Petition: Character Name Purge Part II

JidaiDerriphan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the friends list is an even slightly accurate representation of who's online, I would disagree. I am tracking multiple folks on my main for their names and have NEVER seen them on.

Or that they aren't a paying sub who never plays. I'm pretty sure my brother is still subbed (or was for a while afterwards) but hasn't logged on in at least a year.

What makes you suppose that no names would get freed up by another purge? That sounds dumb - many people have left the game since the last purge (and many others have started playing); online game communities are not static.

What makes you think it would clear any up? W/out a list of names, we're all guessing. I know, for a fact, that I have characters on two servers that haven't been touched in months, maybe a year in some cases, but guess what; I'm still subbed. There's some names that won't be affected, since my account is active, barring tonight, where I can't seem to log in at all.

Count me as one who opposes any name purge. Further purges won't open very many "new" names, and it's doubtful that any that are opened are specific names that are wanted by current subscribers.

Players come and players go, but one way to guarantee that they never return is to strip their character names.

I don't agree. I don't really care either. Really how hard is it to come up with a name? what's wrong with you!

There are only so many alt variations of the name Reno by itself that you can do. The Reno on JC is a Level 50 Scoundrel who I've never seen online since 2 months before ROTHC launched.

He could very well be a sub and the name wouldn't get freed up but as it stands, it appears he isn't a sub. The OP's requirements would easily solve that mystery for me.

There are only so many alt variations of the name Reno by itself that you can do. The Reno on JC is a Level 50 Scoundrel who I've never seen online since 2 months before ROTHC launched.

He could very well be a sub and the name wouldn't get freed up but as it stands, it appears he isn't a sub. The OP's requirements would easily solve that mystery for me.

Huh.. there's quite a chance they are in my guild, name sounds highly familiar. I'll check for you and if they are, I'll see what I can do for you.

I'd suggest (Much hate mail inbound I'm sure)... that any account not accessed in 365 days (1 year) is also subject to being cleaned.

Just a suggestion, but if someone hasn't played in over a year it's unlikely they are coming back.

I quit for over a year in 2012. then I came back and have spent hundreds on this game. I probably wouldn't have if my names were all wiped.

I like this. Agreed. Also, I wish they change the character naming restrictions, just in the upper letter thing. It's ugly to name something like... Draxler'zox or Draxler-zox...

I want it this way: Draxler'Zox or Draxler-Zox (at least an option to use the way you want the upper letter).

It's nothing special, but I just want to name a char equal like Qui-Gon Jinn (every new word starting with upper letter)...

Thx!

They don't need a name purge. They need to overhaul their system and divorce PlayerID's from the name. To wit, how Legacy are no longer unique, NAMES need to no longer be unique.

A number of games do this, they need to look at those systems and take notes and make their own implementation of this. Name purges are short-term stop-gaps for a system that is outdated in the land of MEGASERVERS.

Hmm seems more controversial than I thought it would be. Perhaps preferred should have higher limits, as if you have helped the game be what it is your name shouldn't be taken, but for for pure F2P players I think the requirements should be pretty strict. They haven't contributed enough to the game to merit keeping if they aren't going to log on. my 2 cents. (My main reason for this is that a lot of people rushed to 50 at launch and quit in February of 2012), 3 years inactive and they have the best names in the game...

They don't need a name purge. They need to overhaul their system and divorce PlayerID's from the name. To wit, how Legacy are no longer unique, NAMES need to no longer be unique.
Personally, I hate that idea.

I like having a unique name.

Eh, I lost alot of my character names when servers condensed after launch which was annoying but that's life. I don't think its a huge deal as I've been able to settle on decent sounding names on a couple of alts in the past few weeks with a little mashing together of letters and coming up with quasi Star Wars-y sounding names. That said there are number of unoriginal thinkers playing this game and freeing up some of the unused special character and misspelled variations of "Revan' or 'Chaos-reaperxx' will make them happy so whatever.

I'm not a fan of petitions but I think it's a good idea nonetheless to do something about this naming issue.

It's getting increasingly difficult to come up with decent names and I do have to wonder if there isn't something that can be done to improve this situation.

Hmm seems more controversial than I thought it would be. Perhaps preferred should have higher limits, as if you have helped the game be what it is your name shouldn't be taken, but for for pure F2P players I think the requirements should be pretty strict. They haven't contributed enough to the game to merit keeping if they aren't going to log on. my 2 cents. (My main reason for this is that a lot of people rushed to 50 at launch and quit in February of 2012), 3 years inactive and they have the best names in the game...

umm no... they would have had their names purged the first go around. you would only be purging the people that haven't logged in... what a year?? less than a year?? when was that last name purge?? that's why another name purge wouldn't really do that much at all.

I'm not a fan of petitions but I think it's a good idea nonetheless to do something about this naming issue.

It's getting increasingly difficult to come up with decent names and I do have to wonder if there isn't something that can be done to improve this situation.

its called read more books and be more original! easiest solution to the problem!! :D

Considering how easy it is to do, and there's nobody using the purged names, why would you be against this?

It's a huge QoL thing for many people.

I have over 150 toons on subs and 3- f2p accounts, first off I have never had an issue with coming up with a name. second I do have toons that I don't play often but will play even if its only every 100 days.

"its a huge QoL thing"

What a load of crap,. Really how F****** hard is it to come up with a name? Plus as soon as they did this we would get thread after thread of complaints for those who lost there characters name as well as the complaints for those who still did not get the name they wanted. That is assuming the names you or others want will be freed up in the first place which is unlikely to begin with.

If one of my characters had to be renamed I would be more than pissed off. Because whether or not I have played a particular character in the last X amount of days I am still a very active player. I play this game everyday except when in hospital.

Edited by SavantDreadtech

I have over 150 toons on subs and 3- f2p accounts, first off I have never had an issue with coming up with a name. second I do have toons that I don't play often but will play even if its only every 100 days.

"its a huge QoL thing"

What a load of crap,. Really how F****** hard is it to come up with a name? Plus as soon as they did this we would get thread after thread of complaints for those who lost there characters name as well as the complaints for those who still did not get the name they wanted. That is assuming the names you or others want will be freed up in the first place which is unlikely to begin with.

If one of my characters had to be renamed I would be more than pissed off. Because whether or not I have played a particular character in the last X amount of days I am still a very active player. I play this game everyday except when in hospital.

For you maybe not, you obviously don't care about names; but you should know that not everyone is like you. Why are you against the idea: you can just create another name if you lose one - what's so hard about that?

Edited by Savej

its called read more books and be more original! easiest solution to the problem!! :D

That's an awesome answer. I love it.

Done it. Original names all throughout my MMO "career." Then you get that one guy that likes your names. So he

has to have them. Pretty soon any original name you came up with is now out there by someone else. And maybe you've MMO'd with this name for over 10-15 years now, so you are pretty attached to that original name.

But it's gone now because someone else liked it too.

So your biggest complaint is that you are worried about others complaining?

And if you are subbed up, it wouldn't affect you anyhow. But here you state "If one of my characters had to be

renamed I would be more than pissed off." But it's somehow NOT ok for people that have had an original name for years and someone else took it to be mad?

Edited by Khryn

For you maybe not, you obviously don't care about names; but you should know that not everyone is like you. Why are you against the idea: you can just create another name if you lose one - what's so hard about that?

For the reasons given in my post.

All this will bring is thread after thread of complaints for those who lost names

Thread after thread of complaints for those who still did not get the name they wanted.

If I picked a unique name for my toons you have no right to it!

As for your " just create another name if you lose one - what's so hard about that?!

Well back at you, what's so F****** hard with coming up with your own name to begin with?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.