What is "tank tunnel"

Banderal

Yes, I know, complete newb question, but I've only seen this term pop up in the last couple months. Is it something other than just "oh, target the tank"? Because if that's all it is, then I'm a bit confused why it needed its own special name, so I think I must not understand. :D

In the most simplistic form, it is a strategy to focus all damage on the tank to bypass the guard mechanic. It is usually accompanied with CC/Interrupts on the healer and optimized with high armor penn or internal damage(usually dots).

The reason it was named is because it became one of the three primary strategies in Ranked arena. (Tank Tunnel, Pressure and Hard Swap)

Edited by Xeraz

Except for the term "kiting." I used to think it meant throwing a teammate into the storm of death (sky?) :rak_02:

Actually, this is also exactly what it sounds like. Previously Hunters from WoW use to have a "deadzone" where they couldn't use any ranged abilities within 8 meters, with a max range of like 30 meters.

So you would pull the melee like a "kite" in order to keep them as close to 30 meters as possible without allowing them to fall in the 8 meter range.

Of course things have changed greatly since then. The "deadzone" is gone and almost every warrior class has an in-combat charge.

Edited by Xeraz

Actually, this is also exactly what it sounds like. Previously Hunters from WoW use to have a "deadzone" where they couldn't use any ranged abilities within 8 meters, with a max range of like 30 meters.

So you would pull the melee like a "kite" in order to keep them as close to 30 meters as possible without allowing them to fall in the 8 meter range.

Of course things have changed greatly since then since the "deadzone" is gone and almost every warrior class has an in-combat charge.

Scatter Shot!

Kiting as a strategy predates Wow. Various classes (usually casting clases) in other games could snare an opponent and run around Dot'ing them and doing dmg to them while staying out of range of attacks. You would run around with the opponent following you at a safe distance (like pulling a kite on a string).

Kiting as a strategy predates Wow. Various classes (usually casting clases) in other games could snare an opponent and run around Dot'ing them and doing dmg to them while staying out of range of attacks. You would run around with the opponent following you at a safe distance (like pulling a kite on a string).

Not possible because wow invented mmos. /kitingdebate

Of course things have changed greatly since then. The "deadzone" is gone and almost every warrior class has an in-combat charge.

ah, but before that, in EQ, druids did this in pve for great xp, doing the dot, and run thing, which was also effective in pvp.

Otherwise known as the most cowardly tactic since the invention of tactics.

STAND AND FIGHT, YA LILY-LIVERED KITE-MONKEY!!!

:w_mad: