More "potentially good news" for GSF

havokhead

In addition to a new crew of developers being added to SWTOR, which opens up more resources for development which gives GSF a glimmer of hope. A new development from Disney states the first Star Wars spin-off movie will be Rogue-One, which everyone assumes will be a fighter-squadron based movie based around X-Wings and starring Felicity Jones.

And, while this doesn't guarantee anything it will at least create some buzz around space fighters and a spike in interest, Bioware already admitted they re-organized their dev team to meet & capitalize on the up-coming Star Wars frenzy next year so why wouldn't they do the same for GSF and a movie about that theme?

so why wouldn't they do the same for GSF and a movie about that theme?

If they can't fix or even address the fps/lag issue in three months, haven't added anything to GSF since the strongholds expansion came out, then I sure as hell wouldn't count on them adding anything into GSF.

Edited by Amorianallund

GSF has behaved itself pretty well for me, except for the random breakage of stuff with most new releases.

The performance I had with it was: when I was running a Radeon HD 4670, it would occasionally stutter hard. I'd fly into the shipyard structure near the mid pub spawn on Lost Shipyards, and it would literally spend half a second figuring out how to jam all the textures into the card's memory.

The graphical issue I've got is: occasionally all the green brackets around teammates will very occasionally show corruption-everything will be pixellated. I've had this on two graphics cards, and I've been in Mumble with someone who had it. It's not going to be an easy one to nail down, so I don't expect anything to happen with it, especially when there are more pressing issues like:

-Damage reduction. It's totally useless against Everyone's Favorite Guns(BLC/slug rail).

-You only need 3 weapons to be evil: burst lasers, ion rail, slug rail.

-Evasion. It's the go-to defensive stat because it evades missiles (DF T3), evades guns, and evades debuffs (rails and missiles). It needs to be stronger against railguns, but weaker against other things.

-Strikers don't have anything they're good at, which makes them really weak in serious games.

-Concussion missiles are too slow to hit ships and pilots which LOS out of cluster spam.

-Torpedoes are too slow to hit bombers which are expecting them.

-Plasma rail doesn't have anything it's good at.

-Lots of weapons have very easy choices: slug rail tier 4 (always left!), ion rail tier 4 (always right!), and BLC tier 4 (always left!) come to mind.

-Strikers don't have anything they're good at, which makes them really weak in serious games.

-Concussion missiles are too slow to hit ships and pilots which LOS out of cluster spam.(always left!) come to mind.

Disagreed. One of my many toons(all do GSF at some point) has a Tier 1 strike. With the exception of 1 or 2 really elite pilots on my server who will beat me regardless of which ship I fly, I do very well in it.

I also have concussion missiles on the strike. They do fairly well for me.

Disagreed. One of my many toons(all do GSF at some point) has a Tier 1 strike. With the exception of 1 or 2 really elite pilots on my server who will beat me regardless of which ship I fly, I do very well in it.

Yeah Strikes are fine. T1 Strike is excellent, well balanced ship. Small nerf on T2 scout would make T1 Strike perfect. Even in current state of matters, it flies great in almost any situation.

The problem with Strikes is more that there is always a ship which would do better in the situation your in.

Big dogfight? Scout with BLC. Defending a satellite? Bomber. Area Denial without a satellite or long range combat? Gunship

Apart from rare things like a T3 Strike with Charged Plating diving into a 3 Bomber satellite, I never find myself playing and thinking "man I wish I had brought my Strike" *shrug*

Yeah Strikes are fine. T1 Strike is excellent, well balanced ship. Small nerf on T2 scout would make T1 Strike perfect. Even in current state of matters, it flies great in almost any situation.

Agreed. BLCs don't match up to Ions and quads. Unless the RNG gods are with them, and they dodge every one of your shots, a good strike can melt a BLC Cluster Scout.

Edited by Camelpockets

Agreed. BLCs don't match up to Ions and quads. Unless the RNG gods are with them, and they dodge every one of your shots, a good strike can melt a BLC Cluster Scout.

Only if the scout isn't aware of the strike or tries to joust.

I am actually hoping that a new Star Wars space fighter game is released based off of the new series. GSF is nice and all, but a standalone game would be much better. Made by a company with more experience in that kind of game.

Made by a company who gives a damn?

EA is an umbrella company, though. They employ a wide range of studios with diverse design philosophies, and each can have their own policies for developers. Some things are clearly corporate wide, like the reliance on semimalicious origin bloatware, the insistence on DLC / microtransactions being shoehorned in, etc, but if you are willing to look past that utter trashcan stuff you'll see a variety of game types, philosophies, levels of craftsmanship, etc. You can believe that EA means "bad publisher" based on their policies and your interpretation of them, but don't think it means "bad developer".