Mercs need a button for pvp viability,...

Thermisticles

Hey guys,

The title says it all. All classes have it as a standard feature, be it stealth, immunity bubble, heal through damage etc etc.

The merc, the most immobile class in the game, has no such 'hard' defence that can force a target switch to occur. That is why in pvp they are currently a fail. The merc shield offers some damage reduction, but is hardly cause for target switching.

Enough said.

Agree? Disagree? I open the floor to discussion,..

Cheers,

Thermisticles

P.S. My merc is fully geared and augmented except for off hand weapon, which, whilst augmented, is still at 168? (reg wz weapon)

Edited by CommunityDroidEN
I.P.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has actually been discussed many times by those who play the class, and the reality is that under almost any circumstance we are the first target. This is a given.

For whatever reason, i cant begin to imagine what that might be, the devs have chosen to ignore tha class in its entirety for a very long time now, and even though ever PVPer in the game knows this to be the case, they instead chose to worry about Mara's in the upcoming patch.

I myself and other have posted a few easy fixes that would help tremendously and not make us the automatic target without adding anything new or making us OP, yet... again, ignored.

I dont get it, not gonna claim to begin to understand why the class is ignored in PVP, so i will simply keep running mine out there in ranked until such time as the rest of the community gets tired of losing every time they have a merc and are forced to play 4v3, and maybe if the rest of the community *****es in our favor we might get some help.

Have you looked around? People who dont main this class for pvp dont give a rats ***** about it. They hate when they get forced to group with one in arenas but other then that, they do great in raids etc and that seems to be enough argument to keep this class down in a ditch when it comes to pvp.

I agree that mercs could use something, but I don't agree that they are the most immobile class in the game. I have played with my merc a bit in 3.0 (currently at level 57), and the Arsenal spec (can't remember if it is still called Arsenal) is quite mobile, only having to stop sometimes for tracer missile when it's not available to be instant. Snipers seem much less mobile, due to cover.

I don't think that their mobility is a problem, but I get what you are saying regarding defenses.

Hey guys,

The title says it all. All classes have it as a standard feature, be it stealth, immunity bubble, heal through damage etc etc.

The merc, the most immobile class in the game, has no such 'hard' defence that can force a target switch to occur. That is why in pvp they are currently a fail. The merc shield offers some damage reduction, but is hardly cause for target switching.

Enough said.

Agree? Disagree? I open the floor to discussion,..

Cheers,

Thermisticles

P.S. My merc is fully geared and augmented except for off hand weapon, which, whilst augmented, is still at 168? (reg wz weapon)

When you type the title says it all, you shouldn't be typing anything after that. Looks stupid.

Mercs have needed an 'oh ****' button for a while. Not much of a discussion is needed here.

Edited by Jimmajamma

I agree that mercs could use something, but I don't agree that they are the most immobile class in the game. I have played with my merc a bit in 3.0 (currently at level 57), and the Arsenal spec (can't remember if it is still called Arsenal) is quite mobile, only having to stop sometimes for tracer missile when it's not available to be instant. Snipers seem much less mobile, due to cover.

I don't think that their mobility is a problem, but I get what you are saying regarding defenses.

Lets examine mobilty in other classes shall we.

Snipers,..get barrel roll

Operatives - barrel roll

Juggs and Maras - leap to enemy and/or ally, and immunity to stun for 4 secs, if Vengeance spec, +15% speed increase constantly active.

Sorcs/assasins - sprint

Powertech - HO,..but if speced for speed - twice the normal rate and duration

Mercs - HO - which only provides a speed increase when in combat. A leap can catch you, force speed is superior, barrel roll - no contest.

Hence my statement - Most immobile class in the game.

They need to be fixed before maras/sents IMHO. they have been broke since like 1.0. boo hoo maras have been broke for a month. just don't seem right to me.

Heck, I would be happy if they gave all mercs a 5-7 charge kolto shell that healed for 1k per hit and was on say a 1 or 2 min CD. oh and why is our heal on a CD and sorcs and ops is not?

When you type the title says it all, you shouldn't be typing anything after that. Looks stupid.

Mercs have needed an 'oh ****' button for a while. Not much of a discussion is needed here.

I invited alternate viewpoints for discussion. You need not contribute further. Thank you.

Have you looked around? People who dont main this class for pvp dont give a rats ***** about it. They hate when they get forced to group with one in arenas but other then that, they do great in raids etc and that seems to be enough argument to keep this class down in a ditch when it comes to pvp.

The hatred of being grouped with us is precisely why i keep rolling mine... they are not listening to the Merc community, maybe they will listen to the others when they get tired of being gimped with us.

We are not that immobile really, Snipers/GS are far more so in my opinion especially after priming shot which helped a lot in that regard though it should be the next tracer whether it hits or not but i digress.

lol, ok, now i'm curious. What would happen if i used /stuck in a wz?

