The Nature of New Content in SWTOR

Chicktopus

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the new content being brought to the game is just "more of the same"? Sure, there's new story, but once it's done, it's done. Then you're stuck with grinding the same dailies in a new zone. When an expansion is released, I'd typically expect one feature which is not simply additional content to play through, rather is something which brings a breath of fresh air to the game.

Permit me to give a few examples:

- Phasing missions -- Mission progress advances the world around the player with the use of phases.

- Vehicular combat mechanics -- The introduction of these core mechanics, which may gradually seep into gameplay.

- Inter-planetary manual ship piloting -- Nothing elaborate to start, but something to build on, perhaps a few token missions.

- Re-haul of existing planets to add updated features -- e.g. Addition of interactive scenery and mechanics to existing worlds (Tusken Raider attacks, damageable scenery etc.), expanded worlds we can walk through.

Obviously these are off-the-cuff thoughts, there'd need to be proper impact analysis and feasibility studies to each new feature.

To be fair we *have* had Strongholds and GSF which are in a similar vein, but they feel bolted-on and not particularly integral to anything. I'd much rather have new functionality than new content tacked on, else the game feels insubstantial and stretched thin.

but they feel bolted-on and not particularly integral to anything.

You just answered you own question. Some of the features you would suggest would require a reworking of some of the base design and mechanics of the engine. It's just not feasible to even put that on the wall of crazy because the eventual ROI would not even be close to the time and resources that would have to be invested to make them work properly. That is time and resources better spent making content for the game that is more befitting its style and core design.

In the end, gamers need to understand the fact that not every game can, nor should, be everything to every player. Play a game for what it is and what it offers - not for what you think can eventually make the game "better" for you, personally. SWTOR is a themepark MMO with a specific style and design in mind. That will not appeal to every player, but it does appeal to a great many others. Changing that core design philosophy doesn't make any more sense than trying to change a pure sandbox game into a themepark a la the NGE with SWG.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the new content being brought to the game is just "more of the same"? Sure, there's new story, but once it's done, it's done. Then you're stuck with grinding the same dailies in a new zone. When an expansion is released, I'd typically expect one feature which is not simply additional content to play through, rather is something which brings a breath of fresh air to the game.

Permit me to give a few examples:

- Phasing missions -- Mission progress advances the world around the player with the use of phases.

- Vehicular combat mechanics -- The introduction of these core mechanics, which may gradually seep into gameplay.

- Inter-planetary manual ship piloting -- Nothing elaborate to start, but something to build on, perhaps a few token missions.

- Re-haul of existing planets to add updated features -- e.g. Addition of interactive scenery and mechanics to existing worlds (Tusken Raider attacks, damageable scenery etc.), expanded worlds we can walk through.

Obviously these are off-the-cuff thoughts, there'd need to be proper impact analysis and feasibility studies to each new feature.

To be fair we *have* had Strongholds and GSF which are in a similar vein, but they feel bolted-on and not particularly integral to anything. I'd much rather have new functionality than new content tacked on, else the game feels insubstantial and stretched thin.

So... in what other MMO do you get that once or twice a year?

Because that's how often SWTOR's expansions will be coming out.

More of the same?! We've only had 2 new Ops in the last 17 months and it's been almost 2 years since the last WZ came out that wasn't Huttball or an arena...I actually think we need MORE of the stuff people play for...I don't see us having too much of any activity in this game. 3.0 netted players less to do because of the removal/reduction of comms from old Ops.

Most of this is largely due to the black hole of time where the game was GSF focused.. that time appears to have passed and we are getting back on track.

All of that is why i stepped away fromtheg ame for a while as GSF and Space Missions never appealed to me, but for almost a year was the focus for some reason.

It took them to long to realize that isnt what the player base wanted, they are starting to get back to it.

Most of this is largely due to the black hole of time where the game was GSF focused.. that time appears to have passed and we are getting back on track.
3 more months before anything new...how is that "back on track"? Where do your tracks lead exactly?! I agree on the huge content void of 2014...but I don't think 2015 looks any better atm.

