Rank the class stories (no spoilers please)

DarthGrimmlokk

For me, it was:

1) Jedi Knight (Most Epic/Star Wars feeling story arc)

2) Sith Inquisitor (Best "fighting your way to the top" type story. )

3) Imperial Agent (Most interesting/varied story of the batch, especially once chapter 2 starts.)

4) Sith Warrior (A bit predictable, but still fun and epic)

5) Trooper (Very typical soldier type story, but it was fun nonetheless.)

6) Bounty Hunter (Good companions, but the main story was kind of flat to me.)

7) Smuggler (Didn't feel like there was enough at stake to draw me into the story.)

8) Jedi Consular (You want to call me by what title? Sorry, but the story just didn't work for me.)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warrior - 11/10 because 11 is one louder.

Agent - 9/10

Trooper - 7/10

Knight - 7/10

Inquisitor - 7/10

Smuggler - 7/10

Bounty Hunter - 6/10

Councilor - 5/10

Warrior is the only class story I'm still not burnt out on. Saw it 6 times already and can still roll another one and thoroughly enjoy it. Even the Agent, which I do like a lot, I'm on my 4th (first sniper) and finding I'm space baring a lot of conversations now.

Agent

Knight

Warrior

These three are by far and away the best. After these three there is a significant drop in quality to

Smuggler

Trooper

These two are still very good stories, but they are not in the same league as the first three. After these two there is another large drop in quality down to

Consular

Inquisitor.

These two I still consider "good" stories, but I do not believe they are really up to Bioware story levels. Then after these two is another big drop in quality down to the BH. The BH story is the only one I truly consider a bad story. Its awful.

I see a lot of people with Trooper at the bottom, I played Trooper twice, light side and dark side, if played light sided it's very lame story and you are basically just a grunt. If Trooper is played dark side to the fullest it's a pretty ****** story. As dark side some of the choices are hard but they are worth it.

for me:

Trooper (dark)

Warrior

Agent

first 3 are equal

Bounty Hunter

Knight

the previous 2 are equal

Inquisitor

Smuggler

Consular

and last 3 in no particular order it's very hard to put 1 before the other that's why I have them in 3 blocks.

There was no awful story they were all good, better and epic

Edited by RDX-TWO

Ain't you guys who like IA story getting tired of the "mysterious yet totally super-powerful third party that wants to pit the Republic against the Empire" subplot that BioWARE uses and reuses million times, and repeated in every expansion?

I mean, I understand people liking one story over another, but it always boggles my mind that people say it is somehow head and shoulders above others.

It has much less humor than the Smugglers'.

It starts slower than the Consular's and Act I is even less relevant to the rest of the story than the Con's.

You get the second companion later than the Consular and Qyzen wins in comparison as the one and only, and Treek is far likelier to make its appearance.

The plot is more contrived than any other one, and overloaded by unnecessary side-escapades, and is less cohesive than the BH story.

The antagonists are not as compelling as in the Warrior's one, keep switching all the time and being dropped just as they can get interesting.

The companions are awful, and basically every other class has a better team.

The story flow is continuously interrupted by boring side-trips (not to mention Kalyio's slime trail through the planets) and even Trooper with the frequent trips to see Garza does better.

The biggest IA choice in Chapter 2 is given less consideration than the inquisitor's cult or Fleet and is basically dismissed (I mean, the Exile agonizes over similar choice through the whole KOTOR2!).

They even forget that the IA is already married in the proposal dialogue from a companion

Finally, in the end of the story, rank-wise, the IA is still a Lieutenant and will be outranked by every other class (save for maybe a BH).

Even the voice-overs are really bad, though female Inquisitor and Male Consular might be slightly worse. Not sure about F!Inq, she might manage a bit more sincerity than the agent's actress, but her gum chewing sound... eww.

It's small potatoes, but there is one compelling Love Interest, and the writer by no reason whatsoever decide to frack that up and cheat the player.

All and all, the whole story sometimes feels like the writer has some sort of a need to trick the player and devalue and berate the choices she made not only in the IA story but in the other class stories!

So, all this hype is over 3 endings via 2 endings the other stories get? I just don't get it.

