Just blew $$18 million creds...

Joonbeams

As always, when people run out of arguments, the people defending the notion that the GTN, by definition, is not prone to scams is, quite obviously, a scammer.

Curious....weren't you one of the folk assuming anyone who thought the Ravagers exploit was no big deal was obviously a cheater? I could swear it was you...I may be wrong...but I thought you called me a cheater since I thought there should be no punishment.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Bioware had made the stance that people can set whatever price they want and as such that is why they'll never acknowledge these things as being a scam because it's hard to prove intent.

I guess my biggest question then would be, and this is for all the people that don't think this is a scam, is why do you think people set a price at 9,000,123 when the absolute lowest price is 90,123? It isn't just one person doing this. Do you all think these people randomly made the number so similar to the low price number? Is this all just coincidence? Are there that many people that just really believe their 1 mat is worth millions of credits!?

Please someone help me with this.

Edited by Papazmurf

Curious....weren't you one of the folk assuming anyone who thought the Ravagers exploit was no big deal was obviously a cheater? I could swear it was you...I may be wrong...but I thought you called me a cheater since I thought there should be no punishment.

You are one to talk...

Afraid this might ruin your ability to scam others?

Difference being, in this case, no one broke the ToS. It comes down to player inattentiveness, nothing more.

Troll harder, please.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

While I do have sympathy with the OP's situation and I do disagree with the practice of folk listing things so high in order to catch people out. I don't want any UI change.

When a player falls victim to this kind of thing in game, I end up thinking folk are in such a rush and don't take any time to look at what they are doing most of the time, it teaches a very valuable lesson and also shows that games don't have to be all nice and fluffy and sweet and innocent.

Though I also acknowledge that for some folk, an experience like this could kill their enjoyment of the game so it's a fine balancing act which I'll admit freely - not smart enough to solve to keep everyone happy

Who are you keeping happy by leaving fractional currency in exactly? The scammers?! Who the hell uses the decimals that you're trying to keep happy?

There's an easy solution that solves this quite easily...remove decimals and any fractional currency. That's all they need to do to fix the UI imo.

* snip *

I'll leave this here yet again:

A scam would be for the would-be buyer to be presented with a listing that is, in some shape or form, inaccurate; that, in addition to not receiving what he or she purchased.

This is not the case with the GTN.

The listing is not only impartial, but it's also NOT self-aware; it doesn't change midway, during the time the would-be buyer is perusing the listing -- it doesn't communicate or tries to manipulate the would-be buyer either.

It falls to the would-be buyer to pay attention to what he or she is doing.

If the would-be buyer fails to read a listing properly, he or she can complain all they want about not getting what they assumed to have purchased but that aside, the listing was accurate, precise and didn't change halfway.

Hence, no scam occurred, but rather -- in this case -- player inattentiveness did.

You are one to talk...

Difference being, in this case, no one broke the ToS. It comes down to player inattentiveness, nothing more.

Troll harder, please.

HA! It was you lol. I love hypocrisy lol. Carry on...I can't wait to see your next double standard.

the only way to fix an issue with pricing would be for BW to set up a price table the tells the GTN how much such and such item is worth and sets the price accordingly as well as calculating the price for stacks.

Example say plasteel is listed as worth 1000 creds a unit and someone puts in a stack of 99 the GTN would set the price at 99,000.

I know this is the one thing people would hate to have added because it means they can't price gouge anymore if the prices are set in stone.

Correction: you failed to make a point.

Disappointing, but predictable.

As always, when people run out of arguments, the people defending the notion that the GTN, by definition, is not prone to scams is, quite obviously, a scammer.

I wonder how long it took you to think that one out. :rolleyes:

I think I made a point but you continue to gloss over it but alas.

The only thing I find disappointing is you seem to miss the point about the fact I am defending the GTN - you're stubborn insistence that the GTN is completely unscammable is what I was questioning. But you seem set on flogging the horse that there is no scam at all that your arguement falls flat on its face and we are proceeding in a circular downward spiral.

