Dear Bioware: Will we ever get prequel-style Jedi outfits?

Alec_Fortescue

Why did this thread die? I don't like it that there aren't any traditional robes in the game.

The Jedi Knight is one of the leading classes for this game. They feature in a lot of the game's advertisements, yet they can't produce traditional robes?

KOTOR I and II had them. We should too.

This is Star Wars. We're playing Jedi. Jedi robes should be in this game!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with you. Can't understand why there are no robes like the classic ones from prequel Obi-Wan and Anakin. Still waiting for that. We have some robes that look a bit like that, but it's still not totally immersive. I hope Bioware has something for us in the closer future.

Look for Relnex's armor set on the GTN. That's the closest you can get in this game to the prequel look.

Already got that one, but i think the armor of the exiled knight looks better. But these two armor sets are the only one that look a bit like the prequel robes.

Has this question even been asked at a Cantina tour?

Unfortunately, no. Never asked in the "official" part. However I had someone ask Ben when he was touring and chatting with guests. Don't know any specifics other than there being issues with that specific outfit.

They had to change Unrelenting Interceptor's sounds because they sounded too much like Vader breathing, even though the item was around for several months before someone "important" noticed.. -_- This is absolutely ridiculous that they can't use Star Wars sounds / images in a Star Wars game.

If you're heading to a cantina tour, please ask for traditional Jedi robes and specifics - is there anything being done to bring them to the game?

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

• 2 weeks later...

Any word about them from celebration? I saw Charles Boyd teasing again in unattainable, hood down traditional Jedi robes....

https://photos.smugmug.com/Events/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Orlando-Cantina-2017-Highlights/i-8XFZwrM/0/XL/SWTOR_CANTINA_2017_STARWARS_CELEBRATION_22-XL.jpg

^ This ain't cool, Charles. Please let us have something like this in game with decent leg model or long chest + hood down.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Any word about them from celebration? I saw Ben Irving teasing again in unattainable, hood down traditional Jedi robes....

You know, I hate to say this, but... I think you're a bit too fixated on receiving something that isn't even supported by lore. You want movie era Jedi robes, right? But the prequel era is over 3,500 years after the time period TOR takes place in, according to the old EU timeline. Why would robes that look just like prequel era ones even exist? They've given us Relnex's robes which look somewhat similar (and are based on a non-player character in TOR that you get quests from), and other sets from the Cartel Packs as well as from in-game drops and crafting that look similar (Exiled Knight, Exited Master, Oathkeeper, etc.). We've also been given robes based on Jedi characters from the KotOR games (Vrook, Juhani, Atris, Kreia, Jolee, Bastila, etc.), which are far more appropriate for this time period than the prequel era ones ever would be. And look at the NPCs from the Jedi stories, especially the ones on the Council... none of them wear prequel-era looking robes! Canonically that particular style is not 'in' yet! :p

I honestly think your repeated demands for a very specific and particular style of robe (which you can already get similar items to in-game) from a Star Wars time period thousands of years after TOR takes place have reached the point of becoming unreasonable, even obsessive. It's like complaining that a set that looks just like Darth Vader's armor doesn't exist in game... Darth Vader doesn't exist yet, and won't for thousands of years, so why would there be an outfit just like his in this time period? Same thing with the prequel Jedi.

Edited by AscendingSky

While I am not a fan of jedi robes, there is a humble hero jedi set that is in the cartel shop resembles Luke's outfit from Return of the Jedi so there is precedent set for those types of Jedi outfits and furthermore, I doubt Jedi outfits were that much different in this time line than the prequel jedi.

He at lease should get a proper response and I support his right to ask for these outfits, even if my Jedi will never wear Jedi outfits.

Humble Hero Set:

https://www.google.com/search?q=humble+hero+swtor&rlz=1C1OPRA_enUS523US528&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIl4i5_avTAhVB1CYKHehUATYQsAQINg&biw=1920&bih=950&dpr=1#imgrc=OlOXiYbcAFQqUM:

Luke's Return of the Jedi Outfit:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110113181757/starwars/images/b/ba/LukeJedi.jpg

Edited by casirabit

While I am not a fan of jedi robes, there is a humble jedi set that is in the cartel shop resembles Luke's outfit from Return of the Jedi so there is precedent set for those types of Jedi outfits and furthermore, I doubt Jedi outfits were that much different in this time line than the prequel jedi.

