Why 12x xp is the best thing Swtor has ever gotten

Makrogai

I definitely think 12XP should be a Legacy unlock item.

This is my suggestion for a proposed 12XP system.

I actually hope that Bioware is forward thinking enough to recognize the market, the appeal of 12XP and ignore folks that cling to traditional MMO values. It would benefit the game, not harm it IMO. Arguments to the contrary are simply not realistic in my eyes. It is this kind of myopic traditional "tunnel vision" that caused the game to stumble in the first place from my perspective.

As I have said more than once, If they were to do Legacy Xp as a 12XP vehicle, this is how I suggest it should be done. I have modified it a bit to make the XP boost universal across ALL content, including GSF, Flashpoints and Ops to promote that kind of play for those that wish to only level that way.

LEGACY EXPERIENCE I - IV

1) Account wide legacy perk

2) For subscribers only. Perk would be disabled if you go preferred, not available to F2P.

3) For every core class (mirrors) you complete the chapter 3 questline, you get the ability to unlock a 3X XP bonus through legacy. 4 chapter 3 completions, 12X XP unlocked.

4) Each unlock would require a minimum of legacy level 20 and would cost 50k/100k/150k/200k or 60/60/60/60 coins.

5) Toggle would exist to disable when desired.

6) XP boost would apply to ALL content that provides XP, including end game content.

That way folks have to complete the storyline for each core class first (one of the mirrors in each core) before you get the buff. They can also choose to level their characters in alternate ways if they wish, avoiding the storyline and planet leveling entirely for alts....naturally they have to do the planetary leveling at least once for the unlock.

This is a great way to increase the appeal of a sub.

You would only have to level up 4 core mirrors to get the complete 12XP, and it would come to you incrementally as you leveled each class naturally...so you would first get 3, then 6, then 9, then finally 12.

So this is how it would work if it was set up as I suggested.

You are a subscriber.

You level Knight or Warrior to chapter 3 completion.

A legacy option for 3X XP boost can now be unlocked in Legacy (Legacy Experience I) for 50k/60 coins.

You next level an Sage or Inq to chapter 3 completion, using the 3X XP boost to skip some side quests.

A legacy option for another 3X XP boost can now be unlocked in Legacy (Legacy Experience II) for 100k/60 coins.

You next level a Trooper or BH to chapter 3, using the 6X XP boost (cumulative) to skip a good portion of side quests.

Next legacy option opens up for another 3X XP boost (Legacy Experience III) for 150k/60 coins.

Next you level a Smuggler or Agent to chapter 3, using the 9X XP boost (cumulative) to skip most of the side quests.

The final legacy option opens for another 3X XP boost (Legacy Experience IV) for 200k/60 coins.

From now on you will have 12XP available for all toons you level in your legacy. This will be ACCOUNT WIDE and will be for subscribers only. You will also have an option to turn off the boost if you wish using a toggle. It will apply to all forms of content, so you can level new alts anywhere you wish.

Added to this, I would unlock as a perk, once you reach legacy Experience IV two packs of comms you would be get when creating a new character. The packs would be for a level 10, would contain 198 Basic comms (two packs of 99 comms each) to assist in gearing for the character. This would be account wide, once for every character you create.

This would be a very good way of implementing it IMO, except for the unlock costs. I'd make them higher considering what enormous use you get out of them for an acount wide unlock.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Side quests, in addition to planetary quest chains, are as much part of this game's story as are the class stories. Same with the early and late level flashpoints, that usually focused on secondary war scenarios.

True. And they're cool stories, and plus you get to hear more lines from character...which, if you think your character is awesome and you love the voice acting, is a great thing. I wouldn't dream of missing all that.

Besides, it's not at all unlike Bioware's single-player games - they always have plenty of side-quests.

So, yeah, I have no use for 12x xp.

If so many truly see a need for this, who am I to stand in their way. All I'm interested in personally is an opt out anyways.:D

Yeah, I'd definitely pay as much as 1 Mil or 600 Cartel Coins for a straight-up Legacy 12x EXP thing.

Also, Clarian, difference is in, say, Mass Effect, you can skip every side quest and still BEAT THE GAME.

Edited by Djiini

True. And they're cool stories, and plus you get to hear more lines from character...which, if you think your character is awesome and you love the voice acting, is a great thing. I wouldn't dream of missing all that.