Edited by DomiSotto

Ive only gotten five done fully so far

Knight

Agent

Bounty Hunter

Inquisitor

Warrior

It was hard to decide between putting BH and Inquisitor but the Hunter storyline starts off really strong whereas Inquisitor takes until the end of chapter 1 to really get going :p

My order of preference would be:

Sith warrior

Imperial agent

Jedi knight.

The Sith warrior was definitely my favorite (I did it twice). Trying to avoid spoiling I would say it's because you pretty much a galactic ******. The Imperail agent was also a cool story with the kind of plot you'd expect in a spy story. As mentioned by another poster the Jedi knight story is pretty epic too though I generally found the Jedi stories to not be my flavour, sort of bland imo.

I hear the female smuggler is fun as the voice actress delivers her lines very well. Perhaps voice acting is something else to consider when choosing a class if storyline is a big factor.

Edited by Giggiddy

I'd agree with the post above on "story burn out". I could do the warrior story again. A big part of what made it intriguing, for me at least, was the main antagonist. The sith warrior story had me immersed. I also feel the companions add to the story and most are good, well developed characters imo.

Part of the IA storyline's awesomeness was the agent himself. Hands down the best VA in the game. But as well, I liked the storyline, not because of the plot twists, but because I actually felt like an agent. When I played the smuggler class, I didn't really smuggle much. As a consular, you start off on a rescue mission and research. As a trooper, you're betrayed. But as an agent, you start out on missions from Imperial Command. I just thought that the story made it easiest to pretend I was really there.

you guys who like IA story.... I just don't get it.

I appreciate your post and your well thought out responses I cut for length, but... I disagree with almost everything you said. lol. I'll try and be brief.

So first as for the third party pitting pubs against imps: No, not sick of this trope. There will always be a third party because things aren't always light or dark like the absolutism of the Jedi and the Sith. It's more of a murky grey like in the AI story.

It is a spy story. Not meant to be overly humorous, because it is serious business. And yet, AI's first companion is priceless when it comes to humor. Kaliyo is hilarious. Much better then Qyzen by far. Don't think so? Check out the beginning of this clip.

Not sure about contrived. It has more twists and turns then any other story and ultimately you really have no idea where things are going. Which, by definition isn't contrived.

The antagonists fit the story. Not the traditional big bad guys, but far more interesting. In the end you find that the real antagonist are not who'm or what they seem. I particularly enjoyed the fact that the Agents biggest foes and maybe the Imperials as well are the Sith themselves. Very well written IMO.

I thought the voice acting was superb. The female AI and male AI were very well done. Not to mention Kaliyo, and Scorpio who btw I found to be the most interesting of the companions.

As for romance and the marriage. It is all secondary. Lets not forget that what happened on Voss wasn't real. It was a means to an end. And for me, at least the way I played it, romantic entanglements were not a viable option given everything that was going on. This is not a love story.

In the end, I think you felt devalued because the AI was devalued in the story by the Sith. That is exactly the point. One of the strongest tools the Empire has against the Republic is sabatoged by the arrogance and stupidity of the Sith. Again, the juxtapostion is excellent. Inseucurity cost them security. Lol. I was shaking my head during chapter 3 but in a good way.

And I'm just scratching the surface here. A lot could be said about the AI story analytically. But I will leave it at this, it is the only story that requires multiple play throughs to catch all of the intracies of what is really going on.

Edited by Rafaman

I appreciate your post and your well thought out responses I cut for length, but... I disagree with almost everything you said. lol. I'll try and be brief.

And I have to disagree with pretty much everything you've said.... Sorry, I still don't understand how IA's story is objectively better than the other ones. I feel it is just like the other ones (good/interesting/fun quests mixed with bad/boring/stupid quests), only with a large portion of trying to override/change/re-do what player did and felt in other stories (which is a bad thing in my books) and an inferior companion cast with a poor designer decision of delaying the second companion acquisition till the end of Alderaan.

I also find that the dialogue on the part of the protagonist is far flatter than in the other stories, where the protagonist actually comes across as having a personality. Agent rarely gets memorable lines if any. Other characters sometimes do, but not the protagonist.

