Larger Scale Slot Machine Test = Bioware Overnerf Fail

PennyAnn

The slot machines gave too much JAWA JUNK for credits spent. I accept that. The rest was NOT BROKEN. But now it is.

I bought and spent 31,000 cartel coins trying to get a slot machine for my stronghold. I got several, some of which I paid credits for on the GTN, put them in my stronghold and enjoyed having them. I didn't charge people to come in and gamble, it was just FUN and people wanted to do it. No one used a macro or anything, but we could all see that it was probably giving too good a return for the purple crafting mats. Eric posted that they would be making adjustments to the jawa junk and I expected the return on that one item to be -tweaked-... but that is not what happened.

Instead, they raised the price to play these machines and made it completely worthless to do so. And, I do mean completely worthless. This is not a dramatic overstatement or hyperbole... it is the truth of the matter.

I bought 50 stacks of 99 coins last night before the servers went down (having a feeling that this "nerf" was going to be a disaster, I didn't want to pay an extra 250 credits for this test). 2.475M credits spent. After spending 20 stacks of coins for this test , the results were so bad that I'm not even going to bother with the other 30 stacks. Hopefully they will "adjust" this again in the other direction.

Here are the results out of 20 stacks 1980 coins:

Coin returned = 383 times

Banned Holovids (green rep) = 335

Prohibited Medical Supplies (blue rep) = 255

Confiscated Artwork (purple rep) = 99

Jawa Junk (purple scrap token) = 3

Assorted Droid Parts (blue scrap token) = 2

Scavenged Scrap (green scrap token) = 8

Cartel Certificate = 0

Mount = 0

The cost in credits for the above was 990,000. If you don't see that this is a rip off... I can't help you.

Edited to add: If I had bought the tokens today, after the price went up... the total cost would have been 1,485,000 credits. For the above rep trophies, and 13 pieces of jawa scrap.

Edited by PennyAnn

You actually seem to have gotten kinda lucky on your jawa scrap... Here were my results with slightly less, mostly because i bought about 1.5-2 mil worth yesterday and used them yesterday... only saved a few to test it today, just being cautious of bioware "Fixing" things... I didn't plan on this magnitude of "adjustment" thought..

Investment - 1188 (coins)

Return -

Green Scrap - 2

Blue Scrap - 2

Purple Scrap - 0

Green Rep - 269

Blue Rep - 209

Purple Rep - 69

CM Certs - 1

Mount - 0

Now I do completely agree that the purple was dropping FAR to often before as well as the CM certs... possibly everything else too but.. to take a nerf to this extent is in my opinion ridiculous... I know people who spent a whole lotta money (real and in game....) in order to get this immediately, they did.. loved it.. bought more... now they are literally worthless...

Scavenged Scrap (greeb scrao token) = 8

Cartel Certificate = 0

Mount = 0

The cost in credits for the above was 990,000. If you don't see that this is a rip off... I can't help you.

OMG nerf nerf nerf, Penny will absue the market with those 8 Scraps and 0 Certificates!!!11

Now I do completely agree that the purple was dropping FAR to often before as well as the CM certs...

Certs were not dropping too much at all. You CAN'T even utilize ("abuse") the Certs unless you have reputation from Cartel Packs. The only widely available rep is 2-years old Contraband one. The only other thing the Certs were useful one were few BASIC decorations that should've never been priced for Certs in the first place (seriously, 2 Certificates for a basic red carpet wth?!) and were horribly overpriced on GTN

Edited by Pietrastor

The nerf is absolute ********. It's no more then a bait and switch tactic. I'm sorry, but they let it be as it is for how long? Instead of nerfing the things, they should have *gasp* learned from the mistake (if that's what it was, which I have trouble believing) and, if in the future planned to release another version, nerfed -that- new one. Not let them exist for a fair amount of time, and, after people have spent -real money- to get one, nerf it. I'm sorry, but if a company did that with, say, a car you were buying, it would be a lawsuit.

You must have made a lot of profit with the machines if you are willing to use 1 million on something you know that it will give you "nothing" you want.

I did not. I didn't do it for profit. I did it for crafting materials for myself, not for sale. I craft for the sake of my guild and conquest, as well as for my own characters. It gave me lots of green scrap, which is actually what I wanted and was after before this nerf. It gave equal amounts of blue scrap (pretty useless) and purple scrap (the thing everyone was complaining about, and I agree dropped too frequently).

It also gave me cartel certificates. I have one of the top prestige ranked strongholds on Harbinger. I spend a lot of time there. I have invested a lot of time and credits and actual MONEY into it because I enjoyed it. Getting cartel certificates to buy additional stronghold items from the vendors was great. It made the actual money and credits I spent to get those slot machines worthwhile.

Now, it gives me rep tokens for rep I already have maxed and virtually nothing else. A few items of jawa scrap at exorbitant prices compared to other ways of getting them. This is a simple case of going too far with what was supposed to be an "adjustment".

