Top 3.0 Healer Class?

irishseeker

What is the best republic healer class (commando, sage, scoundrel) for 3.0? Looking to create a healer toon for guild raids and want to know what class would provide the most benefit.

Pre 3.0 I gave the edge to the Sage Seer... but with the decrease in the AOE heal... i give the edge to the commando at this point).

That being said... all perform well in Raids... play what you like.

Pre 3.0 I gave the edge to the Sage Seer... but with the decrease in the AOE heal... i give the edge to the commando at this point).

Ok, good to know. Is wandering mend not as good as the AOE heal from the commando?

No, they don't all perform well. Look at Scoundrels.

Commandos are best. Sage/Sorcs are still good if you properly use Wandering/Roaming Mends.

Ok, good to know. Is wandering mend not as good as the AOE heal from the commando?

Salvation plus wandering mend is a nice AOE heal.

Wandering mend alone is a strong 4 person heal. Problem is it might hit the same people twice. It's rare in a raid group but it can happen.

Is it as good as commandos? I'm not sure.

The best answer is the one you are best at playing.

IMO, they are all in good shape relative to each other. I don't think there is one that you absolutely have to bring hands down. Now I do think that you should bring a balanced healing team to a raid. So for 8m, try to avoid double scoundrel, double sage, or double commando. Can you run double sage? Sure, I've done it. But if I know my co-healer is gonna be a sage, I'll usually bring a scoundrel or a commando if I can.

With 3.0, BW intentionally put in class specific utilities and buffs to reward diversity. I think you should consider those buffs / utilities when building your team - if and when you can.

Salvation plus wandering mend is a nice AOE heal.

Wandering mend alone is a strong 4 person heal. Problem is it might hit the same people twice. It's rare in a raid group but it can happen.

Is it as good as commandos? I'm not sure.

Yeah I have seen wandering mend hit same person twice and have heard from others that it can end up hitting the healer who cast it if they use Noble Sacrifice at the wrong time. It seems as though it is hard to control the AOE but salvation is a sturdy one.

The best answer is the one you are best at playing.

IMO, they are all in good shape relative to each other. I don't think there is one that you absolutely have to bring hands down. Now I do think that you should bring a balanced healing team to a raid. So for 8m, try to avoid double scoundrel, double sage, or double commando. Can you run double sage? Sure, I've done it. But if I know my co-healer is gonna be a sage, I'll usually bring a scoundrel or a commando if I can.

With 3.0, BW intentionally put in class specific utilities and buffs to reward diversity. I think you should consider those buffs / utilities when building your team - if and when you can.

That is a good point. Will take that into consideration.

Yea deff don't double up your healers.. it it's all that good (although not gonna cause wipes all the time it just isn't as effective in my exp)

I play a commando and have for a long time, only healer I really enjoy.. It plays amazingly well in 3.0. As for the healer next to me, I prefer a sage right now... I feel they work best for smaller raid wide damage while as a commando I can put out huge heals rapidly on single targets, while having good AoE and great utility (with the armor buff..) but a scoundrel next to you can be just as effective..

No, they don't all perform well. Look at Scoundrels.

Commandos are best. Sage/Sorcs are still good if you properly use Wandering/Roaming Mends.

Not true. I'm running Operative, and haven't changed single mod/enhancement that I have pre 3.0 and still be able to pull as much heals as any other healer in raid (e.g. well over 5000hps in boss fights which is more than enough for new ops). However it cannot be compared with burst healing that Merc have due to new abilities, but even pre 2.0 Merc had better burst heals anyway.

In PvP pretty much on par with Brutalizer gear. So assumption based on rumors you hear in guild and on fleet have little to none sense in real raids.

Plus, raid buff and stealth rez is something you will use a lot.

Not true. I'm running Operative, and haven't changed single mod/enhancement that I have pre 3.0 and still be able to pull as much heals as any other healer in raid (e.g. well over 5000hps in boss fights which is more than enough for new ops). However it cannot be compared with burst healing that Merc have due to new abilities, but even pre 2.0 Merc had better burst heals anyway.

In PvP pretty much on par with Brutalizer gear. So assumption based on rumors you hear in guild and on fleet have little to none sense in real raids.

