Good God, use Voicechat already!

Gronkagin

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....................My guild use Mumble for FP co-ordination and general chit-chat - And I agree that in grouped PvP or GSF it is a great advantage...................

And there lies the problem

General chit-chat. Do you have any inclination whatsoever about how much I don't want to hear your general chit-chat?

I am truly not interested in you or your lives.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

There are minor differences between the voice chat programs of course, but in general I don't see how other programs like Mumble, Ventrilo or Raidcall offer anything important Teamspeak doesn't have, so there's no point switching to a different service anyway.

That's because you live in Germany.

Mumble is open-source and made specifically for gaming so has extremely high voice quality with next-to-zero latency. For gaming, it's the best chat program out there (purely from a technical standpoint).

Just because it's the only software available in your region does not make it de-facto the best.

Good God people, buy a cheap microphone and download Teamspeak 3, Ventrilo, or Mumble. They are all excellent (I prefer TS3), free, and allow you to actually tactically communicate with others in PvP, AND PvE to better and more quickly react to things. You can also tell jokes, talk to people, etc. And yes, I agree it should have been integrated into the game.

Even if you don't have a microphone or if you have some weird syndrome that makes you afraid to talk anonymously over a microphone (Glossophobia-fear of public speaking, Thanks BING!) you can still listen to what people are saying, and react to it.

So download one or all of those programs, folks. They won't slow down your system, aren't hard to set up, and will increase your enjoyment of the game.

Some of them (TS3) have the ability for you to share a simple url that automatically connects you to the guild or kinship's voice server. This spares you from having to type in IP addresses and passwords.

It's the internet, guys and gals. We can't see you, you'll be okay. Relax and Game ON, with voice!

Whyusomad?? Just a video game u can play it without talking someone,angry guy.i %99.9 of the time playing alone but never get mad about it lol..u guys are so weird...1 guy asks for partners in forum another 1 wants to hear people xD wtfisdis****

Edited by muratovulkumen

The problem I see with using a voice program for a PUG, is that NOBODY wants to wait the 30 seconds for you to get a channel set up. Everybody is too busy rushing to the next room and spamming a spacebar for that kind of nonsense.

The problem isn't using a voice chat program for story mode PuGs.

The problem is that Story Mode operations are so mechanic heavy and unforgiving that you need voice chat to PuG it and even then you are probably going to fail Underlurker.

The problem isn't using a voice chat program for story mode PuGs.

The problem is that Story Mode operations are so mechanic heavy and unforgiving that you need voice chat to PuG it and even then you are probably going to fail Underlurker.

the difference between an OP and a FP (especially tactical FPS) is the scripts. You make an OP easier by reducing the damage/hp of the encounter so that script failures =/= definite wipe.

Story mode ops here are absolutely, positively, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the easiest instanced raid I have ever encounters in over 15 years of MMOs. If people can PUG the harder raids of other games then the only reason for a PUG to fail in a SM OP here is because of the players themselves, not the encounter.

the difference between an OP and a FP (especially tactical FPS) is the scripts. You make an OP easier by reducing the damage/hp of the encounter so that script failures =/= definite wipe.

Story mode ops here are absolutely, positively, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the easiest instanced raid I have ever encounters in over 15 years of MMOs. If people can PUG the harder raids of other games then the only reason for a PUG to fail in a SM OP here is because of the players themselves, not the encounter.

I disagree. I've dealt with easier raids in other MMO's, most notably WoW. Of course in WoW, if I was "out of the fire" I didn't get teleported back into it and killed because the server and client didn't agree with where I was...

The easiest raid I've ever experienced was Naxxramas in WotLK. It was pretty, but the mechanics weren't anything special. I'll give props to EA/BW for the mechanics in these two new ops but it just seems that their hardware can't handle it which makes it a little more difficult than it should be. I'll even go so far as to say I like the RNG elements added in but dislike that the RNG can wipe an ops group even if everything else is perfect.

