Can someone give me a discipline breakdown?

HyperSonicOne

Well, seems like you've got your next writing project lined up.

Oh yeah that was helpful.

To answer the OP's question (to the best of my ability):

All three specs are DPS specs, meaning that all three are capable of dishing out considerable damage. This damage dealing capability however is limited by the mobility of the opponent that you happen to be fighting. So while this class may shine particularly well in PvE, it is not at its best at the moment in PvP (in fact, as near as I can recall it was never particularly good at PvP, mainly due to the classes lack of roots and stuns when compared to other classes).

The Fury Spec's most distinguishing feature, and the feature that makes it shine particularly well (when compared to the other specs) in PvP is the second jump attack that acts as a Gap Closer. Such gap closers are at a premium, and the Fury Spec gets two of them so that is an added plus in its favor. Granted the Fury Spec doesn't get access to this second gap closer until level 26, so it is a mixed blessing.

Annihilation on the other hand is your Damage over Time spec. Many of its abilities will inherently cause Bleeding or other debilitating effects to occur on the opponent. Annihilation also has the added advantage of reducing Force Charge's minimum range by 10 meters, meaning you can hit people with it that are a lot closer to you than you normally would be capable of.

Carnage is arguably the most powerful of the three specs at the current time. This is because it grants the Ataru Lightsaber Form which gives you among other things a 3% increase to your Alacrity making your attacks hit faster. It is also the spec that directly increases the raw damage output of many of your abilities. Unfortunately it lacks any direct buffs to your Gap Closer or an additional gap closer, which in turn makes it the single worst spec to bring into PvP, even if it is the best spec for PvE.

For reference:

Fury = Concentration

Annihilation = Watchman

Carnage = Combat

I used the Imperial names because those are what I am most familiar with due to the fact that I used to have (and am working on recovering) a level 55 Marauder.

Edited by XantosCledwin

Oh yeah that was helpful.

To answer the OP's question (to the best of my ability):

All three specs are DPS specs, meaning that all three are capable of dishing out considerable damage. This damage dealing capability however is limited by the mobility of the opponent that you happen to be fighting. So while this class may shine particularly well in PvE, it is not at its best at the moment in PvP (in fact, as near as I can recall it was never particularly good at PvP, mainly due to the classes lack of roots and stuns when compared to other classes).

The Fury Spec's most distinguishing feature, and the feature that makes it shine particularly well (when compared to the other specs) in PvP is the second jump attack that acts as a Gap Closer. Such gap closers are at a premium, and the Fury Spec gets two of them so that is an added plus in its favor. Granted the Fury Spec doesn't get access to this second gap closer until level 26, so it is a mixed blessing.

Annihilation on the other hand is your Damage over Time spec. Many of its abilities will inherently cause Bleeding or other debilitating effects to occur on the opponent. Annihilation also has the added advantage of reducing Force Charge's minimum range by 10 meters, meaning you can hit people with it that are a lot closer to you than you normally would be capable of.

Carnage is arguably the most powerful of the three specs at the current time. This is because it grants the Ataru Lightsaber Form which gives you among other things a 3% increase to your Alacrity making your attacks hit faster. It is also the spec that directly increases the raw damage output of many of your abilities. Unfortunately it lacks any direct buffs to your Gap Closer or an additional gap closer, which in turn makes it the single worst spec to bring into PvP, even if it is the best spec for PvE.

For reference:

Fury = Concentration

Annihilation = Watchman

Carnage = Combat

I used the Imperial names because those are what I am most familiar with due to the fact that I used to have (and am working on recovering) a level 55 Marauder.

Thanks. I'm running concentration now which let's me beat down enemies before getting completely destroyed. I might try wathcman later.

I would just like to add a few things to your lovely description of the disciplines,

Annihilation - You get some cute self-heals then succumb to your death.

Carnage - You leap in, scare the pants off the enemy which then leads to your body being bombarded with a cocktail of hard stuns and roots. You are quickly focused by kill-hungry enemies and succumb to your death.

