The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is Treek Japanese?!

Chylla

So... Am I the only one who thinks that Treek might be speaking a bastardization of Japanese? I swear she's saying 私を旅に場 (Watashi wo tabi ni jou = Place me on a journey [Rough translation from Google Translate]) when she's put on a crew mission. Her alien-speech translation in-game is "This is not a legendary battle, but it will have to do."

I may be still a novice in my Japanese, but it REALLY eerily sounds similar and I know George Lucas took inspiration from real-world languages for putting languages in the Star Wars universe for movies, etc.

Your thoughts, or am I just going crazy? :D

Edited by Chylla

She doesn't sound even close to Russian. And yes, I noticed it myself only a few weeks ago (summon her very seldom) that she does indeed pronounce some words that I could swear sounded like one of those few Japanese words I know.

So... Am I the only one who thinks that Treek might be speaking a bastardization of Japanese? I swear she's saying 私を旅に場 (Watashi wo tabi ni jou = Place me on a journey [Rough translation from Google Translate]) when she's put on a crew mission. Her alien-speech translation in-game is "This is not a legendary battle, but it will have to do."

I may be still a novice in my Japanese, but it REALLY eerily sounds similar and I know George Lucas took inspiration from real-world languages for putting languages in the Star Wars universe for movies, etc.

Well, we have an ancient monster companion that speaks Latin - so why not an ewok which speaks a Japanese dialect?

Actually is a mongolian dialect and talks absolutely rubbish compared to translation.

There was on BBC R4 Film show few weeks ago a feature about such things from films. (including the breathing mask sound, light sabers, spaceships)

Actually the whole ewoke dialogues in Return of the Jedi, are just some stories told by a half drunk old mongolian woman.

Why I said half drunk, because she asked for vodka as payment to tell them stories, had plenty of it and then they recorded her. Not even George Lucas has a clue to this day what they are talking about,but none has complain about "the language" since the 80s.

Yeah, I've noticed a Japanese-like quality too. I think the first time it struck me was listening to Jabba the Hutt. It might be because Japanese is largely made up of short sounds where consonants and vowels are paired, so maybe that element inspired the sound of some Star Wars languages (I'm sure Japanese is not the only language that sounds like that though).