The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Hk- 51 Companion

ninjanatesause

Well HK is meant for lvl 50+, activating him earlier than that, reduces his stats to near 0. (his gear will say something along the lines of unusable due to level)

So, to accompany a tank or healer... he works well... another dps... not so much.

Good point! how do I gear hk up aim endurance or cunning? Can you give me more information on gearing hk up

Simple answer is: Yes. HK is great because he uses Aim and Cunning as a main stat. I find that if I split them evenly, you don't seem to suffer the diminishing returns. My HK is currently geared with the Purple droid armor that I can craft as a 451+ cybertech, and frankly, it's not that hard to make, or expensive.

I think in full 186 gear, and augmented in blue 178's, and with the FA mainhand and offhand weapons, my HK is hovering around 52-53k health and has damaged listed as something around 2100-2400 on his primary attack.

I personally love HK, and would recommend using him to anyone. The assassinate ability alone is worth it, but the commentary he has along the way is icing on the cake

Not to mention she's not any better at tanking OR healing than any of the vanilla companions. People just like her because she can do both.

Actually, Treek is better than any other companion for two reasons:

1. She NEVER breaks CC, even when AoE Tanking.
  2. She gets ALL her skills at level 10, unlike 'normal' companions that get abilities as they level.

Now, the down side is she just won't shut up, but if you can tune out her chatter, she is great.

HK 51 is also good, but being a droid is somewhat tougher to gear. He's also pretty much a single target DPS, which might not mix well with your play style.

Personally, I use Treek on most of my characters now (have Treek charge in and gather up the mobs, then lay down the AoE from a distance), but my assassin tank just hit 60 tonight using HK (double tank or tank + heals did not seem like good leveling combos, so Treek is not a good partner for her).

No, we don't like Treek because SHE IS ANNOYING.

Treek is annoying. Not as bad as the smuggler wookie though. HK-51 is a great companion. I use him on all my toons except my tanks. Best to use a healer companion for those. elara dorne is one I use on my vangaurd. I steam rolled the content on 14 toons after hk came out with no problem. Best companion (and you have to love his humor along the way too) in my opinion. Yes, you have to gear him on par with your level and post 50 is more challenging to gear than some other toons, but well worth it. I unlocked 3 HK-51s through the storyline and the other 18 via one million credit purchases and he was worth every credit.

Good point! how do I gear hk up aim endurance or cunning? Can you give me more information on gearing hk up

Currently, the crafted droid armoring is significantly better than normal gear of the same rating:

168 droid armor is as good as 192 player armor

178 droid armor is as good as 195-ish player armor

186 droid armor is as good as 198 player armor.

As such, get yourself some 186 droid armor if possible.

95% accuracy is all you need to hit all the mobs he's aiming at.

Rest in surge (no good alacrity pieces for him D:)

That should make HK the ultimate killing machine for you.

Oh and try to avoid crit rating where possible. Its not gonna happen at all times, but it does help when you can do it.

Edited by TACeMossie

At low levels, HK with any sniper rifle will do enough damage to trivialize the starter planet. If you have a cybertech and can craft basic green droid gear for him, he is an outstanding DPS who will tank by virtue of killing everything before it reaches you. HK comes with all of his abilities available from lvl 1. With a cybertech and high presence, he is a great fun murder companion for when you are redoing a class story and companion stories don't matter as much.

If you want to use HK, your best bet is to make a cybertech and not rely on outside help for parts (unless your significant other is a cybertech, then you are good).

I'm just here read the "L2P you n00b" comments. So far I'm pretty disappointed.

I thought that was on the threads about Treek where we go "L2P, n00b."

I just threw Aim mods and a Cunning rifle on him with my BH. My JK Cybertech makes T7's gear so tosses extras over to HK.

I Have a Jedi consular shadow tank. I think that fits well with the HK 51 sniper droid. Any thoughts on the matter. Is hk the best companion? What are your thoughts. OR is he worthless?.

Treek is the best companion overall, as she should be, considering her cost of either 2100 CC (assuming no GTN "bargain") or legacy level 40 + 1 mil creds. HK is arguably the best DPS companion.

HK is arguably the best DPS companion.

Not necessarily.

A melee dps companion in "exsanguination mode" will out-damage HK by about 15-20%, even on single target fights. When multiple mobs are around, this goes up even more. Note that Yuun (Trooper companion) is an exception to this as he is bugged.

HK has two advantages:

1. Won't break CC with AOE attacks.

2. Out-of-combat instant kill on silvers.

Now, with the new crafted 186 droid gear, HK gets another boost -- when I get a chance I'll do another parse comparison and see how much of a difference it makes.

On fights that don't require CC, things will die faster with your melee dps companion out.

Edited by Khevar