The Contraband Slot Machine

EricMusco

Well I just wish they would acknowledge the fact that this whole thing didn't go as planned.

I don't care if they said it was working as intended. I don't care about if they said the were going to investigate further.

They took something that was useful and now it's useless to me.

I have maxed out my Reputation, now what?:mad:

Glad to know someone is looking at this thread though!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just wish they would acknowledge the fact that this whole thing didn't go as planned.

I don't care if they said it was working as intended. I don't care about if they said the were going to investigate further.

They took something that was useful and now it's useless to me.

I have maxed out my Reputation, now what?:mad:

Glad to know someone is looking at this thread though!

Every post is that little much more of your life they stole ... kinda like mine replying I guess ...

Perhaps the Emperor is real and this is how he will steal away our livez.

They will never admit they were wrong on this.

We might as well give up on it.

Do you know what annoys me about this whole thing, more so than the actual nerf?

The ignorance of BioWare developers to let a thread like this go on for so long without a single response to address the concerns of a larger proportion of the player base, than the ones who originally complained about the CSM.

It's reasonable for us to expect a change / alteration to the drop rate from the original inception of the machine, however the resulting change effectively made the machine about as useful as Orbital Strike.

However the lack of official response? Pretty terrible management and PR. Sticking their heads in the sand on this one has resulted in at least one customer refusing to purchase any further CC longer term. There are principles, just clearly obvious BioWare has none in regards to this issue.

Do you know what annoys me about this whole thing, more so than the actual nerf?

The ignorance of BioWare developers to let a thread like this go on for so long without a single response to address the concerns of a larger proportion of the player base, than the ones who originally complained about the CSM.

It's reasonable for us to expect a change / alteration to the drop rate from the original inception of the machine, however the resulting change effectively made the machine about as useful as Orbital Strike.

However the lack of official response? Pretty terrible management and PR. Sticking their heads in the sand on this one has resulted in at least one customer refusing to purchase any further CC longer term. There are principles, just clearly obvious BioWare has none in regards to this issue.

And this is how they deal with problems now. The toss up new flashy things (12xXP) and hope we will forget.

They are making so many changes regardless of what is right or wrong or best for the game.

Where is the focus?

Every post is that little much more of your life they stole ... kinda like mine replying I guess ...

Perhaps the Emperor is real and this is how he will steal away our livez.

Like, every post you make in here makes Musco's power to ignore that much more intense? :cool:

I don't get the need for a mea culpa. Are you all seriously THAT desperate for vindication that all you need is an "Okay guys, you're right. We're so sorry. Bad BioWare. Bad bad bad. Time for seppuku."?

Here's why that will NEVER happen.

It'll give you guys ammo to start saying "you should have listened to us last time - YOU EVEN ADMITTED IT - and now you need to listen to us this time!" It'll make all you armchair quarterbacks even more armchair-y and quarterbackier than before.

But here's the worst part. Even if BioWare did handle things poorly - so did YOU. I'm not going to leave this thread until you all admit that your griping is immature and pointless, and that through your whinging, you've robbed the rest of us at a chance for rep machines for other pack vendors.

Edited by TheSeventhJedi

Like, every post you make in here makes Musco's power to ignore that much more intense? :cool:

I don't get the need for a mea culpa. Are you all seriously THAT desperate for vindication that all you need is an "Okay guys, you're right. We're so sorry. Bad BioWare. Bad bad bad. Time for seppuku."?

Here's why that will NEVER happen.

It'll give you guys ammo to start saying "you should have listened to us last time - YOU EVEN ADMITTED IT - and now you need to listen to us this time!" It'll make all you armchair quarterbacks even more armchair-y and quarterbackier than before.

But here's the worst part. Even if BioWare did handle things poorly - so did YOU. I'm not going to leave this thread until you all admit that your griping is immature and pointless, and that through your whinging, you've robbed the rest of us at a chance for rep machines for other pack vendors.

That's a lot of generalizations and assumptions.

I'm not going to leave this thread until you all admit that your griping is immature and pointless, and that through your whinging, you've robbed the rest of us at a chance for rep machines for other pack vendors.