Besides, it's not at all unlike Bioware's single-player games - they always have plenty of side-quests.

So, yeah, I have no use for 12x xp.

Maybe you don't have, but others have :rolleyes:

Maybe you don't have, but others have :rolleyes:

No maybe about it. I definitely don't have.

That said...all things equal, I have no objection to other people playing the game however they want. If Bioware wants to offer 12x xp, I have no problem with it...I can still play the way I want to.

UNLESS - doing so would decrease the lifespan of the game. That would impact me. And depending on the conditions required to unlock it, I think there is that possibility. But...hopefully Bioware/EA also doesn't want to decrease the lifespan of the game, and if they offer it in the future, it will be in a way that doesn't - if there is a way that doesn't. If there isn't, I hope they don't offer it.

Also, Clarian, difference is in, say, Mass Effect, you can skip every side quest and still BEAT THE GAME.

Really? You can skip all that and still be powerful enough to win the final battle? Not that I'm saying you're wrong...I've never tried (and never will).

Really? You can skip all that and still be powerful enough to win the final battle? Not that I'm saying you're wrong...I've never tried (and never will).

Aye. Although in the second game that would obviously result in all of your squadmates just...dying. Just DYING.

Edited by Djiini

Questing is the same as Grinding to my knowledge.

It still takes too much time to level that it should.

Sadly this is what grinding means to a lot of people nowadays. As opposed to having to do the same content or even just killing mobs again and again and again and then some more during the lvling process of a single char. With the possibility of losing a days process with a single death.

Edited by Knorlac

It still takes too much time to level that it should.

"Too much time" should not be a factor when talking about a story-based RPG. It could take 10 minutes or it could take 10 months -- so long as you're enjoying the experience.

It's apparent that you do not enjoy the little side quests, and that is understandable. But how about the planetary quest lines? Or the planetary bonus series quest lines? Do you not enjoy those at all either?

Those are far better than the typical fedex / kill 10 rats, actually relate to overarching Republic / Imperial cold war, are well-written, and have real meat to them.

Edited by Khevar

"Too much time" should not be a factor when talking about a story-based RPG. It could take 10 minutes or it could take 10 months -- so long as you're enjoying the experience.

It's apparent that you do not enjoy little the side quests, and that is understandable. But how about the planetary quest lines? Or the planetary bonus series quest lines? Do you not enjoy those at all either?

Those are far better than the typical fedex / kill 10 rats, actually relate to overarching Republic / Imperial cold war, are well-written, and have real meat to them.

10 min is not okay, 10 months is not okay either, really It shouldnt take more than a month (If you have a life) or a week (If you game 10+ hours a day) To get to max level.

Planetary questlines are Cool, since atleast they're questlines aside from the ones I've noted.

"Let's ask the emperor of the sith empire to fetch us 10 carrots."

10 min is not okay, 10 months is not okay either, really It shouldnt take more than a month (If you have a life) or a week (If you game 10+ hours a day) To get to max level.

And that is exactly what is wrong with the current mindset of the gaming community today. I am as casual as they come nowadays but even in my heyday never for once thought it OK that I should finish a game or reach max level in anything under a couple of months at best.

As Khev said, the amount of time is immaterial. If you think games of this nature take to long to finish or max out, then you most certainly need to rethink the types of games you want to play. RPGs, and even more importantly, MMORPGs appear not to be well suited to you ... nor should they.

Edited by TravelersWay

Hmmmm, no it isn't. :rolleyes:

Questing is supposed to be enjoyable; grinding is akin to a chore, hence, not exactly enjoyable.

If you find questing akin to "grinding", it is obvious you are playing the wrong kind of game for you.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Hmmmm, no it isn't. :rolleyes:

Questing is supposed to be enjoyable; grinding is akin to a chore, hence, not exactly enjoyable.

If you find questing akin to "grinding", it is obvious you are playing the wrong kind of game for you.

Side quests ARE a chore

IMO, MMORPGs don't really start until you hit the max level. The leveling process is just like an introduction to your class and/or the game. So from my perspective, there's no harm done to the longevity of the game if the leveling process is significantly truncated for someone that has already leveled the "normal" way.

