Does anyone else do this on GTN?

KTap

I'm sure we've all been undercut on the GTN by a measly amount of credits at some point. It happens, people want their item or items to be the cheapest.

I use the GTN a lot, and am constantly undercut, which I don't really have a problem with. It's a free market.

However, when I buy items from the GTN, I go out of my way to not reward these people.

Example: There's 11 items up for between 90-100k credits, with a 1000 credit undercut each time. I will buy the 100k one.

There are definitely times when I buy the cheaper item, but it has to be a substantial difference and not just pocket change.

Does anyone else do this, or am I crazy? :p

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are definitely times when I buy the cheaper item, but it has to be a substantial difference and not just pocket change.

I do the same thing, especially if the undercut is only by 1 credit.

Edited by HazardousMatt

I do the same thing, especially if the undercut is only by 1 credit.

Beat me to it, this is exactly what I was gonna say when I read the original post. If someone undercuts someone with a sale price of say 199,999, I'll buy the one that's 200,000. 1 cred undercuts are lame.

Beat me to it, this is exactly what I was gonna say when I read the original post. If someone undercuts someone with a sale price of say 199,999, I'll buy the one that's 200,000. 1 cred undercuts are lame.

I am the same way. You didn't drop the price enough to make it a incentive to buy your product over someone else's item.

On some items that I know sell quickly, I don't have to undercut usually. All the other people who undercut get their sales, but then my item gets bought so I guess I come out ahead.

:D

I've actually used this phenomenon to my advantage when it comes combating undercutters, but this only works if the items sell quickly, and the undercutter is way underselling the last listed price.

Example: ItemX will sell in a 24 hour period in the 200-275K range.

Current listings for when I'm ready to list itemX are: Seller A - 250K, Seller B - 245K, Seller C - 244K. Seller D - 95K

Now Seller D has obviously undercut low and is looking to sell first. If I don't care about maximum profit, or I don't wan't to waste money buying Seller D's to relist, then I would normally undercut the last high seller. In this case Seller C.

In this scenario it would be best to price my item right under the 244K seller, because his continues to trick the buyer into the items perceived high value, and it will move Seller D's listing more quickly. Now it makes mine the new current low price and I still get payment at a higher rate then Seller D did.

Also, A good seller can use a negative version of this effect to move his/her items really fast using alt's. The goal is to manipulate the buyer's emotion. You use alt's to list a bunch of post for itemX at an inflated price, then you do a drastic undercut with your final toon. Your drastic priced item will usually sell, cause the buyer thinks they lucked out on a great find and better move quickly before someone else discovers this. However, your drastic undercut is still a win, because it is higher priced than the normal market value for that item would have normally been. This works well early in the morning and late at night when other sellers listings have usually fallen off.

Edited by Holocron

1-10 credit undercutters are ignored by me. Apart from that I choose the cheapest option - except if the name of the seller is really stupid, annoying or anything which makes me not want to give him my credits. ;) If I need more than one item of a kind and there are various sellers at the same price, I buy one piece per seller.

If anything, you should ALWAYS buy the one that's 1 credit less.

At least that shows that the seller made some effort to check the market before listing the item and then pricing it accordingly and not with just some arbitrary number pulled out of their buttocks. I love checking my item that I want to sell, see it listed for 88,345, and then putting mine at 88,344.

So, somehow 1 credit less is a justifiable cause for GTN.PvP.RAGE but selling it for, let's say 85,000 out of my buttocks, would be ok? If a few buyers want to pass over 1 credit, that's ok, cuz the next person will get it anyway.

Weird.

When buying, i will always buy the cheapest.

When selling i will look what the cheapest price is of a certain item, then see how many are listed at the lowest price.

If only 10 +- are listed at the lowest price i will place my item above the lowest price.

if there are 2 pages at the lowest price, i'll place my item at the same price +-

Adaptive circuitry dropped from 41-45k to 30k a few days ago on my server, i just kept placing mine at 43k, now the price is back at 40-50k.

People shouldn't always give in to pressure of getting things sold quickly.

Statue of a slave (or smth) sells for 1mill to 1.5 mill usually, last week i had one and wanted to sell it, for some reason there were about 8 others on the GTN, people were undercutting so hard that the price dropped to 500k.

Now they are all sold, only 1 is listed anymore and the price is 1 250 000 again.

I sold mine for 1 000 000.

So , pushing price up is a good thing sometimes.

For bigger ticket items, from 2,000,000 credits - 20,000,000 credits, if they have undercut the person by 1 credit I will always buy the more expensive item.

I have even seen, quite often too, the 1 credit under cutter then have to re-list their item for substantially less because the price has dropped again from people under cutting them by a large amount or the market becomes flooded as cartel items time lock period expires.

For smaller amounts less than 1,000,000 I don't really care and will snap up whatever is cheaper.

^^

Great idea! If they're ignoring the 1-credit-less item then logic dictates they'll buy the 1-credit-more item. Brilliant!

Hehe, not if the item is, say, 2,000,000 credits and then they list for 2,000,001 credits. I like nice clean round numbers and would not buy the 1 credit dearer item. ;)

However, if you pip the 1,999,999 credit lister by 1 credit, yeah, i'll more than likely buy your new price lol. :D

^^

Great idea! If they're ignoring the 1-credit-less item then logic dictates they'll buy the 1-credit-more item. Brilliant!

I still have an upper limit on what I'm willing to sell. I don't sell grade 5 premium companion gifts for very high a price, even if the lowest being listed is over 10k.

Artifact quality items I tend to sell for as much as I think I can get away with.

i will always go for the cheaper item, even if it's 1 credit cheaper... a credit saved is a credit earned... i also try to list my items cheaper than everyone else too, because not everyone is made of credits and those people deserve a fair chance at the items up for sale as much as those that bankroll a few million a day... the real jerks are the ones that buy the items for the low price just to re-list it at 2-3x the original sold price, like saying "nope, no, poor people, none for you", that's truly jerkly... the real problem isn't under-cutters, it's price gougers... Edited by Elly_Dawn

Yeah I do the same thing. If someone undercuts by like 1k I find that rude for some reason and I will buy from the other seller instead. When I undercut to get a quicksell then I usually do it by a considerable amount like 10-20%. It's annoying when other people are as desperate to sell as you though, for example Revans mask was 7.2m on the GTN we were both undercutting each other until I finally managed to sell it for 5.4m haha.

I really don't understand all the whining about the 1-credit undercutting. It is completely understandable that anyone placing an item on the GTN wants it to sell, and a sureshot method for it to sell is to ensure it is listed as cheapest.

Now, I definetely don't always list as cheapest, in fact most of the time I aim to undercut the second or third cheapest, but I always undercut by 1 credit or, if possible, by less. Why? Because my main goal in trading is making as much profit as possible.

For the guy I'm undercutting it makes no difference whatsoever whether I did it by 1 or 1000 credits. But do you know who will notice the difference if I, and everyone else, constantly undercuts 1000+ credits? Everyone! If 100 items are listed and everyone sells his/hers for 1 credit less, cheapest item is 99 credits cheaper than the most expensive. If everyone undercuts by 1000 credits, well, do the math. I want prices to remain profitable, I don't want them to drop to below profitable.

If these arguments give you reason to not want to buy from me, fine. But do me a favor and stop asking ppl to undercut by more than a credit and call it fair trade, because THAT is bs. Fair is keeping the prices steady, not driving them down.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.