Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Is SoR a joke?

Jandi

Lol Wow is better you say :) Here is 'one' of the daily quitting posts due to NOTHING to do at level 100. Don't believe me, Eu wow and Na wow general and pvp forums are pretty much identical, angry and very bored.

First off, I'm a much maligned casual player. I haven't had a lot of time to play this expansion especially recently, but I finally had a few days to myself to really sit down and sink my teeth into some end game content after just messing around in my garrison for the last month or two. What I found was just frustration: a grindy daily quest for shards, massive pvp queues, LFRs where I need toothpicks to keep my eyes open, and heroics where as a healer I'm penalized because the majority of DPS are mouth breathers who don't do mechanics.

After about an hour yesterday I turned off the game in disgust and cancelled my sub. For the first time, I really don't think I'm coming back. I feel a little sad, since I've played the game since Vanilla, but overall I feel relieved. I'm finally free from this time sink and I owe it all to the current blizzard staff.

THANK YOU BLIZZARD FOR DOING WHAT I DIDN'T THINK WAS POSSIBLE, MAKING AN EXPANSION MORE MIND NUMBING THAN MOP!

I think you're in the wrong thread.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No clue if we are even talking about same game. I didn't play SoR when it came out. Was busy with DA:I, but I have gotten three of my characters to 60 in past two weeks. Main sawbones I didn't hit 60 until last fight on Yarin. Sage Seer and Gunslinger hit 60 in final battle of rishi. Sawbones did the intro old flashpoints, slinger and sage did not. No XP boast beyond guild boast. Didn't go out of way killing mobs, but didn't avoid them either. Only thing I went out of my way to kill was champions. I can't pass one without trying to kill it. I didn't do dailies, except the ones I could pick up while leveling. So really no clue how someone could only get to 58, unless they were going out of their way not to play the game.

Were you at 58 9/10? Because I really can't see how you couldn't be at 59 at least. I mean how is that even possible.

No, it's you who don't understand the point of contention at all.

Selling an expansion and then telling you to do already existing content or repeat new one simply to level is the problem.

If you're fine with that, good for you. I'm not, and I'm voicing my disdain for this practise. I could start to rant about everything else that is wrong with SoR but to be honest, I can't be bothered because BW could release nothing but CM stuff for 6 years and people would be happy with that.

So you've never done a daily? Ever?

Anyway, the new content's XP appears to have been tuned to take the GLUT of post-50 XP available in the game into account. End of original content on Corellia, then Section X, Ilum, Makeb, CZ-198, Oricon, Forge Alliances solo mode, etc, there's a TON of XP available for any character that wasn't already maxed at 55 when 3.0 hit.

You'd have to deliberately try to not be past 55 before doing SoR on any newer characters, and hitting 60 well before the end of Yavin 4, if not before even landing there, will be the norm for anyone not deliberately avoiding XP.

Would you suggest that Rishi and Yavin 4 should have been set up to cater only to those characters that were already level 55 and were played by people determined to burn through both worlds in a single day (or 1 day each) without repeating a single daily mission along the way?

If it's bad to have "too little" XP in an expansion, is it also bad to have "too much" XP?

Is your issue actually with the amount of XP in the expansion, or rather with the amount of content?

Would you have been OK with the amount of content if there had been no new levels added?

And why would you need to pay for an XP boost, anyway? First of all, a bunch are given out for free during the leveling process. In fact, I had a couple in my cargo hold, saved for just such an occasion. Second of all, they're available on the GTN for the game's monopoly money.

Same here -- my BH had I think 4 minor and 3 major XP boosts if the bound-to-character sort that I didn't realize way back when I started that I should have been using along the way. Oops. I used most of them up during FA solo, Rishi, and Yavin 4, and got to 60 about halfway through.

Same here -- my BH had I think 4 minor and 3 major XP boosts if the bound-to-character sort that I didn't realize way back when I started that I should have been using along the way.

Yeah. I'm a bit of a packrat that way. Can't seem to get rid of things "just in case"

I still have some never-tuned-in Columi tokens in my cargo hold somewhere. :o

Edited by Khevar

Same here -- my BH had I think 4 minor and 3 major XP boosts if the bound-to-character sort that I didn't realize way back when I started that I should have been using along the way. Oops. I used most of them up during FA solo, Rishi, and Yavin 4, and got to 60 about halfway through.

Lol first thing I thought when the expansion was announced was "Oh hey I can use those bound 25% xp boosts finally!"

So you've never done a daily? Ever?

Was sitting at 1k basic comms at lvl55, as stated before, so... yes, I've done dailies, like... a metric ****ton of dailies. In fact, I've prollie spent 50mil on armor sets thus far wtihout playing the GTN, because I actually *like* doing dailies as it kills time and makes you better at the game.