So what exactly is immature about making BioWare aware that they've annoyed (at least one) customer with their handling of this? It's not called griping, it's providing valuable feedback to them so they don't continue to make the same schoolboy errors.

What is griping and immature is coming into this thread and complaining about other providing that feedback.

If your reasoning is that you would like to see more machines, that's fine, but how about you go and post that in the suggestions forum? I've absolutely not a shadow of a doubt that if BioWare can make money from selling more machines further down the line, they'll do that.

So what exactly is immature about making BioWare aware that they've annoyed (at least one) customer with their handling of this? It's not called griping, it's providing valuable feedback to them so they don't continue to make the same schoolboy errors.

The first time? Absolutely nothing.

Keeping this thread alive for this long with demands that they make a bad PR move is anything but "valuable feedback." They pissed you off - I promise you, they know.

They just don't care.

Either you can deal with it, or you can't.

If your reasoning is that you would like to see more machines, that's fine, but how about you go and post that in the suggestions forum? I've absolutely not a shadow of a doubt that if BioWare can make money from selling more machines further down the line, they'll do that.

So you're saying that my concerns aren't valid enough to go in this thread, or even the forum? I have to move over to the barren suggestions forum?

Edited by TheSeventhJedi

Keeping this thread alive for this long with demands that they make a bad PR move is anything but "valuable feedback." They pissed you off - I promise you, they know.

They just don't care.

It's not valuable feedback. Really? It sure seems like it to me, because those that are still posting in this topic are letting Bioware know that they aren't ok with them ignoring this issue. Your generalization earlier that everybody wants Bioware to "admit their mistake" is so off base it's laughable. I want Bioware to acknowledge the concerns. Sure, they could admit they made a mistake but maybe they don't think they did. I don't know what they're thinking because they haven't said a word since it was done outside of comments on the Jawa Scraps. I want to know what they're thinking on the slot machines as a whole and I don't agree with them ignoring the issue completely.

And I'm glad you think they don't care, maybe they don't. I don't know. But that doesn't mean we should have to shut up and "deal with it." That's the point of the forums, to voice opinions. If you don't like that you have the right to not read the topic. That's your choice. But I can tell you right now that not one thing you've said has convinced me to stop posting in this topic and simply "deal with it" and given your attitude nothing you will say will convince me either. If you're willing to just deal with problems with the game because Bioware doesn't care, that's on you. But I like this game and I want to see it improve, so I'm going to voice my opinions on it in hopes of Bioware hearing it and improving the game. Because if everybody just deals with every flaw with the game, it'll never improve.

If you're fine with that, if you don't want to see the game improve, then by all means. Deal with every flaw and encourage others to do the same. Bioware doesn't care anyway, right? But I like this game, quite a bit, and I'm not blind to its faults. At the end of the day the slot machine itself may not be a big issue but Bioware's lack of any kind of communication about it is a big issue in my opinion, especially since it's a part of a very large communication issue that's spanning across multiple facets of the game, and for that reason I'm not going to just deal with it. I'll continue to voice my opinions, in this thread or others, to hopefully make Bioware realize the problem so this game can get better.

If you want to continue whining about others voicing their opinions, go right ahead. But again, I highly doubt you're going to convince me to shut up and "deal with it" and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. So, by all means. Continue, and I will continue to respond and voice my opinions on the matter whether you can deal with that or not.

They addressed this issue long ago at a cantina event I believe. It's a deco item. It's not that big of a deal. If you've convinced yourself that you paid money specifically for it, well you're wrong, and that's ok.

However, man would I love to see a slot machine for each pack that spit out rep items, emotes, credit booms, titles, and mini pets. That would be aweeeeeeeeeeeeesome.

They addressed this issue long ago at a cantina event I believe. It's a deco item. It's not that big of a deal. If you've convinced yourself that you paid money specifically for it, well you're wrong, and that's ok.

