New Yavin companion armor - Bioware just artificially extending game play?

Screaming_Ziva

I also enjoyed the fact that Rishi and Yavin were perfectly doable in the gear available at the time you stepped on Rishi/Yavin.

You are also forgetting that a Companion in a 192 gear is not at all equal to a player in a 192 gear. The companions have an inferior AI and curtailed set of abilities, compared to a player. My understanding is that the high rating of gear addresses the issue of 'Khem Val is made of paper!" and "Quinn is not much of a healer."So, a companion geared in 192 is not the same as your character geared in 192.

How's this: I'd rather get a set of moddable companion gear than a static set. I'd prefer it to be BoL, not BoL AND to named companion (because what if I think Kira would look good in Ashara's outfit, or whatever). But moddable gear means that I *could* technically rip out the mods and give them to my character.

So I'm upset that BW chose to give me gear I likely won't wear because of the looks because it made the gear level so high that they can't give me a moddable version, even though anything from 172-180 would still be a vast improvement over having to farm credits or comms to buy my companion gear while working towards 186+ myself without worrying that that I could use that gear to give myself an unfair advantage in endgame (186+) content.

And since I have a personal preference for reductio ad absurdum argument, I presented my position in the way that I thought would most highlight what I thought was the absurdity of the situation.

Edited by eartharioch

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's this: I'd rather get a set of moddable companion gear than a static set. I'd prefer it to be BoL, not BoL AND to named companion (because what if I think Kira would look good in Ashara's outfit, or whatever). But moddable gear means that I *could* technically rip out the mods and give them to my character.

So I'm upset that BW chose to give me gear I likely won't wear because of the looks because it made the gear level so high that they can't give me a moddable version, even though anything from 172-180 would still be a vast improvement over having to farm credits or comms to buy my companion gear while working towards 186+ myself without worrying that that I could use that gear to give myself an unfair advantage in endgame (186+) content.

And since I have a personal preference for reductio ad absurdum argument, I presented my position in the way that I thought would most highlight what I thought was the absurdity of the situation.

To be honest, your statement here makes a lot more sense to me than your earlier statement.

To be honest, your statement here makes a lot more sense to me than your earlier statement.

It's pretty much what I've been saying all along. I'm annoyed that they're giving us better gear for our companions than we get, I'm annoyed that they're going back to fixed stat armor and weapons, and I'm annoyed that the reason they're giving us fixed stat gear is because they're giving our companions better gear than they're giving us.

I don't think anybody needs 192 gear companions to succeed, especially by the time a character can complete the Yavin Weekly. I think it's insulting for the devs to offer it to us, and I think that only somebody who truly needed it more than their pride would use it.

It's pretty much what I've been saying all along. I'm annoyed that they're giving us better gear for our companions than we get, I'm annoyed that they're going back to fixed stat armor and weapons, and I'm annoyed that the reason they're giving us fixed stat gear is because they're giving our companions better gear than they're giving us.

I don't think anybody needs 192 gear companions to succeed, especially by the time a character can complete the Yavin Weekly. I think it's insulting for the devs to offer it to us, and I think that only somebody who truly needed it more than their pride would use it.

This here is exactly the reason why gear has fixed stats. Everyone would just rip the mods out and put them in to their own armor and keep companions in 116s.

The problem is that there's no way that any self respecting person should think that this is gear is earned, or something that should be worn with anything other than a sense of shame and personal inadequacy.

Or a sense of "who gives a ****"? Of course I don't want them to just hand us a set of 192 right out the gate, but all this new gear means to me is that I can spend my comms on alts and off-specs without having to worry about my 5-6 woefully undergeared companions. I have better things to worry about than min-maxing my companions, at least for now.

Or a sense of "who gives a ****"? Of course I don't want them to just hand us a set of 192 right out the gate, but all this new gear means to me is that I can spend my comms on alts and off-specs without having to worry about my 5-6 woefully undergeared companions. I have better things to worry about than min-maxing my companions, at least for now.

You wouldn't need to worry if the gear wasn't 192 and was "only" 172-180 either.

You wouldn't need to worry if the gear wasn't 192 and was "only" 172-180 either.

Since all of my companions are usually in their initial gear, except for the one I'm using most, I kinda do worry. If I'm grouped with a healer, there's really no reason for me to use Elara, but she's the only one I have geared to a reasonable level. This new gear will solve that problem.

Since all of my companions are usually in their initial gear, except for the one I'm using most, I kinda do worry. If I'm grouped with a healer, there's really no reason for me to use Elara, but she's the only one I have geared to a reasonable level. This new gear will solve that problem.

I understand. What I'm saying is that 172-180 gear (instead of 192) would also solve that problem, and the outfits could have been made modifiable because devs wouldn't have to worry that players could rip it out and get endgame gear (186+).

Edited by eartharioch

hell yeah il take these armor sets no problem. the problem happens as you go that most of your comps get ignored because they dont help or just because one is better then the others;

JK/SI/JC/SW/troop/BH tank builds - broonmark, pierce, qyzen, felix, khem, xalek, scourge, t7-01,blizz, skadge, tanno, m1-4x and treek (tank)

SI/JC/smug/IA/BH/troop healer builds - mako, lokin, talos, elara, tharan, risha, ship droid, and treek (heal)

i mean why would you want two healers, no real dps, healing each other?

why would you want two tanks, no real dps just taking damage and threat until both go out?

so this comp armour set will give these others a chance to be useful for once. i just hope that all of it is fixed and that stats for example khem val's blade gets a dramatic increase in primary stats because if it doesn't, i wont even bother to notice it.

Edited by Celise

It's not that it's bad for characters to use gear that they've actually earned. The problem is that there's no way that any self respecting person should think that this is gear is earned, or something that should be worn with anything other than a sense of shame and personal inadequacy.

This has got to be a troll post. Or a joke. Something.

You simply cannot be serious. And if you are, save yourself and say you're not.

I don't want the game giving my companions better gear than I can wear, much less gear that I can give alts who can't even wear gear of that level for their companions. I like my character, and people's characters, not companions and other NPCs to be the stars of the show.

Then you can make that call for yourself. When you start paying my sub fee, I'll start playing the way you want me to play,

Edited by branmakmuffin

This has got to be a troll post. Or a joke. Something.

You simply cannot be serious. And if you are, save yourself and say you're not.

Sorry, only GSIsus saves.

Then you can make that call for yourself. When you start paying my sub fee, I'll start playing the way you want me to play,

When you start paying *my* sub fee, you can demand that I group with you.

This here is exactly the reason why gear has fixed stats. Everyone would just rip the mods out and put them in to their own armor and keep companions in 116s.

Wait:eek: What:eek: Were suppose to gear them up? Starter gear looks so spiffy:)

SI/JC/smug/IA/BH/troop healer builds - mako, lokin, talos, elara, tharan, risha, ship droid, and treek (heal)

So, you're heal Merc... give Cunning set to Gault, get 192 sniper rifle and knife (if you already have these for HK then you're already covered). That same set can be used by, including but not limited to, Vette, Risha and Temple.

Or let's say you're heal spec Commando. Your all companions use Aim so Elara, and both dps companions use exact same set.

I think the companion armor is fine, my only objection to using it is that it takes away any special "look" you had for your companions. But if the look is more important than the 192 stats, just gear your companions up in 186 mods that are fully craftable (and cheaper to make now that the slots have lowered the price of grade 11 purples).

• 1 month later...

Love it. Running dailies with each one of my companions is going to be nice. A subtle shift in play style and not having to listen to the same 3 comments every 15 seconds is quite the gift from Bioware.

I'll take it!