UI killing FPS: This should be priority #1 to fix

Cupelixx

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what are your grounds for 'betting' that? How much RAM is the current UI using?

Grounds? Armchair Dev does not need grounds!!!

Everything that can be done in code is super easy, and can be done without consideration of cost, maintenance, exisiting code base/libraries or time because code=magic.

:rolleyes:

I just wanted to chime in here and mention that we're *always* looking at the performance of the game, including the UI. It's never something we push to the side.

One thing to keep in mind though when you turn off the UI with control+U you're not just turning off the UI, you're turning off any logic that has to deal with displaying it, so there will always be some frame gain by doing that.

We have some ideas we're looking into for UI performance improvements now; nothing definite yet. It is something we're always keeping in mind and looking at ways to improve it.

Something I'd love as far as the UI is concerned would be the ability to remove the stupid conquest message (zone controlled by X guild) and the stronghold owner message, or at least move/resize them. A runner-up request would be that it at least gets fixed so these messages fade as they're intended to rather than stick around for hours like they sometimes do currently.

Edited by Pscyon

Everything that can be done in code is super easy, and can be done without consideration of cost, maintenance, exisiting code base/libraries or time because code=magic.

Grounds? We don't need no stinking grounds!

The first thing I tested was my cybertech crafting window (have about 100 recipes for earpieces)

Before the patch selecting companions while the window was open would make the game freeze for 8 seconds.

This improved to a 3 second freeze.

Good job Bioware.

I just wanted to chime in here and mention that we're *always* looking at the performance of the game, including the UI. It's never something we push to the side.

One thing to keep in mind though when you turn off the UI with control+U you're not just turning off the UI, you're turning off any logic that has to deal with displaying it, so there will always be some frame gain by doing that.

We have some ideas we're looking into for UI performance improvements now; nothing definite yet. It is something we're always keeping in mind and looking at ways to improve it.

That's great news. Hopefully this will also allow you to finally implement optional chat bubbles for player conversations in /say, /yell and /emote chat channels..

By the way, would it be possible to lift the video memory cap or raise it significantly higher? Currently it is set somewhere around 2GB (I remember it was set that way a couple of years ago for some reason, before the game was able to utilize more, not sure if it was live or beta, though). It might help performance and loading times if one would allow video cards with more than 2GBs of video memory to utilize more in the game (My 12GB video card is starving, for example). Also, a native 64 bit client might be a good idea in this day and age, as would be an optional DirectX 12 render path as they could improve performance for certain users.

While we're at it, it might also be a good idea to lift the FPS cap or raise it to around 200 FPS. Right now it's stuck somewhere around 102-110 depending on the OS.

Glad to see you're still around, by the way, Cory! ;)

Edited by Glzmo

• 2 weeks later...

It's apologist responses like this that irk the hell out of me.

Well, returning player here, used referal link. Was thinking of subbing again, was playing back in November 2014, and had decent fps, I even could raid with decent 35-40 fps in 8 man. Now I can't even run a single flashpoint.

Now, it's red all the time, it to 15 in combat, around 70 when idle. Tried it all, unleashed, dx9, radeonpro, etc, etc, nothing works. Graphic settings do not matter, it's always the same in combat, on high, or low, always between 9-21 fps. Simply can't squeeze more.

My processor is simply too weak to handle it, even tho it was fine pre 3.0.

Spec: AMD Athlon X3 450, 6GB DDR3, AMD Radeon R7 200 series, 5400 rpm hard.

I'll buy SSD tomorrow, see if it changes anything. But I doubt it. I'm not even sure if swapping to I5 would change anything, altough this PC ran it's course. It was weak when I bought it, but I figured I could ran 2011 game on it. And I could. Until 3.0 hit.

It's kinda shame, I love my Powertech tank, love the game, but it's so poorly optimized, and I simply cannot afford dropping 300+dollars on a new MOBO, new CPU, and SSD, and pray it's gonna work.

Good luck to everyone.

Edited by Feanar

• 3 weeks later...

FIX WARZONE FPS DROPS!!!!!!

I7 4790k

MSI GTX 980 TI

16GB 1866mhz

Game on SSD

when i join Pvp my Fps drops from 90 Fps to 17 Fps.

Graphics from Low to Ultra all the same with the Fps !

Edited by Criplar

• 3 weeks later...
I really regret resubbing, I thought this would be fixed by now! An entire guild is falling apart because of it. We are losing members left and right because of poor game performance on high end rigs. Edited by Valdrikr

What's sad is they ignore the subject. And I could warrant that if just a few people were complaining and they had crappy computers. But people with some serious rigs are having issues. So Bioware can't just say "it's your computer, buy a better one", it's actually their game itself.

P.S. one of the strangest FPS drops I've experience is on the Imperial Agent ship. If you run straight in to the console that grants you the SoR and KotFE missions on your ship your FPS drops to like 5 lol. Don't believe me? Try it :p

I tried everything, listed on the forums. I mean...every little thing, from compatibility modes, to nvidia control panel and inspector settings, more RAM, OC my CPU to 4ghz+, install dx9, seriously...everything. ITS NOT WORKING! Does not matter what pc you have, or what dx you have installed, or how strong is your cpu/gpu. ITS NOT WORKING!

Ofc, when i turn off my ui fps goes up like rockets 110 FPS even in combat with full graphics, but i cant play without ui.

Dear EA/Bioware.

Please fix the game engine, or do something with it, because in the current state = unplayable mostly. This game have some awesome features which i like, but i cant play, because i got poor performance. When i able to run Skyrim on Ultra with 200+ mods, or WoW on High in 20 man raid without a single problem, or games with better graphics and higher requirements than SW:TOR....the point is, you need to do something. You are loose customers every day because of this, some of my buddies left the game because of this.

Dont make new expansions, new content or bugfixes until this problem not solved correctly. Because why we need these stuffs if we cant play these stuffs?

Edited by BeeRAether

I did some monitoring, here is the thread if you are interested.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8619787#post8619787

Frame rate is VERY unstable.

Having a stable 20 fps is playable but here we have a huge problem of frame rate doing the rollercoater. plus some heavy spikes not linked to the UI.

Edited by Dimlos

left game back in Dec 2014. wanted to check out if the UI issue is fixed. cant belive they still havent done anything...

Funny how eric posted about reading through all the threads in here, reddit, twitter etc. about the companion nerf while this thread has been in the top pages for a really long time with NO statemets whatsoever.

I repost this because I completly failed, linked this thread instead of the one I was talking about.

I did some monitoring, here is the thread if you are interested.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8619787#post8619787

Frame rate is VERY unstable.

Having a stable 20 fps is playable but here we have a huge problem of frame rate doing the rollercoater. plus some heavy spikes not linked to the UI.

I dont understand why they dont do anything about this. I played wow for 7 years and left it for this game. Now i left this game, because the optimization...what? There is no such a thing, its like a beta game seriously. If you, EA/Bioware want more money, and more players, do something, because nobody want to pay for frustration, because things like this makes the players frustrated.