Why 12x xp is the best thing Swtor has ever gotten

Makrogai

Dont be like: "Not another 12x thread". Well Yeah it is, I want it back, and it's the best thing they've ever done with the game.

You get to experience the class stories fast, I and MANY others were driven away from the fun of class stories since there are just too many slow side quests in the way of Class stories, as far as I can tell swtor is the most grindy MMO I've ever played, I used 3 months on getting my Imperial agent to 44, before I just gave up on voss, I couldnt take the side quests anymore, sad thing though, is that I liked the class quests. So I made a new acc, got the 12x xp thing and my god is this the best thing I've ever been with.

This effect practically made this game the second best MMO for me (I'm a WoW Fanboy, deal with it.) The story is just amazing and everything, I feel like Im important I matter, and I have a role. Side quests are just like: "Go collect 12 ranchor legs to feed the old couple that has no money left." And there are no ways of skipping conversations inbetween either, so it's even slower. "Well, why would you pay to skip the game?" You don't skip anything, the glory of this game lies in the class quests, not the side quests, none of us asked for side quests. Not a single side quest matters at all, there is a quest about getting some droid parts that can repair themselves and give them to the empire, yet there is NOTHING about it afterwards, you hear nothing, and yeah.

Class quests however you feel like the things you do matter. Say (To avoid spoilers) you are the hutt, then you buy up all the gangs in the universe, then other NPCS in the class quests will react to that, and you get conversation choices say that you have bought them all up. Side quests are like: (Say that you're the emperor) "Oh hey, it's the emperor of the Sith empire, can you collect a ranchor head for me? I'd like it for my soup!" Doesent matter.

Now that I've *****ed about Side quests let me begin the real deal.

You get introduced to the game in a fast and a fun way by having the 12x xp buff, You learn abilities slowly, and you don't have the problem with abilities being impossible to get before 55/60 (Seriously, there are abilities that cost 100K to upgrade)

There is enough challenge with this buff, since you don't do side quests you become undergearred, giving you a bit of a challenge, if you have a hard time, just become friends with someone else to help you, or buy from GTN. You get to know more about the GTN (If you're new) Or to make friends, useful after all.

It still takes time to level even with the buff, sure a guy managed to do it in 8 hours, but it's an elitetist, and have we ever seen another guy that has done that? No. Average person (Including myself) Will use good 2 days, if not less/more to get to max level, even while max there are still tons of things to do. Want to Immerse yourself? Go back to previous planets and do the Side quests (If you like them of course) Want to PVE? Well it's a grind, take your time, PVP? It's still a grind, plenty of things to do. Roleplaying? That's even more awesome, immerse yourself to the most with roleplaying.

"I WOULD LIKE 2X XP BUT NOT 12X FORGET IT; WHY WOULD WE SKIP CONTENENENET?"

Simple answer, don't *********** buy/unlock the buff if you want to do the vast ammounts of Side quests. Just because you like Side quests doesent mean 99% of the playerbase does. Just because you have 11 level 60's over every class, doesent mean that everyone has one. Just because you got a lot of free time and have time to listen to all quests doesent mean that everyone has. This argument gets flat really Ignore this.

"UHUHU YOU WANT TO GIEV EA MORE MONEYH?!"

Well without our money, where you Swtor be? This game is free to play (To some extent) A game that is free to play should have microtransactions, else they wont be making money, this is a pretty bad argument but whatever. Heck, free to play gets less XP and rewards than Subscribers, it takes even longer for them to level, 12x xp. Soloution (Put it behind a pay wall of course.)

Now this would have to cost much money. I've come up with the price of 60 bucks? Why? We already have the ultimate leveling back, which is 5000 CC as far as I can tell, even with that leveling is slow. You can either throw the pack right out of the window and give players who has purchased it within a month or something a refund, or you can make the Boost overpriced.

Either way, this the best way that has happened to Swtor, there really isnt anything bad about it.

