Server Pops Too Low - Remove Shards

Waypoc

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 95% sure that 95% of the posters here don't have any "shards" on their servers. The explanations are provided in posts before mine, but just wanted to give it a push in the right direction.

If you do have a shard, you can check it by opening your map - if your area has a (1) or (2) number after the name, then you have shards. If it just says "Hoth" then it's the only shard on your server and can't help if theres only 2 players.

/signed

I play on Jung Ma, which is one of the heavy load servers, and it always feels like there are only a few people around. This is extremely detrimental to the game's future, and I am a bit concerned that with all the testing that has been done, Bioware hasn't figured this out yet.

I have had more human interaction in games that were FAILING than I have in this game, and that is not a good thing. Even games that have had big problems and ended up F2P have provided more community interaction than you get in SWTOR chat.

This needs a fix fast Bioware, I hope you are listening...

And there is no official explanation how they gonna solve the problem, devs are keeping silent.

Would people stop saying this game is a single player game please?

This is an MMO, so it can be whatever you want it to be.

1. The fact that you do not see that many people does not make this a single player game. I only saw a couple dozen of people in WoW from level 1 to level 85. Everybody else was in Org/Storm.
  2. BW has stated that the majority of people are around level 30.
  3. I do not think that the server population gives any indication as to faction. If you are having trouble seeing people on your server, it could be most of them are on the other side.....How do you know that is not the case?
  4. Using the Star Wars name brings NEW people to the MMO scene. Do you really want to bring NEW people into a game where they have to sit for hours to finish a quest?

I do not have that much time on my hands anymore. I only have about a couple of hours to play during peak hours. If they remove shards, I know MANY people will quit if they have to wait for hours to finish their quests. I would personally quit and try again months later.

BW needs to focus on the majority.

I'm 95% sure that 95% of the posters here don't have any "shards" on their servers. The explanations are provided in posts before mine, but just wanted to give it a push in the right direction.

If you do have a shard, you can check it by opening your map - if your area has a (1) or (2) number after the name, then you have shards. If it just says "Hoth" then it's the only shard on your server and can't help if theres only 2 players.

Yes exactly as it is the case when server has a low to standard pop. Zones are heavily instanced if more then 80 players are playing. So its the same..Low pop or Very high pop server give the same effect.

Would people stop saying this game is a single player game please?

This is an MMO, so it can be whatever you want it to be.

I do not have that much time on my hands anymore. I only have about a couple of hours to play during peak hours. If they remove shards, I know MANY people will quit if they have to wait for hours to finish their quests. I would personally quit and try again months later.

BW needs to focus on the majority.

You are wrong.Majority are hard core MMO players who have been playing for years before SWTOR got released. And you are wrong by saying the ppl would quit cause the cant finish the qs.You never need to wait for hours to finish the quest. It easily solved by faster respawn time. Its a matter of minutes.

If u cant play during the peak hours comeback l8r when u have the time. Why should majority be doomed to play a single player game which is false called MMO?

You are wrong.Majority are hard core MMO players who have been playing for years before SWTOR got released. And you are wrong by saying the ppl would quit cause the cant finish the qs.You never need to wait for hours to finish the quest. It easily solved by faster respawn time. Its a matter of minutes.

If u cant play during the peak hours comeback l8r when u have the time. Why should majority be doomed to play a single player game which is false called MMO?

Again, how is this a falsely advertised MMO? Numerous times BW advertised this as a MMO with more focus to the story. Do people just see "Star Wars" + "MMO " and assume it equals "WoW Clone with lightsabers"?

And again, you overlooked the fact that I only saw a couple dozen people in WoW from 1 to 85. According to everybody here, WoW would be considered a single player game too. I quested entirely on my own in WoW on a character.

Um I have a job and a life. I am ALWAYS playing at peak hours. I cannot simply come back later, because I would never get to play!

I've not read the thread but I am just posting my 2c.