He at lease should get a proper response and I support his right to ask for these outfits, even if my Jedi will never wear Jedi outfits.

To address your first point, looking at the outfits actual Jedi NPCs wear in this game show that the 'traditional' Jedi robes he's demanding aren't really all that 'traditional' at this point. Some Jedi wear somewhat similar outfits, but others wear vastly different looking ones. Look at the KotOR games, and there's even more different outfits! So obviously Jedi fashion has gone through some quite different phases, and the current Order isn't at the point like in the Prequels, where most Jedi wear extremely similar and homogenized outfits (which are the ones he's been asking for over the past 5 years).

As much as I am all in favor of developer communication with the players of this game, I don't see why they should have to pin themselves down to a definite yes or no on a particular style of outfit from the prequel movies. What if they say yes but then never get around to making them for whatever reason (lack of time, lack of manpower, unable to come up with a design that they like, etc.)? Or what if the person demanding them on here decides they're not perfect enough (since there are already outfits in game that are very very very close to what he's asking for already)? Then people would be mad at them, and that's the last thing EAWare wants right now, more player ill-will.

If 'traditional' (for the prequel movie era, not the KotOR or TOR era, which is thousands of years earlier) Jedi robes show up in the Cartel Market one day, hey, great, it doesn't hurt anything. But EAWare is not required to give an official response on whether they may theoretically ever produce a CM item with that look, and it would be a bad idea for them to pin themselves down on that issue in the first place.

Edited by AscendingSky

Of course there are but there are small gives like this that can buy a lot of good will, you know make certain things available, fix some of the music that doesn't fit to what your characters doing (seriously it's down right weird to be attacked by a pack of Rakghouls and have this smooth jazz ambiance music playing) add more quality of life things, I know for a fact they have the man power and they can still work on the big things, it's not a either or, the problem is people that know nothing about how games are actually developed thinking that if something else is being worked on in the background it is taking away from their wants.

You know, I hate to say this, but... I think you're a bit too fixated on receiving something that isn't even supported by lore. You want movie era Jedi robes, right? But the prequel era is over 3,500 years after the time period TOR takes place in, according to the old EU timeline. Why would robes that look just like prequel era ones even exist?

Because they existed nearly from the very beginnings of the Jedi order in the EU timeline, in which SWTOR is still set in. In fact they used them for advertising material (timeline videos), they appeared numerous times in KotOR comics and were featured predominantly in KotOR 2 so your argument is false. Not supported by any lore. Kek. There is pictorial evidence in this thread from the said sources.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't understand people who come here to speak against iconic Jedi robes in SWTOR. I see some very passionate people here who provided all the possible evidence which should be enough to counter all the nay-sayers. These robes exist throughout millennias of in the old Star Wars canon. Deal with it. Admit that they're right. If you're bothered by people bringing up this topic so often then use ignore button. This is actually curious and makes me wonder if you're genuine posters as the traditional Jedi robes are the only outfit request that gets countered. Everything else is either supported or ignored.

Even if Bioware isn't behind those post I'd like to take this occassion and just request some honesty. Please talk to us and tell us what is happening. Hood-down iconic Jedi robes, as they appeared in KotOR 2 example, are probably the single most request outfit and sought after item. The amount of people I see in-game who "desperately" try to imitate that look with existing pieces to pathetic effects is actually significant.

Seeing how responsive and passionate Keith seems I really hope that this matter will get some attention.

Alec summed it up all greatly with his most recent picture: http://imgur.com/EsWEb7E All we need at this stage is retexturing. Why are Bioware dodging this so much?

Also Alec even made so many interesting alternatives (though of questionable quality in paint) which are composed of already existing pieces in the game.

This is a small thing which in no way should interfere with your production schedules given how you have a dedicated team making armor sets already for cartel market.

If you are concerned about those outfits messing up sales of other cartel items then simply make them a seasonal purchase like ESO does.

I don't understand people who come here to speak against iconic Jedi robes in SWTOR. I see some very passionate people here who provided all the possible evidence which should be enough to counter all the nay-sayers. These robes exist throughout millennias of in the old Star Wars canon. Deal with it. Admit that they're right. If you're bothered by people bringing up this topic so often then use ignore button. This is actually curious and makes me wonder if you're genuine posters as the traditional Jedi robes are the only outfit request that gets countered. Everything else is either supported or ignored.

