Realistic New Defensive Cooldown For Mercenary/Commando's

TheCasterTroy

Straight to the point with the changes then the reasons why for you who hate a huge explanation of why bla bla bla we all know why we need another defensive cooldown haha.

=========================================================

First, "Chaff Flare" can now be used while stunned (passive ability)

Second, Chaff flare reduces the accuracy of all enemies within 10 meters by 45% for 8 seconds, Activating Chaff Flare while stunned reduces all enemies accuracy within 10 meters by 90% for 4 seconds.

Possibly instead of reducing all enemies accuracy by 90% while stunned give us 90% defense chance instead so its just the merc that is shielded so not to mess up pvp game play and just save the Mercs butt so we aren't insta killed. With this option keep the 45% accuracy outside of being stunned though.

========================================================

Ok my reasoning behind the numbers. The Devs seem persistent on not adding another ability but revamping our current ones like Arsenal Mercs have "Decoy" which makes Chaff Flare absorb next attack and Innovative Ordnance "Degauss" which makes Chaff Flare increases your defense chance by 25% for 6 seconds. So scrap them both put my idea in the Mercenary/Commando utility. It should help mercenaries/commandos be more viable in pvp. the 90% while stunned will definitely save our butts from being insta killed when the opposing group has to 2-4 stealth DPS characters focusing you. I gave the mercs/mandos the 45% accuracy reduction outside of being stunned because it would increase their vaule with a ranked group if they had some kind of contribution besides their dps and the fact that they are always, ALWAYS target number 1. This would help with group utility. To the merc/mando noobs, we have been given alot of mobility in 3.0 , if you aren't kiting while being attacked you don't know how to merc/mando pvp. if you want to stand still and dps roll a Powertech/Vanguard.

Only problem with this is, if you put it as a Utility, it would probably go in the top tier, which is where Thrill of the Hunt and Energy Rebounder are, which are vital for this class to function (along with Stabilized Armor). So, I would propose to remove Degauss and Decoy from the trees, and put both of them as Tier 2 Utilities, removing Infrared Sensors and Heat Dampening. Also a rework to Torque Boosters to increase the movment speed of Hydraulic Overrides by 35% along with the duration increase would go a long way to increasing survivability.

Only problem with this is, if you put it as a Utility, it would probably go in the top tier, which is where Thrill of the Hunt and Energy Rebounder are, which are vital for this class to function (along with Stabilized Armor). So, I would propose to remove Degauss and Decoy from the trees, and put both of them as Tier 2 Utilities, removing Infrared Sensors and Heat Dampening. Also a rework to Torque Boosters to increase the movment speed of Hydraulic Overrides by 35% along with the duration increase would go a long way to increasing survivability.

Your proposal doesn't work in any type of defensive cooldown to survive a focused attack (which is our greatest weakness). Our survivability 1v1 is fine but i would agree that "Torque Boosters" should put our movement at something like 50% as well as still adding 4 seconds to its duration. But The problem is, in ranked pvp (4v4) our lack of defensive cooldowns when focused cant keep us alive long enough to matter. We die so quickly its almost as if it becomes a 3v4 when we are on the team. We need something to survive an initial attack to survive long enough for us to do some damage or the rest of the team to do some damage.... Your thoughts?

Edited by TheCasterTroy

Your proposal doesn't work in any type of defensive cooldown to survive a focused attack (which is our greatest weakness). Our survivability 1v1 is fine but i would agree that "Torque Boosters" should put our movement at something like 50% as well as still adding 4 seconds to its duration. But The problem is, in ranked pvp (4v4) our lack of defensive cooldowns when focused cant keep us alive long enough to matter. We die so quickly its almost as if it becomes a 3v4 when we are on the team. We need something to survive an initial attack to survive long enough for us to do some damage or the rest of the team to do some damage.... Your thoughts?

I personally as a Mercinary in PvP on The Harbinger don't get focused that often, but when I do I tend to just burst the guy down before he can kill me. If i need it i'll use Energy Shield and a few Kolto Shots and Emergency Scan. Since i take Protective Field i get 20% more healing when Energy Shield is up. IMO Zoom_VI's suggestion of 30% flat DR when KO is up would be great, and maybe a longer duration as a utility?