That, however, has never been the point, which you so massively seem to keep missing.

Anyway, the new content's XP appears to have been tuned to take the GLUT of post-50 XP available in the game into account. End of original content on Corellia, then Section X, Ilum, Makeb, CZ-198, Oricon, Forge Alliances solo mode, etc, there's a TON of XP available for any character that wasn't already maxed at 55 when 3.0 hit.

Yeah, there is. Just doing everything prior to RotHC gets you to 54 (funnily, no one even seems to remember that there is a Belsavis daily/bonus quest series and areas besides section-X). Again, not the point.

You'd have to deliberately try to not be past 55 before doing SoR on any newer characters, and hitting 60 well before the end of Yavin 4, if not before even landing there, will be the norm for anyone not deliberately avoiding XP.

Avoiding XP is not the same as jumping into new content when an expansion is released.

Would you suggest that Rishi and Yavin 4 should have been set up to cater only to those characters that were already level 55 and were played by people determined to burn through both worlds in a single day (or 1 day each) without repeating a single daily mission along the way?

Both are so easy that it doens't matter if you're 55 or 60 when you start it, so it's irrelevant. I mean, you don't even have to fight in the final battle lol.

If it's bad to have "too little" XP in an expansion, is it also bad to have "too much" XP?

You can raech 100 in WoD without even going to the final zone without even doing dungeons. I don't have a problem with that. Just like in Vanilla TOR you were constantly overleveled if you did everything.

Is your issue actually with the amount of XP in the expansion, or rather with the amount of content?

You say this like it's a completely separate issue. It's not, there is a certain xp curve that goes with the amount of content to enforce pacing. As it is now there is too little content, therefore there is too little xp. If they buffed the XP amount you could do the story content and jump into what you enjoy doing, be it PvP, FPs, dailies or OPS. Right now you don't have a choice in the matter if you want to be 60.

Would you have been OK with the amount of content if there had been no new levels added?

For 17€? No. Of course, there's thousands of people blowing 100€ a month on clothing so BW hardly cares. They release content when CM sales start to drop, that's their only motivation.

Let's pretend that the xp gains were increased across the boards, so that you, who had done FA prior to 3.0, would hit 60 doing only the minimal Rishi / Yavin quests and nothing else.

ANYONE ELSE that did FA would end up being overleveled. They'd have no choice.

And why would you need to pay for an XP boost, anyway? First of all, a bunch are given out for free during the leveling process. In fact, I had a couple in my cargo hold, saved for just such an occasion. Second of all, they're available on the GTN for the game's monopoly money.

I'd rather be insane than be stupid and selfish. :cool:

You know, if you were asking for more content, that would be reasonable. But the crux of your rant seems to be on this odd philosophical point of "I didn't reach 60".

It's weird.

Tell me, when did missions start handing out xp boosts?

Now tell me when was it possble to be lvl50.

Now think for a moment. Some of us have played the game before it became a lobby to compare clothing.

Now think for a moment. Some of us have played the game before it became a lobby to compare clothing.

he is referring to class quest chains handing out 1 hour 5 packs. after every arc end. however since xpboosts are all of 9k running without one would be self limiting.

And many of us that have played the game before it became a lobby to compare clothing also learned how to make credits, and buy things they wanted on the GTN. Such as xp boosts.

It's a shame you missed that lesson. I'd be happy to give you some tips.

And many of us that have played the game before it became a lobby to compare clothing also learned how to make credits, and buy things they wanted on the GTN. Such as xp boosts.

It's a shame you missed that lesson. I'd be happy to give you some tips.

And tell me, how does that help *after* I've finished Yavin? Was there a warning that said "buy xp boosts or you're ****ed" somewhere that I missed? I thought xp boosts were invented so f2p scrubs didn't need to grind mobs but I guess that is too much to expect.

And tell me, how does that help *after* I've finished Yavin? Was there a warning that said "buy xp boosts or you're ****ed" somewhere that I missed? I thought xp boosts were invented so f2p scrubs didn't need to grind mobs but I guess that is too much to expect.

You want so very much to be angry about this. Have fun, I guess.

I still think it's a weird, purely philosophical argument.

Personally, I'd rather there be twice as much quests that give half as much xp, and that the 5-minute class quests you get mid Rishii were a multi-stage quest chain that had some meat to it.

Were you talking about this sort of thing, you'd probably get some agreement.

/shrug

Have fun storming the castle.

Edited by Khevar

It doesn't. None of the suggestions we're offering help you after the fact - but we're all trying to suggest ways that may make toon #2 easier on you.

I happen to believe that there is ample XP to reach 60, even if you've done the FA FPs by playing smart...like we had to at launch. I went out of my way originally to kill mobs for XP and I never left anything red standing. By playing like I did, I had no issue hitting 60 prior to the final boss on Yavin.