Please feel free to think further and get back to me :rolleyes:

the only way to fix an issue with pricing would be for BW to set up a price table the tells the GTN how much such and such item is worth and sets the price accordingly as well as calculating the price for stacks.

Example say plasteel is listed as worth 1000 creds a unit and someone puts in a stack of 99 the GTN would set the price at 99,000.

I know this is the one thing people would hate to have added because it means they can't price gouge anymore if the prices are set in stone.

OMG no...just remove fractional currency

HA! It was you lol. I love hypocrisy lol. Carry on...I can't wait to see your next double standard.

You don't know the definition of the word.

Again, last I checked, this comes down to player inattentiveness, not a scam, let alone someone breaking the ToS. You defended those who did the latter, not me.

Once more, troll harder.

Please feel free to think further and get back to me :rolleyes:

Please feel free to learn to read, learn the definition of "scam", in addition to thinking ahead before accusing others of something just because they don't agree with you.

You'll go farther in life that way.

Who are you keeping happy by leaving fractional currency in exactly? The scammers?! Who the hell uses the decimals that you're trying to keep happy?

There's an easy solution that solves this quite easily...remove decimals and any fractional currency. That's all they need to do to fix the UI imo.

I believe that in an MMO there should always be the possibility for moving around the edges of light and dark into the grey. I don't want every game to be one where everyone has to be all happy joy joy with each other. While I don't participate in that activity or approve of it, I don't see why others should not be given the choice.

If a UI update did occur though, wanted by the majority of the playerbase, I'd be happy with that. If it wasn't wanted, I'd be happy with that too. I learned my lesson about paying attention to my purchases a long, long time ago.

You don't know the definition of the word.

Again, last I checked, this comes down to player inattentiveness, not a scam, let alone someone breaking the ToS. You defended those who did the latter, not me.

Once more, troll harder.

Not how it happened, but it's ok lol. I love your double standards!!!

Not how it happened, but it's ok lol. I love your double standards!!!

Using "lol" repeatedly makes you look less bright than you think it does; same for putting player inattentiveness and its results on the same level as someone who DELIBERATELY breaks or ignores the ToS, for weeks on end.

The double standard is all yours, surely not mine.

I believe that in an MMO there should always be the possibility for moving around the edges of light and dark into the grey. I don't want every game to be one where everyone has to be all happy joy joy with each other. While I don't participate in that activity or approve of it, I don't see why others should not be given the choice.

If a UI update did occur though, wanted by the majority of the playerbase, I'd be happy with that. If it wasn't wanted, I'd be happy with that too. I learned my lesson about paying attention to my purchases a long, long time ago.

I don't have any idea what you mean...that all seemed rather random?!

Like I asked earlier, since the GTN is the absolute only place in game that fractional currency is listed, and that is 99% of the "scam", who would be upset if it were to be removed?

I doubt half the players give a flip, this is simply a move to make it more difficult for the scammers.

I'll leave this here yet again:

You didn't answer my question. I didn't ask you if you thought it was a scam or not. You've clearly said you don't multiple times. I asked you why you thought people were labeling the most expensive price to look similar to the least expensive price. Why are people listing mats at a price of 9,000,123 when the lowest price is 90,001.23? Why do you think people are doing this?

You don't have to answer, but I'd appreciate your insight.

Using "lol" repeatedly makes you look less bright than you think it does; same for putting player inattentiveness and its results on the same level as someone who DELIBERATELY breaks or ignores the ToS, for weeks on end.

The double standard is all yours, surely not mine.

Mine?! How lol? And I use the "lol" in this case to demonstrate how funny I think it is that you have been called out for your hypocrisy and double standards. That had nothing to do with either scam or exploit, everything to do with you feeling free to accuse me of being a probable cheater (which I was not), since my stance was one of leniency on the Ravagers exploit, yet when someone accuses you of possibly being a scammer here, you've freaked out "lol".

