Why is Shoulder Cannon now 1.5 seconds

FerkWork

As a person who plays PVE PT tank the shoulder cannon of 0.5 seconds was excellent for helping healers with burst heals when combined with the healing utility. Can we not get it as as a passive for the Shield spec? Would be nice...

PS: Fix pyro

Edited by FerkWork

As a person who plays PVE PT tank the shoulder cannon of 0.5 seconds was excellent for helping healers with burst heals when combined with the healing utility. Can we not get it as as a passive for the Shield spec? Would be nice...

PS: Fix pyro

Like any other "Balance", blame how awesome AP was in PvP. When I could global people with 6-7 shots of Cannon crits and a Thermal Detonator, I can see how OP it was. That said you are correct, the 3rd Defense CD PT tanks have is now not near as effective and its lame.

Like any other "Balance", blame how awesome AP was in PvP. When I could global people with 6-7 shots of Cannon crits and a Thermal Detonator, I can see how OP it was. That said you are correct, the 3rd Defense CD PT tanks have is now not near as effective and its lame.

I understand the thing about AP using it global people but why can't they make it a perk of being a tank in Ion stance? I don't think it would give us OP heals as the cooldown now is to long to be effective (especially since the point was that you can fire it off GC) and I don't think PT Tanks were globaling people like AP was. I would take the cooldown decrease in exchange for a damage decrease on the missiles.

Honestly, more and more I'm in favor of making the classes have PVE and PVP versions so we can stop trying to balance one while in the process unbalancing the other

Edited by FerkWork

The shoulder cannon just feels really clunky right now. I don't pvp so I wouldn't know how OPed it was, but I went AP purely because of the preloaded shoulder cannon. Without that feature the shoulder cannon is a horrible skill, slow and laborious, not to mention you have to click once just to load the damn thing, and it has a long (now even longer) cooldown. Probably one of the worst skill 'designs' in the game.

Its a cool idea, but needs work. Maybe it can just have something like 4 shots with a shorter cd between (.5 second?) and then a 45 second cooldown or something. Get rid of the need to preload it, and change the skill in AP to not preload 3 missiles (maybe it could just be a shorter cooldown like 30 seconds). Then they can adjust the damage or whatever to suit. I know it sounds similar to how it was and just adjusting a few minor things but its the only solution I can see to make i a decent skill.

Either way as a skill in its current form; its kind of horrible and clunky

Honestly I think it is due to it being a very lazily done nerf. While they should have targeted certain specs they instead simply blanket nerfed the entire class with it. When it first came out many patches ago it was always on a 1 second cooldown. Later due to lagg issues with the shots they changed it to 0.5 to make it more useful to tanks in PvE. Pre 3.0 tanks were the only ones with a self heal from it and only had 4 missiles (just like post 3.0).

With the release of 3.0 dps spec got the self heal and 7 missiles which boosted their survivability and damage up in PvP quite a bit. Rather than do a cooldown tie in with a passive skill in the tank tree it was just easier to do a blanket nerf of 1.5 seconds to all specs.

Granted I don't play dps but I can imagine that the 1.5 second cooldown feels just as clunky for them since it doesn't time up well at all with the rest of the cooldowns within any VG's rotation. If they wanted to nerf dps damage and survivability from it they could have simply removed the self heal (like it was prior to 3.0 for dps) and lowered the missile count to 4 (like it has always been for tank spec).

Ever since 3.0 the shoulder cannon was a bit OP with 7 rockets that could crit each hit and heal at same time with only 0.5 between rockets. Personally having played the AP Powertech for sometime I felt that the shoulder cannon did need a slight... SLIGHT nerf. Not to get rendered completely useless with that 1.5 seconds between rockets. Has no use now. I feel that it would have been more reasonable if the made the delay 1.0

Least with a 1.0 delay it wouldn't have rendered the shoulder cannon useless.

Edited by Razzur

The shoulder cannon now feels absolutely useless. What used to be a main skill I used now seems pointless and clunky. The 1.5 seconds seems way too long. Why they didn't just set it at 1 second, I'll never know. The healing aspect has no use anymore either because the time between shots takes too long for the healing to become anything substantial. I'm pretty upset with Bioware's recent "fix."