It certainly is viable. Still, being able to put out HPS is not equivalent of being effective. Rather think about EHPS which in comparison to Sorc/Sages and Merc/Mandos is significantly less no matter what in most of the fights. Much like you said, Operative/Scoundrel suffers a bit when strong single target healing is required. On the positive side, there are few fights Operative/Scoundrel is good for on new HM operations too. It's certainly viable for all boss fights on HM. No worries there. Currently Merc/Mandos and Sorc/Sages are quite a bit stronger, merc especially.

Merc/Commando are pretty darn OP in 3.0 now with Hold the line / Hydro Override being a major asset to your tool kit.

They are currently (IMHO) "Outhealing" the SAGE/SORC class followed by the OP/Scound class.

I would still suggest you find balance combo and not run with 2 MERC Healers as that can create some gaps (Sorc Static Bubble is great for instant damage saving tool).

While Roaming mend is AWESOME (Yes I love my Sorc healer) it's not as sweet as some of the Merc heals.

OP/Scound class sort of got screwed this round - first with crappy set bonus and then with directed AOE heal (Which is VERY Awesome if you can have everyone stack - issue Sorc heals had)

yeah, Scoundrel set bonus is pretty crappy, so I'm keeping my lvl 55 two piece instead of going for full 6 pc new one. even with 180 armoring it STILL significantly better.

however, as far as actual healing goes, while I absolutely adore my sorc and how much more mobile she is now, my scoundrel definitely holds his own (as does my operative) not nearly as mobile as before, but not stationary either.

ironically, I've yet to level my merc (despite claims to the contrary - other two healers do not suck, so I ended up leveling my powertech first... merc will be leveled once/if 8 classes to 60 achiev is done), but judging by healing with commando as co-healer. they are good.

in other words. once you know what your co-healer is playing - pick whichever of the 2 other AC's you prefer the playstyle of.

My Mercs burst heals are really nice, but I can't deny the power of the Commando as healer - it's almost OP feeling.

My favorite new Merc heal ability btw (not that anyone cares), is the Progressive Scan. Holy cow - it affects I think up to 4 or 5 players close to the target and pumps out several thousand HP's per player in 2 or 3 successive bursts. It's big time sexy healing.

It certainly is viable. Still, being able to put out HPS is not equivalent of being effective. Rather think about EHPS which in comparison to Sorc/Sages and Merc/Mandos is significantly less no matter what in most of the fights. Much like you said, Operative/Scoundrel suffers a bit when strong single target healing is required. On the positive side, there are few fights Operative/Scoundrel is good for on new HM operations too. It's certainly viable for all boss fights on HM. No worries there. Currently Merc/Mandos and Sorc/Sages are quite a bit stronger, merc especially.

In a terms that in the same fight I am able as Operative to output more than decent heals comparing to Sorc that I have been played with that night. His heals (ehps was pretty much the same for both of us, he had like 80% while I had 77%) were slightly higher, but my point here was towards "look at scoundrels they suck and nobody wants them in the ops anymore" which simply is not true. Difference is not that huge and we agree that Mercs currently have edge over other two classes. Stating that OP/Scoundrels are useless in 3.0 is far from true IMHO, and actually have no idea where that came from in the first place. And yes, for the walkers on ToS, I would pick Merc over Operative any time now, tho Sorc/Operative that night worked pretty nice.

My Mercs burst heals are really nice, but I can't deny the power of the Commando as healer - it's almost OP feeling.

umm... merc and commando are mirror classes. aka... identical mechanics that only looks slightly different, but at the core work exactly the same way.

umm... merc and commando are mirror classes. aka... identical mechanics that only looks slightly different, but at the core work exactly the same way.

I understand that - but I can promise you that they do not perform equally. Similarly, my Vanguard DPS and my Merc specced as DPS in very similar gear - the Vanguard overall seems to perform better.

Now I'm not saying it might not be entirely my fault they're performing noticeably differently - but I'm guessing it's also partially because they were just designed that way. Unintentionally perhaps, but...Bioware.

I understand that - but I can promise you that they do not perform equally. Similarly, my Vanguard DPS and my Merc specced as DPS in very similar gear - the Vanguard overall seems to perform better.

Now I'm not saying it might not be entirely my fault they're performing noticeably differently - but I'm guessing it's also partially because they were just designed that way. Unintentionally perhaps, but...Bioware.

Vanguard class is Tank/DPS, Merc Class is Heals / DPS, so not a mirror class..

If you were to compare Vanguard DPS to Powertech DPS then that would be similar,,

You do realize that Vanguard is not mirror class to Merc?