-Good for people with little time, makes leveling quite fast

-Has a challenge, under leveling means more focus. If not, you can make friends or learn how to play the GTN.

-For people that hates side quests that doesent affect anything in the world what so ever this is good.

-Free to play noobs (No offense) will have a better time leveling. Could make it like, when you create an account, you get 1 hour free 12x xp to lure people into buying it.

-Class quests are awesome.

As I said, if you dont like it, dont buy/use/unlock it.

Just Bioware/EA, I beg you on my very knees, bring this back. I am not the only one, the forums are full of these posts, it's getting overwhelmingly positive feedback. Put if behind a paywall, make me run from norway to sweden, I dont care, just bring it back and I will throw my money at you. Please.

Edited by Makrogai

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I mourn the loss of story content, and the fact we ONLY have one single story going for both factions, I only need to remember of threads such as these. :rolleyes:

You bring a point honestly, Every single class no matter what will still get the same quests after their starting planets. You can't escape sidequests. You can escape class quests however, If you dont like them, just reroll. Mirrored classes are a good thing

If you dont like the Jedi knight story, reroll the sith warrior and see if you like it, they're almost exactly the same in every single way.

I would generally agree with the sentiment that 12XP was ONE of the greatest additions to the game. For me it was the best time I have had playing, period.

I had NO IDEA the stories were as good as they are, being drowned in side quest noise. Once that noise was lifted I noticed things I had never noticed before, and really enjoyed the storylines, even some I had gone through once before.

I look forward to seeing this added as a game feature in the future.

I would also say that Solo Mode Flashpoints is the 2nd best thing ever.

Agreed, I still wish that they remove Legacy of the Rakata flashpoint or make us skip it, its damned awful even with the support bot. Talking about the Support bot, It's the best companion ever created.

You get to experience the class stories fast, I and MANY others were driven away from the fun of class stories since there are just too many slow side quests in the way of Class stories, as far as I can tell swtor is the most grindy MMO I've ever played,.....

I normaly consider this rude and refrain from doing it, but....I stopped reading there.

The only explanation I can come up with is that this the only MMO you ever played. There isn't any real grind involved at all as you don't have to repeat a quest on a single char at all. Try having to kill 100s of mobs without there even being a quest for it just to lvl up enough to be able to tackle the next real quest.

On top of not having to grind in any true sense in TOR, you even get fully voiced quests with cinematics where you even change up dialogue choices instead of a wall of text that tries to explain to you, why you have to kill 50 rats.

Edited by Knorlac

I had NO IDEA the stories were as good as they are, being drowned in side quest noise. Once that noise was lifted I noticed things I had never noticed before, and really enjoyed the storylines, even some I had gone through once before. .

You've just said the best thing I've ever heard. Or the best argument ever.

It's like reading a book Next to a neignbour. The neignbour plays LOUD

(Music is the side quests) And you're trying to read the book (The book is the class quests), well it's pretty hard when it interruption from everywhere at once. Now say that the music was gone, you'd have full concentration about the book and can witness everything it has to offer and all the fun it has (I hate books, but it's just a comparison.)

* snip *

Your analogy makes little sense.

A more appropriate one would have you reading a book, but seeing that certain chapters are grindy for you, you'd skip them altogether. You'd have a blast reading War and Peace for example; for sure.

Same with watching a movie or a TV series pretty much. Skip, skip, skip.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I normaly consider this rude and refrain from doing it, but....I stopped reading there.

The only explanation I can come up with is that this the only MMO you ever played. There isn't any real grind involved at all as you don't have to repeat a quest on a single char at all. Try having to kill 100s of mobs without there even being a quest for it just to lvl up enough to be able to tackle the next real quest.

On top of not having to grind in any true sense in TOR, you even get fully voiced quests with cinematics where you even change up dialogue choices instead of a wall of text that tries to explain to you, why you have to kill 50 rats.

As I said, Sidequests are still boring bland and straight up suck.

