The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Koozie's Pyro PT Video 3.0

Kooziejr

Hi again guys,

A few people have asked for a pyro compilation for 3.0. I have decided to deliver and hope you enjoy it:

Rahc and I together played pyro together starting yesterday for a handful of games and I have made a video with the best bits in a compilation. We didn't queue with tanks or heals - it was just 2 pyros running around burning stuff. It's well documented that automated defenses (the best pyro skill for the best pyro cooldown is currently broken - not giving proper reset on kolto) so this video was a bit painful to make at times due to squishiness but I think it turned out to be pretty cool. The spec is clearly underpowered for numerous reasons that others are welcome to discuss but overall it has some decent tools and just needs bug fixes.

Again, a big thanks to Rahc - we had a tonne of fun together making this video. Subscribe if you like my vids, I'm going to be making a lot this season.

The saddest point about everything is it takes two pyro PTs to almost have the killing power of AP.

Still more fun than four buttons, though. :rak_eek:

Played Pyro and Plama, the Pyro effects are great; pity the spec is bugged/nerfed.

Edited by Aetideus

I'll add that when I've had a good comp in yolos, I was amazed how good the pyro dps was. When you have some team support, the elemental damage absolutely cuts through everyone. The longer the fight lasts, pyro's damage numbers will skyrocket above everyone else's. It's also very situational with flamethrower, but when pyro gets fixed, I'll suspect a lot of players will be switching to pyro. Hell, even bugged as it is, I've seen how lethal it can be. If you're not focused first, and if the fight lasts more than 2 minutes, you'll be top dps if not second for the match...guaranteed.

I would highly recommend choosing extended HO duration with the increased speed utilities. You'll need to run and hide as soon as they start focusing you.

I'll add that when I've had a good comp in yolos, I was amazed how good the pyro dps was. When you have some team support, the elemental damage absolutely cuts through everyone. The longer the fight lasts, pyro's damage numbers will skyrocket above everyone else's. It's also very situational with flamethrower, but when pyro gets fixed, I'll suspect a lot of players will be switching to pyro. Hell, even bugged as it is, I've seen how lethal it can be. If you're not focused first, and if the fight lasts more than 2 minutes, you'll be top dps if not second for the match...guaranteed.

I would highly recommend choosing extended HO duration with the increased speed utilities. You'll need to run and hide as soon as they start focusing you.

The thing that separates the good Powertechs from the greats, it's not all about dmg, winning is key and helping the group. I'm not saying don't put out all u can dps wise, just sayin that's not all that matters.

The thing that separates the good Powertechs from the greats, it's not all about dmg, winning is key and helping the group. I'm not saying don't put out all u can dps wise, just sayin that's not all that matters.

lol, yes there is also protection from taunts, and the ability to focus the right targets, I assumed most players on these pt forums accepted that as rule by now.

There are burst specs that have their specialities, pyro is not one of them. My point is that pyro's applications are unique and can only be appreciated in longer fights. It's a pressure spec in the sence that it can put a lot of overall strain on the opposition's healer, while you assist your team's burst swap them down for the kill.

lol, yes there is also protection from taunts, and the ability to focus the right targets, I assumed most players on these pt forums accepted that as rule by now.

There are burst specs that have their specialities, pyro is not one of them. My point is that pyro's applications are unique and can only be appreciated in longer fights. It's a pressure spec in the sence that it can put a lot of overall strain on the opposition's healer, while you assist your team's burst swap them down for the kill.

That is what I do with ST in dps gear. Pyro needs + 25% per cannon stack and bug fixes. ST is already for pressure.

Edited by Aetideus

That is what I do with ST in dps gear. Pyro needs + 25% per cannon stack and bug fixes. ST is already for pressure.

Totally going to make a ST video with DPS gear. haha...What are your thoughts on using unload when RP, RS, Firestorm, Heat Blast are on cooldown? It has high single target dmg more so than flame sweep and flame burst by a significant amount...also, do you agree that you are better off using flame sweep over flame burst on most targets (non AoE reduct) when you take the 25% flame sweep increase dmg because it more or less = flame burst dmg with 10% crit chance attached.....would like to know what others think.

Edited by Kooziejr

Totally going to make a ST video with DPS gear. haha...What are your thoughts on using unload when RP, RS, Firestorm, Heat Blast are on cooldown? It has high single target dmg more so than flame sweep and flame burst by a significant amount...also, do you agree that you are better off using flame sweep over flame burst on most targets (non AoE reduct) when you take the 25% flame sweep increase dmg because it more or less = flame burst dmg with 10% crit chance attached.....would like to know what others think.

