The hate towards the game... Why?

DovahkiinTOR

This game has gotten way too much hate since it first was released.
Oh come on...tell the whole story if you're going to pretend this game has gotten too much hate.

They flat out lied during development. Not only did they lie about things that would be included, they were condescending and rude. They mocked players desire for "down time" things. They ignored feedback from beta testers on PvE space...then the doubled down on it in an attempt to make us like it. They said having 16 players beating up on a boss wasn't very "heroic", yet that's exactly what Ops are. They pretended not to know how fast players would level, yet even in beta, players were hitting 50 in a week. They bragged about how amazing Ilum was going to be when players reached 50 and could experience the full PvP world they had created...I could go on but you get the picture.

The game has certainly gotten a lot of unfair criticism because it didn't meet players expectations (which are impossible to meet), but much of the hate was do to the over hype from the original crew and the attitude they brought.

These days, they've done a great job of turning the game into what it should have been and I think they're on the right track...just a very VERY slow track...too slow atm.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while i would have preferred something in the neighborhood of SWG2, i do like my game experience so far as i keep coming back.

i am, though, disappointed in their version of space combat being limited to JUST PvP. I also enjoyed the ship missions from launch, but was crushed with the lvl50 missions requiring cartel market items or months of gameplay at out-leveled two or three missions to inch closer to getting one piece. (edit: and why cant I unlock those pieces in my collections for all my characters....i cannot buy them all my toons)

cartel market has always had a hate/love relationship with me. I like that it introducing new armor sets (though too many are recolors or the more interesting pieces tend to be gated behind high RNG odds. exactly how many cybernetic pieces does one person need to own...(and why cant cyborg species choose some basic cyber pieces to wear at creation?) i would also like to see social item vendors updated with items, special vendors updated with items, and more ways to acquire some of the new bells in whistles in game rather gated through gamble packs (see, thats the love hate thing...i simply love some of the additions, but i have resolved to not caring about the CM anymore.)

crafting. i was a crafter in SWG. i really enjoy doing that in a game...im the uncle owen type. however, crafting is on a nose dive to uselessness.

item itemization could also use a little work.

i guess my point in the ramblings is that while i think the game can improve on some aspects i dont expect it to cater to my every whim or fall into line of what i particularly want to it to be like. there are too many tastes involved, but i also dont see why some of the major items cannot be worked on with improvements done on a monthly basis (minor).

why folks consistently criticize without entertaining the notion that things take time and what they think is simple to implement might actually take months of recoding to accomplish always seems to baffle me.

edit text:

in regards to gentleman above me...yes, i can agree to the bait and switch, but also accept the fact that business' do this every day. they paint in vibrant colors; we fall in love with those vibrant colors; and the colors we get are just mix match of vibrant and dull. honest has no place in a business any longer...if it was ever there to begin with.

edit text 2:

also, you could apply the text in your signature to business relations as well.

"All business is based on deception • If your customers are united, separate them • If find your product out of place with the customer, make a small change make them believe you are near " its common practice for many small business to emulate the practices of larger successful business in applying the above.

edit text 3:

TL;DR a pallet is a calm and elusive species, but alerted quickly by an unfocused pallet jack.

Edited by Qouivandes

No, probably not. If you could have made the same points without using that worn-out buzzword, you should have If not, then... whatever.

Ultimately, it boils down to entitlement, as I tried to describe. There is a certain mindset within the gaming community that causes people to feel entitled that a game should cater to their particular wants and needs if they are paying for it. If it doesn't, then they take to the Internet to make sure the whole world knows of the travesty that the developers just committed. You can see that across the entire industry as a whole - not just with MMOs. SimCity's release is another classic example of the entitlement that the gaming community as a whole feels (I'm not talking about the server issues and bugs, for which criticism was justified).

Talk about irony.

Hey, when I get on a roll, man! :p

Edited by TravelersWay

PS: To guy saying people want SWG2.0. NOT TRUE. There is a very vocal MINORITY that spams forums for SWG 2.0 but make no mistake they are a very very very small minority. Sandbox games simply have not worked in North America specifically but really you could say world wide honestly. SWG was very much a sandbox game. There is a new Sandbox game ArchAge out but like SWG its developed a small following at best here in North America.