No MMO ever succeeded or failed because of their leveling process. It's the end-game that defines an MMO. So all this agonizing over how SWTOR will die if 12x XP is brought back is completely misguided and irrational. But then again, this is the internet - so why would I expect anything else. If you suggested the official abbreviation be "SW:TOR" instead of SWTOR, you'd get people screaming that the sky would fall too. Some people just love to cry Armageddon whenever the status quo is challenged. These people generally lack critical thinking ability - simple minds hate change and live in a world of black and white.

Edited by Mavajo

I've always maintained that this should be scaled along with legacy level. The higher your legacy level the higher the class XP multiplier. At legacy level 50 you get 12xp. Once you get to that point you have played most of the content a bajillion times already.

Why? Where is this "1 month / 1 week" coming from?

You might as well try to insist that "blue is the best color"

Planetary questlines are Cool, since atleast they're questlines aside from the ones I've noted.

"Let's ask the emperor of the sith empire to fetch us 10 carrots."

I completely skip over all of the throwaway "10 carrots" quests myself, as I find them boring.

But there is a truly phenomenal amount of NON "10 carrots" quests in this game.

Edited by Khevar

Why? Where is this "1 month / 1 week" coming from?

You might as well try to insist that "blue is the best color"

I completely skip over all of the throwaway "10 carrots" quests myself, as I find them boring.

But there is a truly phenomenal amount of NON "10 carrots" quests in this game.

Yes, those "Collect 10 carrots" quests are supplanted by "Kill 10 mobs" and "Click this thingy" quests instead. Truly riveting stuff that really teaches you the ins and outs of your class and would surely leave you completely unprepared for max level if the duration were ever reduced. Yawn.

Edited by Mavajo

I'm not going to read another hour of 12xp praise posts because I do agree with most of the opinions on it...

I have played the game for about 1 1/2 years now, before 12xp I had 2 toons that were 55, the rest were at about 20ish... The reason being the same as everyone elses, I was completely SICK of doing hours and hours of side quests per planet in order to keep leveled with the storyline. Then they came out with KDY and I never touched a story again, got 2 55s from that (only over a 2xp week though.. it was still a terrible grind...).

But when 12xp came? I was instantly in love. I am not playing the game FOR the story but with the effort they have put into it, it is an amazing chunk of the gameplay, the problem is it's not efficient to run the storyline since you have to do HOURS of quests to keep up level with it. With 12xp you can run storyline all the way through and be on par with the levels the entire way. I love this... I think one of the best things they could do is to bring 12xp in as a legacy perk that can be purchased per toon (probably for an exorbitant amount BUT, i'de pay 2 mil per toon for that anyday ((not no *********** 2 mil for mount while moving BS...)))

Long story short..... with the effort Bioware put into developing these storylines with all the cinematics, give us back the 12xp... for real... you will have MANY MANY players purchasing it and playing the storyline you put so much effort into. If it came back I would immediately buy more character slots and level every advanced class I don't have yet...

Yes, those "Collect 10 carrots" quests are supplanted by "Kill 10 mobs" and "Click this thingy" quests instead. Truly riveting stuff that really teaches you the ins and outs of your class and would surely leave you completely unprepared for max level if the duration were ever reduced. Yawn.

The fact that you keep saying this tells me you've missed quite a bit of bit content in this game.

Things like

Czerka's thing in the desert

Slaying the King of Alderaan

Freeing the Dread Masters

Consolidating Darth Lachris' power

Defeating Darth Arho / Malgus

are not part of your Class quest.

And that's just a few I came up with off of the top of my head. There's quite a bit more to be had.

I think it's sad you're trying to send a message to Bioware that all this stuff should be struck from the game so that you can blaze through on 12x class quests alone. :(

Edited by Khevar

I think it's sad you're trying to send a message to Bioware that all this stuff should be struck from the game so that you can blaze through on 12x class quests alone. :(

Haven't you played this game lately? :p

The kind of stuff you're referring to has been scrapped altogether.

Presumably, the way going forward is having BOTH factions experience a UNIQUE faction story, bearing small to non-existent differences between them.

People who are so eager to skip content altogether gave Bioware the perfect justification to scrap story content, and reduce it to minimal levels.

Kudos to them. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Also, kudos to "Personal Phase". It is the path to salvation apparently.

Edited by Darth_Wicked