How important is Light vs Dark?

Klaleara

I'm playing a Sith Operative, and I'd like to think my character is very loyal to the Empire, and will do what it takes to not be noticed as an Operative.

With that, I run immediately into the issue where half the choices I want to make are Dark (Being loyal to the empire), and some being Light (Not outright killing everyone I see).

So, do I really have to pick a side? Or can I just play my character without much consequence?

The only real way it matters is some gear requires a certain level light or dark alignment. In terms of story I think your choices may affect fights (the only one that comes to mind is in the Depths of Maanan flashpoint where you can avoid a fight) where a dark choice takes you one way and the light choice another.

For me I tend to do what you're doing. I make an internal story for my character (my Trooper does what's best for the republic which has pretty much ended up with her being neutral, my JK was the good choice no matter the cost which made him max out LS and my SI started off as looking out for himself before moving to looking out for the Empire, which had him max out DS) and let that guide me in the conversation options. I don't tend to worry about alignment as far as gear goes.

Really, it only matters for your relics. Outside of that, play as you choose to play. It's not like KOTOR where you get much better gear if you go all one way or the other - SWTOR really has very little in the way of gear that actually takes your side into account. It's almost all story-based.

By the way - The Lightside Sith Warrior story is ten times better than the darkside version.

As has been said, it makes very little real difference, other than some items that can only be used by a certain alignment - but equivalent non-aligned versions are also available.

As far as loyalty to the Empire is concerned, my LS Assassin is very loyal to the Empire, but she works to make the Empire less violent. (According to the story - actually she doesn't give a crap. :) )