Im buying a desktop and NEED YOUR opinion

benficakungfu

Are you looking to buy a pre-built system of are you comfortable building your own?

Do you have any preferences regarding the manufacturer for a pre-built system or the specific hardware that goes into a custom build?

What display resolution would you prefer (1080p, 1440p, 4K)? Just for reference, 1080p is HD quality. 1440p and 4k are much better than HD. 1440p and 4K may be out of your price range at this time, but only if you need the monitors as part of the build. It may not be impossible to build around a graphics solution that could support a higher resolution with a monitor upgrade in the future. These monitors are quite expensive though at this time, but the price seems to be coming down a fair amount on 1440p at least.

Will you need peripheral devices such as monitor, keyboard, and mouse as part of the build?

Do you plan to use any software other than games? If yes, please list the software,

Do you prefer Intel or AMD cpus?

Do you prefer AMD or nVidia graphics?

Edited by Orizuru

Definitly pre built i had previously an HP pavilion g6 i53140 2.4gzh with intel hd 4000 and a radeon hd 7670m, im not educated enough on this to built my own, but i def dont want another laptop cause apparently my radeon was never used by the game!! Something about a conflict where card would only trigger if integrated counldnt handle ... But yes definitely pre built mate, above all for games yes.

Definitly pre built i had previously an HP pavilion g6 i53140 2.4gzh with intel hd 4000 and a radeon hd 7670m, im not educated enough on this to built my own, but i def dont want another laptop cause apparently my radeon was never used by the game!! Something about a conflict where card would only trigger if integrated counldnt handle ... But yes definitely pre built mate, above all for games yes.

Unfortunately I'm not well versed in the availability and performance of pre-built rigs outside of the US. I was hoping you were going to say custom built! :)

I checked with some friends I have on http://www.overclock.net and they recommended CyberPowerPC UK. Here's a link to a special deal they have this week that might be just what you are looking for.

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/weekly_sales_III

You could downgrade the cpu in that build to the i5-4690K and not notice one difference in performance while saving some cash. The i7 offers no real advantage over the i5 for gaming.

Do some research though to make sure you're getting the best price. My friends across the pond all said this site is one of the better places, but they also recommended http://www.ibuypower.com, but I wasn't able to visit the same page you would since I"m in the US and their domain redirects me to the US store.

Both of these sites are pre-built rigs, but they are essentially selling you a custom built computer. Many of them even include basic watercooling features and preconfigured overclocks. They will probably want to charge extra if you need a warranty though. All of the parts they use will have manufacturers warranties, but the company you buy the rig from won't provide support unless you buy a protection plan from them. A 1-2 year plan that covers parts and labor isn't a bad idea if you aren't comfortable replacing parts yourself should anything fail.

I would avoid brands like HP, Dell, and other manufacturers. Their prices tend to be outrageous for gaming rigs that don't stand up to the custom builds you can get from places like CyberPower.

Also, watch these custom builds to be certain they include an Operating System. The build I linked above does not include one. The cost goes up 104 euros to add Win 7 or Win 8.1 to the build. The downgrade on the CPU should help offset this and keep it within your budget. Also watch for freebie items they offer. This link build has an option for a free gaming keyboard and mouse for example, but by default its not included in the order.

I have checked that site yes, can i assume swtor does not have conflitcs with windows 8.1 ?

Im from portugal though dunno how that works out for me, ill take my time on this one.. From ehat i see asusseems to be the better choice?

Asus is a very popular brand in PC gaming. I love their monitors! They make one of the best 1ms 144 hz gaming monitors for the best price. I tend to use their motherboards quite often as well.

MSI and Gigabyte tend to be very popular as well. EVGA is one of my favorites for graphics cards, but if you want an AMD card you won't find one from EVGA. Corsair makes great cases and memory, but can be pricey. Corsair has many other great products as well, but they tend to buy other products and rebrand them, so some of their products can be utter crap too. Corsair Power Supplies are really hit and miss. Some are amazing, others are horrible.

As for SWTOR on Windows 8.1, I'm not aware of any issues there, but I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate. I'm not a fan of the Windows 8 user experience. I have it on my computer at work, and I find myself having to google how to do tasks I've known how to do for years without question. It drives me crazy, so I'm waiting for Windows 10 before I upgrade my home computer again. From what Microsoft has been saying, Windows 10 is supposed to be a free upgrade for all Windows 7 and 8, 8.1 users for the first year after its released. There are some rumors that Win 10 may require a subscription fee to stay fully licensed though, so I'm still clinging to Windows 7 Ultimate until I know more.