I personally as a Mercinary in PvP on The Harbinger don't get focused that often, but when I do I tend to just burst the guy down before he can kill me. If i need it i'll use Energy Shield and a few Kolto Shots and Emergency Scan. Since i take Protective Field i get 20% more healing when Energy Shield is up. IMO Zoom_VI's suggestion of 30% flat DR when KO is up would be great, and maybe a longer duration as a utility?

really you dont get focused during ranked or 4v4? Our cooldowns with kiting i can hang with just any class but when we are focused and stunlocked in a 4v4 its an insta kill.

really you dont get focused during ranked or 4v4? Our cooldowns with kiting i can hang with just any class but when we are focused and stunlocked in a 4v4 its an insta kill.

Ranked, have not done yet. 4v4's people are smart enough when they start seeing my 17k HSM's and 12k Railshots that they have a bad day and stop attacking me. Damage is my DCD. The Harbinger players are mostly idiots.

Ranked, have not done yet. 4v4's people are smart enough when they start seeing my 17k HSM's and 12k Railshots that they have a bad day and stop attacking me. Damage is my DCD. The Harbinger players are mostly idiots.

I'm guessing that they really must be idiots because you just described the exact opposite of how to win a fight with a merc/mando. (i.e. stop attacking and let him/her free cast)

30% flat DR attached to Kolto overload as baseline to the skill. There is precedent for it and it doesn't require adding new abilities since that is something the devs said they won't do.

I would add that the activating percentage for KO should also be raised some in conjunction with this. Not a lot, but enough to put mercs/mandos out of execute range for a bit.

If Devs balanced around solo ranked where bads meet bads this game would be in a very bad shape. Wait...

i made my own post about this with more detail on its last page.. but here is basically what i was talking about

1- something like the SWG ability prescience= invulnerable for 6 seconds on a 1 min cd forcing a hard switch..

2- Shields that have 99 points where one point is reduced each time the shield is hit, adding 1% point to damage until the shield wears off and the buff remains for 20 seconds from the time the damage first began to stack, forcing a switch or deal with our massive damage boost...

3- Kolto Overload fix= make it usable all the time or at least at 75% if not the very least add some DR to it.. people get damage bonus' right when we can use our KO.

4- do something with our heals.. wayyy too long of a CD and cast on a HORRIBLE heal, when sorcs get no CD and a nice size heal that actually DOES something as well as their bubble.. don't even get me started on that...

our damage is fine... i like what changes we finally got with priming shot and the like.. but we need DEFENSIVE WORK!!! DEEEEE FENNNNN SIVEEEEEEEE

FIX MERCS NOW! ITS BEEN FAR TOO LONG!!!

my post was http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=796201

kolto overrides up to 75%-100 would be a massive, necessary improvement.

adding value to chaff flare via utilities is also a good idea.

when sorcs died too quickly, they got an invulnerability shield and a post-invulnerability shield shield. mercs still have nothing. and everyone knows it. pvping as a merc is pointless.

i made my own post about this with more detail on its last page.. but here is basically what i was talking about

1- something like the SWG ability prescience= invulnerable for 6 seconds on a 1 min cd forcing a hard switch..

2- Shields that have 99 points where one point is reduced each time the shield is hit, adding 1% point to damage until the shield wears off and the buff remains for 20 seconds from the time the damage first began to stack, forcing a switch or deal with our massive damage boost...

3- Kolto Overload fix= make it usable all the time or at least at 75% if not the very least add some DR to it.. people get damage bonus' right when we can use our KO.

4- do something with our heals.. wayyy too long of a CD and cast on a HORRIBLE heal, when sorcs get no CD and a nice size heal that actually DOES something as well as their bubble.. don't even get me started on that...

our damage is fine... i like what changes we finally got with priming shot and the like.. but we need DEFENSIVE WORK!!! DEEEEE FENNNNN SIVEEEEEEEE

FIX MERCS NOW! ITS BEEN FAR TOO LONG!!!

my post was http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=796201

Pass on the shield thing, seems too much as well as an invulnerability But I do think Hydraulic Overrides should give us immunity to stuns as well, so once we do our break and activate HO to get out of Shyt we dont get stunned again, increase its speed to 50%. I agree KO should have an damage reduction of 30% to stack with Stabilized armor (30% damage reduction from AOE and all sources while stunned). Chaff flare should give us a higher defense then the 25% it does under IO.