And the voicing, I have to strongly disagree. Male voice is toneless, and the female one sounds like she is trying to get through the lines and barely understands what she is reading. Compared to the emotional range of the Female Smuggler, who is enjoying every line of it, and even to the dodged determination of the M!Inqusitor who is sticking to being harsh no matter what he's saying, IA is downright low quality.

Playing it more than once would be a cruel and unusual punishment in my books, because now I know where all the 'surprises' are and seeing Kaliyo one more time will be a 1,000,000 times too many.

Edited by DomiSotto

I'd agree with the post above on "story burn out". I could do the warrior story again. A big part of what made it intriguing, for me at least, was the main antagonist. The sith warrior story had me immersed. I also feel the companions add to the story and most are good, well developed characters imo.

The story has a long time to build up the antagonist and give him personality, which clearly shows. That, I think, is the problem with some of the other stories. A well developed antagonist can drive a story and provoke emotions, this is the case with the warrior's story.

The companions and how some of them are tied into the story helps as well.

My top 3:

1. Agent (just a great overall story didnt really care for most of the companions though)

2. Jedi knight (although u can see the story a mile away i still enjoyed it)

3. Sith warrior (can also see the story ending a mile away, but i really enjoyed the end of chapter 1.)

then comes all the rest of them which i just thought were ok but nothing special.

Top Tier:

• Sith Warrior - It pretty much embodies the Sith archetype and reveals a lot of the inner workings of the Sith. On top of that, the difference between Light and Dark side playthroughs are amazingly well done (brings it from Good story to Top story imho).
  • Imperial Agent - Because this was the only class with virtually no existing lore, the writer's were able to go crazy with their imagination. Resulting in a very, very good story.

Good Tier:

• Jedi Knight - While it's pretty much what you'd expect the story to be beforehand, it does have that classic Star Wars feel to it that makes it good. The fact that as a Dark Side Knight, it simply isn't as plausibly written (at all) as the Sith Warrior story going light side, prevents it from being top tier.

Middel Tier:

• Inquisitor - While the story definately has some very good points, it has a very long repetative stretch that bogs it down from being in the upper tiers.
  • Consular - Many rate this as a 'bad' story. I don't. I don't think it's great, but it is a very niche story that doesn't appeal to a large crowd. On it's own, it isn't bad, but it isn't very gripping either.
  • Trooper - The same as the consular really. It appeals to a smaller part of players. It is also bogged down by certain parts of the story I won't spoil here. Not bad, but not good either.

Trash Tier:

• Bounty Hunter - The mere fact that the very prologue itself is so extremely contrived and forced upon you, kills the story before it even begins. For me at least. I had zero emotional attachment to the events that took place and lasted the entire first chapter. It does get better, but the first chapter pretty much ruined it for me.
  • Smuggler - Great characters. That's pretty much all there is to it. But since we're rating the story and not the characters; it's trash. Utter, complete trash. There's no Smuggling. Well, it starts out with implied smuggling. Instead, you're relegated to something akin to being the Republic's galactic janitor. I mean, really?

DISCLAIMER: These are my opinions. Don't go all hateful on me if I happen to disagree with you. :p

I still don't understand how IA's story is objectively better than the other ones.

I'm not sure why anyone would try to convince anyone else that a story is objectively better.

The immersion in a story and the enjoyment of it is largely subjective, which is why people can see the same movie or read the same book and disagree entirely about the level of enjoyment of the story itself, often citing numerous examples from each of their perspectives. The same applies to games and for the exact same reasons.

People have different opinions, as this thread shows. (Not that we needed this thread to understand that, I would hope!)

No story here is objectively better than any other. It's up to each player to decide for themselves how much and to what extent they liked each story. Which also means these "rank the stories" threads, while interesting, are really not terribly useful, except to tell us what we already know: people like different things and for different reasons. The fact is: rather than worrying what others think, simply get in there and see what you think!

And I have to disagree with pretty much everything you've said.... Sorry, I still don't understand how IA's story is objectively better than the other ones. I feel it is just like the other ones (good/interesting/fun quests mixed with bad/boring/stupid quests), only with a large portion of trying to override/change/re-do what player did and felt in other stories (which is a bad thing in my books) and an inferior companion cast with a poor designer decision of delaying the second companion acquisition till the end of Alderaan.