Edited by Orizuru

just checked that desktop, :'( do i need such a powerfull graphics card for swtor though?

Would rather, buy the motherboard and upgrade card afterwards, however, i do not know what card would offer me a "low" price vs great performance.. any ideas?

How secure is this source though?

Edited by benficakungfu

just checked that desktop, :'( do i need such a powerfull graphics card for swtor though?

Would rather, buy the motherboard and upgrade card afterwards, however, i do not know what card would offer me a "low" price vs great performance.. any ideas?

How secure is this source though?

You could definitely go with a different graphics card for SWTOR. I recommended the build with the 970 because you originally stated you wanted something high-end and I figured you would be playing some other games that might need the extra power.

The GTX 960 is the next step down, will still run this game at max settings, and offers a small savings over the 970. If you prefer AMD you could consider the R9 280 as well. The next step down would be the R9 270X from AMD or the GTX 750 Ti from nVidia. I think the 270X is best budget card on the market right now, but its been a while since i did any comparisons or read reviews. At some point nVidia should be releasing a 950Ti, which might give the 270X some better competition and should be a bit faster than the 750 Ti. If can't hurt to look at the GTX 760 Ti and GTX 770. They are built on an older architecture than the 900 series cards, and won't be able to handle DX10.0 when it releases, but none of the current AMD cards can support DX10 yet either, so the 700 series cards aren't bad options. Especially if you are open to upgrading at a later date.

There are some better AMD options that will support DX10 if you can wait for them to release their 300 series R9 cards. I'm not sure when they are due to release, but the reviews I've seen are putting them on par with nVidia's 900 series cards, some are likely to pull ahead a small amount in the cost to performance area with some minor overclocking. I haven't seen much in the way of information on how they will be priced though.

The only downside to down-grading the graphics card is you will end up pairing a high-end cpu with a mid-range graphics cards. Which doesn't really create a problem exactly, but it creates a bottleneck on the GPU. In CPU intensive games like SWTOR, it shouldn't be an issue. But if you play games that require a strong GPU then you could see some performance issues where the cpu is idle and waiting for the gpu to finish before it can do something. If you can find a good price on a GTX 770 or 780 though, you could avoid this bottleneck and probably won't need to upgrade your graphics again for several years unless you have a legitimate need for DX10 support.

I tend to prefer nVidia cards myself, but I'm not some fanboy who thinks AMD is bad. AMD makes very good and very competitive cards. In many areas the AMD cards actually pull ahead, especially in cost to performance comparisons. The R9 270X has been a very strong card in the market for this reason alone, and its no slouch on the performance either.

I can't speak about how secure that site might be. I'm in the US and have never bought from them. You should be able to find some reviews of the site from other customers if you google it though.

Edited by Orizuru

Basic thoughts: build your own. Much cheaper, more powerful, less crap than buying a pre-built system.

1st thing I'd do, go to someplace like cyberpowerpc.com to get an idea of what kind of system you want.

Then I'd go to pcpartpicker.com to look at build options to build your own.

Then go to youtube and watch a couple of videos on building your own pc. It's really easy and watching the videos will ease the process along and simplify the process.

Biggest advice from there, and speaking from experience, know where you are going to put your computer, and the kind of desk you are going to put it in or on top of. Buy a good case that fits into the right spot. Noise can be a big thing. A bad case in the wrong spot can sound like you're in a wind tunnel. But a good case even in the wrong spot can be as quiet as a mouse.

• 3 weeks later...

Waaaaay smoother then my laptop .... So guys here is my build -

Asus z87 with sli support the intel i5 4960k 6mb and the evga gtx750 OC 2gddr5 got watercoer for proc

As for performance i am very happy only drop a little in fps in 8vs8 pvp or 16sm but i only notice cause i have fps displayed all times for monitoring purposes any question are free of charge!

Waaaaay smoother then my laptop .... So guys here is my build -

Asus z87 with sli support the intel i5 4960k 6mb and the evga gtx750 OC 2gddr5 got watercoer for proc

As for performance i am very happy only drop a little in fps in 8vs8 pvp or 16sm but i only notice cause i have fps displayed all times for monitoring purposes any question are free of charge!

Awesome! Glad you got what you wanted. Where did you end up buying it from?