In short: I agree, I think we're at the point where there's a nice spread of people at different levels now and not everyone is camping k'lor'slugs in the tomb of Ajunta Pall. I often find myself going nearly an hour without seeing anyone now, let's lose the phasing.

If it helps I play on the most populated European RP server and there's generally two phases on the planets I've been to so far. So yeah, I'm not just playing on a dead server with nobody around.

Edited by PJEBarlow

Again, how is this a falsely advertised MMO? Numerous times BW advertised this as a MMO with more focus to the story. Do people just see "Star Wars" + "MMO " and assume it equals "WoW Clone with lightsabers"?

And again, you overlooked the fact that I only saw a couple dozen people in WoW from 1 to 85. According to everybody here, WoW would be considered a single player game too. I quested entirely on my own in WoW on a character.

Um I have a job and a life. I am ALWAYS playing at peak hours. I cannot simply come back later, because I would never get to play!

When you level ... after months of relase of cata i presume .... even after a month of game/expansion relase there are a lot o pl around leveling ...and usually i did a lot of world pvp it this time ... here its just all empy at the relase .......

so get real ....

I like the sharding system. General chat works across all shards, so it doesn't affect grouping and I can actually complete quest without tripping over 50 other people working on the same quest. I can log on my 50 shadow put out a call on general to complete my daily heroics and get on with the rest of the day.

Leave it alone, Bioware. Your system is fine

Edited by Soulchilde

Also I approve of sharding. It makes the game much more accessible to a broader range of gamers.

Not only does it help prevent overpopulation issues with quest mobs, it also allows you to not have to say, run into a "hub" and suddenly watch as your computer struggles to load potentially 100's of players.

It's true that sharding eliminates some of the "massive" part, but I'd prefer losing some of that instead of having to worry about avoiding any densely populated areas of the game.

Agree for PvE zone, for Illum though they should only enforce a cap on a number which will impact performance, like the saturation point or whatever the technical term would be.

I think that most PvPers (or at least me) want to experience the feel of a proper GCW with lots of enemies and vast battles.

I am used to 3x24 versus 3x24 in organised groups + pugs both sides....anything smaller scale would be kind of disappointing for a star wars ORvR/PvP planet....

Edit: though I can see that to an extent sharding on PvP worlds can bring number balance for the respective realms/factions.....the cap should be higher is the point I was trying to make.

Edited by Exothermix

I like the sharding system. General chat works across all shards, so it doesn't affect grouping and I can actually complete quest without tripping over 50 other people working on the same quest. I can log on my 50 shadow but out a call on general to complete my daily heroics and get on with the rest of the day.

How sad ....

just play nwn so, or minesweeper its equal fun

On any planet's shard 1 there will be 48 players yet on shard 2 there will be 50 players.

Why is that? Why can't they all play together?

Not everyone shares your opinion that they would like to play on a crowded and maxed out shard. there's probobly a fair number of people who will jump shards because theyre not able to finish quests due to ninja looting or KSing or whatever.

For a game that has apparently sold millions of copies I find it incredibly hard to believe that at 'peak' times on an EU server which is listed as 'heavy population' there are only around 60 people on the fleet. The most populated zone is apparently STILL Coruscant even though I've been 50 since the 4th.

Surely the servers hold more than just a couple of thousand people. This is a MMO. The servers should have ten thousand on them and the 'capital' (fleet) at peak times should have at least several hundred for a brand new triple AAA MMORPG release.

I've started spending half of my time online helping lowbies because there's nothing else to do besides PvP. PvP or returning to help out low level people is the only time I see anyone else. Hoth, Belsavis, Voss, Ilum all have MAX 10-15 people there.

C'mon, this is just ridiculous. MMO - Massively multiplayer. Massively. Multiplayer.

NOT SPoCo - single player occasionally co-op. :rolleyes:

When you level ... after months of relase of cata i presume .... even after a month of game/expansion relase there are a lot o pl around leveling ...and usually i did a lot of world pvp it this time ... here its just all empy at the relase .......

so get real ....