They didn't address it all, they only talked about the Jawa Scraps. The nerfs went well beyond those (they increased the loss chance, decreased the purple rep item drop rate despite saying rep item drop rates were increased, and nuked the cartel certificate drop rate from orbit) and they never even acknowledged the other nerfs. We had to find out about those the hard way. An explanation, a reasoning for those changes, anything would be a step in the right direction at this point. The communication issues are the worst part of all of this.

However, man would I love to see a slot machine for each pack that spit out rep items, emotes, credit booms, titles, and mini pets. That would be aweeeeeeeeeeeeesome.

Agreed. It makes me wish the machines had never spit out the scraps at all, because the concept in of itself is great in my opinion but it should have always been centered around the stuff from the packs and not the scraps. Make credit booms a rare drop (maybe about half the rate that certificates were dropping pre nerf) and maybe some of the armor drops from the packs as super rare drops and they'd be a fun time waster between queue pops. That's what I loved about the slot machine in the first place, having it for other packs in a revised form would be awesome.

They just don't care.

I certainly haven't demanded them to make any bad PR move. I've stated this (and I'll quote myself here);

However the lack of official response? Pretty terrible management and PR.

It's my own opinion, honestly on this point, what you do or do not think about that opinion is pretty insignificant to me personally. I will however point out that if you think BioWare are good at communicating about anything on this game of any importance, you need to follow that developer tracker a little more. They're not, and that isn't opinion.

As for whether they care? Are you a BioWare employee? No? Then you have no inclination as to whether BioWare do or do not care, that's your own opinion, equally unimportant to me.

As for dealing with something or not. That really isn't anything to do with you, I'm voicing my opinion on the forums so that the developers are aware that (at least) one customer is not impressed with how they have dealt with this issue. Again, your opinion is so down on the list of importance to me, so I'm replying so you actually understand that.

So you're saying that my concerns aren't valid enough to go in this thread, or even the forum? I have to move over to the barren suggestions forum?

Never put words into someone else's proverbial mouth. They'll simply quote what they did type, so you can read it again and try to use comprehension skills the second time around;

Quite clear. Now if you scroll up (just in case you missed it);

It's my own opinion, honestly on this point, what you do or do not think about that opinion is pretty insignificant to me personally. [snip] Again, your opinion is so down on the list of importance to me, so I'm replying so you actually understand that.

You may well get the idea on that last part before bothering to reply to this post.

Edited by Transcendent

You guys STILL going on about this? Good Lord. (shakes head) If you think keeping this thread alive is telling Bioware anything, then that assumes they are still reading it, and you have no evidence that they are. But let's just pretend they are. If they read the whines, they are also reading posts like THIS, and THIS one is saying,

The vast majority of SWTOR players do not give a rip about this issue. In fact, the vast majority of SWTOR players weren't even aware this WAS an issue because they did not participate in it. And even if they have BECOME aware of it, at this point it amounts to a very few butthurt whiners who can't seem to let go of it.

In other words, you guys are nothing more than a mild curiosity and you look mentally unstable to anyone looking in.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

They didn't address it all, they only talked about the Jawa Scraps. The nerfs went well beyond those (they increased the loss chance, decreased the purple rep item drop rate despite saying rep item drop rates were increased, and nuked the cartel certificate drop rate from orbit) and they never even acknowledged the other nerfs. We had to find out about those the hard way. An explanation, a reasoning for those changes, anything would be a step in the right direction at this point. The communication issues are the worst part of all of this.

Agreed. It makes me wish the machines had never spit out the scraps at all, because the concept in of itself is great in my opinion but it should have always been centered around the stuff from the packs and not the scraps. Make credit booms a rare drop (maybe about half the rate that certificates were dropping pre nerf) and maybe some of the armor drops from the packs as super rare drops and they'd be a fun time waster between queue pops. That's what I loved about the slot machine in the first place, having it for other packs in a revised form would be awesome.

I wish I could remember what Cantina event, or live stream, or where it was that Musco responded to the frustration about the slot machine. It's been so long that I can only remember about what he said, but not where. He basically said that they never intended the machine to be a way to circumvent the crew skill portion of the game, and they wanted it to be a fun reputation centered item. They made it that way, and unfortunately a lot of people misunderstood what the purpose of the slot machine was. So they got real defensive, pissy, and made up tons and tons of outlandish claims to justify their positions. They didn't address it you know in the normal mode that we are used to in a gold post/ thread. but, it was addressed. Musco also said that they probably weren't going to release any more slot machines, which breaks my probably half clogged up heart.