Fury - Your entrance into the warzone provokes cries of amazement and curiosity as spectators see your Shii-Cho form icon next to your name. The enemy shouts, "Quick! Kill the weird thing!!" You are pounced upon by countless Serenity Shadows who titter as their dots replenish their health bars and drain yours. You succumb to your death, only after watching your auto-crit 12k Furious Strike be parried by a Shadow's Deflection.

Edited by Cotlu-Hunlon

Also some more info.

Anni: Sustain DPS (DoT). Most tanky of the 3 specs because when your bleeds crit they heal heal you though the heals should be beefed up a bit. This spec used to be really fun because is had an awesome flowing feeling to it. No with force tend and the DoT spread on smash it feels clunky and unfun. Also rupture no longer has a CD.

Carnage: hybrid between burst and sustain DPS. Current for me it's the most fun to play because it has the least amount of buttons you have to have for core rotation and has decent damage between burst cycles. However, of the 3 specs it has the least amount of up time do to all the CC/roots/KBs. Also, since they nerfed the damage and lowered the CD of ravage it's harder to shut down the burst because your burst won't involve ravage anymore.

Fury: burst DPS. Has really nice burst but way to many filler ability a to set up. This spec is no longer an AOE burst but has really nice single target burst. You can still use smash it just won't hot as hard.

Also note the skill berserk. It does 3 different things depending what spec you are but what ever it is will grant 6 charges of it.

Anni: your next 6 bleeds will autocrit.

Carnage: your next 6 abilities will have 30% alacrity. Also massacre and sweeping slash only costs 1 rage.

Fury: builds 2 rage per tick and grants 3 stacks of shockwave. ( name actually change for marauders but I forget what it's called now.)

Edited by Ld-Siris

So now my question is, which utilities should be used for PvP?

That is a debatable question. Now that I have my level 55 Marauder back these are the Utilities I plan on experimenting with in PvP:

Key: Sith Marauder / Jedi Sentinel

Skillful:

Cloak of Carnage / Jedi Enforcer

Cloak of Rage / Jedi Crusader

Defensive Forms / Defensive Forms

Masterful:

Cloak of Annihilation / Jedi Promulgator

Defensive Roll / Defensive Roll

Heroic:

Brooding / Contemplation - must have for all specs, and for all modes of play

and either Blood Ward / Zealous Ward, or Expunging Camouflage / Expunging Camouflage

The above Utilities should be viable for all three specs as the vast majority of them revolve around damage mitigation, enhancing Cloak of Pain / Rebuke, or allowing you to use your Fury / Centering more freely.

Edited by XantosCledwin

That is a debatable question. Now that I have my level 55 Marauder back these are the Utilities I plan on experimenting with in PvP:

Skillful:

Masterful:

Heroic:

and either Blood Ward / Zealous Ward, or Expunging Camouflage / Expunging Camouflage

The above Utilities should be viable for all three specs as the vast majority of them revolve around damage mitigation, enhancing Cloak of Pain / Rebuke, or allowing you to use your Fury / Centering more freely.

I wouldn't recommend Brooding, as it is so inferior to the other utilities you can get.

The whole AC is not PvP oriented. Here is why:

-> Watchman is a pure(well almost) DoT discipline. You simply won't have time to put all those DoTs on enemies.

-> Combat is unique. It heavily relies on procs and on 3s of DOOM. Those 3s are its Weakness-you get CCd then, you become useless. And relying on procs isn't really the best tactic in PvP either...

-> Concentration is good at burst and only at that. But what with all these DCDs flying around, it's just too easy to shut down.

Not to mention the general problem with mobility(not so pronounced at Conc due to it getting a second leap), sticking to a target etc. Sentinel is just too easy to counter right now and Hence is trash tier in PvP.

Do PvP gods approve?

Skillful:

Masterful:

Heroic:

You shouldn't advice people on things you haven't tried out yet.

For new players: the discipline choices in quoted message are very VERY bad in most cases !!!!

Exception: 1. Defensive forms (probably the only "must have")

2. Defensive roll