Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Finding a Reason to Play

Glorthox

I have been having trouble finding reasons to play anymore. I am not too keen on waiting over an hour to run a hard mode and haven't wanted to tank ever since Makeb was released. My guild only runs operations on Friday and Saturday. So the only things left is daily missions and leveling alt characters. Well I have nearly every single class to level 60, so that option is dwindling away. So what else is there? I hate PVP, so thats out. So honestly, what else is there? Datacrons are a patience thing, which I have very little of. This isn't an "I quit thread", this is a reason to play thread. I love the game, just wish there was something more worthwhile to do. I will always be a subscriber, but the problem is that there isn't really nothing to subscribe to.

From your post, it sounds like you have a reason to play on Fridays and Saturdays. So, you're looking for a reason to log in every other day? Why? Do something else. Or follow my example and take a break from the game. SWTOR and I have an "open" relationship. SWTOR gets to service other players; I get to spend time with other games. It's very healthy, and makes what time SWTOR and I spend together even better.;)

Problem is that there isn't no other games I play. Not into console games or other PC games. Nothing really holds my interest. Swtor holds my interest to a degree, but when there is barely any endgame content, it makes it kinda lackluster. And on top of that, in order to even run with my guild, I have to upgrade my computer. So that is a minimum of 400 dollars to do so. Which is odd, because every other game I have played didn't need a comp upgrade. I am all about setting a goal and setting out to achieve it. But when the only goal out there is getting better gear mods, there in lies the problem. The last hard mode I queue'd up for, I waited an hour and a half for, and the group imploded on the 2nd trash pull. Queue'd again after that, waited the same amount of time, and the same thing happened. The group imploded on the 2nd boss wipe. So the only other option to see upgrades is operations and buying them on the GTN. But with the Mod's costing 2 million credits each, it just feels like yet another grind. Takes me doing black hole dailies everyday on every 60 character I have to make 1 million credits. So it would take me roughly a whole month to 192 a character. I'm sorry, but that would burn out any player. So I keep asking myself, what else is there.

There is only one reason to play: fun. If you are not having fun, don't play. If you are having fun, play. Problem solved.
Amen.

I don't intend this in a harsh or mean way towards the OP, but how in the world are we supposed to know what's fun for you? I don't raid or run Ops or FPs or any group content. But I have fun crafting, roleplaying, leveling alts (even if I've already capped out that class). But that's me. I don't know what appeals to you. We each have our reason(s) to play ... and every reason is entirely subjective.

There is only one reason to play: fun. If you are not having fun, don't play. If you are having fun, play. Problem solved.
Very much this.

The game isn't mandatory and if you're not having fun, go do something else.

It'll still be here when you're in the mood to play and if you never want to play again, that's fine too.

I feel you on HM FP's Q times. I waited nearly an hour on my 60 dps last night before I gave up.

Switched to my tank - that toon is 55 so I continued on the 'Forged Alliance' chain, but alas, that was bugged (Korriban Incursion wouldn't solo). After trying to get that to work, unsuccessfully, for over an hour, it was bed time. Pretty disappointing gaming night!

But as others have said - if you're not having fun, don't play.

I started playing this game around Beta. I quit WoW to come to this game because of the story based content. And I keep coming back to this game for the same reason. But ever since the game went F2P, queue times have got worse, PVP seems to be the only thing people want to do, and Harbinger is the only server that apparently has no wait time. I have fun running hard modes, but kinda hard to have fun when your forced to wait over an hour. And even then, you aren't guaranteed to have a successful run. Story and Hard modes are what i consider to be fun, but if 90% of the time they are fail groups, then what is the point in waiting for over an hour to get into one? SoR was longer than Makeb and more fun. But it ended too early like Makeb did. IMHO the game is suffering because there isn't more endgame content to keep player immersed. All I see anymore is PVP'ers and no one else.

Play with friends and Q with your friend's tank/healer for quicker pop and a reliable group? Or play as a tank/healer yourself. When I have to Q alone as a dps, I open 2 windows and watch a movie/ news on half of the screen. Also which server are you on? If you're on JC, we can queue together sometimes.

Also, I have played all 8 class stories, so I was bored and went to BC server to make a new guardian since Jedi knight was the 1st class story I played 2 years ago and I've forgotten most of it. The game is fun again, helping new people, joining new guild, starting from scrap, and role-playing for the 1st time. :o

Edited by Hikaru_Kuma

I started playing this game around Beta. I quit WoW to come to this game because of the story based content. And I keep coming back to this game for the same reason. But ever since the game went F2P, queue times have got worse, PVP seems to be the only thing people want to do, and Harbinger is the only server that apparently has no wait time. I have fun running hard modes, but kinda hard to have fun when your forced to wait over an hour. And even then, you aren't guaranteed to have a successful run. Story and Hard modes are what i consider to be fun, but if 90% of the time they are fail groups, then what is the point in waiting for over an hour to get into one? SoR was longer than Makeb and more fun. But it ended too early like Makeb did. IMHO the game is suffering because there isn't more endgame content to keep player immersed. All I see anymore is PVP'ers and no one else.

Harbinger has no wait time? Uhhh....literally every time I queue, regardless of faction, class type, etc. - I ALWAYS wait at LEAST 30 minutes for the GF to pop. HM FP's? An hour, easily. Every time, without fail.

The GF is just horribly broken and needs fixed badly.

What do you have against PvP exactly? I know it's not for everyone, but it can be a helluva lot of fun. If you're this bored, why not try it out? Turn off chat for all I care...just give it an honest effort. In beta, PvP sold me on the entire game...I only got to do 1 WZ prior to one of the wipes, but that one Huttball blew me away...it was a long freaking wait for the next update (which was like 2-3 days I believe?). After that, all of my beta time got devoted to WZ's...

Top reasons i'm still playing...

- Progression Raiding (the main reason I play MMOs)

- 100% Achievements. . . I'm a completionist but it's gonna take a LONGGGG time with how many there are.

- Leveling (don't care for that part) and learning to play/gearing at least 1 of every advanced class, and will wind up with a few doubles in the end..

- Seeing how much coin I can make in game

- People I play with... This and raiding are basically 90% of why I play.. it's why the game is fun to me.

If your not having fun with ANY of the games activities.. stop playing for now... It happens to any serious gamer.. you get burnt out if you play the same thing constantly. I keep 2-3 games i'm playing at the same time, though with 3.0 almost all my time has been in SWTOR..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.