My personal comments for Bioware...

LordArtemis

Farewell, Lord Artemis.

I may not have always agreed with your opinions over the -- what, has it been years now? -- but I've always respected the fairness of your posts.

I too am feeling burnt-out and bored with the game and might soon join you in unsubbing -- haven't logged on in weeks and I'd like to spend that $16.32/month more productively (and enjoyably -- gotta maximize those hypothetical Utils).

So again, farewell. Perhaps we'll cross paths again in the future.

:(

Happy trails LA and Andryah...

What ever side of the arguments we landed... I am sorry to see you both go.

I have to agree with Tuxs... lately it hasn't been the random names that are unsubbing... the posts I've seen lately are coming from well known posters on the forums...

Whatever side of arguments you land on... I generally find that the people in the forums are the most passionate about the game, and its future... when people (in this case 2 people with long post histories) decide to step away... that should set off a series of alarms at BW. I hope it is.

well well well well.

two of tor's biggest supporters are now giving up on this game what does that tell any of you? bioware has not changed they are digging that hole deeper and deeper for tor. we the players have told them time after time what we want and keep getting ignored. b-bu-but the shadow realms team is going to come in and save the day! no.

there is no saving tor the game has blundered and its time we ask for a sw mmo we really want.

I'm not sure if any MMO team can accomplish either of those, quite frankly. #1 is endemic to software development, period. (Which is why I won't trust a computer to drive cars, for example.) #2 is created by those players who rapidly consume whatever endgame content is released. It simply isn't possible for any dev team to keep up with the most active end game players. And that doesn't mean that those players are somehow wrong, either. It's just an irreconcilable difference between rate of production and rate of consumption.

Not at all, it totally can be done... but not by the current people in charge... because they are amatures...

What do I mean?

Take Star Wars 7, the new movie... the principle photography is done, the major part of filming is complete. A lot of special effects work has been done (or a teaser trailer couldn't have been released.

Some follow up work has to be done, some voice over, some polishing of effects, but the bulk of the work is done. The movie will likely be finished and in the can this summer... only to be released close to Christmas...

Movie companies figured out long ago that you can't wait until last minute and push stuff out the door, you need it done well ahead of time. They don't always get it right, sometimes they do have to push back releases (and when they do, they often do it in 6 month chunks).

The next expansion to SWTOR should already be largely done, it should get perhaps 6 months of polish and bug testing to make it a finished product. Then it should be released next Christmas, by which point they are well on their way to having the NEXT ONE done...

That is how a professional will do it... Bioware didn't even have the details of some things in SoR decided on until 4 weeks prior to launch. That is amateur night if there ever was one.

---

The really sad thing is... at the cost of money right now (for a company the size of EA), a $10 million dollar project, delayed by 6 months, would add about $37,500 in interest carrying costs for being held "in the can" for 6 months.

Big deal, releasing a working, finished product, is going to net you far more than $37,500 than pushing it out the door and releasing a bug ridden mess will.

---

As far as being able to release "enough content", sure they can... You just need more than one team working on it...

Every year, like clockwork, a new Call of Duty comes out, but each year is developed by a different "team". They take turns, because it actually takes 2 years to make a Call of Duty game. So two teams working on an every other year release schedule allow them to release a new CoD every year. Now you could argue that each release isn't ground breaking, but then it doesn't have to be, they make a billion dollars a year, clearly it is what the customers want.

So you would need several teams producing content, you'd need to stagger the content such that they aren't overlapping with each other. You'd have major releases and minor releases, and side releases that don't get in the way of the big stuff. A good example of a side release is GSF or GSH, neither of which add planets or other main story. Daily areas like CZ-198 also don't really play into the game and can be done as well.

While you're doing that, you have two main teams working on class stories, with the goal of releasing a full chapter each year. But since it will take two years to do a full chapter of class stories (with editing, VO work, bug fixing, etc), you need two teams to get one out each year.

This of course costs money, but it would also net EA millions of subs, since if you had that kind of investment, I think everyone and their brother who loves Star Wars would be here.

Not at all, it totally can be done... but not by the current people in charge... because they are amatures...

What do I mean?

Take Star Wars 7, the new movie... the principle photography is done, the major part of filming is complete. A lot of special effects work has been done (or a teaser trailer couldn't have been released.

Some follow up work has to be done, some voice over, some polishing of effects, but the bulk of the work is done. The movie will likely be finished and in the can this summer... only to be released close to Christmas...

Movie companies figured out long ago that you can't wait until last minute and push stuff out the door, you need it done well ahead of time. They don't always get it right, sometimes they do have to push back releases (and when they do, they often do it in 6 month chunks).

The next expansion to SWTOR should already be largely done, it should get perhaps 6 months of polish and bug testing to make it a finished product. Then it should be released next Christmas, by which point they are well on their way to having the NEXT ONE done...