But the complexity of mechanics make trying to explain those mechanics to PuG's who haven't experienced it before very difficult using text chat. It can be done, but the typed explanation will take longer than the encounter in the more complex fights.

Difficulty is subjective, but in this case one very telling comment about the difficulty of ToS in story mode was Musco's when he said that only a very small percentage of people doing operations were doing ToS.

I only play this game alone so I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.

I share your penchant for solitary play. Perhaps we should play alone together. We could form our own Guild of players who prefer self sufficiency over group-thought. A well-organized, structured group of anarchists. Players who reject widespread conventions and embrace the conventions we all share. Players who disdain conformity ... a cadre of characters who are each identically different.

I still won't use voicechat.

If your leading Op, use text that's fine. If I'm leading it, you better get on TS(if it's your first time).

And as I'm pretty damn sure I said earlier, I have TS for ops that require it. Such as Rav or ToS.

If we're doing NiM EV or KP, I'm not turning teamspeak on.

Nah, not broken. Thanks for the concern though! It doesn't matter to me if you don't use voicechat. I have run into people in game that using voicechat would have helped. I could have given them tips, etc. much easier than typing it all out. And people have done that for me! Much more information passing much faster than having to type and read it. I just wanted to get it out there how easy it can be to set it up and use it, even if you don't want to talk on it.

I have all three programs installed, and I use them all as needed. I have my own TS3 server. The only thing that causes me concern are some of these "free" Russian Mumble servers...I stay away from those!

I definitely should NOT have titled this starting with "Good God...." I meant that to convey my frustration, at times, not that I thought everyone should always use voicechat.

I just checked something. On TS3 you can mute individual users independently. So if you have a mouth breather who doesn't like using PTT (Push to Talk), you can mute them, and still hear everyone else. I'm pretty sure Vent lets you do that too. Not sure about Mumble.

I just checked something. On TS3 you can mute individual users independently. So if you have a mouth breather who doesn't like using PTT (Push to Talk), you can mute them, and still hear everyone else. I'm pretty sure Vent lets you do that too. Not sure about Mumble.

Its also useful for the ones who like to "share their food" as well :eek:

Nah, not broken. Thanks for the concern though! It doesn't matter to me if you don't use voicechat. I have run into people in game that using voicechat would have helped. I could have given them tips, etc. much easier than typing it all out. And people have done that for me! Much more information passing much faster than having to type and read it. I just wanted to get it out there how easy it can be to set it up and use it, even if you don't want to talk on it.

I have all three programs installed, and I use them all as needed. I have my own TS3 server. The only thing that causes me concern are some of these "free" Russian Mumble servers...I stay away from those!

I definitely should NOT have titled this starting with "Good God...." I meant that to convey my frustration, at times, not that I thought everyone should always use voicechat.

There is one thing that people who use voice chat for all their gaming never ever learn and imo is probably the difference between people who don't grasp basic knowledge of their environment, and those that have attained what I call "Situational Awareness." this in all would in fact turn people who have never used a typing channel into (Amazing Raiders) and use typing to form there raids and describe instructions. Also it involves another thing like "Common Sense."

for instance if you see the melee backing away from a mob, or the mob pausing its movements because it has a casting bar going, those are all signs that 1.) there is something I need to avoid so move, or 2.) I need to interrupt a spell being cast.

how many times have I seen people run in and stand on the red dots not moving taking all the damage, or I get a group that works like a well oiled machine everyone knows there roles and we clear a FP like for instance Hammer Station, in 10 min.... without one word being spoken...

"Practice makes Perfect?" I would say yes it does.

Local mute means that if they are trying to say something important to whats going on, we cant hear them now can we? Sort of defeats the point of voice chat altogether.

As long as its not the person giving directions... who cares. Figured that part would be self explanatory but apparently not...

Edited by g_land

I dunno - I mean I use vent with my guild sometimes - but i'm a husband/father, etc - so i'd rather not have to burden my guild with a conversation if my wife or daughter comes down. So far, no issues just listening, but overall, it's not as easy to do for some people.

They have this thing called push to talk, and microphone mute.