Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

What's your Favorite Boss (and Least Favorite)

There's probable anther thread but it's probable not up to date and plus I'm to lazy to find it :p.

As the title says, what is your favorite and/or least favorite. Also give a little reason why. It can be mechanics, VA, music, setting, or whatever. I'm curious. So I will start:

Favorite: Gate Commander Draxus (all modes especially NiM)

Reason: Voiced by Steve Blum, the ultra hamminess of the encounter is epic. Mechanic wise while straight forward is fun due to the amount of phases it has with multitudes of adds with varying abilities which makes it a fun symphony of movement. Plus the music is the bomb. (If anyone knows the name of the music let me know)

Runner up: Coloner Vorgoth (Minesweeper!)

Least: Not sure will fill in once I think on it :)

Edited by FerkWork

Currently my favorite boss is the Sword Squadron. It's a really dense fight without any unfair mechanic. I like the "David against Goliath" feel beating these two huge walkers. It also reminds me of Kephess in EC.

Honorary mention goes to Jarg and Sorno for the best in-fight banter ever :D

My least favorite boss is Olok in S&V. That fight is just way too dragged out and boooooring. It has no interesting mechanics whatsoever and my ears start bleeding at "I found this at Ord Mantell"

Operator IX HM and NiM. The color phases and cooperation between players to succeed these, that fight is just so much fun. Basically interacting with the environment during a boss fight.

Runner up would be: Calphayus, Tirans and Titan-6 all 3 HM and NiM. Again the interaction with the environment and the coordination between people.

Least: tanking brontes when destroying orbs with the hand. I hate doing that.

Most of bosses got their annoying part, that's the main prob to decide.

If i can list:

Phase 2 Dread Council

Burn phase Brontes

S&V was my favourite so i'll decide Styrak Nim cause it's always a pleasure to kick his *** down again and again ! Even if it's very repetitive.

(Raptus for vocal ? :cool:)

Edited by Siaa

Favorite: without question Calphayus. Loved the whole past and future interactions. Runner up for me is Soa.

Least favorite: Nefra. I hate cleanse fests. Hate them. Runner up hmm...there aren't many I truly despise. Maybe Malaphar since I think the fight is too easy.

Edited by Shwarzchild

Since everyone is listing every Op:

ETERNITY VAULT

Soa wins, while the Ancient Pylons lose. How are ancient pylons even considered a boss i'll never know.

KARRAGAS PALACE

Jarg + Sorno for the favourite, with Foreman Crusher being least favourite. There's something really annoying about a boss who has a thing for throwing the tank around.

EXPLOSIVE CONFLICT

Kephess fight = best fight, though those damn tanks are my least favourite simply because they stopped many a pug group that I tried to get the Aratech Nightscythe with.

TERROR FROM BEYOND

Favourite would be Operator IX. Dread guards is fun and all, but Op IX will always have a special place in my heart... as that one fight I could never kill :p

Least favourite goes to Kephess. His fight is the least inspired of the instance and brought on the running gag of Kephess will always return.

SCUM AND VILLAINY

Favourite goes to thrasher, cause I pulled aggro once and dealt 10k dps back in the 2.X cycle. Fun times.

Least favourite for Olok because the fight takes way too long.

DREAD FORTRESS

Nefra for least favourite, as its a dummy parse that doesn't need any effort at all. Brontes for favourite because its the most interesting of the fights (closely followed by Draxus)

DREAD PALACE

I don't have a least favourite. Since most boss fights are on a 1-10 scale, I'd give every fight in DP is given an 8 because of the interesting mechanics (besides council). Too bad the difficulty wasn't really there, otherwise it would have been full of 10s. I'll give my favourite to NiM Council though.

THE RAVAGERS

Favourite is Master Blaster. Something about that fight that is just really fun.

Least favourite is Torque. HM Torque as a melee DPS (even though its a vanguard) is just a test of how well you can avoid standing still for 3 seconds at a time.

THE TEMPLE OF SACRIFICE

Revan wins for best fight because HK and insanely difficult in HM

Revanite Commanders loses because only 30% of the fight is actually interesting at all, and only in Hard Mode.

OVERALL VICTORS

Top 5:

Revan Reborn

Dread Council

Master Blaster

Operator IX

Warlord Kephess

Bottom 5:

Kephess the Undying

Ancient Pylons

Olok

Revanite Commanders

THE DAMN ENHANCED VRBLTHR FROM CZERKA MELTDOWN (haha, you thought I forgot that one didn't you!)

Okay, here my top 3 favorite boss Encounter and why:

1. Operator IX (Asation HM): I never never never was this happy ever again when this junk robot finally dies in our first guild kill. The hole Fight was a challenge of personal performence, coordination and the hole fight itself is challenging and pure awesome!

2. Titan-6 (HM/NiM): Like the Operator IX a fight with a lots of movement going on. The soft enrage - just hilarious like the hole boss standing there like a cooler Version of the Terminator. I remember in the old days (Hard Mode) one of our damage dealers dies early at the fight, br cooldown...and we burned him down with 3 Man.