3 more months before anything new...how is that "back on track"? Where do your tracks lead exactly?! I agree on the huge content void of 2014...but I don't think 2015 looks any better atm.

Ditto TUX's comments. The whole reason we got the new disciplines system was so content (Level Cap) can be done easier in the future. So if summer 2015 comes and goes without new OPS (NIM does NOT count as new) then I'm going to bet BW is going to crank out new OPS during the holidays again and repeat the same disaster they just did with a dropped MIC and broken game at year end.

Ditto TUX's comments. The whole reason we got the new disciplines system was so content (Level Cap) can be done easier in the future. So if summer 2015 comes and goes without new OPS (NIM does NOT count as new) then I'm going to bet BW is going to crank out new OPS during the holidays again and repeat the same disaster they just did with a dropped MIC and broken game at year end.

If they wait until December again, they may as well not bother to release it. The lack of content at 60 is pathetic and reflects complete incompetence of management.

If they wait until December again, they may as well not bother to release it. The lack of content at 60 is pathetic and reflects complete incompetence of management.

The lack of 60 content may also be a result of the casual playerbase that just wants to do the stories. It seems that lately, the game is catering to that demographic more then any other.

The lack of 60 content may also be a result of the casual playerbase that just wants to do the stories. It seems that lately, the game is catering to that demographic more then any other.

What gave you that idea? :p

The new [sOLO] flashpoints? The "Personal Phase" thingy? No heroics? Enabling people to experience a solo version of the ending, lest they break their index finger doing an operation? Or a flashpoint in a group?

Nahhhh. What you said makes no sense. :cool:

considering they only announced the info regarding that back late last year leading up to the story of revan arc, which is to say the last 6 months, it takes a little time to get back on track

look i garee, we need more, im not questioning that, but just imagine if all the time and effort they put into GSF went into the actual gameplay? That, i hope, is where we are going this year.

one can either be hopeful or *****, i choose to be hopeful

So you are expecting monthly releases of whatever you consider content? (which apparantly doesn't include HM FP's)

No...I'm expecting 6 week updates of NEW content, not tweaks...you know, like they promised us when the game went F2P.

No...I'm expecting 6 week updates of NEW content, not tweaks...you know, like they promised us when the game went F2P.

You won't get them, that's for sure.

Judging from recent reports, they are extending from nine weeks to eleven or twelve weeks.

Will be grand no doubt. :rolleyes:

At this rate, by the time 7.0 arrives -- assuming the game lasts that long -- we'll receive a yearly update featuring a flashpoint or so. Every year, it so feels this game is bleeding manpower, among other things.

Well, lets discount the paid content SOR, which was lots of money for nothing.

PvE: When was the last time we got new ops? 2.4 which is October 2013. When was the last time we go a FP that has mechanics (not some slam bam that can't be even called tank and spank)? August 2013. When was the last daily area we got? October 2013.

PvP: last WZ we got is Quesh Ball which lacked originality and is so much worse than the original. I wont say it is a statistic, but the majority of the feedback on QB is extremely negative, because it failed on one major single design, which is having your goal and the opposition goal being the two furthest points on the map. It just does not work. Last WZ before that was arenas more than a year ago.

Ya there are some cool features like housing on so on, but considering the only PvE content we got over a year was paid and sucks is really bad. PvP is even worse. I am expecting one new ops every 6 month, 1 new HM FP every 4 month, 1 new daily area every 4 month and 1 new WZ every 6 month. This is not a lot by any means. SOR has been out for almost two month. Next version 3.1 has nothing, not even class balance (dps output for a tank is class balance priority apparently). So ya, BW is holding my sub by a thread. I unsubbed half last year, this year does not look better either.

Edited by Ottoattack

Yeah, this game is just so meh when it comes to the systems and quests in it. I mean, WoW has more interesting quests.

The quests here are just generic go here, kill that or fetch that hidden behind 5 minutes of cutscene dialogue.

They'd rather make cash grab items for people to play Star Wars Barbie dressup than actually taking this game anywhere significant.