Even if Bioware isn't behind those post I'd like to take this occassion and just request some honesty. Please talk to us and tell us what is happening. Hood-down iconic Jedi robes, as they appeared in KotOR 2 example, are probably the single most request outfit and sought after item. The amount of people I see in-game who "desperately" try to imitate that look with existing pieces to pathetic effects is actually significant.

Seeing how responsive and passionate Keith seems I really hope that this matter will get some attention.

Alec summed it up all greatly with his most recent picture: http://imgur.com/EsWEb7E All we need at this stage is retexturing. Why are Bioware dodging this so much?

Also Alec even made so many interesting alternatives (though of questionable quality in paint) which are composed of already existing pieces in the game.

This is a small thing which in no way should interfere with your production schedules given how you have a dedicated team making armor sets already for cartel market.

If you are concerned about those outfits messing up sales of other cartel items then simply make them a seasonal purchase like ESO does.

BW has added many "Jedi" sets. The problem is that those sets are not EXACTLY what some people want and so those people have continuously found SOME MINOR FLAW as to why they are not "traditional Jedi attire". EVERY Jedi set BW has introduced has been rejected out of hand by some, for no reason other than it is not EXACTLY what they want to see.

BW has added many "Jedi" sets. The problem is that those sets are not EXACTLY what some people want and so those people have continuously found SOME MINOR FLAW as to why they are not "traditional Jedi attire". EVERY Jedi set BW has introduced has been rejected out of hand by some, for no reason other than it is not EXACTLY what they want to see.

That's bogus ... the complaints about the many "Jedi" sets is always the same. The question is why BWA has ignored the feedback. All of the "Jedi" sets have one or more of the following flaws:

1) Superfluous armor attachments (generally on the shoulders)

2) Belt outside of the outer robe

3) Short-sleeve outer robe

4) Disjointed chest / pant models (i.e. flaps that magically disappear from the chest piece)

5) Hood-up

That's bogus ... the complaints about the many "Jedi" sets is always the same. The question is why BWA has ignored the feedback. All of the "Jedi" sets have one or more of the following flaws:

4) Disjointed chest / pant models (i.e. flaps that magically disappear from the chest piece)

5) Hood-up

But Sportiva, you're nitpicking!

Big problem is that Bioware just makes itself appear as completely ignoring the requests. Quick search shows that these "specific" robes have been requested so many times like no other items. Instead they dodge and make weird things and don't even bother to sort out the issues of no hood-down alternative, knowing how bothersome hoods are to so many players in a cinematic role-playing game.

Seriously, there are two absolutely perfect examples coming from a KotOR game we've been giving for years. Neither of these would be difficult to mode land put into the game especially given the fact that we have Exiled Master on NPCs with hood down and a skirt leg mode which could be retextured to match the chest.

http://i.imgur.com/9ha8ELu.jpg

Also this model was designed by Obsidian. It differs from what we see in the movies and never appeared in the prequels. Tunic design is completely different and so is the thicker cloak. But is nevertheless a great piece which follows the traditional Jedi style. I don't know why it's okay to have almost every other single kotor 1 and 2 outfit in the game but not this one:

http://i.imgur.com/2NoBT6o.jpg

Please, this really isn't much to ask. This is meant to be a Star Wars game :l

Keith, please help.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

5) Hood-up

As I stated, the sets that BW has introduced are not EXACTLY what some people want to see, and so those find flaws with every single one of them.

Some of those people have even threatened to quit, or even stated that they are quitting and would not be returning until BW catered to them and gave them EXACTLY what they wanted, yet they are still here posting, so they must still be subscribing.

Hejcia? All good? Ok straight to business then. I just can't believe the above poster. There is only one set in the game that's, sure, traditional Jedi robes however it comes with a major flaw of a conal leg piece instead of a knee-long tunic or even something like the Loyal Adherent. It looks absolutely dreadful and is a prime example of bad armor set design. There also remains an issue of a forced hood which is a nightmare for people coming for cinematic experience. Of course we reject it. Exiled Master is awful with it's clipping and stretching.