When in combat, /stuck kills you. In a WZ, though, it'll kill you with a respawn timer of 20 seconds. Sometimes I do it so I can stand in our ship as it blows up, and then shoots me flying.

Snipers,..get barrel roll

Operatives - barrel roll

Juggs and Maras - leap to enemy and/or ally, and immunity to stun for 4 secs, if Vengeance spec, +15% speed increase constantly active.

Sorcs/assasins - sprint

Powertech - HO,..but if speced for speed - twice the normal rate and duration

Mercs - HO - which only provides a speed increase when in combat. A leap can catch you, force speed is superior, barrel roll - no contest.

The amount of wrong in this is beyond funny

the devs have chosen to ignore tha class in its entirety for a very long time now, and even though ever PVPer in the game knows this to be the case, they instead chose to worry about Mara's in the upcoming patch.

Probably more players playing Mara. I mean why bother with the class that always gets beaten on and gets killed first with no escape? Why would they do that?

They probably don't even play the class (and if you look at the changes they do make, you know this is the case)

Ok, I was thinking "mobility" in terms of "can you perform attacks while moving." You were looking at it as "how quickly can you get from point A to point B".

It might make sense to give mercs the same thing that powertechs have - the utility point for and additional (45% IIRC?) speed boost on HO. I was actually kind of surprised to find out that wasn't an option.

Edited by teclado

I don't main a Merc, but I'd like to see some buffs for them. I get worried when one is on my solo ranked team that isn't a healer because I know they will drop fast unless our team is good at peeling and the Merc itself is amazing.

Mercs are fine, stop QQing. Try being a poor sorc, wearing light cloth armors weilding a wimpy glowstick. They need buffed badly, not mercs! Mercs wear heavy armor. Mercs look cool. Mercs have a couple decent damaging abilities. What more do you want?!

Your "oh shyte" button combination is a warzone adrenal and adrenaline rush. You've still got reactive shield and a Warzone med pack to get you back to 70% health and keep it there for a bit. This isn't considering your self heals, cleanse, hold the line kite, cc break, cryo grenade, knock back, net, spec specific abilities, utility talents etc.

So much hyperbole in this thread... Maybe the dev's role they eyes so hard when they see phrases like "The class has been ignored in its entirety for a very long time" & "Mercs have been broken since 1.0" that they can longer continue reading :p

Please stop letting your frustration frame you perception of reality, folks. That being said, the dev's seem to be pretty firm on not giving mercs a new ability. I think people should just continue brainstorming on how to tweak the DCD's we do have to increase viability, as well as buff to off heals for dps w/o breaking the healing spec.

Edited by TezMoney

Your "oh shyte" button combination is a warzone adrenal and adrenaline rush. You've still got reactive shield and a Warzone med pack to get you back to 70% health and keep it there for a bit. This isn't considering your self heals, cleanse, hold the line kite, cc break, cryo grenade, knock back, net, spec specific abilities, utility talents etc.

Honestly, i cant tell if this is troll or just stupid...

im gonna assume troll.. noone can be this ignorant... right?

just in case this person was serious...

shield is crap, everyone knows that, does less than half of similar skills other classes have.

self heals no longer useful as they all have longer cooldowns than other classes similar skills

cleanse no longer does anything to force users dots so again.. moot

net is dispellable...

The list goes on, and on, and on as to how much stupidity is in this post... please, dont speak again if this was even remotely serious.

So much hyperbole in this thread... Maybe the dev's role they eyes so hard when they see phrases like "The class has been ignored in its entirety for a very long time" & "Mercs have been broken since 1.0" that they can longer continue reading :p

Please stop letting your frustration frame you perception of reality, folks. That being said, the dev's seem to be pretty firm on not giving mercs a new ability. I think people should just continue brainstorming on how to tweak the DCD's we do have to increase viability, as well as buff to off heals for dps w/o breaking the healing spec.

You have a funny way of thinking, in almost everyone of your posts you start with a bit of flaming of everyone and then agree pretty much 100% with what previous posters have said. But the first part always gets you into the wierdest and most unneccesary flame contests x)

You have a funny way of thinking, in almost everyone of your posts you start with a bit of flaming of everyone and then agree pretty much 100% with what previous posters have said. But the first part always gets you into the wierdest and most unneccesary flame contests x)

I don't think you know what "flamming" is :o

I don't directly put down anyone unless they come at me first. Simply disagreeing with someone isn't flamming nor is calling people out on their BS. I'm merely trying to bring some moderate thought to threads full of silly hive-minded rhetoric. Hyperbole doesn't advance anything, obscures actual issues and solutions, and prolly makes the dev's giggle at the exaggerations (I know I do). If people take challenging their ideas as a personal attack, that's on them.

Edited by TezMoney