Again, the MAIN focus that has been said time and time again FAR before launch, was the story. Since the story is the main focus, that again has been promoted many times, they want people to take advantage of it. In order to do so, they need to have much more open areas and shards.

I do not want hundreds of people jumping around when I listen to my storyline, shooting things, blowing things up, and so on. Many people agree with this.

Maybe this game is not for you.

I like the sharding system. General chat works across all shards, so it doesn't affect grouping and I can actually complete quest without tripping over 50 other people working on the same quest. I can log on my 50 shadow put out a call on general to complete my daily heroics and get on with the rest of the day.

Seriously, how often does this happen in other MMOs outside of world events and new content patches or expansions? How often do you still care five minutes later?

Yeah there are likely very few shards on any servers right now. I just don't think most people understand the system

Again, the MAIN focus that has been said time and time again FAR before launch, was the story. Since the story is the main focus, that again has been promoted many times, they want people to take advantage of it. In order to do so, they need to have much more open areas and shards.

I do not want hundreds of people jumping around when I listen to my storyline, shooting things, blowing things up, and so on. Many people agree with this.

Maybe this game is not for you.

Story quest are already istanced... so nobody can jump around ....this reply its just pointless..

and saying this game its not for you its really bad for a mmo... maybe you will like the game better when you will find yourself alone in a server ....but anyway funboy are funboy

Edited by Isgarot

Seriously, how often does this happen in other MMOs outside of world events and new content patches or expansions? How often do you still care five minutes later?

Even with shards, I still find myself waiting a long time. I wouldnt mind, but it happens A LOT on my server. I ALWAYS see people around me, all the time. I guess since I level at the same speed as everybody else due to work and responsibilities. I am only level 32, Alderaan was pretty busy when I was there. I even saw a dozen guys on the imperial side (not all at once, but they were all different names).

Even with shards, I still find myself waiting a long time. I wouldnt mind, but it happens A LOT on my server. I ALWAYS see people around me, all the time. I guess since I level at the same speed as everybody else due to work and responsibilities. I am only level 32, Alderaan was pretty busy when I was there. I even saw a dozen guys on the imperial side (not all at once, but they were all different names).

Would love to play on your server then, maybe we should swap, because I am on the highest population RP server on the Euro list and I never see anyone despite it always being "very heavy" load at peak.

Would love to play on your server then, maybe we should swap, because I am on the highest population RP server on the Euro list and I never see anyone despite it always being "very heavy" load at peak.

They could very well be on the other side, or are you above the average level?

I am constantly being pulled into groups by people (I do not mind, I enjoy it), and I already made a few friends out of it.

I only player for an hour and a half yesterday and already added two new people to my friends list. People were everywhere in Nar Shadaa (SP?) and Tatooine

Edited by Nighthawked

The other quests have story to them too....That I and everybody I know likes to listen to.

side quest .... story ??!

Like oh ... i have a new poison ... use it in their water tank ....

Ok ... why .. you are crazy(refuse quest)

I really like when i roll the sith inq and a normal guy tell me to grab him some random object..... in star wars lore he can only expect to die after this...

Edited by Isgarot

I have played WoW for almost 4y on different servers. Dragonmaw, Agamaggan, Frostmane, and they still have nicely pop lowbie zones here.

But try to remember WoW few years back ( i hate i need to do this-but just for a comparison)

While questing in STV how many time have u been attacked, WPL also, Hillsbrad...those were all lowbie zones where u needed to fight for your life.

All hubs are highly populated, and with that new LOLPANDA expansion you need to accept the truth...again they will raise player pop. I personally wont be playing it, but have in mind that wow has never been nor it will be looked as a single MMO even w/o many players in lowbie areas. 11 million base is just 2 huge w/o a SINGLE outdoor instance.

The fact is, seeing is believing...and i had great expectations out of TOR..

Ok bugs will be solved, graphic may be improved, game content etc, BUT the biggest and insurmountable obstacle big as the biggest mountain is interserver sharding and that is reflecting on MMOs lifespan.

Edited by Werra