That is how a professional will do it... Bioware didn't even have the details of some things in SoR decided on until 4 weeks prior to launch. That is amateur night if there ever was one.

---

The really sad thing is... at the cost of money right now (for a company the size of EA), a $10 million dollar project, delayed by 6 months, would add about $37,500 in interest carrying costs for being held "in the can" for 6 months.

Big deal, releasing a working, finished product, is going to net you far more than $37,500 than pushing it out the door and releasing a bug ridden mess will.

---

As far as being able to release "enough content", sure they can... You just need more than one team working on it...

Every year, like clockwork, a new Call of Duty comes out, but each year is developed by a different "team". They take turns, because it actually takes 2 years to make a Call of Duty game. So two teams working on an every other year release schedule allow them to release a new CoD every year. Now you could argue that each release isn't ground breaking, but then it doesn't have to be, they make a billion dollars a year, clearly it is what the customers want.

So you would need several teams producing content, you'd need to stagger the content such that they aren't overlapping with each other. You'd have major releases and minor releases, and side releases that don't get in the way of the big stuff. A good example of a side release is GSF or GSH, neither of which add planets or other main story. Daily areas like CZ-198 also don't really play into the game and can be done as well.

While you're doing that, you have two main teams working on class stories, with the goal of releasing a full chapter each year. But since it will take two years to do a full chapter of class stories (with editing, VO work, bug fixing, etc), you need two teams to get one out each year.

This of course costs money, but it would also net EA millions of subs, since if you had that kind of investment, I think everyone and their brother who loves Star Wars would be here.

here's the thing at the end of the day it's ea and ea doesn't see wow dollars with tor. lets face it tor came out and flopped big time. $300 million dollars wasted on a game that just about the whole mmo community hates. more so look at anytime there's a poll up about what would people want more swg in any of it's systems or tor. guess what one wins? i'll give you a hint it's the one that was open world.

ea see's tor as a waste. why should they spend money on it when it's not going to rake in any money. players are not coming back to tor, those that do are like me come back for a month see how nothing as changed and leave. that leaves just the few people who play it and even then as you can see in this thread you can only push the subs so far before even they get sick and leave.

at this point tor will stay on maintenance mode until disney shows off the next star wars mmo, they know what the fans want now an swg and i'm sure there is one in the works right now. all this community will see are cartel market updates and a handful of small updates that put in a daily area or two.

inorite?! A few loooong time contributors have been going recently. Time for Bioware to **** or get off the pot.

I thought that's what they already did.;)

It is a shock and a shame to see two people such as LA and Andryah leaving the game - the latter in such a permanent fashion. I am not quite at that point yet, but there is not doubt that the debacle of the last two months needs not to be repeated.

SWTOR has always suffered from a communication problem, but I fervently hope that the team learns a valuable lesson here, and attempts to correct this issue sooner rather than later. We can ill afford to lose any more of the people who are/were the most dedicated to the game.

Edited by TravelersWay

inorite?! A few loooong time contributors have been going recently. Time for Bioware to **** or get off the pot.

That's what I was thinking:eek::confused:

I pretty much check on this forum before I play to make sure there isn't a problem awaiting. Over time I have learned to recognize certain member names by the words and actions that they express. It saddens me to see more Vets fly the coup. Whether I agreed with LA or Andryah or not, I at least valued their perspective and intellect that they inserted. ... especially the sarcastic ones :p I wish them both well! :cool:

***tap-tap-tap***

***tap-tap-tap***

Mother !@#$&^!!!!!...........NOW my "Moral Compass " is broke too!!!!!!:mad::eek::mad:

very sad to see that my questing buddy and master crafter will be leaving i do hope you come back LA but if you dont i really understand as i am getting fed up with the game as well. they were making good strides in the right direction then turned and shot off the cliff. its baffling to me how such a thing could happen. i was very happy with the new content and even the slot machines (till the nerf). they got rid of the cost for training skills, then i dont know what happened i used to log in for fun and entertainment and now i log in because i am on automatic payments and keep forgetting to cancel my sub every month.

here's the thing at the end of the day it's ea and ea doesn't see wow dollars with tor. lets face it tor came out and flopped big time. $300 million dollars wasted on a game that just about the whole mmo community hates. more so look at anytime there's a poll up about what would people want more swg in any of it's systems or tor. guess what one wins? i'll give you a hint it's the one that was open world.

ea see's tor as a waste. why should they spend money on it when it's not going to rake in any money. players are not coming back to tor, those that do are like me come back for a month see how nothing as changed and leave. that leaves just the few people who play it and even then as you can see in this thread you can only push the subs so far before even they get sick and leave.

at this point tor will stay on maintenance mode until disney shows off the next star wars mmo, they know what the fans want now an swg and i'm sure there is one in the works right now. all this community will see are cartel market updates and a handful of small updates that put in a daily area or two.

I don't disagree with your points, I was simple addressing the comment that it couldn't be done. Sure it can, for the right investment...