I wish I could remember what Cantina event, or live stream, or where it was that Musco responded to the frustration about the slot machine. It's been so long that I can only remember about what he said, but not where. He basically said that they never intended the machine to be a way to circumvent the crew skill portion of the game, and they wanted it to be a fun reputation centered item. They made it that way, and unfortunately a lot of people misunderstood what the purpose of the slot machine was. So they got real defensive, pissy, and made up tons and tons of outlandish claims to justify their positions. They didn't address it you know in the normal mode that we are used to in a gold post/ thread. but, it was addressed. Musco also said that they probably weren't going to release any more slot machines, which breaks my probably half clogged up heart.

^ I think you're mis-remembering what he actually said at that event... and it wasn't on record anyway, it was a third hand account of what he said, unless someone captured audio of it...

It's not valuable feedback. Really? It sure seems like it to me, because those that are still posting in this topic are letting Bioware know that they aren't ok with them ignoring this issue.

How is that valuable feedback? I am sure Hitler is not happy about loosing a war. Valuable, don't make me laugh.

Godwin says hello.

You guys STILL going on about this? Good Lord. (shakes head) If you think keeping this thread alive is telling Bioware anything, then that assumes they are still reading it, and you have no evidence that they are. But let's just pretend they are. If they read the whines, they are also reading posts like THIS, and THIS one is saying,

The vast majority of SWTOR players do not give a rip about this issue. In fact, the vast majority of SWTOR players weren't even aware this WAS an issue because they did not participate in it. And even if they have BECOME aware of it, at this point it amounts to a very few butthurt whiners who can't seem to let go of it.

In other words, you guys are nothing more than a mild curiosity and you look mentally unstable to anyone looking in.

Right? Your positions can be as valid as you like - the point is, any realist can see that the dozen or so remaining crusaders have zero possibility of getting what they want. Scream in here until you're blue in the face - it's entertaining really. Argue my points or tell me to ****. At the end of the day, the outcome will be this:

Nothing you have asked for in this thread will happen.

Now, I accept that. Does it mean that I don't care about the game and hope it never gets better? That's reductio ad absurdum. Of course I always hope for better things. However, because I am not a lunatic, I have given up on posting about the fact that detached collars on gear do all kinds of crazy things in cutscenes, robes clipping through the bottom of speeders, and complaining about bugged non-story content. Those things are, quite obviously, not changing - and they're much more damaging to the game than your free money printing.

Can you accept it? Don't say you're going to post in here until they change it. If you have an ounce of common sense, you know that's not happening. You can keep posting here all you like, but don't act like it's a holy crusade. It's whining, plain and simple. If you just like to whine, well, this forum is full of places for you to do just that! Welcome! If you, after months, still feel it's a genuine problem, then you need to do something more. If the problem isn't worth doing anything more than posting now and then on a forum, then it's probably not a real problem.

Um, they are reading it, I know that for a fact. ;) I've been told to play nice so I will.

I think they just don't know how to dig themselves out of this hole without it collapsing on them.

The problem is they have dug in so deep now, they can't get out if it.

So maybe they should just pull the dirt in over their heads.

then that assumes they are still reading it, and you have no evidence that they are.

Ok, so we're doing evidence here. Fair enough then! Hold on a second...

The vast majority of SWTOR players do not give a rip about this issue. In fact, the vast majority of SWTOR players weren't even aware this WAS an issue because they did not participate in it.

You have no evidence that this is true. You're making an assumption to fit your point, when the fact is that people were advertising the slot machines in gen chat of the fleet, Coruscant, and Nar Shaddaa, three of the most populated areas in the game. To say a "vast majority" of players weren't aware of this is just as baseless as saying a vast majority of them were aware of it. I'm not saying either, nor have I, but I'm not throwing around baseless assumptions as fact while in the same post pointing out that something else has no evidence. Could you be a little less hypocritical please? Just a little less?