If your biggest complaint is the lack of content in SoR, I'm with ya. But to suggest you can't hit 60 before finishing Yavin is silly. I've done it multiple times by playing like I normally would.

I honestly don't get this. I'm on my second toon through SoR, he's only halfway through Rishi, and is level 58. I don't use any buffs or anything aside from Rest XP. I do complete his WZ daily, but that's only one match, maybe two, depending on the day.

Why the disparity in XP gains compared to what some peeps get? I just don't get it.

did you do forged alliances pre 3.0 or after? that's an enormous chunk of xp a lot of people don't get.

Only if you think a subscriver to a F2P game needs to buy XP boosts to reach max level.

Or run more flashpoints. Or run PvP. Or run dailies. Or do GSF. Or fight world bosses. Or ... or ... or ...

In other words, all the things you'd be doing if you weren't leveling on SoR. :eek:

That is insane and, quite frankly, shows that you'll eat plates of **** and ask for seconds.

So much for your philosophy of "if you're okay with that than good for you"

You === Funny cat

Edited by Khevar

Or run more flashpoints. Or run PvP. Or run dailies. Or do GSF. Or fight world bosses. Or ... or ... or ...

In other words, all the things you'd be doing if you weren't leveling on SoR. :eek:

So much for your philosophy of "if you're okay with that than good for you"

You === Funny cat

How so? If you enjoy eating plates of ****, not my business.

You got to 55 without using XP boosts? How unusual.

I've taken 12 toons from 55 to 60 now, and I use 25% XP boost (a pair of 3-hour ones is easily enough), 10% guild XP boost, 30% Legacy class mission XP boost*, 30% Legacy FP XP boost, and 30% Legacy Exploration XP boost. Plus I run with my wife (2-man group seems optimal for XP/sec) and do all the bonus quests. At worst, I had to run a few Oricon dailies (a 15 minute faceroll for a L59 toon in 180/168 gear) to get the final XP I needed.

So, it's working as intended, IMHO. If you didn't buy all the XP boosts, do all the bonus quests, and so on, that was your choice.

*edit: yes, the Rishi and Yavin storyline missions count as class missions.

Edited by BuriDogshin

You got to 55 without using XP boosts? How unusual.

I've taken 12 toons from 55 to 60 now, and I use 25% XP boost (a pair of 3-hour ones is easily enough), 10% guild XP boost, 30% Legacy class mission XP boost*, 30% Legacy FP XP boost, and 30% Legacy Exploration XP boost. Plus I run with my wife (2-man group seems optimal for XP/sec) and do all the bonus quests. At worst, I had to run a few Oricon dailies (a 15 minute faceroll for a L59 toon in 180/168 gear) to get the final XP I needed.

So, it's working as intended, IMHO. If you didn't buy all the XP boosts, do all the bonus quests, and so on, that was your choice.

*edit: yes, the Rishi and Yavin storyline missions count as class missions.

11 times without xp boosts.

How hilarious that even after all that, you needed to do Oricon, completely validating my actual POINT.

Edited by Jandi

Meh....I solo primarily, even with my characters that are in a guild. (heck, I did my FIRST FP this weekend on one alt). I've leveled three alts to 60 before hitting Yavin 4, only one of them was a little lax on XP and needed to do a few dailies to make it.

I don't know why the OP fell short, but there is enough content to make it to 60 from my experiences. Could there be more in SoR? Of course. More content would always be welcome. My biggest peeve with it is the lack of companion input during cutscenes. None of them have any lines and it feels like something is missing. They don't even adjust their affection for you by dialogue choices, at least from what I have seen.

All of the characters that I've gotten to 60 were 55 when I started forged alliances, so I'll see what happens when my next toon gets past Corellia. But I think the leveling process is different for different players and alts somewhat.

Was sitting at 1k basic comms at lvl55, as stated before, so... yes, I've done dailies, like... a metric ****ton of dailies. In fact, I've prollie spent 50mil on armor sets thus far wtihout playing the GTN, because I actually *like* doing dailies as it kills time and makes you better at the game.

That, however, has never been the point, which you so massively seem to keep missing.

Yeah, what I'm missing is why you're so cheesed about doing a few more of them...

If your biggest complaint is the lack of content in SoR, I'm with ya. But to suggest you can't hit 60 before finishing Yavin is silly. I've done it multiple times by playing like I normally would.

What's making this so nuts is that he can't separate the lack of content from the amount of XP.

XP awarded is arbitrary, the new missions and mobs could have given more or less XP.

An expansion that had more content could have been set up to give exactly the amount of XP we got from the actual SoR, and he'd be in the same pickle as now, but without the issue of "not enough content" to conflate with his contention regarding XP and leveling.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.