And I've played plenty of MMOS

Warhammer MMO (R.I.P)

Archeage

Wildstar

WoW

Swtor

Rift

Tera

Guildwars 2

ESO

Probably some more

That said, Archeage and WoW are the only MMOS that has had a nice leveling experience. It's fast to level, not to hard, and it's easy. While I hate Archeage with my body and soul, it still has a fast and smooth leveling experience.

As for say, not everyone enjoys voice acted quests all the time, not everyone enjoys wasting 10 seconds skipping trough each quest to pick them up. If they suddenly want to read about the quest, just read it in the quest log. As I said in the post, you can stay and listen all you want, but there are again people that hates to listen to Irellevant NPC's talking.

In another thread, I was arguing in favor of giving us the possibility to replay the class story on a char that already did it. I'd still go for a version where you can choose to do the instances you want to do from a terminal, but the 12x XP event taught me one thing...Doing the class story only was the most boring experience I had with TOR, yet as 90% of the time is spent travelling from A to B and back again, with no backstory to support it.

Your analogy makes little sense.

A more appropriate one would have you reading a book, but seeing that certain chapters are grindy for you, you'd skip them altogether. You'd have a blast reading War and Peace for example; for sure.

Same with watching a movie or a TV series pretty much. Skip, skip, skip.

Well difference with a movie and a game

With a movie, you may miss important things if you skip trough, and wont understand what's happening

Side quests tells you nothing aside from chores. Class quests already tells you what's happening on the planet and why. You don'y exactly miss anything from skipping.

TOR is literally the least grindy MMO I've ever played in my life. City of Heroes withstanding.

Still, 12x EXP pls.

Wait, did you just compliment Archeage? Did you miss its launch or something?

Edited by Djiini

In another thread, I was arguing in favor of giving us the possibility to replay the class story on a char that already did it. I'd still go for a version where you can choose to do the instances you want to do from a terminal, but the 12x XP event taught me one thing...Doing the class story only was the most boring experience I had with TOR, yet as 90% of the time is spent travelling from A to B and back again, with no backstory to support it.

Well is side quests any better? You do a quest hub, move on to the next quest hub, do that, next, do that next, next planet, quest hub, quest hub, traveling. Sure it feels like you travel more with the class quests, but in the reality you travel just about the same speed as without the buff.

TOR is literally the least grindy MMO I've ever played in my life. City of Heroes withstanding.

Still, 12x EXP pls.

Wait, did you just compliment Archeage? Did you miss its launch or something?

"While I still hate archeage with my body and soul--"

Launch was pretty bad yeah, but leveling was still okay.

With a movie, you may miss important things if you skip trough, and wont understand what's happening

Side quests tells you nothing aside from chores. Class quests already tells you what's happening on the planet and why. You don'y exactly miss anything from skipping.

Side quests, in addition to planetary quest chains, are as much part of this game's story as are the class stories. Same with the early and late level flashpoints, that usually focused on secondary war scenarios.

Right now, moving forward, NOT ONLY we have one single story, but an IDENTICAL faction story for BOTH factions.

As I said earlier, whenever I am reminded of such, I only need to remember of threads such as these, where people both admonish and / or take issue with Bioware's original game plan, which was to provide a plethora of story, from all corners and all directions.

Salutations, gentle beings.

I might be able to understand your sentiment, if you were doing those sidequests for the Nth time, although I don't mind doing them again with my 20th char right now. But the main planet arcs are just as enthralling as the class quests and depending on the class and planet even more so IMO, if you're doing them for the first time.

I would argue that the side quests are not connected to your class story, but instead are their own story often enough.

That is not to say there are not good side stories....there are, quite a few in fact that I enjoy. But it still muddled the class story, more than I was aware.

It is actually like reading a serious novel, and reading 3 or 4 cheap novels at the same time, jumping from one book to the next for every chapter....the serious novel gets drowned out a bit by the other 3 or 4 short stories you are reading.

To me most, not all but most of the side stories and quests are noise.