The 1.5s limit on missiles is perfectly fine. You just can't instaglobal people by yourselves anymore with all 7 3k+ rockets going off within the span of 3.5 seconds. SC is meant to help add to burst, not BE your burst. That's exactly what it does now; you get to use one missile per global, i.e. with each attack you do you have a bit of extra damage going out with that missile in your opener. Seriously, this is exactly like the Lightning sorcs crying over the fact about how their damage is going to be "useless" once the PTS nerf hits live.... a nerf where they're losing FIVE PERCENT chance for a secondary attack proc to hit, and losing FIVE PERCENT damage from that proc. They went from 30% damage at a 30% chance to 25% damage at a 25% chance. But if you were to listen to them they'd have you believe Lightning is now useless because of this. SC is fine, it's not a "free" extra medpac anymore nor is it a "lolimmaglobalyoumyselfbecauselolburst" ability anymore.

The 1.5s limit on missiles is perfectly fine. You just can't instaglobal people by yourselves anymore with all 7 3k+ rockets going off within the span of 3.5 seconds. SC is meant to help add to burst, not BE your burst. That's exactly what it does now; you get to use one missile per global, i.e. with each attack you do you have a bit of extra damage going out with that missile in your opener. Seriously, this is exactly like the Lightning sorcs crying over the fact about how their damage is going to be "useless" once the PTS nerf hits live.... a nerf where they're losing FIVE PERCENT chance for a secondary attack proc to hit, and losing FIVE PERCENT damage from that proc. They went from 30% damage at a 30% chance to 25% damage at a 25% chance. But if you were to listen to them they'd have you believe Lightning is now useless because of this. SC is fine, it's not a "free" extra medpac anymore nor is it a "lolimmaglobalyoumyselfbecauselolburst" ability anymore.

Hahaha! No. It's not fine.

.5 second rockets were insane and anyone with a brain knew a nerf was coming. I personally think 1 sec ICD would have been fine, but 1.5 despite being clunky is still quite good. The heal is a bit meh now but that's oksy as it was always more of a dueling utility anyway.

The problem is that even though AP is still very strong, the tank and pyro specs were weakened significantly more by the nerf than AP was.

You know I specifically stated that I am talking about tanks for PvE progression right, not AP's in PvP? A 1 second cool down with reduced damage on the SC for Shield tech would be nice for bosses like Bulo who's cleave debuff stacks come fast and hard for which favors burst healing.

Edited by FerkWork

It was my understanding it was nerfed due to it's being too nice of a heal for tanks in PvE and not nerfed due to it's burst dmg for AP in PvP.

That is a ludicrous statement. If the heal was too OP then they would have nerfed the utility itself as you can still get the same amount of heals from it just over a longer period of time. That you could as an AP grapple immobilize then burst down an opponent even if you were stun locked by them was a far bigger issue I believe.

Edited by FerkWork

Still the best node defense skill in the game.

Indeed :-) we still pack a punch with the nerf though I wish the cannon would self proc when available without having to reselect my character, hitting a button to get it reloading again is annoying.

• 1 month later...
Adding 1.5 seconds and a damage nerf was a bit overkill. Think 1 second with the damage nerf would've been fair.

Yah I have removed the shield cannon utility from pvp now because I feel like it just doesn't heal you for much anymore and its just so slow now when I get hit for 10k and heal for 2k and get hit again for 6k right after...back to being squishy I almost want to start building pt tank pvp gear naow...

\

I see none of your toons are pts/vanguards so play one before the nerf and see how bad it is now when you get hit for 10k that little 2k heal isn't doing much when the next 6k hit comes 1.5 seconds later cancelling it out and then some

Edited by flaviusthelewd

\

I see none of your toons are pts/vanguards so play one before the nerf and see how bad it is now when you get hit for 10k that little 2k heal isn't doing much when the next 6k hit comes 1.5 seconds later cancelling it out and then some

I play Vanguard as my main. The shoulder rocket nerf was completely justified. It feels much more balanced now.

• 2 months later...
Got new VG tank so looking at Shoulder Cannon from this perspective. Healing emergency skill is nice, but why does it have a 5 min timer at all? Should be just loaded and waiting forever (unless I log/change instance etc). 1.5 cast time is too long as well