Only a very very very small minority of players want SWG 2.0

I think what makes most upset is they really did want KotOR 3-12 as promised and this game comes up far short in that regard missing the mark on many of the key elements that made KotOR 1 and 2 such a fan favorite and beloved by so many.

It wasn't a small vocal minority at all. When these forums first opened, the entire community was divided into two camps between those who want a SWG2 and those who wanted a Star Wars WOW. The demand was so great that Repopulation is advertised as a game veterans of SWG would love. Even SONY about a year ago said they are making something that will appeal to SWG fans. These are competitors to EA/Bioware and even they heard the cry.

Do you have any idea how many SWG vets are playing this game? Every single SWG fanatic is here, with guilds named after their favorite SWG servers. If it wasn't for the SWG fans, we would have never had Galactic Starfighter or Strongholds, which was BIoware's response to what SONY and Repopulation were threatening to do when they reached out to the SWG vets with in the SWTOR community, claiming they were building a home for us, where our expectations and dreams are being acknowledged.

Edited by HiddenPalm

It wasn't a small vocal minority at all. When these forums first opened, the entire community was divided into two camps between those who want a SWG2 and those who wanted a Star Wars WOW. The demand was so great that Repopulation is advertised as a game veterans of SWG would love. Even SONY about a year ago said they are making something that will appeal to SWG fans. These are competitors to EA/Bioware and even they heard the cry.

Do you have any idea how many SWG vets are playing this game? Every single SWG fanatic is here, with guilds named after their favorite SWG servers. If it wasn't for the SWG fans, we would have never had Galactic Starfighter or Strongholds, which was BIoware's response to what SONY and Repopulation were threatening to do when they reached out to the SWG vets with in the SWTOR community, claiming they were building a home for us, where our expectations and dreams are being acknowledged.

umm NO!!!

first of all stronghold was because of Wildstar if anything.. the whole Sony thing was because the guy making this new game for them was one of the main reasons the NGE hit and he is trying to make up for that. GSF was because people complained about the crappy space we had in game that was just a joke. by the way GSF was just a crude copy of another free to play MMO called Star Conflict that had been out a year before GSF.

second of all no not all the SWG fans are playing this game. i am the only one from my old guild and city that play this game everyone else either tried it and quit long ago or never even gave it a try. it really is a small minority here in game. like i said before most of the people you see bring up SWG are the biodrones, the bioware fanatics that think bioware and EA cant do no wrong! it is their go to name for anyone that speaks negatively of their perfect game!!

Varied reasons really.

A lot are mad it isn't SWG 2.0.

Others are mad it doesn't specifically cater to their preferred playstyle. IE:

"Oh my god, why aren't there more raids, I hate everything but but raids, how dare you work on anything but raids!"

"Oh my god, why aren't there more pvp maps, I hate everything but but PvP, how dare you work on anything but PvP!"

The list can go on but I'm sure you get the idea.

ya, those are usually the reasons. and I will add a bit of my opinion onto those.

not swg2.0....never was. never will be. time to move on people. If swg is your love, go find the emu.

and as for ops vs wzs? I love ops and flashpoints. and 2 new ops, 2 new tacticals, and some lvl 60 HMs of old 55 tacticals were just fine for my play style. But even though I only do weekly pvp matches, I do feel with all the pve content in this expansion, an equal amount of pvp content/maps/game play should of been added. I feel an expansion should evenly expand the game.. levels, planets, gear, pvp, pve, story (either class or general story)etc. And as great as this expansion was, I feel some stuff was left out..

umm NO!!!

first of all stronghold was because of Wildstar if anything.. the whole Sony thing was because the guy making this new game for them was one of the main reasons the NGE hit and he is trying to make up for that. GSF was because people complained about the crappy space we had in game that was just a joke. by the way GSF was just a crude copy of another free to play MMO called Star Conflict that had been out a year before GSF.

second of all no not all the SWG fans are playing this game. i am the only one from my old guild and city that play this game everyone else either tried it and quit long ago or never even gave it a try. it really is a small minority here in game. like i said before most of the people you see bring up SWG are the biodrones, the bioware fanatics that think bioware and EA cant do no wrong! it is their go to name for anyone that speaks negatively of their perfect game!!