And last but not least

3. Warlord Kephless (all appearances): The hole thing with this Trandoshan was also just hilarious - his comebacks over and over again and the awesome challenge back then at denova hm/nim. Totally a Boss to remind to.

These are my choices from among the NiM bosses.

Favorite:

1. Operator IX

By far my favorite fight. It presents coordination challenges and challenges for all three roles. I've spend many sleepless nights thinking about the best way to assign the four colors to the raid group. Different assignments can lead to very different strategies, which makes the fight interesting in different ways.

2. Warlord Kephess. This fight holds a special place in my heart. I consider it my first major accomplishment in this game, having cleared it in two different groups just before 2.0 was released (mdps in one and rdps in the other). The fight has many phases, even in story mode. It was probably the most satisfying kill I've had in this game.

Least favorite

1. Colonel Vorgath

Due to the Overload mechanic from the Demolitions Drone, all groups proceed in this fight by simply moving up the side of the map (usually the left side). This effectively removes the puzzle part of what was supposed to be a puzzle fight. Highly disappointing.

2. Nefra

First bosses of raids don't have to be easy. In fact, Nefra is exceptional in being uninterestingly easy. Consider Zorn & Toth, Writhing Horror, Dash'Roode, and Bestia. All of those fights are interesting and require at least some coordination and effort on the part of the raid group members. Nefra was such a joke, further compounded by the exploit and subsequent farming.

Without question, my golden triad:

Blaster HM (for tactics and voice acting)

Tyrans NiM (for most beatiful soft enrage mechanic in game)

Revan HM (for simply most challenging fight yet)

Deserves to be mentioned:

Gharj (that was fun back in good old Columi days)

Fabricator (tower of Annoy game is never bad)

non-nerfed-2nd-boss-of-Lost-Island-whatever-his-name-was (ah the nostalgy)

this-new-bonus-boss-from-BoR-HM-his-name-is-just-bad (dont nerf it plox)

Most hated:

Olok (ridiculously slow and boring)

Favorite: Pre-nerf LR-5 Sentinel Droid and pre-nerf NiM Grob'thok, just because they don't exist anymore and absolutely should.

Least: NiM Styrak. Only fight I can remember that had a random chance to bug out and instantly wipe you, and there's nothing you can do about it. Executing perfectly for 12 minutes in the extremely stressful chain phases only to wipe on the last one due to a bug and fail a speed run. Proof.

Most Favorite: Gotta go with Mentor from Directive 7. Classic FP bosses didn't have that many great mechanics, but Mentor stood out of the pack by having crazy stuff going on with a ton of running and fighting all over the place. His balance was also good for a Flashpoint boss.

For Ops I'd say Dread Council as it had a ton of different mechanics. Good, strong finale for an otherwise lackluster story arc.

Least Favorite: Nefra - she's a total yawner of a fight. Almost completely tank 'n spank both on SM and HM. I'd love for the "group up in front of her" mechanic to be in with SM/HM as well (but with obviously way more tolerance for error).

Unhonourable mention goes to Underbugger for obvious reasons.

Edited by Excise

Least favorite: The TFB tanking. Just boring all around, practically afk as tank, and long on top of it.

Favorite: Styrak. First memorable dialog from the Dread Masters and one of the first fights where I really learned to use visual cues as a tank (kel dragon head tilting before spit).

Edited by bdatt

least favorite boss is Lord Modo of KDY

best favorite was the Darth Malgus, but since they remove the ''kill only with grenade'' is none

for OPs

least favorite last boss of Dread Palace

most favorite Kephess of EC

Edited by Kissakias

My all time favourite will probably always be Soa from Eternity Vault. His dialogue is great, the different phases are great, the mechanics are great.

Honourable mentions to:

Jarg and Sorno from Karaggas Palace

Firebrand + Stormcaller from Explosive Conflict

Operator IX from Terror From Beyond

Brontes from Dread Fortress

Raptus from Dread Palace

Bulo from The Ravagers

Sword Squadron from Temple of Sacrifice

ABSOLUTE LEAST FAVOURITE: Olok the Shadow from Scum and Villainy. It just takes so damn long and there's like 50% up time 50% waiting around during the fight.

My far favourite Boss is and will always be Xenoanalyst II.

Why ? Because he just thanks us for battling him ! :) (Or, rather, his image ?)

Any time I get out of this fight (if succeeded) I have a good feeling. :)

Operator XI is my second favourite boss.

Close behind him the Terror From The Deep.

My by far least favourite boss is Vorgath from Denova, and not far behind him in ranking is Kephess himself.

I didn't play the full Revan storyline through so far, so I can't judge about the new bosses yet.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

My fave to tank (Jugg) is the Security Chief, second boss on Czerka Corp Labs. Lots of jumping around and avoiding blue circles. Gotta stay frosty.

My fave to heal (sorcerer) is Battle Lord Kreshan, final boss on Hammer Station. I stand on side and overload the reinforcements right off the platform as soon as they land. LOL It never gets old!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.