Intentionally scamming others is just as much a violation of the ToS as exploiting the Ravagers was...it's just harder (allegedly) to prove.

Please feel free to learn to read, learn the definition of "scam", in addition to thinking ahead before accusing others of something just because they don't agree with you.

You'll go farther in life that way.

I wasn't accusing you of anything - I just couldn't be bothered righting out the many reasons that popped into my head over where your particular train of thought was coming from so I put three of them in brackets, admittedly I did forget the etc. in the brackets, but if you're just using that one part of all I wrote to have a "get out of jail free" card then fair enough.

Plenty of folk have put up the definition of scam already and I'm not going to write it out again. So far all you've said boils down to the GTN being unscammable.

Where as I think it is a scam because that is the exact intent of the person putting up the listing in the first place - we both agree inattentiveness plays its part but I don't think that's where the buck stops.

Plus passive aggressive comments are disappointing throw outs when you're failing in a conversation.

You didn't answer my question. I didn't ask you if you thought it was a scam or not. You've clearly said you don't multiple times. I asked you why you thought people were labeling the most expensive price to look similar to the least expensive price. Why are people listing mats at a price of 9,000,123 when the lowest price is 90,001.23? Why do you think people are doing this?

Of course he knows the answer, everyone does. It's meant to scam people.

We can only assume what is the intent of the seller, unless of course, people around these parts are somehow capable of locating and reading the seller's mind from far away. :p

IMO, that part is actually irrelevant.

What matters most for me is the listing, and as pointed out repeatedly, said listing doesn't interact with the would-be buyer, doesn't try to mislead the would-be buyer, nor does it change its price or the item listed midway.

There is ONLY the listing. That's all that matters. No info is being omitted, manipulated, etc etc, and no communication prior to the would-be buyer's purchase and the seller occurs.

Again...

GTN = Scam free, not player inattentiveness free

Plus passive aggressive comments are disappointing throw outs when you're failing in a conversation.

The one who failed in a conversation was you, surely not me. Hence, your need to infer I could potentially be a scammer.

Try harder.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

We can only assume what is the intent of the seller
So what was the reason? Answer his question...his example is a perfect one of the scam. Anyone, even you, could probably take a shot at guessing that players intent huh? What do you think it is?

So what was the reason? Answer his question...his example is a perfect one of the scam. Anyone, even you, could probably take a shot at guessing that players intent huh? What do you think it is?

Had you not cut the rest of the post... :rolleyes:

... unless of course, people around these parts are somehow capable of locating and reading the seller's mind from far away. :p

IMO, that part is actually irrelevant.

What matters most for me is the listing, and as pointed out repeatedly, said listing doesn't interact with the would-be buyer, doesn't try to mislead the would-be buyer, nor does it change its price or the item listed midway.

There is ONLY the listing. That's all that matters. No info is being omitted, manipulated, etc etc, and no communication prior to the would-be buyer's purchase and the seller occurs.

Again...

GTN = Scam free, not player inattentiveness free

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Had you not cut the rest of the post... :rolleyes:

The rest of your post didn't answer his question either...lots of words don't mean you answered it.

I asked you why you thought people were labeling the most expensive price to look similar to the least expensive price.

I don't have any idea what you mean...that all seemed rather random?!

Like I asked earlier, since the GTN is the absolute only place in game that fractional currency is listed, and that is 99% of the "scam", who would be upset if it were to be removed?

I doubt half the players give a flip, this is simply a move to make it more difficult for the scammers.

OK apologies, it's late here and I'm getting tired.

Is it just the fractional part that's causing the issue here? I only mentioned that as a reply to Darth wickeds query over whether the listing was misleading. It is, as you pointed out, probably only used by scammers.

What I was trying to say is I don't mind playing inside a world where these kind of scams exist in game but then I came here from a game where the developers actually accepted and almost condoned this kind of behavior so maybe my gaming view is a little skewed when it comes to market place listings. I'm used to it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.