Don't say you're going to post in here until they change it. If you have an ounce of common sense, you know that's not happening. You can keep posting here all you like, but don't act like it's a holy crusade.

Where was that said? I can't speak for anybody but else but I know I said I'm not gonna keep my mouth shut because somebody else wants me to deal with it. I'm not going to shut up just because you don't want to hear about it anymore, or because you think it's a dead issue, or whatever. If I have a reason to post in this topic I'm going to post in this topic, I'm not going to hold my tongue because TheSeventhJedi doesn't think it matters.

You throw out that "I'm a realist" comment like that makes it any more commendable to keep your mouth shut over issues you have with the game. Do you want things fixed? Well here's some realism for you: If you keep your mouth shut over every issue you have with the game, it won't get fixed. If you deal with it because they didn't respond, it won't get fixed.

It's whining, plain and simple.

No it's not. What I would consider whining is constantly moaning that this topic is still alive while contributing nothing to the discussion whatsoever, going as far as to blame those posting in it for no further slot machines getting released. That's the definition of whining. If you don't think the discussion will be taken seriously, good for you. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I will say it yet again: your whining will not make me shut my mouth, no matter how hard you yell at the wall for me to do it. I honestly don't care if you think this is an issue or not. Not one bit. Again, I doubt I'm the only one that feels this way. Come to think of it, your whole "They're not listening, they don't care, you're just whining!" point is getting really ironic at this point.

Like, seriously, this is to both of you: How are you any different than those you're calling "whiners"? Continually posting in this topic solely to tell others to stop posting in it (or to provoke them, looking at you "/popcorn"), despite the fact that the people you're telling these things probably don't care. You're bumping the topic, giving those that actually want to have a discussion more reason to post here. In fact, I'd argue you're worse because at least some of the people that you think are "whining" are trying to have a discussion whether you want to admit the merit of that discussion or not. But you're just whining that people are still posting here, while all the while still posting here and giving them a reason to still post here. Now that, that's amusing.

Again, though, please continue. Tell me more about how people that give their opinions are mentally unstable or lunatics for giving suggestions on how to improve the game and, more importantly, the communication from the dev team on the changes they make to the game. You're both doing a bang up job of differentiating yourself from those "whiners."

Edited by The-Kaitou-Kid

How is that valuable feedback? I am sure Hitler is not happy about loosing a war. Valuable, don't make me laugh.

Godwin says hello.

No, Hitler knew he was screwed and put a bullet in his head.

And yeah, it is laughable to think that they wouldn't care about upsetting a large number of players.

This is seriously hilarious. That long post just to say the equivalent of "I'm rubber, you're glue..." Have fun with your crusade boys. Shall we take bets on how it turns out? I'll wager 10 million credits that it doesn't get a gold post by the end of the summer, against your 1 million credits that it does.

If you ever want to know why we never get another slot machine to easily raise rep, it's the people in this thread.

Maybe, on the one hand why would any employee risk controversy when they can just do something else.

On the other hand this thread is such a joke maybe they don't take it seriously :p

This is seriously hilarious. That long post just to say the equivalent of "I'm rubber, you're glue..." Have fun with your crusade boys. Shall we take bets on how it turns out? I'll wager 10 million credits that it doesn't get a gold post by the end of the summer, against your 1 million credits that it does.

What crusade? What's seriously hilarious is you keep jumping to that, like I or anybody else in this thread is demanding Bioware submit to our will and do what we tell them to do. I can only speak for myself but I'm giving suggestions and trying to have a discussion, I don't pretend that my ideas are the be all end all and Bioware has to take them. You're the one that's jumping in here and making comments as if you know what Bioware is thinking when you really don't. Acting as if others shouldn't be giving their opinion because "they don't care." That's the only crusade I see and it's even more futile than whatever crusade you think I or anybody else is on.

Keep screaming at the wall, though. It's actually starting to make me laugh if I'm being completely honest.

Edited by The-Kaitou-Kid