I also find that the dialogue on the part of the protagonist is far flatter than in the other stories, where the protagonist actually comes across as having a personality. Agent rarely gets memorable lines if any. Other characters sometimes do, but not the protagonist.

And the voicing, I have to strongly disagree. Male voice is toneless, and the female one sounds like she is trying to get through the lines and barely understands what she is reading. Compared to the emotional range of the Female Smuggler, who is enjoying every line of it, and even to the dodged determination of the M!Inqusitor who is sticking to being harsh no matter what he's saying, IA is downright low quality.

Playing it more than once would be a cruel and unusual punishment in my books, because now I know where all the 'surprises' are and seeing Kaliyo one more time will be a 1,000,000 times too many.

The agent is seen as the objectively better because in comparison to other classes it is the one story where the most money went into. No matter if it`s your taste or not it can be seen pretty quickly. Fun conversations, long cutscenes, interesting conversations with companions. Companion appearing in another companion conversation (like the whole thing with Lokin) What other class has this except the Warrior once? You see things like that make the Agent the objectively the best because it can easily be seen that this class (along with the Warrior and Knight) received the most love from the devs.

I gree with 'you like what you like' and I will not argue that. If the rest of the world loves it, that's fine.

Longer does not equal better. The dialogues are weaker in the IA story. There cutscenes, but they are not memorable. The concepts are trite. I agree that the companion-companion banter is nice, but it feels more like they did not have anything for Lokin so they made connections with Vector and Kalyio.

With Vector after 20+ conversations, I still don't get why he is so stuck on his 'joining' and what's so good about it for him. I don't know why he is such a patriot. Million conversations with him, and the 'can we get you to unjoin-- NO!

I have no idea what Raina is such a patriot either and does what she does. A bad surprise for the sake of the bad surprise. Again, no PC choice in the matter at all. Hey, I am a double-agent, I can help--- NO!

Kalyio is there to do the 'gotcha' on the player the same way the story wants to do every time, stretching it out for miles on end. Basically the least pleasant companion to pander to for affection. A bullet to the head would fix this-- NO!

Lokin seems okay, but again, there is no explanation of why he is such a huge patriot all of a sudden when it comes to sparing the republic soldiers. WHY?

Why SCORPIO is added to my party is still unclear. Just another burden to a player.

The story is just about as cohesive as the joinables selection.

Jadus sponsored and nurtured the terrorists so he could disappear, re-appear, destroy half the Empire and... disappear again. WHY?

My agent's mass murders go swell with the Republic. In fact, everyone thinks I am Okay. WHY?

Then the Star Cabal. They are a secret power structure that doesn't know what they are after, but they are uber-powerful. Pfft. Dime a dozen. And we spent most of the game chasing the terrorists, and instead of working that local and interesting line, we had to switch to the Trite Big Masons #124578. WHY?

Mind control. WHY?

If anyone has an answer to why the Hunter has to turn into a female after being presented as a RI, go figure. What did we win by that??? WHY?

And it's like this all the time. Honestly, it feels like the author can't seem to form a solid plot, so he jumps from one idea to another, and drops the ball on the previous one.

Edited by DomiSotto

I haven't finished the agent's story (the only one left..and im on Corellia...so its quite close to being done)

But for all the ones I have finished...here we go!

1. Jedi Knight - Thrilling Ending

2. Smuggler - Great Twists and turns

3. Bounty Hunter - Great Hunt was a blast - As were future missions

4. Trooper - Pretty decent cast of companions make it fun to rebuild your squad

5. Sith Warrior - Excellent Light side storyline..but lacking in other areas

6. Sith Inquisitor - Chapter 1 was quite cool...but the rest is "meh" Companions are also kinda lame

7. Jedi Consular - Boooooooooooring! This one is a snooze fest through out!

The agent story would at least be my #2 or #3 (barring some stupid or out of place ending) if I had completed it...but as I said earlier I have not finished it...so this is my list as it stands!

