The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Too Old Now?

Mooltan

I naturally migrated to SWTOR after SWG closed and (yes I hate to be one of those SWG was great, people, because I have tried the EMU and still ended up back here) I always look back with rose tinted fond memories.

But I have come to realise it's the people I miss perhaps more than the game.

At the ripe old age that I am, I have become one of those old people I always hated as a teenager. Youthspeak, impatience and knowing absolutely everything about everything have become my staple hates, yet still I end up whiling away hours of my time perhaps better served elsewhere.

Is it too much to ask for a mature, regular group of players to hit the end game and come away with a sense of achievement, rather than the usual PUG frustrations and rolling my eyes so much my wrinkles have become creases. Is the Repopulation my only hope or are there any non-loud, non-opinionated, non-offensive players left ? :p

Take a look at the various Server Forums on this site (or at least the forum for the server you're already on if you're looking to stay put there), they each have a Guild Recruitment Sub-forum, and many times guilds will explicitly advertise that they're made up of older / more mature players.

There's no such thing as 'too old'! I think general chat generally reflects the worst of the populace of the game (or any MMO these days for that matter). However, on the occasional times that I step up when people are ignorant or simply acting like ****s I usually get backup from random strangers. There are great people out here; I think they are just less vocal (e.g. in general chat).

If you happen to play Rep on the Red Eclipse server, send me a message. My guildies and I have been playing together for years (originating from another old-time MMO, Lord of the Rings Online) and would always welcome a like-minded soul. We have people from all age ranges (the youngest currently in their 20's).

In real life, I am happier if I don't look at the comment section below news stories online. In SWTOR, I'm much happier if I switch to anything other than general chat.

Back in this old man's SWG days, MMOs were the domain of nerds. Now it's for the sweaty masses. But it's not all bad. You just have to filter a bit. That being said, I probably wouldn't still be subbed if I didn't have a couple of real-life friends who play too...

Well, I'm twenty-eight, not sure if that would be considered old by most standards....but my mom plays! And we're both from SWG, too! :D We played that for over five years. Ah, memories. I miss my Ent. =( But if you're on the Harbinger, my guild is pretty amazing and full of older players who are both mature, respectful and a lot of fun to play with. Rogue Team Six. Such a great group of people!

I hope you find a guild that suits you, they are out there!

Too old??? My oldest kid is 44, middle-aged with gray hair. Youth itself doesn't bother me, nor does 'youthspeak.' Now entitlement--that's another story. I'm closing in on 66 this spring. People ask me what I'm doing in my retirement and I put my hand over my mouth and say, "well, I play (cough, mumble) strwrz (cough)."

Too old??? My oldest kid is 44, middle-aged with gray hair. Youth itself doesn't bother me, nor does 'youthspeak.' Now entitlement--that's another story. I'm closing in on 66 this spring. People ask me what I'm doing in my retirement and I put my hand over my mouth and say, "well, I play (cough, mumble) strwrz (cough)."

Do they roll their eyes and say, "You do what?" like some of my in-laws do...

That's great to know! I've seen them around and I have several characters who could use a guild...

By all means look me up.

Do they roll their eyes and say, "You do what?" like some of my in-laws do....

They don't even have a clue as to what I am saying. The only person who understands me is my 16 year old grandson. His parents say, "I have no idea what those two are talking about when they get together, but they seem to be having fun. Isn't it nice to see Grampa getting along so well with a teenager?"