Weren't you leaving?

Why are you still here?

I always looked at it as people wanting two kinds of games, a MMO, with all the features like tons of instance content and what have you, and people that wanted a sequel to KOTOR, with tons of story. It kind of blends the two make both kinda watered down. I love it :D

SWTOR is a great game at its core. 8 different stories, many different planets, fully voiced and all backed by a strong IP. They have invested a lot of money in this game and now they are milking out and that imo caused some of the "hate" towards this game:

First of all there is a cash shop which consists mostly of stuff that was already ingame and gambling packs.

They only sparsely introduced new content (HK, GSF, Makeb, SOR) and that content was not up to the standards of the vanilla game. Other stuff was implemented to, again, re-use existing content like achievements, reputation grinds, housing and conquest.

Most important of all: there is a severe lack of communication between BW and their customer base, and BW has this 9-5 mentality, focussed at their American players. Yeah ofcourse they are humans as well and deserve their holiday. But most people have time to play their game DURING the holidays/weekends/evenings, so THAT's when you have to be there for your paying customers.

Edited by quantez

The biggest thing I hate about this expansion was the major let down for personal story. Some of us didn't care about Revan. It just felt like yet another lame Makeb storyline. I loved Rishi and loved the solo'able new flashpoint content ( Just wish you could solo them for weekly credit ). Just wish there was more of a Black Hole daily area. Makeb is horrid for dailies and this expansion feels the same way. I seriously wish there was more solo'able content to get at least elite comm's. Basic comm's can only go so far and for some of us, we cannot have successful hardmodes. I am a subscriber and always will be.

I actually really like this game. Unfortunately it took over a year to release new, real content. Yes housing was cool and fun and all but more of a distraction between doing real content. GSF was fun for a month but now no one plays it. And after more than a year since the last raids come out they finally release more content. And it is a lag infested, buggy as can be disaster for most people.... and their response was "yeah we know but we're going on vacation for three weeks. Will see if we can fix this stuff you paid for when we get back." And this is for a subscriber based game. If it was truly f2p I'd give a little lead way for them.

I would love to do the new raids on all my toons all week long if 16m worked properly and wasn't a lagfest. I'd do my dailies and level a lot of my other toons up to 60 if Rishi and Yavin weren't so frustratingly awful to play in with ability delay and lag. I want to give them my money but lately I question why I should.

I want to give them my money but lately I question why I should.

Obviously you still are (unless you just recently canceled).

I seriously wish there was more solo'able content to get at least elite comm's. Basic comm's can only go so far and for some of us, we cannot have successful hardmodes.

Why do you need Elites if all you want to do is solo? Or, if you want Elites so you can do harder group content later, just do the group content now to get the Elites.

I am a subscriber and always will be.

Then they really have no incentive to improve your gaming experience, do they?

Edited by branmakmuffin

{snip}, we cannot have successful hardmodes{Snip}

Can't is a strong word... You may not want to do the content available to earn Elite/Ultimate comms, but you certainly have the option, you just choose not to take it.

I'm not going to argue the merits of team play v solo play... people have strong opinions either way. But this portion of your comment is just outright incorrect.

If you are on JC, look me up.. I'll go with you through the HM.

Haven't had not one single successful hardmode ever since Makeb. I have two toons in 186 rated gear, and I do mean everything is 186. So the only thing left is hardmodes and elite comm's. but if the groups aren't successful, then why waste the time? That's why I ask for more solo content with elite comm's as a reward.

Varied reasons really.

A lot are mad it isn't SWG 2.0.

Others are mad it doesn't specifically cater to their preferred playstyle. IE:

"Oh my god, why aren't there more raids, I hate everything but but raids, how dare you work on anything but raids!"

"Oh my god, why aren't there more pvp maps, I hate everything but but PvP, how dare you work on anything but PvP!"

The list can go on but I'm sure you get the idea.

Don't forget the people who want it to be more like Wow - or think that it is a rip-off of WoW. :rolleyes: