whch dps can run without heal comps solo?

hallucigenocide

ANY dps class can run with a dps comp (or a tank comp) solo.

Other abilities you may not have needed (crowd control, defensive abilities, etc) suddenly become more valuable, as you survive a difficult encounter by killing them quickly before you run out of health.

I highly recommend doing it, it's (in my opinion, of course) much more fun than running with a healer companion.

Except for my Bounty Hunter, I've disliked every healer companion in the game. As such, I've always run a DPS/DPS combo with my companion on everything besides the BH. As long as you keep the companion gear updated, it's not a problem. I also find that it makes tougher fights a lot less boring. You actually have to use interrupts/stuns/etc on certain boss mobs instead of just railroading them by rubbing your face across your keyboard.

That being said, getting the +Presence bonus from leveling a Human character to max level and getting companion affection maxed out, really really buffs you companion. At this point, anything pre-55 can be solo'd by just sending in my DPS companion. At pre-30 levels, my companion is far stronger and has much more HP compared to my actual character. :p

Also, if you have HK-51, he's completely awesome for dailies. :D

My rundown of my characters and their most common companions. Everyone is current DPS spec'ed. I tend to use ranged companion with my Melee characters and melee companions with my Ranged characters with a few exceptions (have HK-51 on 10/13 characters currently)

Normal Fights: Low chance of death, low HP mobs, quick fights, 1-50 content.

Tough Fights: At-level Heroics, tough Elites/Champions, Flashpoint farming close to level (53-60)

Guardian: Rusk/HK-51 (Normal fights), Doc (Tough fights)

Sentinel (semi-Retired): Kira/HK-51 (Normal fights), Doc (Tough fights)

Vanguard: Jorgean/HK-51 (Normal), Elara (Tough)

Commando: Yuun/HK-51 (Normal), Treek (Tank; Tough)

Shadow: Nadia (Normal), Treek (Healer; Tough)

Sage: Zenith/HK-51 (Normal); Treek (Tank; Tough)

Gunslinger: Due to low level, uses Treek as a Tank in everything; Plan is Akavi (Normal), Bowdarr (Tough) later on.

Scoundrel (Retired): Akavi (Normal); Guss (Tough)

Juggernaut: Vette/HK-51 (Normal); Quinn (Tough)

Sorcerer: Ashara (Normal/Tough); Khem (Tough/Hard fights)

Mercenary: HK-51/Blitz (Normal); Blitz (Tough)

Powertech: Torian/Gault (Normal); Mako (Tough)

Sniper: Temple/HK-51 (Normal); SCORPIO (Tough)

Edited by mastervalkar

Easiest leveling time I had was my Rage Juggernaut with Jaesa as my companion. If we came across a set with a strong and some normal/weak adds, I'd send her to hit the strong, then wipe out the adds with the Rage AoE attacks. By the time I was done, she'd have the strong to half health and we'd finish it together. Use defensive cooldowns wisely and you shouldn't have a lot of downtime.

Other than presence and affection bonuses, I'd also say if you're dps running a dps comp it's more important to keep your companion well geared than it is with tank/healer companions. Andronikos Revel's Thick Woolen Socks from a quest reward aren't going to cut it. :p

Running my Lightning Sorc with Ashara, she was better geared than I was until I got to Oricon.

Trooper and BH are my personal favorites, and I have zero issues with any companion as far as missions go.

The healers, to me, are easiest and what I will use if I expect a really tough fight, but tanks and DPS are both fine.

For DPSers I find myself doing a little more ability management.

For example, if I plan on using a stun, while the companions won't attack a stunned target directly they have zero issues using AoEs that will break the stun so I need to deactivate those. That may also include then switching their stance if they were in an AoE-centric one.

Tanks are trickier, because of their aggro controlling needs. I don't feel confident in turning off their AoEs so that means I have to be more careful in how I approach the fight if I plan on using my stun.

All of this assumes that the companions are reasonably well-geared of course. You might be able to get through some stuff with an undergeared companion, but it will catch up to you eventually if you give it a chance.