I gree with 'you like what you like' and I will not argue that. If the rest of the world loves it, that's fine.

Longer does not equal better. The dialogues are weaker in the IA story. There cutscenes, but they are not memorable. The concepts are trite. I agree that the companion-companion banter is nice, but it feels more like they did not have anything for Lokin so they made connections with Vector and Kalyio.

With Vector after 20+ conversations, I still don't get why he is so stuck on his 'joining' and what's so good about it for him. I don't know why he is such a patriot. Million conversations with him, and the 'can we get you to unjoin-- NO!

I have no idea what Raina is such a patriot either and does what she does. A bad surprise for the sake of the bad surprise. Again, no PC choice in the matter at all. Hey, I am a double-agent, I can help--- NO!

Kalyio is there to do the 'gotcha' on the player the same way the story wants to do every time, stretching it out for miles on end. Basically the least pleasant companion to pander to for affection. A bullet to the head would fix this-- NO!

Lokin seems okay, but again, there is no explanation of why he is such a huge patriot all of a sudden when it comes to sparing the republic soldiers. WHY?

Why SCORPIO is added to my party is still unclear. Just another burden to a player.

The story is just about as cohesive as the joinables selection.

Jadus sponsored and nurtured the terrorists so he could disappear, re-appear, destroy half the Empire and... disappear again. WHY?

My agent's mass murders go swell with the Republic. In fact, everyone thinks I am Okay. WHY?

Then the Star Cabal. They are a secret power structure that doesn't know what they are after, but they are uber-powerful. Pfft. Dime a dozen. And we spent most of the game chasing the terrorists, and instead of working that local and interesting line, we had to switch to the Trite Big Masons #124578. WHY?

Mind control. WHY?

If anyone has an answer to why the Hunter has to turn into a female after being presented as a RI, go figure. What did we win by that??? WHY?

Many of yo

And it's like this all the time. Honestly, it feels like the author can't seem to form a solid plot, so he jumps from one idea to another, and drops the ball on the previous one.

Many of your complaints are personal, not objective. What do you mean with "MInd Control" Wh? It has been perfectly explained in the story that after chapter one and the AGent dealing with a Darth they wanted to secure him, prevent him from becoming a nuisance to them. What is your problem withMind Control?

Jadus did that to dissapear from the eye of the council, said it himself. As powerful as he is he can`t go against the whole council.

And duh, your question of "why is Vector like that and why is Raina like that" Because Vector is joined minds with the killiks! He is part of them, so obviously he stands up for them lol. Like do you think he can just turn of that mindset away and just decide "Wups, ok I have enough of Klliks, time to be human again" He is NOT human anymore in his mindset.

Raina is just a crazy patriot, raised like that. Again what do you mean with "why" ? She was *********** raised like that.

The cutscenes are memorable, the dialogues are not weak.

Precisely. In other words you have no choices in regards to influencing your companions, unlike the Warrior's story where you influence two, one - significantly, and the third big choice was taken away.

Same with the story flow. The choices the IA faces are no more significant than the ones other classes face. The only difference is 3 endings via 2 endings.

Precisely. In other words you have no choices in regards to influencing your companions, unlike the Warrior's story where you influence two, one - significantly, and the third big choice was taken away.

Same with the story flow. The choices the IA faces are no more significant than the ones other classes face. The only difference is 3 endings via 2 endings.

Some times, I really miss the option to kill our companions.

However, you have to take into account that many companions that join you are not some wide-eyed children, but mostly grizzled, experienced people whom life has given some tough lessons. People like these are very hard to influence into some radical change, in contrast to young untrained Padawan.

In another life, the Imperial Agent could kill Kaliyo Djannis, Raina Temple and shred to bits Scorpio; These I do know for sure.

Worth pointing out.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I have to stand to a different side then most...

1. bounty Hunter- very fun and flexible, if you want to be evil nasty killer or just honorable contractor "doing a job".

2. Imperial Agent- very cloak and dagger spy stuff, that was very 007ish

3. Inquisitor- Most interesting and Star Wars history/canon stuff where you learn a lot about both Jedi and Sith back stories more then any other class, rest just making your own story.