Heh, firestorm when procced, will get the three ticks in faster, and also hits just as hard as rank 3 pyro flamethrower. (In dps gear).

You would absolutely want to snag the 25% increase with the snare as well.

I use unload when rooted and don't have HO after throwing my dart on someone, or when a sin uses shroud as it bypasses it. It's some nice fluff for sure. I've had a lot of cases of people shouting at me in /say in disbelief that they died to unload from a PT. Great fun. Rapid shots is funnier to kill people with, though.

I use unload when rooted and don't have HO after throwing my dart on someone, or when a sin uses shroud as it bypasses it. It's some nice fluff for sure. I've had a lot of cases of people shouting at me in /say in disbelief that they died to unload from a PT. Great fun. Rapid shots is funnier to kill people with, though.

IMO unload should be used for single target dmg when playing Shield Tank over Flame Burst and Flame sweep, and explosive dart and DFA (when they are already snared and debuffed) - feels clunky as hell but with that accuracy tanks get its totally worth.... But obviously behind firestorm, heat blast, rocket punch, and railshot. It actually does a lot of dmg and is immune to pushback.

Edited by Kooziejr

Heh, firestorm when procced, will get the three ticks in faster, and also hits just as hard as rank 3 pyro flamethrower. (In dps gear).

You would absolutely want to snag the 25% increase with the snare as well.

I'm talking about unload. We all know to use firestorm and snare and debuff with flamesweep...

Unload also procs our Ion cell which applies a snare and allows railshot as well. I get a lot of flak for using it but it's foolish not to in those previously mentioned scenarios. But this is getting off topic as we've now dived into Shieldtech and not the broken but awesome spec that is Pyro. Edited by AxeDragoneth

I'm talking about unload. We all know to use firestorm and snare and debuff with flamesweep...

Haha don't get mad kid. Unload or no unload, sheildtech in dps gear would be good for trolling regs, that's about it. For ranked, you'll either get chewed up in team ranked or wait around for yolos to pop because you're " a tank ".

The damage from firestorm currently matches what pyro flamethrower can do, but thats about it. In no way at all can shieldtech(dps gear) apply the same amount of pressure that pyro can. Like.. not even close. It's fun to play however.

Haha don't get mad kid. Unload or no unload, sheildtech in dps gear would be good for trolling regs, that's about it. For ranked, you'll either get chewed up in team ranked or wait around for yolos to pop because you're " a tank ".

The damage from firestorm currently matches what pyro flamethrower can do, but thats about it. In no way at all can shieldtech(dps gear) apply the same amount of pressure that pyro can. Like.. not even close. It's fun to play however.

Actually, I ran it yesterday in group ranked for about 10 games in a row against 2 - 3 different teams on bastion and we won every round every game even when they tried to tank tunnel me and managed to do 1100-1600dps almost every round......not sure why you make these things up?

That being said, it is no substitute for a DPS spec but as a tank, with the new explosive fuel cooldown added to the other decent cooldowns it has, you have reasonably survivability. All in all however, 2 very good hatred sins tunneling you would not be pleasant but against 95% of the players going around running full dps gear as tank in 4s allows us to dominate the arena.

Edited by Kooziejr

Actually, I ran it yesterday in group ranked for about 10 games in a row against 2 - 3 different teams on bastion and we won every round every game even when they tried to tank tunnel me and managed to do 1100-1600dps almost every round......not sure why you make these things up?

That being said, it is no substitute for a DPS spec but as a tank, with the new explosive fuel cooldown added to the other decent cooldowns it has, you have reasonably survivability. All in all however, 2 very good hatred sins tunneling you would not be pleasant but against 95% of the players going around running full dps gear as tank in 4s allows us to dominate the arena.

haha, I didn't say someone can never win with dps gear spec'ed as shieldtech, The fact that you do have more survivability than pyro does say a lot. But, does the damage/survivability ratio balance itself out?

Hmm.

On that note, I'm sure you filmed those ten games and will post them so we can see the quality of the teams you faced, and also allow us to see the talent that your healer has.

Using Flame sweep over Flame burst defo. +10% crit, +25% dmg from utils, 2 free from Jet charge, (+ trauma, speed debuff). Most of the time I guard so Unload is used sparsely. Got up to 1500-1600 dps. Only vulnerability is against experienced teams in solo but can be overcome with a good healer.

Edited by Aetideus