc if they die your team dies. if your team dies you lose. and play the objective ALWAYS. call incomming on nodes / phylons. and reroll your abilites. sage can have a really different build gor pvp vs pve.

Stick with it; you'll get better pretty quickly. One other thing I didn't think to mention; if you can find your way into an active guild that actually uses voice communication, that can be very helpful, assuming anyone in the guild does lowbie PvP. If you were on Pot5, our giuld does this pretty frequently, but I would think you could find one on your server as well.

I think Huttball is the more confusing of the warzones. I know when I started, I had no idea what was going on and just attacked everyone to contribute something. But the best advice is that if no one is attacking you, try to look around for the bright light beam pillar, it tells you where the ball is. It's yellow for one team and purple for the other, so you should where it is and if your team has the ball or not.

Also, when you get the ball, pay attention to the arrows marked on the floor and walls. I have seen so many people that don't notice this and run to their own goal instead of the enemies'. It can get a little disorienting remembering which is your side at times, so just look for the arrows and follow them.

And of course, if you see an open teammate closer to the goal line, pass!

Looks like you are starting to get your feet wet – grats and have fun!

If you really like TofN and get involved into PvP there, you will always be able to bring over another character for the Legacy support/crafting.

One thing to be aware of in the warzone map layouts is that you will sometimes be switching the starting location in the same-side games, so your home base will change and it can be momentarily disorienting. When I played my Imperial toon for the first time, I called incs for Grass instead of Snow, because Home Base = Grass was imprinted in my mind.

“Grass” and “Snow” are only used in Alderaan. Right and left – in the Voidstar. The Mid in Novare is often called South. When there is fighting on both pylons in AHG, I saw people id them as West and East, but normally ‘pylon’ is the one on the left, lol.

More food for thought (I admit that I thought about transferring a pointless character stuck on a EU server to a PvP server to see the high-end PvP).

For crafting it’s either Biochem or Cybertech that helps in PvP. First produces the stims you absolutely have to have, the second provides a reusable grenade (or the batches of seismic L20 ones). I think BioChem is more essential but it depends on the server prices. PvP also keeps my Armstech in business, because of MK-10s, Overkill and Fortitude Augments.

You can always start a mirror character on TRE with the second crafting skill of PvP significance, and bring it over just at 60 with a set of legacy shells, so you can pool all the warzone comms together, divide the pieces between the two toons, and hammer out a T2 set you can share between them + have your supply line covered.

My very first game was Huttball! I have recoreded the horror and will try to upload it soon. It was a... strange experience. Confusing for certain, but perhaps not as terrible as I imagined. To clarify: I was terrible for certain, but the experience was better than expected. The next warzone was an Arena Match, and it was pretty miserable and it made we want to turn of chat...

Huttball is my favorite wz, and my most hated. Depends on whether my team came to play HB (favorite), or just to deathmatch (most hated). :D If you get a good team, and even just spend the game watching them in action (which, I guess you can do even if they are the other side and kicking your butt :) ) it's just cool. Arena's I'm not too good at, so I don't like them much.

About chat, I guess you got raged at? The most common thing I see is the "y'all suck", "you should all unsub", that kind of junk. In lowbies - lol. Where else are you supposed to learn? I sometimes response, "yes, I suck, but with your stellar leadership by example I'm getting better all the time!". But mostly I just ignore it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.