And I am one that takes very clear issue with Bioware's original design plan for this game, which in my opinion was wrought with narrowminded restrictions, myopic design choices and poor judgement, not to mention quality issues abound. it was their first MMO, so I give them a pass on some of what I see as clear mistakes in design.

Most of those "mistakes" have been corrected by the new dev team....thankfully.

Edited by LordArtemis

"While I still hate archeage with my body and soul--"

Launch was pretty bad yeah, but leveling was still okay.

Never getting my $150 for Founder's Package back. Blah.

But yeah, I think 12x EXP for anyone who's gotten both an Imperial and Republic char to max level the 'normal' way would be pretty sweetastic.

That said, I will fight everyone to the death if I have to, In order to convince you that 12x xp is a good thing. Bring it.

I don't mind the 12x xp as long as I get to opt out going forward at all. I'm just contesting some of the reasons you gave for wanting it.

I definitely think 12XP should be a Legacy unlock item.

This is my suggestion for a proposed 12XP system.

I actually hope that Bioware is forward thinking enough to recognize the market, the appeal of 12XP and ignore folks that cling to traditional MMO values. It would benefit the game, not harm it IMO. Arguments to the contrary are simply not realistic in my eyes. It is this kind of myopic traditional "tunnel vision" that caused the game to stumble in the first place from my perspective.

As I have said more than once, If they were to do Legacy Xp as a 12XP vehicle, this is how I suggest it should be done. I have modified it a bit to make the XP boost universal across ALL content, including GSF, Flashpoints and Ops to promote that kind of play for those that wish to only level that way.

LEGACY EXPERIENCE I - IV

1) Account wide legacy perk

2) For subscribers only. Perk would be disabled if you go preferred, not available to F2P.

3) For every core class (mirrors) you complete the chapter 3 questline, you get the ability to unlock a 3X XP bonus through legacy. 4 chapter 3 completions, 12X XP unlocked.

4) Each unlock would require a minimum of legacy level 20 and would cost 50k/100k/150k/200k or 60/60/60/60 coins.

5) Toggle would exist to disable when desired.

6) XP boost would apply to ALL content that provides XP, including end game content.

That way folks have to complete the storyline for each core class first (one of the mirrors in each core) before you get the buff. They can also choose to level their characters in alternate ways if they wish, avoiding the storyline and planet leveling entirely for alts....naturally they have to do the planetary leveling at least once for the unlock.

This is a great way to increase the appeal of a sub.

You would only have to level up 4 core mirrors to get the complete 12XP, and it would come to you incrementally as you leveled each class naturally...so you would first get 3, then 6, then 9, then finally 12.

So this is how it would work if it was set up as I suggested.

You are a subscriber.

You level Knight or Warrior to chapter 3 completion.

A legacy option for 3X XP boost can now be unlocked in Legacy (Legacy Experience I) for 50k/60 coins.

You next level an Sage or Inq to chapter 3 completion, using the 3X XP boost to skip some side quests.

A legacy option for another 3X XP boost can now be unlocked in Legacy (Legacy Experience II) for 100k/60 coins.

You next level a Trooper or BH to chapter 3, using the 6X XP boost (cumulative) to skip a good portion of side quests.

Next legacy option opens up for another 3X XP boost (Legacy Experience III) for 150k/60 coins.

Next you level a Smuggler or Agent to chapter 3, using the 9X XP boost (cumulative) to skip most of the side quests.

The final legacy option opens for another 3X XP boost (Legacy Experience IV) for 200k/60 coins.

From now on you will have 12XP available for all toons you level in your legacy. This will be ACCOUNT WIDE and will be for subscribers only. You will also have an option to turn off the boost if you wish using a toggle. It will apply to all forms of content, so you can level new alts anywhere you wish.

Added to this, I would unlock as a perk, once you reach legacy Experience IV two packs of comms you would be get when creating a new character. The packs would be for a level 10, would contain 198 Basic comms (two packs of 99 comms each) to assist in gearing for the character. This would be account wide, once for every character you create.