We've been providing a very clear and simple example for years and it seems it is beeing dodged on purpose:

http://imgur.com/2NoBT6o

http://imgur.com/9ha8ELu

Differences from what's in the game are MAJOR. This isn't an issue of us being hard to please. This is an issue of us being refused a simple, basic and iconic Star Wars outfit which should have in the game from the start.

Edited by ebikenebi

The core issue in this constant gibbering about "iconic Jedi" outfits is that there is no such thing really.

There are broad guidelines as laid down by Lucas over the years, and extended and extended by 3rd parties producing creative content of one form or another on the back of Lucas' original lore for the franchise.

Generally, in these sorts of discussions, someone gets their pants in a bunch over what they personally desire as "iconic" and then get even more worked up when other suggest ways to largely achieve a very similar look with the encumbent gear selection in game.

These "iconic" demanders, can of course pull any particular graphic off the web from wherever to ply their case, or even create their own. Yet they seem unable to take a selection of pieces from the very wide range of gear available 5 years in to this game and tune-up a set and appearance that largely reflects their desire. Instead, they demand the studio custom make their particular version of desired "iconic", and rail on anyone who disagrees or tries to help them move forward with incumbent gear in game.

There is NO STANDARD for "iconic" in the Star Wars universe, and never has been. It's wide open for personal interpretation and demands. Lucas himself has constantly tinkered with gear appearance in the movies over time. Take Storm Troopers for example.... some people embrace the appearance from the original Episode 4 as the "iconic look". Yet Lucas was constantly tinkering with appearance in each movie... on the auspices of gear localized for whatever location the Troopers were operating in. And Disney is continuing this constant evolution.

TL;DR: operating mentally on the premise that there are true "iconic" gear appearance in the Star Wars universe ignores the fact that in the universe Lucas created..... the galaxy and everyone in it are very accustomed to personalized and somewhat random appearance. It's a very free form universe.... even among the Jedi.

Edited by Andryah

Andryah, you're derailing and being irrelevant. You're catching me by terms I use but no matter what I say haters always do that.

I used traditional to describe them because wookiepedia page gives my desired robes as a prime example. Still bad.

I started to say iconic because it simply is: just pop Jedi into google and see what comes out. According to google most of the internet sees them as iconic. But it's still bad despite being set up by people and fans and represented by google search.

If you have better alternatives on how to call them, go ahead. But I see so many posts just bashing for calling them traditional or iconic even though both google and primary source of Star Wars information refer to that specific design as such.

And this specific design appeared in almost countless official Star Wars media in stories ranging from as early as pre-KotOR and as late as Legacy stories. That specific design was used so much for a reason and it not incorrect to refer to it as iconic. It became an iconic look, there is no point in denying it. You can find officially licensed pictorial evidence of it existing in nearly every era of Star Wars history. Name it however you want - denying this outfit in this game is just bad form given its popularity.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

If You guys really want this okay, I would no more use term of "Iconic Jedi Robes" "Traditional Jedi Robes" etc. if the name really hurts Your eyes...

Also i can no mention about Star Wars movies robes (Qui Gon, Obi Wan, Mace Windu etc.) or KotOR 2 game.

Just give Us ONE robes that have:

- Hood down

- Long sleeves

- No ANY armor parts, just simple tunic under robe, with short skirt, not another pants like Kreia, Exiled Master, Insidious etc. that bug as hell when fighting/cutscenes http://imgur.com/dLHIFxn

- No any patterns http://www.starwarsmmolevelingguide.com/wp-content/gallery/jedi-consular-concept-art/jedi-consular-concept01.jpg on robes (simple brown color robe, like Exiled Master)

- Belt under robe, on tunic. Not like Relnex robes. More like Exiled Master / Valiant Jedi.

Something like this: http://imgur.com/IjwIyRG and Alec work http://imgur.com/ek3XDEc

People in SWTOR era wears this http://www.starwarsmmolevelingguide.com/wp-content/gallery/timeline/Timeline03_Jedi-Council-Debate.jpg (Middle Jedi with ponytail) Collector's Edition book

Nope in next cc market items we will get probably another weird robes with bald head, plastic robe, with metal on chest, metal boots and gloves. So practical and cool.

I start thinking these accounts on forum that really don't care if we get smilar robes or not, but they waste time with false-arguments, trying to burn our dream are just devs or players that were paid off by devs. You can call that obsession but that's true :rak_01:

Edited by tummiswtor

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.