Edited by PennyAnn

When is the last time BW nerfed anything correctly? Its always an overcorrection for the better or worse. The problem with this is that it actually involved an item promoted by them that costs real $$$ to get through RNG packs and then was stated as working as intended after people raised concerns. And then it was nerfed into a useless money sink. Edited by Kahldor

Certs were not dropping too much at all. You CAN'T even utilize ("abuse") the Certs unless you have reputation from Cartel Packs. The only widely available rep is 2-years old Contraband one. The only other thing the Certs were useful one were few BASIC decorations that should've never been priced for Certs in the first place (seriously, 2 Certificates for a basic red carpet wth?!) and were horribly overpriced on GTN

Well yea but the machine drops the rep you need to use those certs.... XD that was why it was really awesome, you could actually get the certs (which RARELY drop anymore in packs.. i think i've seen one, mind you i dont buy a lot but...) and then use them on something cool. Now they aren't very profitable in any way... the CM Cert decos used to be prices pretty damn high and they dropped but they aren't all that great...

This is all beside the point, the certs wasn't ever the issue that I saw.. the main issue people had was the rate of PURPLE! jawa junk.. noone cares about blue because we send out 100 comps a day gathering blues to get 10 purples if we were lucky... those blue grade 11's have been smashed well under 1000 creds each since 3.0 dropped... the greens they took a slight hit but most people wouldn't be using greens to make money.. it's the purples... whether you were crafting or selling them...

All these people asking for refunds - I wonder if any of them have any realistic hope that they'll actually get one? I've certainly never seen it happen in a video game. Think about all those poor people who bought lifetime subs to APB.

I think it is absurd to ask for something we will never get (refund). However instead of buying 4 to 5 hypercrates when the next ones are released, I most likely won't buy any.

Edited by Kahldor

I think the asking for a refund is more an expression of frustration rather then out of any actual expectation that it will happen.

I know I certainly won't be buying any cartel pack when they come out in the future, just like I won't be buying an expansion until a good time after it's been released, if even then.

I want to say it's about 200 credits for the green, 500 for the blue, and 1k for the purple. I'm not absolutely positive of those numbers, though.

I -do- know that I'm not even getting those to drop at the same rate anymore. Really, it would have been one thing for them to nerf the scrap a bit. But they have nerfed -everything-, making it essentially unusable. I'd spend less buying mats off the gtn for crafting.

I think it is absurd to ask for something we will never get (refund). However instead of buying 4 to 5 hypercrates when the next ones are released, I most likely won't buy any.

I posted how many cartel coins I spent. I bought the game again, twice.... in cartel coins. If this is the way this is going to go down from now on, then I'm with you. But my point is that I DID buy hypercrates and they went overboard with this "fix" and need to un-fix it (or re-fix it?). ASAP.

Edited by PennyAnn

All these people asking for refunds - I wonder if any of them have any realistic hope that they'll actually get one? I've certainly never seen it happen in a video game. Think about all those poor people who bought lifetime subs to APB.

I don't want a refund. I want them to fix what they broke in the other direction. And you know... maybe TEST it first.

Vendor Credit value of the contraband rep tokens:

Green: 500

Blue: 1000

Purple: 2500

Thank you.

So the 1980 coins cost 1,485,000 (I am using the 750 price because that is what they cost now).

The reputation items in the OP sell for 680K.

Total cost (in credits) = 805K.

Yeah. A little pricey for 8 greens, 2 blues, and 3 purples of any tier, never mind the time spent to get them.

That would pay for a lot of crew missions, and while those may not be completed as quickly (but then again, it could only take a mission or two to not only equal, but surpass this output in terms of blue and purple mats), it would leave the player free to pursue other in-game activities. Activities like harvesting greens and whatever else they choose to do while accomplishing that.

=============

The machines needed an adjustment, but this seems like too much.

They need to re-tweak them and/or add something else to the mix.

Edited by Mithros

Here are my results from a stack of 99 today.

All I got were rep tokens.

24 Holovids (Green - small amount of rep)

14 Medical Supplies (Blue - medium amount of rep)

2 Confiscated Artwork (Purple - large amount of rep)

Problem is, I am maxed with rep for this group. Nothing else dropped. To top it off I can't give or mail the extra slot machine chips to any of my toons in my legacy or any stranger wandering on fleet. I can't even sell them back to the vendor I bought them from. This is a major fail.

Here are the results out of 20 stacks 1980 coins:

Coin returned = 383 times

Banned Holovids (green rep) = 335 (x500 credits from vendor = 167,500)

Prohibited Medical Supplies (blue rep) = 255 (x1000 credits from vendor = 225,000)

Confiscated Artwork (purple rep) = 99 (x2500 credits from vendor = 247,500)

Scavenged Scrap (green scrap token) = 8

Cartel Certificate = 0

Mount = 0

The cost in credits for the above was 990,000. (purchased before the patch @ 500 credits each)

Total credits earned back from rep trophies sold = 640,000

So I paid 350k for the 13 pieces of scrap that I got from the machine.

If I had bought the tokens today, after the price went up... the total cost would have been 1,485,000 credits, and I would have paid 491,500 for those 13 pieces of scrap (enough purple scrap to buy ONE of the good purple crafting mats, I might add).

Here are the results out of 51 stacks 5000 coins:

Coin returned = dont count

Banned Holovids (green rep) = 853

Prohibited Medical Supplies (blue rep) = 342

Confiscated Artwork (purple rep) = 202

Jawa Junk (purple scrap token) = 4

Assorted Droid Parts (blue scrap token) = 6

Scavenged Scrap (green scrap token) = 9

Cartel Certificate = 2

Mount = 0