Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Commando Gunnery Ability: Demolition Round

Dayshadow

Demolition Round. Is it worth it?

3 Grav Round shots and you get a 25% increase in damage from the 5 grav vortexes. That's what... 1750 dmg vs 1400 from a grav round (or 2200 from full auto). It's not even worth using unless you have 5 vortexes and even then the damage increase over simply using another grav round is so minimal as to make it seem like a wasted of skill point. Full auto will do more damage and crit higher and will have a 1in3 chance to cancel it's cooldown with each of those grav rounds you're shooting off. So why would I ever use Demolition round over Full Auto? Hotkey slots are at a premium.

Anyone got up that far yet willing to shed some light?

it's castable while moving, will hit the target the same time your grav round does right after you finish activating grav round and in PvP generally hits around 1600 whereas grav hits 1000-1200.

So in short, yes, yes it is very worth it.

So it's basically a weaker cousin of High Impact Shot; relying on grav round for extra kick?

Edited by Dayshadow

Not to mention it benefits from 30% Extra crit damage compared to HiB or Grav round, I've regularly had Demo round crit for over 3.5k - it crits hard.

I don't see why you're comparing Demo round to Full auto, yes you want to cast Full auto whenever you can, but demo round is instant and can easily replace one of your Grav rounds, it should hardly impact your Full auto procs.

Edited by Celther

Doesn't require Grav Round or DoT or CC to be used. Packs a harder punch than HIB because it's tech based, not weapon and it scales up really well with crit.

What I mean is, without the bonus damage from a grav vortex it does less damage than grav round and still does less damage than full auto based on the info I see in skill tree calculators. However, from what I am reading it sounds like the description on websites is incorrect and it does more damage.

Well with the bonus of deadly cannon it's more like 2200 base damage. Granted full auto is also powered up by deadly cannon, but it doesn't matter.

Your comparing full auto vs demo and that's a mistake. Of course full auto is a better choice. The entire tree is based around powering full auto. but full auto is on a 15 sec cooldown and even with curtain of fire procs it only be used every 7 secs or less. The question which is better.

A stronger cheaper attack every 15 secs or a weaker more expensive one that has a 30% proc chance.

The beautiful thing about Demo round is how much potential burst it gives us. A FA is actual damage over the spam of 2 or so second, however there is a 1 second "ramp up" time where you are channeling before any damage occurs. In pvp you will be laying down your GR to soften up your enemy, with a DR and HIB in quick succession to finish him off. I typically GR a few times to bring a high level healer to about half health, freeze grenade him, then DR HIB and if neither of those crit, meaning he is still alive, either a GR or a FA depending on cooldowns. Also DR goes REALLY well with using relics. I can pop a relic and crit for over 4k. That is pretty substantial from an instant cast!

What I mean is, without the bonus damage from a grav vortex it does less damage than grav round and still does less damage than full auto based on the info I see in skill tree calculators. However, from what I am reading it sounds like the description on websites is incorrect and it does more damage.

Yeah, the website is off. It's higher damage by default than Grav Round and just gets much better with the 25% proc from x5.

• 4 weeks later...

If you want burst damage get the damn thing ill even tell you how to use it right. This is what I do and is based off of full champ character vs a player of close to equal expertise.

After you have applied 4 stacks of the grav round debuff

Sticky grenade > grav round > demo round > high impact bolt

(1.3k-2k). (1.6k-2.4k). (2.5k-4.5k). (2k-3.5k)

That will give you 7.4k-12.4k in damage in roughly 1.5 seconds.

Sticky grenade will go off by the time cast HiB. I'm not counting the time it takes to cast grav round since no damage is being done at that time.

If the man still breathes then cryo grenade full auto. few live since most are at 70-80% after 2 grav rounds and some hammer shots.

The last thing the dead man will see is you casting grav round and this is where i think people got the notion that grav round isn't fair, false its my 4.5k insta cast that every gunnery commando must have.

GET THE TALENT

Yes, Demo Round is a must in a Commando rotation. My DR hits harder than all my moves consistently hitting over 4000 while FA ranges from 3000-7000; less than 3000 when going against bosses in OPS because of their constant spells that hit the whole OPS group, thus making FA only hit twice (terrible glitch btw).

Once your crit chance is high (30-40% range) ammo shouldn't be a concern, so you can cast both full auto and DR to maximize your damage output (the 4pc Columi/Rataka bonus helps A LOT too; 15% higher crit chance when casting GR and HIB and HIB is free).

Edited by Taazzz

demo rounds with 5 stacks of gravity vortex is what gets you 5k+ crits.

edit - high impact bolt + demo round after your last grav round is why so many people are upset at gravity rounds. they don't understand the mechanics and blame the thing we are spamming.

Edited by vvp_pe

I agree it feels a bit lack luster at times in PvE, especially after you get a your 2 piece set bonus that makes Grav Round always "seems" to give big crit numbers.

Sometimes I find myself hitting it simply because I have the spare ammo, and everything else is on CD.

Don't get me wrong, I love the skill, but after all the build up to maximize its damage it feels like a lack of payout at times. Especially if you use a relic to boost your crit/surge rating right before using it, and the number it puts out is smaller than your preceding grav shot. : (

To put it simple Demo Round is basicly the upgraded High-Impact bolt just like Grav Round is a better version of Charged Bolts with the added bonus that Demo Rounds and HiP doesn't share a cooldown.

As mentioned befor DR is the highest hitting attack we got short of a complete mortar volley hit with dmg from betwen 4000-5000 and up to 10k on certain bosses wich get damage taken increases like the new robot in Karragas Palace.

The only dissappointment I got from Demo Round is that it wasn't AoE since it does make a rather nice explosion :S

Edited by hkraven

As mentioned befor DR is the highest hitting attack we got short of a complete mortar volley hit with dmg from betwen 4000-5000 and up to 10k on certain bosses wich get damage taken increases like the new robot in Karragas Palace.

haha yes critting that dude for 10k feels soo good

Edited by vvp_pe

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.