Edited by Mithros

The "trump card" when it comes to solo leveling, of course, is to over level your missions. :) If you're approaching a planet and you're already 2-3 levels higher than the minimum rating for that planet, you can take whomever you like with you. ;)

The only work my healers usually get... is crafting and fetching more components. The moment I can replace them with a dps companion, i do so. I generally use (melee) dps companions. My pt tank uses torian, my tanksin has Ashara, the mara has jaesa. My sniper is the oddball, in that he still uses Kaliyo, and has the whole way. It doesn't help that my first toon was the mara, and quinn hatred set in real early.

The dps output of dps comp is laughable at best

You obviously either;

a). Don't have Presence bonuses;

b). Don't keep your dps comp geared;

c). All of the above.

Ofocurse your own DPS will trump that of a DPS companion. Although at pre-30 with a modicum of presence bonuses unlocked and good gear that's debatable. Pre-30, Vette took half the health of a silver with her snipe ability. None of my abilities could do that. :p Throughout my leveling, Vette and Jaesa have knocked down golds and groups of 2 silvers and normals in good time, all the way to 60. Without my interfering as well (while I was gathering and stuff).

I'm not even talking HK-51 on a single target fight. That stuff is just... fun to watch. :D

Seriously, you must be doing something wrong if your DPS comps are doing 'laughable' damage as you put it.

Edited by Defecter

Essentially, running two DPS will make it so you paste all normal and Silver enemies almost immediately, but makes Gold enemies harder.

Using a Tank (either you or your companion) is the reverse--you have nothing to fear from Golds, but Silvers will hurt whoever the tank is a lot, even if you focus it.

Using a Healer is easy impossible-to-lose mode.

My personal experience:

Sorcerer - Ran with Andronikos and then Ashara for most of the game. Lightning DPS for two DPS total. Never had problems with random mobs, but Golds could be a problem.

Guardian - Ran a DPS Guardian with Scourge tanking. Confirms what I said above, Silvers were a bigger problem but Golds were easy.

Powertech - Ran shielding, having myself as a tank with Torian DPS. Way easier late game to the point that nothing could really damage me in fights. Kinda absurd.

Operative - Ran healing with Kaliyo and eventually SCORPIO. Easy mode slow fights--being a tank and a healer. Don't think I ever went down without it involving me falling off a cliff or something. Same for my Marauder with Quinn healing me, faster fights tho.

Edited by Djiini

Essentially, running two DPS will make it so you paste all normal and Silver enemies almost immediately, but makes Gold enemies harder.

Using a Tank (either you or your companion) is the reverse--you have nothing to fear from Golds, but Silvers will hurt whoever the tank is a lot, even if you focus it.

Using a Healer is easy impossible-to-lose mode.

My personal experience:

Sorcerer - Ran with Andronikos and then Ashara for most of the game. Lightning DPS for two DPS total. Never had problems with random mobs, but Golds could be a problem.

Guardian - Ran a DPS Guardian with Scourge tanking. Confirms what I said above, Silvers were a bigger problem but Golds were easy.

Powertech - Ran shielding, having myself as a tank with Torian DPS. Way easier late game to the point that nothing could really damage me in fights. Kinda absurd.

Operative - Ran healing with Kaliyo and eventually SCORPIO. Easy mode slow fights--being a tank and a healer. Don't think I ever went down without it involving me falling off a cliff or something. Same for my Marauder with Quinn healing me, faster fights tho.

Knowing how to use your class's defensive and CC abilities is key if you run DPS with DPS companion against anything Gold, but certainly not impossible.

Sorcs and Sages do every well with either Melee DPS or Tank because they can control the mobs away from you. Any Melee-ranged DPS class would do far better with a Healer or Ranged DPS because of the same idea; keeping them away from the mobs.

If nothing else and you know your class Well enough: HK-51 >= Treek > DPS > Tanks >= Healers

Edited by mastervalkar